#721 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Right now yes? new contract 3m+ i bet.

With market value for average players likely to drop.

I would say 2 - 3

zackass.png

#722 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

With market value for average players likely to drop.

I would say 2 - 3

I think he'll get higher than that, maybe 3.5 or close to 4m.

He saw the management spend big bucks so he probably wants some of that $$$ lol

#723 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

First you pump up Clutterbuck value, then you offer Higgins and Connaughton? :lol: You should "go ask Minny fans what they think of that".

How is that a bad offer?

both are good 2nd/3rd liners, that bring a bit different things, Clutterbuck slots more in a 3rd line role, Higgins could fit in either with the offense he brings.

He would also round out there line-up more, current line-up:

Cullen - Granlund - Setoguchi
Bouchard - Brodziak - Clutterbuck

Then with Higgins, he would be that anchor on the 2nd line, he would bring that defensive presence and as we saw with Cody last year, is a good player to play with rookies. It would then allow Cullen to slide down into a better fitting role:

Higgins - Granlund - Setguchi
Bouchard - Cullen - Brodziak

Then the Connaution/Graovac swap is even for both sides, Minnesota is loaded with Forwards, both roster and prospect, so they add a good prospect who will be in contention to crack there roster next season. They deal from an area of strength to one of weakness.

Then for us it is much the same thing, we have alot of depth on our defense, and Graovac has been playing very well with Brendan Gaunce, so we add a nice forward prospect who has chemistry with one of our current prospects.

zackass.png

#724 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

How is that a bad offer?

both are good 2nd/3rd liners, that bring a bit different things, Clutterbuck slots more in a 3rd line role, Higgins could fit in either with the offense he brings.

Then with Higgins, he would be that anchor on the 2nd line, he would bring that defensive presence and as we saw with Cody last year, is a good player to play with rookies. It would then allow Cullen to slide down into a better fitting role:

Then the Connaution/Graovac swap is even for both sides, Minnesota is loaded with Forwards, both roster and prospect, so they add a good prospect who will be in contention to crack there roster next season. They deal from an area of strength to one of weakness.

Then for us it is much the same thing, we have alot of depth on our defense, and Graovac has been playing very well with Brendan Gaunce, so we add a nice forward prospect who has chemistry with one of our current prospects.

Clutterbuck is basically their Burrows, fan fav, community guy etc.

I dont know their cap situation, but they do like their hometown guys. I wonder if we can offer them Ballard + something for Clutterbuck?

#725 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Why are people talking about Kessel all of a sudden?

I'd trade booth for him lol

#726 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Who is the more popular player? Clutterbuck or Torres? it doesnt matter if its an open thread, PPL will go for the more popular of the two....

Torres didnt kill penalties for us because of Kesler, Higgins, Burrows, Raymond, Hansen and Malhotra. If youre the coach of the Wild. would you pick Konopka, Powe, Mitchell and Brodziak for pking duties over Clutterbuck? no.

Im not saying Torres>>>>>>>>>Clutterbuck but Torres is not so different to a player like CC. Torres is like a poor man's clutterbuck and he played on our 4th line.

Exactly you are admitting he is a good PKer.

Torres also doesn't kill a ton for Phoenix as far as I know, he has never traditionally been a PK staple on any team. Because he isn't really know for having great defensive instincts.

And no I'm sure people would pick Clutterbuck because he is just the better player. Also Torres played on our 3rd line, Torres has played on Phoenix's 4th alot though.

IMO Torres is a 3rd/4th line guy, he can play either, it just depends on how he is playing (again goes back to streakyness)

whereas Clutterbuck is a 3rd line guy with more upside. With injuries he could fill in on the 2nd line. Although is a more effective 3rd line guy and a very good 3rd liner at that.

zackass.png

#727 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

I think he'll get higher than that, maybe 3.5 or close to 4m.

He saw the management spend big bucks so he probably wants some of that $$$ lol

Yeah but with the cap coming down, market value for average players will go down aswell, it is the way it works, too many people will be out of jobs if it doesn't.

Stars still get paid big bucks, but the middle guys take a hit. While he is now arguably worth 3 - 4, with overall value dropping, he will likely go down to 2 -3.

I can't see anyway he gets anything past 3.25 on his next deal myself.

zackass.png

#728 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Clutterbuck is basically their Burrows, fan fav, community guy etc.

