3019 replies to this topic

#481 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

We're in no rush right now. We have a winning team and Luongo is being a great leader not making any trouble.

All the cards are in MG's hands. Just have to wait for someone to panic.

Subbancopy.jpg

#482 DD_Bwest

DD_Bwest

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

has it been announced whose starting in net tomorrow? cs or luo? im trying to set my fantasy roster

#483 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

For all the people here who think we're going to get a great return for Lu...:

1. Lu asked to be traded. And, then he went on television and told the world that. You can say 'he didn't ask to be traded, he only said he'd do what's best for the team' - but that's pure crap. When you have an NTC and tell your team you wouldn't mind being traded - that's a trade-request. If he was doing what's best for the team, he wouldn't have asked for a trade - and if he did, he wouldn't have made that public. You'll also remember that just recently, he told a reporter that he doesn't want to be here long-term. When other teams know a player wants out, they don't offer anything of value for him. They know we have to get rid of him, so they can sit back and wait for us to get desperate. And, that's exactly what they have been doing.
2. Lu is, right now, our backup goaltender. Name me one other backup who was traded for a massive package of top players, prospects AND picks. Why would other teams trade away their future for a goalie who just got badly outplayed by a rookie/sophmore the last two years?
3. Lu has a massive contract, that has him playing into his mid-40's. That's a massive negative in any trade. Notice how Gillis mentioned that every team that offers us anything for Lu tacks on a massive contract that we'll have to buy-out?
4. It's been reported (now by multiple hockey journalists, most recently Tony Gallagher on Team1040) that Lu refused to waive his NTC to go to Toronto at the draft, so that he could give Florida more time to up their offer. When a player tries to force a team to trade him to a specific team (or very short list of teams), his original team never gets much in return. Florida knows Lu is trying to force a trade there AND they don't need him, so they aren't going to pull the trigger on a deal unless they absolutely rape us. Until Lu gives us a large list of possible teams, we'll be stuck with a bad deal.

The only thing going in our favour on this is the fact that Gillis is one of the best GMs in the history of the NHL. But, he can't work miracles. So, don't expect a top-6 forward, a top-tier prospect and a 1st round draft pick. That's insane. We'd be lucky to get much more than one of those...

1. Yes

2. Just because he is a 'backup' in vancouver doesn't mean he is a backup - this is an absurd argument offered by trolls, leaf fans who want him for a bag of pucks, and weak minds. Your logic is absolute nonsense, anyone who understands hockey cannot make this argument and want to be viewed as intelligent. He is a top ten goalie and was top ten amongst starters in save% last year, two years ago if the nucks won the cup he would have likely won the conn smythe, so what you are saying is just plain stupid.

3. Again, stupid. Massive contract? 5.3 for a top ten goalie? thats actually a bargain. And if he can play till he's 38 which is likely since he's never sustained a major injury, then he's getting paid 2 ml as a backup for 2 more years, and if not you buy him out. The REASON THE CBA REMOVED HIS TYPE OF CONTRACT WAS NOT BECAUSE ITS UNFAVOURABLE!!!. common sense here bud, again a false argument.

4. He's publicly said he's open to other places but likely doesn't want Edm/CBJ which I can understand, and we should do our best within reason to get him somewhere he wants to play, given all he's given to this franchise.

5. Washinton, Toronto, Florida, NYI all say hi in terms of needing a goalie, not sure if you're so right on anything here :)

Try harder thinking a bit more next time before your spew sillyness..

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 26 January 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#484 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Toronto is dying, but they have no assets to give back for Luongo. They're done.

Florida is dying also, and they have some pieces that we want.

Washington needs anything, and they have lots of pieces.

Intriguing.

Yup, I think washington is ripe for the picking! and this could restock our shelves!

They need a change there clearly, Lou's leadership would help, bring some excitement to the team before it gets too bad.

#485 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Just remember, it is still only a week into the season. A lot can change.

true , but teams know if you're in the hole 10-12 games in your may be f'd. its a 48 game season, 12 games is the equivalent of 20 in a usual year...a bad first 20..you think you'd make the playoffs? doubt it...

its a sprint bud, every game is funding the ticket to the playoffs....can't afford to have a bad stretch.

i think there will be alot of calls for Lou tomorrow/monday and my guess is he's gone by the end of next week. No one wants to wait till game 12 to find out oh boy, we need to make a move, as by then, it may very well be too late.

#486 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

has it been announced whose starting in net tomorrow? cs or luo? im trying to set my fantasy roster

I thought I heard it was Schneids starting tomorrow, then Lui on Monday.

