The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Who gives MG a free pass?

Most agree that the Ballard trade has not worked out for the best. But MG is still pretty good on the body of his work, but equally worthy of critique (last year and this seasons context) that he has not put the finishing touches on this team despite having asset's including Lou and Ballard to dangle.

It's strange that MG gets a pass for the Ballard trade, calling it "hindsight" (making it somehow more acceptable), yet Burke is ridiculed for this trade, which I'd call a pretty reasonable gamble that didn't go in his direction. Had Toronto finished better in 2010 & 2011, it would've been an absolute steal. How many other 30-goal scorers in their early 20s are there?

Why is Van looking to trade Lou? For the same reason I support Gillis's move to trade Lou the same applies to Brzy. Lou would be an upgrade since his 'playoff' troubles have been less than those of Brzy. Three strong games by Lou doesn't change the fact that CS is fundamently a better tender, cost less and has a shorter contract. I don't write Philly off.

Who gives MG a free pass?

Most agree that the Ballard trade has not worked out for the best. But MG is still pretty good on the body of his work, but equally worthy of critique (last year and this seasons context) that he has not put the finishing touches on this team despite having asset's including Lou and Ballard to dangle.

McGuire and co. speculating on Gillis being at the Wash/Pitts game:

• Not likely a casual scouting trip

• Van has two good goalies in play, very complimentary of Luongo's recent play with no negative talk

• Suggesting Wash prospects are a possible option, with Orlov, Kuznetsov and Forsberg mentioned specifically

• Oates under pressure

interesting that gillis and gillman are in Washington today.... As i was watching the game, I was thinking how good a fit Lui might be with the Caps.

blockbuster trade proposal:

Roberto Luongo, Alex Edler, Mason Raymond

for

John Carlson, Troy Brouwer, Michal Neuvirth, Filip Forsberg, 1st round pick

(Broken down: Edler/Raymond for Carlson/Brouwer and Luongo for Neuvirth, Forsberg, 1st)

Edler is a better top end D-man than Carlson at the moment and imo would fit very nicley into that Adam Oates offence. Carlson is a younger natural RD whos already a top pairing D-man, and has a more appealing cap hit than Edler at just under 4M untill the 17/18 season.

Brouwer can slot in anywhere in the lineup on the right side, helping the forecheck and physicallity of the team. This is an improvement needed to get through the West imo.

Neuvirth is a young tender that can play backup and even push Schneider to maintian a top level performance. Neuvirth out dueled Schneider in the Calder Cup Finals a couple years back. This would also allow for the teams wish to get Eddie Lack another full AHL season in to furthur develop his game, and continued depth at that position.

Forsberg and a 1st are the young assets coveted in the return for Luongo, and would replace the organizational depth at C after moving Hodgson.

Healthy post trade lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Schroeder - Brouwer

Volpatti - Lapierre - Hansen

Weise

Malhotra

Ebbett

Hamhuis - Carlson

Garrison - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Barker

Schneider

Neuvirth

Prospects:

Forsberg

Jensen

Gaunce

Lack

You may just get what you want. I would much rather see Orlov in a deal than Gardiner tbh - the similar skill set with the extra 25lbs on his frame and imo better two way potential makes him look like a pretty reasonable target.

Orlov and Forsberg - get er done MG - and throw in one of them RFA goalies Washington (and a 1st lol).

But we all know how sweet MG is on John Carlson. :)

Anyway, no need to respond with "we won't be getting so and so"... ok?

Simply expressing that I concur with Orlov being a primary piece in a deal - and with MG watching the Caps surrender 6, no doubt it's gonna heat up the speculation...

McGuire and co. speculating on Gillis being at the Wash/Pitts game:

• Not likely a casual scouting trip

• Van has two good goalies in play, very complimentary of Luongo's recent play with no negative talk

• Suggesting Wash prospects are a possible option, with Orlov, Kuznetsov and Forsberg mentioned specifically

• Oates under pressure

Great stuff, "not likely a casual scouting trip" and I love seeing the names of these great up and coming players listed as possible parts in a Luongo trade:

Orlov

Forsberg

Carlson

Dare to dream would be Orlov, Forsberg, and a 1st.

(I am biased against Russians and do not feel they are worth the risks, so no thanks to OV, or Kuznetsov.)

If Gillis is still stuck on "a player, a prospect, and a pick", what is Forsberg? A Player and a Prospect?

We might get Forsberg as a prospect and a player to slot in for now, perhaps "one of them RFA goalies" mentioned above.

It might be easier to get a higher pick from Washington if it was an exchange of picks, for example, our 3rd for their 2nd, or our 1st for their 1st.

Orlov, Carlson, and a swap of picks?

If Washington was one of the teams that:

a) needed to do something about a player, what might they have done?

B) wanted Gillis to take back a bad contract, how has that been resolved?

Yahoo! Looks like it is going to get done soon.

Archived