The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

How about:

To Washington: Roberto Luongo, Andrew Ebbett

To Vancouver: Dimitry Orlov, Stanislav Galiev, Matt Perreault 1st

- A young defensemen W/ upside to replace Ballard if we trade/buy him out. The main piece of the deal,

- a good prospect in Galiev,

- 1st

- Perreault wants out so we swap him with Ebbett. A win for us but they still get a replacement depth center.

If it's too much we could swap the 1st for a 2nd & maybe another pick but I think it's fair.

Thoughts?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I find statements like this silly. Why not just say unlikely?

This absolutism that people make regarding potential deals is no better than what King does in saying he knows what will happen.

It may seem like a stretch to say Washington will deal Forsberg or Kuznetsov, or whatever, but stranger things have happened in the history of NHL trading.

Yes(NTC) it is too much to ask. We(NTC) don't need Luo. Theodore(NTC) has been the only good thing in an injuy riddled start. He's doing an outstanding job and with Markstrom coming we have no reason to add Luo and trade Theodore(NTC ) and our prospects.

This is what you get when you sign a "franchise" player to 12yrs, then turn your back on him.

To be fair the money really isn't an issue for him, I'm sure he already has a ton.

I think pressure will be applied on MG in a major way in the 2nd half of the offseason next year if MG doesn't have a deal done.

Luongo will not backup Cory for 2 years. Waiting forever will not make the offers better, IMO he has to be moved this year and as soon as we can get some quality young assets in return then we make the move.

How about:

To Washington: Roberto Luongo, Andrew Ebbett

To Vancouver: Dimitry Orlov, Stanislav Galiev, Matt Perreault 1st

- A young defensemen W/ upside to replace Ballard if we trade/buy him out. The main piece of the deal,

- a good prospect in Galiev,

- 1st

- Perreault wants out so we swap him with Ebbett. A win for us but they still get a replacement depth center.

If it's too much we could swap the 1st for a 2nd & maybe another pick but I think it's fair.

Thoughts?

Money is the biggest issue. It's not chump change, Its $6.7 million per year. To say money is not an issue is not recognizing reality. Money is always an issue. No way Luongo would rather sit on his couch rather than the Canucks bench while making $6.7 mill per year.

I agree it would be a problem if it lasted 2 years, but I don't see that happening.

As a deal that leans toward future return it would be a fair trade in worth but it would take 5 years to assess that deal.

It wouldn't be doing much to address the teams' needs for this season. Perreault could play a role and Orlov is NHL ready but other than good warm bodies they don't affect the weaknesses of the roster much this year. If it was a deal like this then we could expect MG to continue to be active at the deadline.

My personal opinion would be that if we are making a trade primarily for the future that we will need a Forward that has bonafide 1st line potential. Galiev would be a longshot in that regard, and Orlov is a good puck mover but he'd be behind a logjam here.

The thing is, I don't see what our need is? Schroeder has clearly proven he is NHL ready and can contribute in the top 9.

Zack Kassian again has proven he is more than a 4th liner and that he can play on any line he is needed.

Then the defense core is built of 3 pairs that are all capable of playing 20+ minutes in my mind.

Our line-up when healthy:

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Manny - Lappy - Higgins

Tons of depth.

So this deal should be used to address futures.

Next season Ballard likely won't be around, and Orlov is a major upgrade on anyone else we have, so Orlov would make our defense:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Orlov - Tanev

Then Perreault helps us this year, adding center depth.

The draft is very deep, a 1st in this draft is very vaulable.

Then Galiev has the chops of a good offensive player, his style meshes well with what Jordan Schroeder brings IMO, and a future line with those two on it could bring alot of offense IMO.

I just don't see a downside to the move as our depth is already solid.

For all the people here who think we're going to get a great return for Lu...:

1. Lu asked to be traded. And, then he went on television and told the world that. You can say 'he didn't ask to be traded, he only said he'd do what's best for the team' - but that's pure crap. When you have an NTC and tell your team you wouldn't mind being traded - that's a trade-request. If he was doing what's best for the team, he wouldn't have asked for a trade - and if he did, he wouldn't have made that public. You'll also remember that just recently, he told a reporter that he doesn't want to be here long-term. When other teams know a player wants out, they don't offer anything of value for him. They know we have to get rid of him, so they can sit back and wait for us to get desperate. And, that's exactly what they have been doing.

2. Lu is, right now, our backup goaltender. Name me one other backup who was traded for a massive package of top players, prospects AND picks. Why would other teams trade away their future for a goalie who just got badly outplayed by a rookie/sophmore the last two years?

3. Lu has a massive contract, that has him playing into his mid-40's. That's a massive negative in any trade. Notice how Gillis mentioned that every team that offers us anything for Lu tacks on a massive contract that we'll have to buy-out?

4. It's been reported (now by multiple hockey journalists, most recently Tony Gallagher on Team1040) that Lu refused to waive his NTC to go to Toronto at the draft, so that he could give Florida more time to up their offer. When a player tries to force a team to trade him to a specific team (or very short list of teams), his original team never gets much in return. Florida knows Lu is trying to force a trade there AND they don't need him, so they aren't going to pull the trigger on a deal unless they absolutely rape us. Until Lu gives us a large list of possible teams, we'll be stuck with a bad deal.

The only thing going in our favour on this is the fact that Gillis is one of the best GMs in the history of the NHL. But, he can't work miracles. So, don't expect a top-6 forward, a top-tier prospect and a 1st round draft pick. That's insane. We'd be lucky to get much more than one of those...