Edited by MJDDawg, 26 January 2013 - 09:51 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#487 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

true , but teams know if you're in the hole 10-12 games in your may be f'd. its a 48 game season, 12 games is the equivalent of 20 in a usual year...a bad first 20..you think you'd make the playoffs? doubt it...

its a sprint bud, every game is funding the ticket to the playoffs....can't afford to have a bad stretch.

i think there will be alot of calls for Lou tomorrow/monday and my guess is he's gone by the end of next week. No one wants to wait till game 12 to find out oh boy, we need to make a move, as by then, it may very well be too late.

I know what you're saying that teams shouldn't wait until 1/4 of the season is gone, but I think 2-3 more of the blown leads and big losses will get talks going. (ie. WSH, FLA, TOR)

hL9YqYN.jpg

#488 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

To Vancouver: Dimitry Orlov, Micheal Nuevirth, 1st, 3rd

To Washington: Roberto Luongo

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 26 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

zackass.png

#489 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

1. Yes

2. Just because he is a 'backup' in vancouver doesn't mean he is a backup - this is an absurd argument offered by trolls, leaf fans who want him for a bag of pucks, and weak minds. Your logic is absolute nonsense, anyone who understands hockey cannot make this argument and want to be viewed as intelligent. He is a top ten goalie and was top ten amongst starters in save% last year, two years ago if the nucks won the cup he would have likely won the conn smythe, so what you are saying is just plain stupid.

3. Again, stupid. Massive contract? 5.3 for a top ten goalie? thats actually a bargain. And if he can play till he's 38 which is likely since he's never sustained a major injury, then he's getting paid 2 ml as a backup for 2 more years, and if not you buy him out. The REASON THE CBA REMOVED HIS TYPE OF CONTRACT WAS NOT BECAUSE ITS UNFAVOURABLE!!!. common sense here bud, again a false argument.

4. He's publicly said he's open to other places but likely doesn't want Edm/CBJ which I can understand, and we should do our best within reason to get him somewhere he wants to play, given all he's given to this franchise.

5. Washinton, Toronto, Florida, NYI all say hi in terms of needing a goalie, not sure if you're so right on anything here :)

Try harder thinking a bit more next time before your spew sillyness..

Talk about spewing sillyness.
There is a buyout period after this season and after next season, so 4 years down the road you cannot buy a player out. It is the 5,3 million cap hit for the next 10 years is the problem with Lu's contract.

#490 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Talk about spewing sillyness.
There is a buyout period after this season and after next season, so 4 years down the road you cannot buy a player out. It is the 5,3 million cap hit for the next 10 years is the problem with Lu's contract.

:picard:

next year and this year is just the COMPLIANCE buyouts with no CAP ramifications, you can still buyout players after that with the exact same buyout formula from the previous CBA.

#491 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

To Vancouver: Dimitry Orlov, Micheal Nuevirth, 1st, 3rd

To Washington: Roberto Luongo

I think we need something to help us now as well.

I'm still not totally comfortable with the amount of grit in our lineup. Sure it's fine for the regular season, but come playoff time it likely won't be.

I say Brouwer has to be included in any deal with Washington. We need the 1a/1b and 3a/3b type of depth to go deep again.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 January 2013 - 10:08 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#492 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I think we need something to help us now as well.

I'm still not totally comfortable with the amount of grit in our lineup. Sure it's fine for the regular season, but come playoff time it likely won't be.

I say Brouwer has to be included in any deal with Washington. We need the 1a/1b and 3a/3b type of depth to go deep again.

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian (1A)
Booth - Kesler - Burrows (1B)
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen (3A)
Higgins - Manny - Lappy (3B)
Vopatti - Ebbett - Weise (4th)

That's not good enough 1A/1B, 3A/3B?

Not sure where Brouwer fits myself, is he better than Hansen/Raymond? Likely not. Would be adding unneccisary assets to the 4th line

Even to go a step further..

Hamhuis - Bieksa (1A)
Garrison - Edler (1B)
Ballard - Tanev (2nd)

Schneider (1A)
Luongo (1A)

I like our depth :bigblush:

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 26 January 2013 - 10:18 PM.

zackass.png

#493 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Vopatti - Ebbett - Weise (4)

Not sure where Brouwer fits myself, is he better than Hansen/Raymond? Likely not. Would be adding unneccisary assets to the 4th line

Hamhuis - Bieksa (1A)
Garrison - Edler (1B)
Ballard - Tanev (2)

Schneider (1A)
Luongo (1A)

Doubt Schroeder makes it for full time NHL duty in his 1st season. Especially when cast in a 3rd line roll. So you bump Lappy back to the middle and Brouwer takes the wing. And yes hes better than both, a big body who uses his size and can pot 20g and close to 40pts hes a very nice player who can run up and down your line up. Also gives you another power forward look with the Twins if Zack runs into some rough spots which he will.

