3019 replies to this topic

#601 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,139 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Don't you think Higgins, the way he is playing right now, with our team healthy (meaning he would be on the 4th line) is expendable for the right player? A player like Clutterbuck?

And an RFA is alot better than a UFA :P

I'm not sure what you mean by the way he's playing right now. It's four games into the season - I think he's been fine - and the lines have been experimental. HIggins is one of the last people I'd see as expendable. I'd like to have Clutterbuck, but I personally would use other assets.

#602 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,139 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Id rather see Schroeder play 4th line minutes than see Weise hog the puck and fall everywhere

:)

#603 Skead

Skead

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Bruce Garrioch

Lots of teams are waiting to see where the dominos fall with Vancouver G Roberto Luongo before making a move for a netminder. Canucks GM Mike Gillis has told several teams he's not doing anything until he gets his asking price. Yes, the Edmonton Oilers have what it takes to acquire Luongo, but he wouldn't approve a trade there. The Panthers don't want to make a deal unless Gillis is willing to take cash back. The Canucks know the pressure is mounting in some markets to win and they'll find a desperate GM trying to save his job, maybe even Washington or Philly.

Posted this in the news; what do you guys think? Bigger push from WAS/PHI/FLA now? :)

Edited by Skead, 27 January 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#604 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

TO isn't going to give up Kessel. Although I must admit, I would rather have had their 2 first round picks.

Although they have suck a bad drafting record, and an even poorer development record (the drafting is a crap-shoot, but development is all on them) I think they probably got a better player in Kessel than they would have had if they had kept those pics... They (Nonis and Burke) don't actually "develop" their pics, they just hope they work out... At least that is the optics.

So no more about TO please, it is sickening. I would love to see TO be a great team, it would be great for hockey. Problem is all these losing years and very little young talent. bah! it's depressing just thinking about it.

#605 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Oh yeah, Minnesota might need Luongo, since Harding is their starting goaltender, and Harding is diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but if your not they do have Backstrom and Harding is still able to play :P

Why does everyone forget Matt Hackett? They'll likely move away from Backstrom unless he wants to take less, then they can go with Harding, who won't be affected by MS enough in the immediate future to be an issue, and continue to bring along Hackett.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#606 Black Mountain

Black Mountain

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Central

I think it is safe to say that this division will be won by the Hawks or Blues. Predators will still be competitive Wings will take a step back this year and the Blue Jackets are the Blue Jackets. Hawks Blues Predators all make the playoffs. Red Wings feel the effect of the post Lidstrom era. The draft lottery will be fixed and the Wings get Seth Jones ;) Just my opinion but Luongo will not end up in the Central.

Pacific

Same thing I think the Sharks and The Kings will fight it out for the division. The Ducks and Stars will also be competitive and make the playoffs. The Ducks have a big offseason and need to make the playoffs. Luongo could help them but I think they stick with Hiller. The Stars are set in Goal and getting Benn resigned early in the season is huge for their playoff push. Great season for the Coyotes last year but they will be on the outside looking in. Sharks Kings Ducks and Stars all make the Playoffs. Luongo does not go to the Pacific.

North West

Short and sweet Canucks win the Division. They are the only team from their division to make the playoffs. Gillis will not trade Luongo to any team in the North West unless he some how has esp and knows that the Wild will be realigned to the east next year.

West Recap

In

Canucks
Blues
Sharks
Black Hawks
Kings
Stars
Predators
Ducks

Out

Wild
Oilers
Coyotes
Aves
Red Wings
Flames
Blue Jackets

This is not in any order of how I think the teams will finnish in the standings besides the obvious teams I have making the playoffs. The only team that is not in our division that could make the playoffs with Luongo is the Red Wing but like I said before I do not see them making a play for him. Luongo will not stay in the west

North East

I think the Bruins will win the division the Senators a close second. The Sabres are on the Bubble they have a goalie and have no need for Luongo. Canadiens have Price same as the Sabres. The laughable Leafs don't need to say alot about them they could make the playoffs with Luongo and with out a doubt could use him. It has been speculated at nauseum that he could end up in Toronto. I think Nonis is going to wait as long as he can before he caves in to Gillis's asking price.