I dont know their cap situation, but they do like their hometown guys. I wonder if we can offer them Ballard + something for Clutterbuck?

Yeah but Higgins is a likable guy too, and you have to make on ice decisions.

Wouldn't give up Ballard right now, has been our best defenseman, and trading him creates a hole. Not saying they would do it for sure, but value wise they are pretty even (just bring different dynamics)

Overall the deal is fair value wise, I guess it just comes down to preference.

zackass.png

#729 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

I realize Old News promised everyone here Garrison was superb on the right side knocking one of those off the table.... :rolleyes: , I still say we also would like to that D trade to incorporate a puck rushing D into that equation. And if it was a left side puck rushing D (Leddy, Gardiner) then in fact we need to move two left D to get the perfect mix?

I see you weasled this comment into a conversation you're having with Deniro.

But do you know what you're talking about?

In case you're interested in facts:
http://hockey.dobber...mes=2011-2012:R
Have a look.

Garrison - even strength pairings 75.6% on Campbell's right side. Powerplay 52.7% on Campbell's right side. 75% and 52.9% of his production . He played the left side to the rest of his partners - a far smaller proportion of his ice time, but interestingly produced points at the same rate.

I'm not surprised you're shortsighted enough to be judging Garrison already - after five games - when ironically he has the best plus minus on the Canucks while trying to get comfortable here. Your guess is as good as mine as to why AV is choosing to play Edler on the right side, but regardless, that doesn't change the fact that Garrison had a whole lot of success on the right side last year - your comment might be relevant if Garrison were actually playing right side and doing so poorly, but as it stands it just looks smug and a little petty. Thanks for the novel suggestion that we move a left side blueliner - I've rarely seen Ballard in a proposal haha. I've also been proposing we pick up a big, physical right side blueliner for quite some time - Petrovic is the one constant in any proposal I've made with Florida - it's old news that the Canucks are stronger on the left side up front and on the blueline.

:rolleyes:

#730 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Yeah but Higgins is a likable guy too, and you have to make on ice decisions.

Wouldn't give up Ballard right now, has been our best defenseman, and trading him creates a hole. Not saying they would do it for sure, but value wise they are pretty even (just bring different dynamics)

Overall the deal is fair value wise, I guess it just comes down to preference.

We'd still have Vandermeer and Barker :ph34r:

but imagine a bottom 6 forward of

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Booth
Clutterbuck - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lappiere - Kassian

that balance and depth will make up for our defences mistakes ^_^

#731 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Torres > Clutterbuck > Higgins.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#732 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,794 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

This is what happens when we play 3 in 4 nights and there is no trade rumours. :lol:

Posted Image

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#733 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

We'd still have Vandermeer and Barker :ph34r:

but imagine a bottom 6 forward of

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Booth
Clutterbuck - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lappiere - Kassian

that balance and depth will make up for our defences mistakes ^_^

If Bieksa and Edler play as terrible as they have, would you be comfortable with:

Connaution - Tanev as the 3rd pair. That's a nightmare waiting to happen, Ballard and Tanev have been our security blanket, whenever out top 4 struggles they step up and are perfectly capable of playing top 4 minutes.

If Minnesota would accept:

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Clutterbuck
Malhotra - Lappierre - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Edler
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

Dat Depth at all 3 positions.

zackass.png

#734 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Clutterbuck = Higgins > Torres***

zackass.png

#735 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

How is that a bad offer?

Might not be bad straight value wise but clutterbuck is a fan favorite there. He's pretty much their burrows.

If we were offered Matt Read or Lupul for Burrows would we do it? Probly not, we'd say throw in a first and we'll think about it. Bottom line is it will take an over payment to get someone like clutterbuck. He's part of their core IMO.

#736 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Gardiner is one of there most important defensemen, already playing top 4 as a rookie, the guy was uber impressive in the AHL.

Gardiner isn't nearly as overrated as you think.

He is one of the most important defensemen, but it's all relative - this is the Leafs blueline you're talking about and he was a rookie, last year.