Here's a trade rumor...(once Lack returns from injury)

To Vancouver

Troy Brouwer

Riley Barber

Filip Forsberg

Conditional pick (if Caps make playoffs)

To Washington

Luongo (with some cap dealing)

Malhotra

Alberts

Neuvirth gets waived to the AHL

For all the people here who think we're going to get a great return for Lu...:

1. Lu asked to be traded. And, then he went on television and told the world that. You can say 'he didn't ask to be traded, he only said he'd do what's best for the team' - but that's pure crap. When you have an NTC and tell your team you wouldn't mind being traded - that's a trade-request. If he was doing what's best for the team, he wouldn't have asked for a trade - and if he did, he wouldn't have made that public. You'll also remember that just recently, he told a reporter that he doesn't want to be here long-term. When other teams know a player wants out, they don't offer anything of value for him. They know we have to get rid of him, so they can sit back and wait for us to get desperate. And, that's exactly what they have been doing.

2. Lu is, right now, our backup goaltender. Name me one other backup who was traded for a massive package of top players, prospects AND picks. Why would other teams trade away their future for a goalie who just got badly outplayed by a rookie/sophmore the last two years?

3. Lu has a massive contract, that has him playing into his mid-40's. That's a massive negative in any trade. Notice how Gillis mentioned that every team that offers us anything for Lu tacks on a massive contract that we'll have to buy-out?

4. It's been reported (now by multiple hockey journalists, most recently Tony Gallagher on Team1040) that Lu refused to waive his NTC to go to Toronto at the draft, so that he could give Florida more time to up their offer. When a player tries to force a team to trade him to a specific team (or very short list of teams), his original team never gets much in return. Florida knows Lu is trying to force a trade there AND they don't need him, so they aren't going to pull the trigger on a deal unless they absolutely rape us. Until Lu gives us a large list of possible teams, we'll be stuck with a bad deal.

The only thing going in our favour on this is the fact that Gillis is one of the best GMs in the history of the NHL. But, he can't work miracles. So, don't expect a top-6 forward, a top-tier prospect and a 1st round draft pick. That's insane. We'd be lucky to get much more than one of those...

I'm not sure Rick Nash is a fair comparison to Luongo - In my opinion Nash does not get you into the playoffs whereas Luo does.

Be that as it may I don't see the rush to trade Luongo before he becomes an issue to the team. From the start he has been nothing but supportive and a team player in regards to the goalie situation. He does hold the key to a deal with his NTC but if he reallys wants to play this year in a starting role he may need to widen the teams he is willing to play for. He's a franchise goalie and as such the return for him in a trade needs to be substantial - a roster player and a prospect at minimum.

However his contract does play into the equation. I think Gillis is handling this just fine and I for one am ok with us carrying two elite goalies in this shortened season. Look at it this way - if he stays until the deadline the return could be much higher. And if he stays until the off-season he's still a tradeable asset for those teams who missed the playoffs yet again.

Our biggest need remains to get bigger and more playoff ready without sacrificing skill. This is the same thing every NHL needs and we are no different.

The most I think we can say about Schroeder at this point is that he is ready to compete for an NHL roster spot. That's all. Generally, it requires 2 full seasons for a player to really establish themselves as an NHLer otherwise they remain a gamble. Schroeder is still very much a gamble.

Perreault, though talented, isn't a top checker and would keep the roster smaller. If Perreault was 5 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier then it would make more sense, much like Gaustad or Ott could have meant.

Your reasoning on Orlov is solid but the fact would remain that we have no intimidation factor on the bottom pairing. If we could retain the skill of a Ballard or Tanev while increasing the physicality then we would be addressing our issue on the backend.

Galiev, no matter how exciting he was in some games in junior, is not a sure fire player to have a long NHL career, if ever.

Solid Points allround.

Let's just say this about Schroeder, he has shown he can play in this league and contribute. His faceoff effort last night (11 for 19 and took most of the Dzone draws) Only shows AV's confidence in his is growing.

Perreault just adds depth, I agree with your analogy which is why I couldn't understand those people earlier wanting him to replace Manny, but he plays with some speed and grit and has some defensive qualities, is a good depth option. Nothing more for us right now.

Orlov has high upside, that's the thing, he is already NHL ready, and his upside is high. You talk about not having a fear presence but I doubt we would have one either way, Connaution would probably play there and Orlov is an big upgrade on Connaution at the moment, and I don't want to see Alberts take that spot, so I don't think we would have on anyways. (Although personally with the way Ballard has been playing I would look at doing whatever we can to keep him, he and Tanev have just been great for us.)

Aside from Washington's top guys, (Wilson, Forsberg, Kuznetsov) which I doubt we would get if we want Orlov and a 1st aswell. They don't have alot, Galiev is a step behind those guys on the prospect grade but he is still a solid prospect and would be one of our best. He is risky, as his offensive potential makes him Boom or Bust, but the Boom could be worth the risk. Again though, not much there that interests me, maybe take a 2nd instead.

And don't over look the 1st round pick, could get a very good player.

Why not?

Brouwer doesn't add much (Where does he fit??)

And I love Johansson but I think we could use Schroeder in that role just fine and get other/more futures rather than him as he would be pretty much all we get if we went after him.

I think my post got taken a bit sideways.

I am willing to be Roberto would take a suspension (after demanding a trade) rather than sitting on the bench for another season.

The guy has probably already made around 40 Million just on NHL salaries, then you add endorsements and who knows how much more that # goes up.

He would probably sacrifice half a year pay to be a starter again, the guy it too competitive to sit on the bench for 2 full years.

Like I said though we need to search and act fast, look for the best young package we can get and if it is pretty good and can be justified then we should pull the trigger IMO.

Archived