Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Daniel - Henrik - Kassian (1A)

Booth - Kesler - Burrows (1B)

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen (3A)

Higgins - Manny - Lappy (3B)

Vopatti - Ebbett - Weise (4th)

That's not good enough 1A/1B, 3A/3B?

Not sure where Brouwer fits myself, is he better than Hansen/Raymond? Likely not. Would be adding unneccisary assets to the 4th line

Even to go a step further..

Hamhuis - Bieksa (1A)

Garrison - Edler (1B)

Ballard - Tanev (2nd)

Schneider (1A)

Luongo (1A)

I like our depth :bigblush:

That fourth line can't really be considered a third line. Not on a cup winning team anyways.

Don't get me wrong I like our depth, but it can always be better. Especially since trading Luongo would free up 5.3 mil in cap space. Might as well use it.

Brouwer is better than Raymond and Hansen. He brings much more to the table than those two. It.s not always about whose better either. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little skill for more grit.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Burrows

Raymond Schroeder Brouwer

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

That's the type of depth I'm talking about.

Yeah, I don't like that cap hit either but he is a better defensive player than Booth is and if Booth isn't a 25g 50pt guy, then is his $4.2m cap hit not an even bigger anchor (since he's kind of a defensive liability out there at times)?

That fourth line can't really be considered a third line. Not on a cup winning team anyways.

Don't get me wrong I like our depth, but it can always be better. Especially since trading Luongo would free up 5.3 mil in cap space. Might as well use it.

Brouwer is better than Raymond and Hansen. He brings much more to the table than those two. It.s not always about whose better either. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little skill for more grit.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Burrows

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

very true, i did think of that as well when i wrote my previous comment, but unlike brouwer were stuck with booth unless gillis compliance buys him out. id rather not have 2 players making a combined 8million who cant deliver. especially with the smaller cap.

unless we take lesser prospects from washington in return for them keeping part of brouwers contract maybe 1.5million worth? then id do a deal all day long for brouwer(2.2mil cap), neuvirth and a mid tier prospect/pick maybe tom wilson or orlov (dont know much about them just a quick look at their prospect roster)

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Burrows

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

the more i think about this the more i think your right. that is a scary lineup with all kinds of depth. Would suck to have to waive 2 of malhotra/weise/volpatti to get to the 23 man roster. Although they could always waive barker and go with 7 D's since even if he is claimed vandermeer doesnt have to go on reentry waivers if they need him in the playoffs.

more i think about it the more i like it for both teams.

For all the people here who think we're going to get a great return for Lu...:

1. Lu asked to be traded. And, then he went on television and told the world that. You can say 'he didn't ask to be traded, he only said he'd do what's best for the team' - but that's pure crap. When you have an NTC and tell your team you wouldn't mind being traded - that's a trade-request. If he was doing what's best for the team, he wouldn't have asked for a trade - and if he did, he wouldn't have made that public. You'll also remember that just recently, he told a reporter that he doesn't want to be here long-term. When other teams know a player wants out, they don't offer anything of value for him. They know we have to get rid of him, so they can sit back and wait for us to get desperate. And, that's exactly what they have been doing.

2. Lu is, right now, our backup goaltender. Name me one other backup who was traded for a massive package of top players, prospects AND picks. Why would other teams trade away their future for a goalie who just got badly outplayed by a rookie/sophmore the last two years?

3. Lu has a massive contract, that has him playing into his mid-40's. That's a massive negative in any trade. Notice how Gillis mentioned that every team that offers us anything for Lu tacks on a massive contract that we'll have to buy-out?

4. It's been reported (now by multiple hockey journalists, most recently Tony Gallagher on Team1040) that Lu refused to waive his NTC to go to Toronto at the draft, so that he could give Florida more time to up their offer. When a player tries to force a team to trade him to a specific team (or very short list of teams), his original team never gets much in return. Florida knows Lu is trying to force a trade there AND they don't need him, so they aren't going to pull the trigger on a deal unless they absolutely rape us. Until Lu gives us a large list of possible teams, we'll be stuck with a bad deal.

The only thing going in our favour on this is the fact that Gillis is one of the best GMs in the history of the NHL. But, he can't work miracles. So, don't expect a top-6 forward, a top-tier prospect and a 1st round draft pick. That's insane. We'd be lucky to get much more than one of those...

It has a ton of speed though, and would likely be very solid defensively. I don't see it being that much softer than Chicago's third line of Versteeg - Bolland - Brouwer. Versteeg is soft, and Bolland isn't tough, he's just annoying.

We're not always going to need grit in the playoffs. Sometimes we'll get matchups where we'll need more scoring from the third, which is where the Raymond - Schroeder - Brouwer line would be more effective. Then in more physical matchups we could play the Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen line, or load it up and have a Higgins - Lapierre - Brouwer line. Either way, I think its good to have the option of having more grit with the addition of Brouwer.

As per some of the above comments, I definitely think we need more grit in the lineup. If it wasn't for the refs actually calling penalties, we would have lost the Anaheim game.

We all know how that went during the Boston series. I would prefer a team that can win regardless of how the game is called.

Trade Raymond soon while his value is a little higher and open up a roster spot. We need more guys who are useful even if they aren't scoring.... at least in my opinion.

Archived