You've been pumping his tires continuously, but there are a few things aside from 7 goals and 23 assists, and rushing the puck that are relevant about Gardiner. First, there were only a few Leafs, with names like Jay Rosehill and Matt Lombardi, who faced a weaker quality of competition than Gardiner did last year. His 56% offensive zone starts was second only to, again, Rosehill.
When you factor those things in, what you get is a player who scored at an impressive pace for a rookie, but otherwise, wasn't tested in the sense you would suggest - as a "top 4" blueliner. He has sheltered/tailored minutes much like Hodgson in Vancouver, and likewise, has been overhyped. Good young player - but certainly premature to be suggesting he could handle the other side / two way responsibility of being a top 4, which is not to say he won't develop that or doesn't have the potential, but at this point, overhyped/over-rated. Again, the youth culture bias is strong here.

#737 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

I agree with you on this one Smashian.

#738 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Might not be bad straight value wise but clutterbuck is a fan favorite there. He's pretty much their burrows.

If we were offered Matt Read or Lupul for Burrows would we do it? Probly not, we'd say throw in a first and we'll think about it. Bottom line is it will take an over payment to get someone like clutterbuck. He's part of their core IMO.

I agree, but once again decisions are made on the ice.

they might not accept, but valuewise it is fair and adds something to there team.

zackass.png

#739 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

He is one of the most important defensemen, but it's all relative - this is the Leafs blueline you're talking about and he was a rookie, last year.

You've been pumping his tires continuously, but there are a few things aside from 7 goals and 23 assists, and rushing the puck that are relevant about Gardiner. First, there were only a few Leafs, with names like Jay Rosehill and Matt Lombardi, who faced a weaker quality of competition than Gardiner did last year. His 56% offensive zone starts was second only to, again, Rosehill.
When you factor those things in, what you get is a player who scored at an impressive pace for a rookie, but otherwise, wasn't tested in the sense you would suggest - as a "top 4" blueliner. He has sheltered/tailored minutes much like Hodgson in Vancouver, and likewise, has been overhyped. Good young player - but certainly premature to be suggesting he could handle the other side / two way responsibility of being a top 4, which is not to say he won't develop that or doesn't have the potential, but at this point, overhyped/over-rated. Again, the youth culture bias is strong here.

The Anti-Leaf bias is overwhelming here.

If Gardiner was on our team, or any other team, people would love him and would be all over him, but because he is "Leafs garbage" there is this cloud that he isn't as good as he is.

I don't follow the Leafs closely enough to break down every little aspect he brings, but from talking to Leafs fans on HF and watching as many games as I can, it is easy to tell he is a big piece of there defense. As he is key on the PP, key 5 on 5 and plays the PK.

Tell all this to a Leafs fan or someone who follows the team, they would be able to tell how wrong you are, most of the deal proposed on here would be laughed at as most people here can't accurately gauge the value and importance of players to other teams.

Oh and BTW, the competition the Leafs face isn't any weaker than what we face, and he is a top 4 on that team, and their defense isn't as bad as you think.

Anti-Leafs bias rearing its ugly head again. If he played for Florida there is no chance we would be saying the same things about him judging by the way people overrate Shawn Mattias.

zackass.png

#740 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

The Anti-Leaf bias is overwhelming here.

If Gardiner was on our team, or any other team, people would love him and would be all over him, but because he is "Leafs garbage" there is this cloud that he isn't as good as he is.

I don't follow the Leafs closely enough to break down every little aspect he brings, but from talking to Leafs fans on HF and watching as many games as I can, it is easy to tell he is a big piece of there defense. As he is key on the PP, key 5 on 5 and plays the PK.

Tell all this to a Leafs fan or someone who follows the team, they would be able to tell how wrong you are, most of the deal proposed on here would be laughed at as most people here can't accurately gauge the value and importance of players to other teams.

Oh and BTW, the competition the Leafs face isn't any weaker than what we face, and he is a top 4 on that team, and their defense isn't as bad as you think.

Anti-Leafs bias rearing its ugly head again. If he played for Florida there is no chance we would be saying the same things about him judging by the way people overrate Shawn Mattias.

What are you talking about? I can't bother to read much beyond "Leafs garbage" which is straight out of nowhere, and nothing to do with what I was talking about.
But yeah, your suggestion would be like telling Canucks fans who had already pencilled in Hodgson as the next captain that he wasn't ready to take Kesler's minutes and has a lot of developing to do...