Atlantic

The toughest division in the league in my opinion. I think the Rangers will win the division. The Penguins and Flyers fight it out for the second and third spots both making the playoffs. The Devils and Islanders will be golfing. The Flyers Devils and Islanders could all use Luongo. Brodeur is not getting any younger but the Devils are not in a financial postion to take on Luongos contract. The Islanders are assembling a good young group of players but the Dipietro contract really hurts them making a play for Luongo. Gillis has already gone on record saying he will not except a player that is just a salary dump or a potential buyout contract. The Flyers where to start. As out there as Bryzgalov is the Flyers will still make the playoffs. Could they use Luongo? With out a doubt but I would say their top priority is a defence man or two. Bryzgalov's contract is also a issue that I can not see getting resolved until the offseason. The X factor for me is Paul Holmgren he is by far the most agressive GM in the league and he has publicly told Bryzgalov to shut up and play. I wish more GM's in the league were like him.

South East

This division is wide open to me. The Caps will win the division and the Hurricanes finish in second. The only teams that do not have real questions about their goaltending are the Hurricanes and Jets. The Lightning went out and got a young unproven goalie that could get them in the playoffs. Luongo I think would put this team over the top but Yzerman is sticking to his guns plus the Lecavalier contract. Would I consider Lecavalier for Luongo straight up..... I would but Gillis is not going to take that contract on. Much like the Leafs the Panther have been in on Luongo from the very begining. Tallon has assembled a great group of young talent but unlike Brian Burke Tallon is showing patience with his prospects. I do think that after making the playoffs last year and the loss of revenue from the lockout that the ownership group is going to be putting pressure on Tallon to make the playoffs again and Luongo I think would get them there. Bjugstad is the main player Gillis wants out of Floridia. Tallon has said he is not willing to move him but Bjugstad is not on their roster this year and would not effect their chances of making the playoffs. Floridia is still right near the top for Luongo. The Caps I have them winning the division but another division title and making the playoffs is just not good enough anymore in Washington. George Mcphee is starting to feel the pressure and getting a goalie who could put you in the finals could save his job. I think they are one of the only teams that are willing and have the assets Gillis wants back.

East Recap

In

Bruins
Senators
Rangers
Flyers
Penguins
Hurricanes
Capitals

Bubble

Lightining
Sabres
Panthers

Out

Canadiens
Devils
Islanders
Jets
Leafs - Luongo could change that

I think Luongo ends up in the East with only three teams really being intrested Philly(I would hate to play poker against Holmgren) could be number four. Nonis seems to want to give his young guys a chance to play. It seems less and less likley Luongo will be a leaf. The Panthers is where he wants to go but is Tallon going to move the assets in order to get the deal done? I think he could for teams like the Panthers making the playoffs is huge post lockout. Washington I think is the team Gillis was referring to in the Cam Cole interview. They still have Holtby but Luongo would really put this team in the mix for a cup. I say he ends up in Washington. I am not going to put a proposal together as alot of the CDCer's have put proposals that I think are close to what we may get back.

This is just my opinion B)
Posted Image

#607 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,139 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Bruce Garrioch

Posted this in the news; what do you guys think? Bigger push from WAS/PHI/FLA now? :)

If teams aren't interested in Luongo, wouldn't they simply go ahead and look elsewhere, and cut a deal if it's there? If in fact alot of them are waiting, wouldn't that suggest they are interested in Luongo - otherwise I don't buy the logic of him holding up other deals - if anything teams with goaltenders that they may want to move prior to acquiring Luongo could heat up the talks before his deal as much as after.

#608 Skead

Skead

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

If teams aren't interested in Luongo, wouldn't they simply go ahead and look elsewhere, and cut a deal if it's there? If in fact alot of them are waiting, wouldn't that suggest they are interested in Luongo - otherwise I don't buy the logic of him holding up other deals - if anything teams with goaltenders that they may want to move prior to acquiring Luongo could heat up the talks before his deal as much as after.

I guess the way I see it is; If WAS gets Luongo, maybe Holtby is freed up? If Florida gets Luongo *MAYBE* Markstrom is free? A trade can definitely set off a chain reaction of opportunities.