All that said... MoJo is the guy I REALLY want if we do a deal with Wsh. Perfect 3rd line center for this team. Gives you a legit 2nd unit PP center and can play in all situations. Makes us younger and more talented.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Raymond(if he returns to form) Kes Booth

Burrows MoJo Hansen

Higgins Malhotra Lappy

Now that is true balance... Burrows shuffles down the line up ONLY to strenghen us from top to bottom a true 1 2a 2b situation. That would be the best 3rd line in hockey and the 4th looks fantastic with Weise giving you another look if Manny struggles or Lappy gets away from what he needs to be doing.

Edited by sirensong87, 26 January 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#494 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hamhuis - Bieksa (1A)
Garrison - Edler (1B)
Ballard - Tanev (2nd)

Schneider (1A)
Luongo (1A)

I think you'd have Brouwer on the third line and move Lappy down to centre the fourth line. Ebbett and Manny become the extra forwards with Hanson, Higgy and Weise being moved around as needed. But you're right...you start to have a bunch of similar players on those bottom two lines. But that's ok...remember the Kings last playoffs (and most Stanley Cup teams for that matter) got big contributions from their bottom two lines. So if you bring in Brouwer, maybe it's not incomprehensible that in the playoffs you could play Higgins or even Hanson on the "fourth" line.

Edited by MJDDawg, 26 January 2013 - 10:31 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#495 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hamhuis - Bieksa (1A)
Garrison - Edler (1B)
Ballard - Tanev (2nd)

Schneider (1A)
Luongo (1A)

Your 3rd line is marshmellow soft when it comes to playoff hockey. Playoff hockey is won along the boards and that is not the right mix for a playoff winning formula.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#496 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Doubt Schroeder makes it for full time NHL duty in his 1st season. Especially when cast in a 3rd line roll. So you bump Lappy back to the middle and Brouwer takes the wing. And yes hes better than both, a big body who uses his size and can pot 20g and close to 40pts hes a very nice player who can run up and down your line up. Also gives you another power forward look with the Twins if Zack runs into some rough spots which he will.

Your 3rd line is marshmellow soft when it comes to playoff hockey. Playoff hockey is won along the boards and that is not the right mix for a playoff winning formula.

I think you'd have Brouwer on the third line and move Lappy down to centre the fourth line. Ebbett becomes the extra forward.

If Schroeder continues this play, he will stick with the club.

Interesting dynamic you bring up though.

If Raymond continues this play (and continues it with Schroeder) then Schroeder sticks and Raymond is more valuable.

I like Hansen though, I like Brouwer too but I don't think Brouwer is a major upgrade, Hansen brings a rare combination of speed, size and grit, and even some offense, not as much as Brouwer but Brouwer doesn't have the mobility Hansen does. I Also think Brouwer can be pretty inconsistent at times.

a Bottom 9 of.

Brouwer - Lappierre - Hansen
Raymond - Schroeder - Higgins

is great aswell, although it leave Manny out of the line-up if we want to have a scoring type of 3B line.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 26 January 2013 - 10:26 PM.

zackass.png

#497 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Bingo.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#498 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

i really dont like brouwers caphit going into next season as a player that has no chance of playing in your top6. hes a 3rd line player a good one, but almost 4million for a 3rd line winger? no thanks.

#499 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

And how do the Canucks fit Brouwer's $3.7 into next years cap? I like Brouwer but no thanks for a 3rd liner,

The prospects cupboard is fairly bare, a bigger trade for blue chip is ideal.

Edited by sampy, 26 January 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#500 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

i really dont like brouwers caphit going into next season as a player that has no chance of playing in your top6. hes a 3rd line player a good one, but almost 4million for a 3rd line winger? no thanks.

Yeah, I don't like that cap hit either but he is a better defensive player than Booth is and if Booth isn't a 25g 50pt guy, then is his $4.2m cap hit not an even bigger anchor (since he's kind of a defensive liability out there at times)?

#501 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hamhuis - Bieksa (1A)
Garrison - Edler (1B)
Ballard - Tanev (2nd)

Schneider (1A)
Luongo (1A)

That fourth line can't really be considered a third line. Not on a cup winning team anyways.

