The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I completely agree with your post except the bolded parts.

I would be quite interested in Matt Frattin, & of course a 1st, aswell as guys like Biggs, Finn and even Kadri (not that I think they would trade him)

As for NYI, they simply can't afford Lu while they have Dipietro, they can't afford to buyout Rick and we won't take him, it is an unaviodable road block and really they aren't in a position to give up young assets for Luongo right now anyways as they aren't a playoff team with Lu. I don't see how that would make sense for them.

And Bryz has been playing quite well for Philly, as long as he continues this they won't be needing a goalie.

Aside from that great post, +1.

This used to be my line of thinking, but you've gotta think that the longer Lu stays on with us, the higher the odds become that maybe he'll be the one staying permanently.

I've said from the getgo that Schneider would've been the smarter guy to trade, and if that were to happen, I would personally be very happy (depending on the return, of course). The transformation of Luongo since April of 2012 has been remarkable - it's possible that he'll now have a second career wind in him.

The yield from trading Schneider would also still clearly be higher. Far bigger market, younger, cheaper, etc. I could see a quick Schneider trade happening, with Gillis saying that it was never said that Luongo had relinquished his #1 status on this team (which is true, I think).

Anyway, I'd still put it at roughly 60/40 that Lu is the one traded, but, for god's sakes, please just make the trade so we can all move on.

Yes. Quality of Competition. Another "advanced" which just averages opponents' corsi scores - which is based almost entirely on SOG.

Hockey is not baseball. You can't isolate singular events in a hockey game like you can in baseball - pitcher v. hitter, no matter how hard these Bill James wannabes try.

Thanks, but I think you may be wrong about a couple things:

1. Fletcher, Burke, and Nonis have traded away good players and high draft picks and acquired PhaGoof and Mrs. Kessel, truculent pylons, and small prospects; none of which we want. And a short while ago it seemed to be the accepted fact that Luongo had turned down a move to the centre of the Canadian media universe.

2. DiPietro may well be the "player they need to decide what they are going to do with before we can get it done" Gillis was talking about when he said he had a potential deal in place. NYI also has, in my opinion at least, some of the goofiest management in the NHL, is moving to a new building in a better market, and plenty of players, prospects, and draft picks to satisfy GMMG's wish list. He also said it was not with any of the teams everyone was talking about, and at that time, somewhat like now, most people did not think the NY Islanders were a plausible trade partner.

3. Smarter, more knowledgeable people than I on these boards have made good cases for Washington and Florida. With Luongo's good play, new upbeat attitude, and expansion of his list of teams to which he would consent to be moved, perhaps other teams are looking a little closer at what they might need to do to get him. I think Bryzgalov might also have been the "player need to decide etc" but everyone had Philly in the mix back then. Who knows? Gillis has surprised me many times and like DeNiro says, "Gillis is smarter than me."

Anyway, thanks for all your smashes back at K of the BS troll and that ridiculous side-kick of his, Canucks Hockey 101, even if it is feeding the trolls.

Why these people have priviledges here is beyond me.

And no, it is not because they have good content that happens to be saying bad things about the Canucks.

It is because they clutter up the boards with all their crap.

Okay first off, why would they have any interest in Schneider?? They have Pavelec.

Now removing Schneider from the equation for a second and looking at everything else. Where is the incentive for them to make that move?

Byfuglien >>>>>>> Ballard + Raymond

Kane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Schroeder + 1st

They likely wouldn't move Kane for that package alone let alone adding in Byfuglien.

Another example of quantity for quality.

I completely agree with your post except the bolded parts.

I would be quite interested in Matt Frattin, & of course a 1st, aswell as guys like Biggs, Finn and even Kadri (not that I think they would trade him)

As for NYI, they simply can't afford Lu while they have Dipietro, they can't afford to buyout Rick and we won't take him, it is an unaviodable road block and really they aren't in a position to give up young assets for Luongo right now anyways as they aren't a playoff team with Lu. I don't see how that would make sense for them.

And Bryz has been playing quite well for Philly, as long as he continues this they won't be needing a goalie.

Aside from that great post, +1.

The more you post, the more you're turning ugly. You talk about scraps from the Canucks' side and then you throw out names like Biggs, Frattin and Kadri... Very nice work Smashian. Your logic never ceases to amaze.

The most amazing logic you have come up yet is you expected Luongo to play the way he plays but that shouldn't change anything, while disregarding Schneider's sub par numbers. Are you looking for reasons to complain for years to come?

If Luongo is in the process of regaining his rightful position, should you not support the guy? Are you that thick between the ears and ever so vindictive that forgiveness is not on your radar?

Give it a break already. You're like that last guy trying to dig for gold when everyone else know the well is exhausted. And so proud that you'll settle for any dust you find.

Ridiculous.

Archived