#609 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Everyone was happy when Hodgson was playing the third line last year, was mad when we traded him away. So why can't Schroeder play the third line and be effective ? I'd say he's faster, more tenacious and defensively responsible than Hodgson.
Raymond - Kesler - Booth
Burrows - Schroeder - Hansen
While I can understand that people want more of a hard grinding and big center, but Kesler has been known to shutdown lines by himself and Burrows and Hansen on that line are excellent checkers, have speed and good skill to put up points.

#610 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I guess the way I see it is; If WAS gets Luongo, maybe Holtby is freed up? If Florida gets Luongo *MAYBE* Markstrom is free? A trade can definitely set off a chain reaction of opportunities.

Reimer, Scrivens, Neuvirth, Theodore, Clemmensen..... Lots of dominoes

#611 Skead

Skead

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Everyone was happy when Hodgson was playing the third line last year, was mad when we traded him away. So why can't Schroeder play the third line and be effective ? I'd say he's faster, more tenacious and defensively responsible than Hodgson.
Raymond - Kesler - Booth
Burrows - Schroeder - Hansen
While I can understand that people want more of a hard grinding and big center, but Kesler has been known to shutdown lines by himself and Burrows and Hansen on that line are excellent checkers, have speed and good skill to put up points.

Here's our problem;

Burrows at 4.5 Million a year is pretty hefty for third line duties, and I think Schroeder can be an awesome top 6 player, but lacking bottom 6. We need a big, two way center for the 3rd line.

Sedins-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-3rd Center-Hansen
Weise-Lapierre-Volpatti

Spares/Trade: Raymond or Higgins

#612 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

no russians please.

Brouwer+ Johansen + 2nd

Yes Burke. We understand.

#613 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Central

I think it is safe to say that this division will be won by the Hawks or Blues. Predators will still be competitive Wings will take a step back this year and the Blue Jackets are the Blue Jackets. Hawks Blues Predators all make the playoffs. Red Wings feel the effect of the post Lidstrom era. The draft lottery will be fixed and the Wings get Seth Jones ;) Just my opinion but Luongo will not end up in the Central.

Pacific

Same thing I think the Sharks and The Kings will fight it out for the division. The Ducks and Stars will also be competitive and make the playoffs. The Ducks have a big offseason and need to make the playoffs. Luongo could help them but I think they stick with Hiller. The Stars are set in Goal and getting Benn resigned early in the season is huge for their playoff push. Great season for the Coyotes last year but they will be on the outside looking in. Sharks Kings Ducks and Stars all make the Playoffs. Luongo does not go to the Pacific.

North West

Short and sweet Canucks win the Division. They are the only team from their division to make the playoffs. Gillis will not trade Luongo to any team in the North West unless he some how has esp and knows that the Wild will be realigned to the east next year.

West Recap

In

Canucks
Blues
Sharks
Black Hawks
Kings
Stars
Predators
Ducks

Out

Wild
Oilers
Coyotes
Aves
Red Wings
Flames
Blue Jackets

This is not in any order of how I think the teams will finnish in the standings besides the obvious teams I have making the playoffs. The only team that is not in our division that could make the playoffs with Luongo is the Red Wing but like I said before I do not see them making a play for him. Luongo will not stay in the west

North East

I think the Bruins will win the division the Senators a close second. The Sabres are on the Bubble they have a goalie and have no need for Luongo. Canadiens have Price same as the Sabres. The laughable Leafs don't need to say alot about them they could make the playoffs with Luongo and with out a doubt could use him. It has been speculated at nauseum that he could end up in Toronto. I think Nonis is going to wait as long as he can before he caves in to Gillis's asking price.

Atlantic

The toughest division in the league in my opinion. I think the Rangers will win the division. The Penguins and Flyers fight it out for the second and third spots both making the playoffs. The Devils and Islanders will be golfing. The Flyers Devils and Islanders could all use Luongo. Brodeur is not getting any younger but the Devils are not in a financial postion to take on Luongos contract. The Islanders are assembling a good young group of players but the Dipietro contract really hurts them making a play for Luongo. Gillis has already gone on record saying he will not except a player that is just a salary dump or a potential buyout contract. The Flyers where to start. As out there as Bryzgalov is the Flyers will still make the playoffs. Could they use Luongo? With out a doubt but I would say their top priority is a defence man or two. Bryzgalov's contract is also a issue that I can not see getting resolved until the offseason. The X factor for me is Paul Holmgren he is by far the most agressive GM in the league and he has publicly told Bryzgalov to shut up and play. I wish more GM's in the league were like him.

