The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Kadri is a kid with 7 points - like Luongo's value, nothing has changed - Kadri is not all of a sudden an untouchable - this to me looks like more of the popular short-term thinking/evaluating - and Gardiner is not "key in all situations". I realize you don't care about these facts, but he faced a very weak quality of competition and had the second highest rate of offensive zone starts for the Leafs - those are the facts regarding a young defenseman who was sheltered, not key in all situations - he was used in a similar way to that in which AV used Hodgson. You could find a Leafs' sourced article referring to exactly that fact if you searched.

You don't need to try to sell Frattin to me, I've been stating since the trade deadline that he makes the most sense of anyone on that (sad) roster, but he is not a centerpiece, simple as that, but I agree, a 1st would be necessary, and then some.

I don't Kadri's value makes him untouchable, but the circumstances surrounding the situation do, they moved 2 top 9 capable centers to give him that spot and he is finally producing. Unless we want to throw Schroeder in the deal (Something I have no interest in doing) We will just have to accept that he has taken a very important role on there team and likely won't go anywhere.

There is really no point going back down the Gardiner road. I will say however, that you should just wait and see when he gets back, as when he does he will be a top 4 D-man and will be put in key situations for them then, since you don't think he has been in them already.

I don't think Frattin is a main piece, I also don't think he is a throw in, a deal like Frattin + 1st offers to mediocre pieces that equal up to being a solid main piece (As I said Frattin's value is that of Tanev to us), then we just need a throw in prospect or something.

I love Lu, I have made that clear, but I am also realistic in knowing that we won't get the moon for him. What are you expecting for Luongo?

MG better hold off on all trade talks for now. I wouldn't feel comfortable trading a red hot goalie yet alone one that looks like he's hitting his prime right now.

Goalies take much longer to develop, and for all we know we're seeing Luongo hit his peak right now. He's only in his early 30's, when most goalies do really come into their own, and he's putting up career numbers. It would be downright stupid to trade a legendary goaltender who will finish in the top-10 in just about every goalie stat, let alone one that is just peaking now.

Keep Luongo, trade Schneider who's still years off his peak. We're watching Luongo play the best hockey of his career. It made sense when people thought he was burned out and finished but he's clearly not, this guy is having a reawakening and it's scary to think how good he might be.

We trade Luongo now and this is the single biggest stuff up in hockey - whoever gets him will go deep in the playoffs while we'll struggle to make them with a young, inexperienced Schneider who's not playing his best hockey right now.

The basis for this post - that 'most goalies come into their prime in their early 30's' - is flat-out FALSE.

A while back, I researched a bunch of NHL starting goaltenders from the past, and the majority of them had their stats majorly fall off at around 34 - the age Luongo is right now. The only goalie in recent years to hit his prime years in his early-to-mid-30's was Tim Thomas - who didn't start playing in the NHL until he was around 30.

Relatively few elite goaltenders can continue to provide top-notch goaltending into their mid-to-late 30's. One of the benefits of giving Luongo these starts is that it gives evidence that he may, in fact, be one of those goalies. There may have been trepidation after his stats noticeably dipped last year. Add in a shortened season, and Luongo's penchant for slow starts, and these past few games may have increased interest among suitors who previously had doubts.

So far Toronto has looked pretty decent, even with Lupul hurt, Kessel with zero goals, and their goaltenders being below average (what else is new). And they're doing it with Jake Gardiner on the Marlies. And for the future, they have amassed quite a few quality D prospects, led by Morgan Reilly.

You have to think that the longer that the playoffs look like a possibility (but not a lock); and the more Luongo shows that he hasn't lost a step, and is not going to have one of his trademark slow starts...Nonis very well may consider upping his offer.

Smashian? Are you reading this? Even Smurf has admitted his satisfaction of seeing better goaltending from Luongo. The wagon has taken off. Are you on it? Or are you just going to be like a complaining grand-pa, bitter toward all good things and continue spreading hate and lowball trade proposals?

Anybody who wouldn't is nothing short of crazy.

I am personally shocked at these Kessel trade rumours coming out of Toronto. Can't imagine them trading Kessel would turn out well. If anything, trade Lupul, maybe even trade Phaneuf. But 24 year-old Phil Kessel? Good luck replacing him. Yeah, he has 0 goals so far, but he's getting nearly 5 SOG per game. They would be nuts to move him.

Archived