Don't get me wrong I like our depth, but it can always be better. Especially since trading Luongo would free up 5.3 mil in cap space. Might as well use it.

Brouwer is better than Raymond and Hansen. He brings much more to the table than those two. It.s not always about whose better either. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little skill for more grit.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Raymond Schroeder Brouwer
Higgins Lapierre Hansen

That's the type of depth I'm talking about.

Posted Image

#502 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Better than a 2.5 million dollar fourth liner.

Malhotra and Raymond likely won't be re-signed, so that's your cap space right there.

This may be one of our last few good chances at a cup. We need something to help us go for it now, plus something for the future.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 January 2013 - 10:36 PM.

Posted Image

#503 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

That fourth line can't really be considered a third line. Not on a cup winning team anyways.

Don't get me wrong I like our depth, but it can always be better. Especially since trading Luongo would free up 5.3 mil in cap space. Might as well use it.

Brouwer is better than Raymond and Hansen. He brings much more to the table than those two. It.s not always about whose better either. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little skill for more grit.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins Lapierre Hansen

I think the 4th line is one. Lappy and Higgins are both capable 3rd liners, Manny is the only question mark.

I do really like your line-up though. the 3rd line especially, Brouwer's grit, size counterbalances the speed, and skill that Raymond & JS bring quite nicely. And Brouwer brings some offense too. Then that 4th line is a proven 3rd line. Only thing is. We don't have Manny for Faceoffs. Meaning our only left hander capable of taking big draws in Henrik.

Other than that I actually like it alot.

To Vancouver: Brouwer, Nuevirth, Orlov or 1st

To Washington: Luongo

zackass.png

#504 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Yeah, I don't like that cap hit either but he is a better defensive player than Booth is and if Booth isn't a 25g 50pt guy, then is his $4.2m cap hit not an even bigger anchor (since he's kind of a defensive liability out there at times)?

very true, i did think of that as well when i wrote my previous comment, but unlike brouwer were stuck with booth unless gillis compliance buys him out. id rather not have 2 players making a combined 8million who cant deliver. especially with the smaller cap.

unless we take lesser prospects from washington in return for them keeping part of brouwers contract maybe 1.5million worth? then id do a deal all day long for brouwer(2.2mil cap), neuvirth and a mid tier prospect/pick maybe tom wilson or orlov (dont know much about them just a quick look at their prospect roster)

#505 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Solid lineup but I still think a Raymond-Schroeder duo is too soft for playoff hockey. I guess we could always swap Booth and Raymond around if Raymond and Schroeder stop puttin' up numbers.

#506 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Solid lineup but I still think a Raymond-Schroeder duo is too soft for playoff hockey. I guess we could always swap Booth and Raymond around if Raymond and Schroeder stop puttin' up numbers.

And you'd still have Volpatti, Manny and Weise presumably still hanging around.

1zchaix.jpg

#507 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

very true, i did think of that as well when i wrote my previous comment, but unlike brouwer were stuck with booth unless gillis compliance buys him out. id rather not have 2 players making a combined 8million who cant deliver. especially with the smaller cap.

unless we take lesser prospects from washington in return for them keeping part of brouwers contract maybe 1.5million worth? then id do a deal all day long for brouwer(2.2mil cap), neuvirth and a mid tier prospect/pick maybe tom wilson or orlov (dont know much about them just a quick look at their prospect roster)

Tom Wilson would be a nice fit for down the road when the Sedins retire.

Rodin-Kesler-Kassian
Jensen-Schroeder-Wilson

Gaunce in the #3 hole.

#508 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Depends who we play, if it is a bigger team the Hansen/Higgins line gets more icetime.

Also playoff hockey is more intense and physical but at the end of the day it is still hockey. It's the same game. Raymond has played fine in the playoffs before and Schroeder has played on many intense stages in the WJ, including playing in it a year before his draft year. (Against/with competition like Stamkos, Doughty, Okposo, Pacioretty, exc.)

zackass.png

#509 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,338 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Will people ever understand what NEWS ONLY means?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#510 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins Lapierre Hansen

the more i think about this the more i think your right. that is a scary lineup with all kinds of depth. Would suck to have to waive 2 of malhotra/weise/volpatti to get to the 23 man roster. Although they could always waive barker and go with 7 D's since even if he is claimed vandermeer doesnt have to go on reentry waivers if they need him in the playoffs.

more i think about it the more i like it for both teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.