South East

This division is wide open to me. The Caps will win the division and the Hurricanes finish in second. The only teams that do not have real questions about their goaltending are the Hurricanes and Jets. The Lightning went out and got a young unproven goalie that could get them in the playoffs. Luongo I think would put this team over the top but Yzerman is sticking to his guns plus the Lecavalier contract. Would I consider Lecavalier for Luongo straight up..... I would but Gillis is not going to take that contract on. Much like the Leafs the Panther have been in on Luongo from the very begining. Tallon has assembled a great group of young talent but unlike Brian Burke Tallon is showing patience with his prospects. I do think that after making the playoffs last year and the loss of revenue from the lockout that the ownership group is going to be putting pressure on Tallon to make the playoffs again and Luongo I think would get them there. Bjugstad is the main player Gillis wants out of Floridia. Tallon has said he is not willing to move him but Bjugstad is not on their roster this year and would not effect their chances of making the playoffs. Floridia is still right near the top for Luongo. The Caps I have them winning the division but another division title and making the playoffs is just not good enough anymore in Washington. George Mcphee is starting to feel the pressure and getting a goalie who could put you in the finals could save his job. I think they are one of the only teams that are willing and have the assets Gillis wants back.

East Recap

In

Bruins
Senators
Rangers
Flyers
Penguins
Hurricanes
Capitals

Bubble

Lightining
Sabres
Panthers

Out

Canadiens
Devils
Islanders
Jets
Leafs - Luongo could change that

I think Luongo ends up in the East with only three teams really being intrested Philly(I would hate to play poker against Holmgren) could be number four. Nonis seems to want to give his young guys a chance to play. It seems less and less likley Luongo will be a leaf. The Panthers is where he wants to go but is Tallon going to move the assets in order to get the deal done? I think he could for teams like the Panthers making the playoffs is huge post lockout. Washington I think is the team Gillis was referring to in the Cam Cole interview. They still have Holtby but Luongo would really put this team in the mix for a cup. I say he ends up in Washington. I am not going to put a proposal together as alot of the CDCer's have put proposals that I think are close to what we may get back.

This is just my opinion B)

Great re-cap of what 's going on. Should be a must read for anyone new to this thread. Best case scenario is for Lu to end up in the East. I think it will come back and bight us if he is in the WC.

I think you're right about Wash. Their early season struggles is helping things along as well.

Panthers- maybe, but DT has his heart set on those young prospects.

TB - I agree, that fat Lecavalier contract is killing them.

TO - With the loss of Lupul, they are going to spiral downwards. I think they are out of the Lu trade and will wait for their great 1st rounder.

I still think NYI could be a dark horse. If they can buy out Dipi (or convice Van to do so), I think they could put up a good package in a trade. Being a former goalie, GS can understand the importance of a good goalie. Lu could really pull that team together (he certainly did that in Van).

Whatever the case, I feel badly for Lu and hope that it turns into a win/win for him and the Nucks.

#614 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

How old are you, 15? The "depression" happened 80 years ago. Please tell me you're not referring to 2008/2009.

http://dictionary.re...rowse/hyperbole

You might need to go back to school...

#615 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Luongo on the bench is not helping us, I am surprised MG wouldnt at least take a little salary back in order to get the trade done, ex: reinprecht- he took some salary back there so that we got Booth for two useless aging veterans.

If the trade is to florida and Tallon needs some salary taken back, MG should try and make it work, especially as Lou wants to go there, would be happiest there and Lou has done so much for this organization

#616 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,139 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Here's our problem;

Burrows at 4.5 Million a year is pretty hefty for third line duties, and I think Schroeder can be an awesome top 6 player, but lacking bottom 6. We need a big, two way center for the 3rd line.