#741 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Typical overvaluation of Canuck players by Canuck fans.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#742 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Typical overvaluation of Canuck players by Canuck fans.

Torres was here too, and I am far from Higgins biggest fan (Called him overrated before multiple times)

Failed logic, Torres is a 4th liner on the Coyotes, both Clutterbuck and Higgins are 2nd/3rd liners on better teams.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 28 January 2013 - 06:54 PM.

zackass.png

#743 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

What are you talking about? I can't bother to read much beyond "Leafs garbage" which is straight out of nowhere, and nothing to do with what I was talking about.
But yeah, your suggestion would be like telling Canucks fans who had already pencilled in Hodgson as the next captain that he wasn't ready to take Kesler's minutes and has a lot of developing to do...

My suggestion (talking to reasonable Leafs fans, or people who cover the team with as much objectivity as possible) would give you a far better gauge of how important he is to that team.

And lets lay it out on the table, I have seen you say "I don't want Leafs garbage" before, and if Gardiner was on Florida, everyone would clammer over him and would be desperate to get him, clear Anti-Leaf bias, not sure how it is debatable.

zackass.png

#744 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,003 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

My suggestion (talking to reasonable Leafs fans, or people who cover the team with as much objectivity as possible) would give you a far better gauge of how important he is to that team.

And lets lay it out on the table, I have seen you say "I don't want Leafs garbage" before, and if Gardiner was on Florida, everyone would clammer over him and would be desperate to get him, clear Anti-Leaf bias, not sure how it is debatable.

So you are suggesting that relative corsi statistics aren't objective enough for you, but that I should go to the Leafs boards and get an objective opinion about Gardiner? Ok. Right.

Bolded part - FOS - have never used those words - feel free to "lay it on the table" lol, and provide a quote as opposed to pulling a King and putting words in someone else's mouth. There are a number of Leafs I like, and Gardiner is one of them - it's simply that his value is blown extremely out of proportion.

Btw - you didn't understand the point about quality of competition, and you obviously ignored the situational way he is used, ie. his offensive zone starts.

Btw2 - Hodgson was one of the 'most important players' to many Canucks fans - who didn't realize/understand the context in which he was playing. A good coach's job is to use his young players to their strengths, not to put them in over their head in situations to fail, but to use their veterans against the strongest quality opponents, and build the confidence of their young players. Gardiner got the same kind of intelligent use in Toronto that Hodgson got in Vancouver. Good coaching - doesn't mean either of them were legitimate top6/top4 as rookies - people who believed they are wouldn't strike me as particularly 'objective' tbh.

Edited by oldnews, 28 January 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#745 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

I know but the media puts twists on it. If Cory bombs and Lu has a stellar season then what happens?

IF???? a big freakin IF !!! dream on

#746 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

So you are suggesting that relative corsi statistics aren't objective enough for you, but that I should go to the Leafs boards and get an objective opinion about Gardiner? Ok. Right.

Bolded part - FOS - have never used those words - feel free to provide a quote as opposed to pulling a King and putting words in someone else's mouth. There are a number of Leafs I like, and Gardiner is one of them - it's simply that his value is blown extremely out of proportion.

Don't have the exact quote, but someone said the only pieces they want are Kessel, Phaneuf and Gardiner, and you said you didn't want any of the Leafs garbage.

Your going to have to explain Corsi, cause to me that stat is just a way for people to grasp at straws, for some people it seems to accurately tell the story, for others it doesn't.

Go to HF, find a pretty reasonable and objective fan, ask him Gardiner's importance to the team and get him to respond to that post you showed me.

You will probably get laughed at.

zackass.png

#747 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Agree. Torres will have a target on his back, with his reputation. He will play like a kitten or be penalized for every hit. Just not worth all those PKs.

#748 forklift_ole

forklift_ole

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

So Cal Clutterbuck, the man who regularly leads the NHL in hits and has ten less total points than Torres in almost 300 less games, and is a known leader on and off the ice is worse than Torres how?

#749 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I'd trade booth for him lol

Ya but Toronto wouldnt!

#750 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

So Cal Clutterbuck, the man who regularly leads the NHL in hits and has ten less total points than Torres in almost 300 less games, and is a known leader on and off the ice is worse than Torres how?

Because Torres is the only guy that can score twice in sudden death overtime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.