The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Tanev is a very good young man that is working on a 2way game, much like Edler. Edler plays with the twins on the PP so his stats are definately inflated. Edler is a very good 2way dman with offensive upside but his skating ability does not touch Gardiner. Canucks do not have a player with Gardiner's skating ability. Someone like a Niedermayer that can take it from behind the net and carry it the length of the ice. This is why you always see the drop pass on the PP. Edler and Tanev are very good and better defensively than Gardiner but he brings an element which the Canucks do not have in their system (unless Corrado continues to develop).

I'd be very happy with a Bozak and Gardiner trade.

Oh ya, did Luongo ever look happy sitting on the bench last night.

Who wouldn't want to sit on the bench in the prime of their career.

If that was the case why would he feel it was time to move on?

Luongo wants to play and it is killing him.

I hear what you'e saying Noheart, but if Luo weren't happy, should Gillis really care that much? It's not AV or Gillis' job to please him.

If he stews and plays angry with something to prove so be it. I don't think it's too much for the Canuck's to expect his patience. Nothing else serves the situation. I think he knows that he needs to remain patient and it'll get resolved soon enough. He's getting compensated fairly well either way. Gillis also has the added complication that Eddie Lack isn't healthy putting a slight curveball into things. Does he want to waste value on another backup or wait it out a bit? Florida seems to be destination #1 for Luo but have a handful of injuries that make it difficult for them to make a move in the short term.

This is professional sport. If you get outcompeted, the other guy earns some of your starts. Their is no seigneurity system despite the union haha. Luo will have to suck it up and be patient - him adding any complications won't be in his own interest or Gillis'.

I think there's no doubt Gillis intends to move him at the first convenience, but isn't going to cave to panhandling, lowballing teams. I also don't doubt that the offers will improve in the immediate future and Gillis will strike when the opportunity presents itself.

I was responding to your following post re Luongo applying pressure and MG playing with fire.

Of course Luongo wants to play every game. Of course he wants to be a starter. But your above post claims MG is playing with fire.

Again I ask what would Luongo do? Go home and sit on his couch? Give up $6.7 mill?

Just curious. Where do you see Gardiner fitting in the top 6?

In my opinion, I much prefer two way defensemen. I don't see Gardiner anywhere near ready to displace any of the top 4. Which leaves him paired with Tanev imo and I simply don't like that as a third pairing. Not enough defensive punch there - I'd prefer Ballard in that role, who by the way, isn't chopped liver when it comes to his skating ability.

I don't see Gardiner as a good fit at all, with the exception of as a puck carrier on the powerplay as you mention, but imo too much of a sacrifice otherwise to make him worthwhile. I'd much rather see us go the opposite way and get another shutdown defenseman and leave the scoring to Edler, Garrison and the forwards. With the goaltending and two-way blueline the Canucks have, they don't need to get into trading scoring chances style hockey. Gardiner imo is not an upgrade on either of them - they move the puck just fine, have big shots, and are strong players in their own end of the ice.

What would be the pairings with Gardiner in the lineup?

I'd be open to taking Gardiner and then reflipping him for a better fit - ie a Couturier type two way center.

I don't think the Canucks need to win the lottery with this deal.

Make a concession to Tallon - thank him for all he's given the Canucks - same with Luo.

Let him keep Bjugstad. Let him keep Gudbranson, etc.

Give us an under-rated, solid third line C like Goc, and a couple good prospects including Petrovic and I'm happy.

Is that too much to ask?

I agree, if there is an blue chip forward available it is a bigger need for the Canucks. But having a blue chip offensive dman would change the Canucks attack. Look at what Ehrhoff brought and how successful the Canucks were and he isn't half of what Gardiner will be. The 2011 Canucks with Ehrhoff carrying the puck was better than the 2012 Canucks trying to fill the void by committee. Their PP was useless and predictable by time the playoffs started.

IMO a very good offensive dman would take the Canucks to the next level.

I don't think the Canucks need to win the lottery with this deal.

Make a concession to Tallon - thank him for all he's given the Canucks - same with Luo.

Let him keep Bjugstad. Let him keep Gudbranson, etc.

Give us an under-rated, solid third line C like Goc, and a couple good prospects including Petrovic and I'm happy.

Is that too much to ask?

With Tanev.

True there is no guarantee with Gardiner but one thing is for sure is that he has elite skating ability.

A Forsberg, Nino, Bjustad etc would be better but the Canucks don't need another 2nd tier forward and that is all TO really has to offer.

With Tanev.

True there is no guarantee with Gardiner but one thing is for sure is that he has elite skating ability.

A Forsberg, Nino, Bjustad etc would be better but the Canucks don't need another 2nd tier forward and that is all TO really has to offer.

Archived