Sedins-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Weise-Lapierre-Volpatti

I still think Holmgren would have to part with Couturier if he wants Luongo - otherwise feel free to look elsewhere or roll the dice Bryz.
In which case, against certain opponents there would be the option of changing the fourth line from a grinder line to a two way line that creates matchup nightmares for teams trying to ice a grinder line or with a suspect bottom pairing - the Canucks depth could provide a lot of secondary scoring and ability to roll four lines - as well as eing a very defensively responsible bottom 9... I like seeing the young guys playing with our best players - for confidence and support. Schroeder could be the type of player who works with Kesler, and I'm always a fan of having a pair of natural centers on a line, as AV has done with Malhotra and Lapierre. (Also the option of packaging Schroeder with Luo and taking a top 6 RW back where Philly has serious depth and more likely to move Couturier if getting a young two way ELC center back). The fact we have three very solid d pairings could also make the bottom 6 a serious scoring threat.

Sedins Kassian
Burrows Kesler Schroeder
Higgins Couturier Hansen
Booth Lapierre Raymond

Edited by oldnews, 27 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#617 Sportjunky

Sportjunky

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I think the Canucks should keep Luongo the entire year unless Gillis can pick up a top tier defenseman.. Once Kesler and Booth comes back the Canucks don't have room for a Kadri or Bozak. The Canucks need help in defense.

#618 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,934 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I think the Canucks should keep Luongo the entire year unless Gillis can pick up a top tier defenseman.. Once Kesler and Booth comes back the Canucks don't have room for a Kadri or Bozak. The Canucks need help in defense.

What's wrong with our D?

I don't see any defenseman us getting back knocking any of our top 4 out. And Ballard and Tanev have been a great bottom pair.

I think we need a good centerman to bolster the third line or a gritty winger. And we need an elite center prospect to shore up our depth down the middle for the future.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#619 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

What's wrong with our D?

I don't see any defenseman us getting back knocking any of our top 4 out. And Ballard and Tanev have been a great bottom pair.

I think we need a good centerman to bolster the third line or a gritty winger. And we need an elite center prospect to shore up our depth down the middle for the future.

#620 sonoman

sonoman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

What's wrong with our D?

Agree. The only thing wrong with the bottom pair is cost. Smaller cap hit would be nice. Our top 4 is probably as good as any in the league.

#621 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Agree. The only thing wrong with the bottom pair is cost. Smaller cap hit would be nice. Our top 4 is probably as good as any in the league.

Couldnt agree with you more !! And I am a big Ballard fan .. I feel we are very fortunate to have the D that we do .. Now bringing in a great prospect at the defensive position wouldnt bother me in a lu deal , as long as we could get a forward to help put us over the top now ..

#622 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

As its playing out Gillis is looking stronger in waiting to deal Lou,and keeping him to showcase his talent will drive up the asking price,

#623 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Capitals make a ton of sense and would be great to see Luongo go to a team that can win him a cup like Philly or Washington, but I'm not sure what the Capitals can offer us that'll help us now and not hurt our cap for next season, I'd love Tom Wilson to be part of the deal with a 2013 1st round pick, but none of that helps us now, which Gillis seems to want.

#624 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

As its playing out Gillis is looking stronger in waiting to deal Lou,and keeping him to showcase his talent will drive up the asking price,

I doubt Luongo's value goes up no matter how well he plays, he's been in the league a long time and GM know how good he is, there is no showcasing Luongo, if anyone was being showcased it would be goalies like Schneider who have the talent but aren't as well proven.

#625 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Here's our problem;

Sedins-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Weise-Lapierre-Volpatti

Thats how I see it too.,, though I think we also have the option of adding a 3rd line winger instead and have Lapierre as our 3rd line centre and Malhotra as 4th line centre.

In a healthy lineup there isn't really an ideal place for Raymond or Schroeder.

I also love Ballard, but with all the teams desperate for defence right now, he could be a real premium on the market and free up some cap space.

If we could trade him to a team that needs a top 4 guy in return for a solid shut down D (think a Brian Allen type) and a fairly high draft pick it would be an improvement to our roster and cap situation. Ballard is a top 4 on at least half the teams in the league.

Edited by Provost, 27 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#626 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,199 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by the way he's playing right now. It's four games into the season - I think he's been fine - and the lines have been experimental. HIggins is one of the last people I'd see as expendable. I'd like to have Clutterbuck, but I personally would use other assets.

Playing right now as in he has been invisible.

I hate to say it because I love him too but Higgins is very \a little overrated on these boards.

One of the few guys that can do nothing and get a free pass.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 27 January 2013 - 02:11 PM.

zackass.png

#627 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,199 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Why does everyone forget Matt Hackett? They'll likely move away from Backstrom unless he wants to take less, then they can go with Harding, who won't be affected by MS enough in the immediate future to be an issue, and continue to bring along Hackett.

Yeah he is pretty good.

They also have that Swedish guy, Gustafson? or something like that?

Right now they are fine.

zackass.png

#628 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

What's wrong with our D?

Not much wrong with then aside from bring too small for the post season......we've been exposed on the back end every year in the playoffs as far as handling large forwards in front of our net or in the corners.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#629 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

The very important point that you are missing is that we don't lack offense at all. We have been amongst the highest scoring teams in the league for the past several years. Our bread and butter is outscoring the opposition. It is simply the facts and not opinion.

With the exact same roster that is chock full of offense, we can't score goals in some of our playoff rounds. It is not that we don't have offence... it is that they are unable to make their offensive plays suddenly. You need to consider why that is. It is because they are played much more physically and don't have the room to make fancy, skilled plays.

The counter to that and the way to make room is to have more physical players... it is not to add another non-physical offensive player who will also not have room to make his plays. You have to build a balanced team that complements each other... not just try to throw the guys who score the most goals all together and hope for the best.

Our team is in need to a reasonably talented and very physical player on our 3rd line who is capable of playing meaningful minutes. Someone in the mold of a Chris Neil/Clutterbuck. He makes room for our skilled guys and has the added benefit of taking away room from the opposition's skilled players.

The other addition required to complement our existing guys is to find a very mean right hand D who punishes opposing forwards who want to dipsy doodle around our zone. If Ballard is the guy who dishes out the hardest hits on your D... you are in a little bit of trouble. I say that as someone who has been defending Ballard since he got here. He is doing everything he can to help the team but is a little miscast as our tough 3rd pairing guy.

Good stuff.

I miss having a winning heavyweight fighter like Gino; and Gino could play.
The Sedins and Burrows are playing so well for us but they kind of use up our quota for soft players.

Kassian is an excelltent addition but if he develops as we hope, he will be like Cam Neely where you don't want him sitting in the box or ejected because you lose that offense.
Zack is a big step in the right direction but we still need more trades where we lose the softies and get tougher.

Gillis mentioned something in the last interview I watched about some players' contracts being done after this year and next.
I took it in the context that some of these players were holding down spots he will fill with tougher guys who could still play at a high level.

UFAs after this season include Malhotra, Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, Ebbet, Volpati, Alberts, and Barker. The Sedin twins are UFAs after next season.
RFAs after this season include Schroeder, Weisse, and Tanev and after next year Kassian. (Capgeek)
Some will be re-signed and some will be let go; and some could be traded this year, adding value to a potential Luongo trade.

I could part with Raymond, Ebbet, Alberts, Barker, Schroeder, or Tanev if required to toughen this team up enough to win the Cup.
We could also trade Rodin, Connaughton, and other prospects to add value in multi-player deals.
We can also exchange draft picks to make any particular deal happen.

So we have lots to offer and can expect to get back good value in 2 or 3 trades.
Brouwer with Washington seems like he would be a good fit for that second or third line physical player.
Patrick Bordeleau out of Colorado would look better in a Nuck Uni; he looks like he can play and win fights against heavyweights.
Gudbranson from Florida might develop into a modern era Pronger-type of player.

#630 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,934 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Not much wrong with then aside from bring too small for the post season......we've been exposed on the back end every year in the playoffs as far as handling large forwards in front of our net or in the corners.

Well that's why we went out and got Barker and Vandermeer.

Our D was good enough to get us to the finals, and replacing Ehrhoff with Garrison is only an upgrade in the toughness department.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.