#961 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Do you know the meaning of sarcasm and exaggeration, my lad? :rolleyes:

...Following most of your posts it's difficult to believe it to be sarcasm.Although I have now been surprisingly informed.

#962 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

“@botchford: Luongo to cox: "are you here scouting for the leafs?"”

Haha Luongo is awesome. Cox is an idiot, had nothing to say in reponse. For those that don't know, Cox was saying Canucks are not getting anything for Lu.

#963 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

I thought that starting Luongo tonight against Colorado was show casing him ,again.

another great comment in the news thread. i was amazed that there was news posted after the discussion without any discussion yet.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#964 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

This thread is at an all time low. Too many of you overvalue Canuck players. It's really hard to read, and my face is red with all the face palms I've done. So... Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Sorry we're not pessimistic enough for you...

...if it's any consolation, I bet it's going to rain again tomorrow...

If it's Florida and say that Tallon wants to wait until they are healthier to gauge where they're at, what if they're completely out of it by then and in a position to draft #1 overall?

Would Seth Jones make Gudbranson slightly more available (even more so since there have already been reports that relationship was strained early on and the suspension might only have exacerbated things)?

Maybe. But if the Panthers were in a position for a lottery pick, their need for an upgrade in the net would be less than if they were scrambling for the eighth playoff spot in the east...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#965 justvisiting

justvisiting

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

I find it laughable they Tallon won't part with a college player for an all star netminder who ACTUALLY WANTS TO PLAY IN FLORIDA- the guy is a joke. Luongo would instantly inject excitement into that franchise. Not to mention he would play his G D heart out for them. Tallon doesn't get it.

Do you think we're becoming laughable in this situation? I am sure every GM that wants one of our goalies is just playing chicken with MG. It's clear that we have some serious cap issues going into the summer. With Lu's NTC, it may end up being easier to trade Schneider this season. Either way, I think MG is not looking good in his handling of this situation.

#966 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

If it's Florida and say that Tallon wants to wait until they are healthier to gauge where they're at, what if they're completely out of it by then and in a position to draft #1 overall?

Would Seth Jones make Gudbranson slightly more available (even more so since there have already been reports that relationship was strained early on and the suspension might only have exacerbated things)?

I would personally rather have Jones and Gudbranson and move Kulikov.

Even if the chances of that happening are very slim, Mackinnon or Drouin aren't exactly bad consolation prizes.

#967 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I find it laughable they Tallon won't part with a college player for an all star netminder who ACTUALLY WANTS TO PLAY IN FLORIDA- the guy is a joke. Luongo would instantly inject excitement into that franchise. Not to mention he would play his G D heart out for them. Tallon doesn't get it.

I'm pretty sure Tallon gets it, it's the Panthers empty pockets that don't get it.

#968 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

My guess is MG and DT will eventually compromise, with MG taking one of these guys on to go with Nick Bjugstad and Scott Clemmensen when it is all said and done. Pick your poison but I'd go with Upshall just for some extra jam in the playoffs. Buy him out in the summer if it doesn't work. Ultimately we are going to have to rely on guys who are already here and hopefully that means players like Kesler stop flopping around. Our second line needs to focus on scoring and get offensive production from guys who are actually paid to score goals (Booth, Kes, Burr) I don't see a Top 6 coming back for Lou if Gillis is looking for a strong prospect. I'd also be very happy with Lou for Bjugstad, Upshall and Clemmensen, but my guess is Florida needs to continue to tank a bit more before this happens. The Panthers have to continue to struggle before DT will start feeling some heat from ownership, and hopefully that will lead to both teams reaching an agreement and pulling the trigger.

I agree with all this, except that I would rather take Bergenheim (for his excellent shot) or Kopecky (for his versatility), instead of Upshall. Also, both of them are a bit cheaper than Scottie, and unlike him have no NTC to work around.
Posted Image

#969 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'm pretty sure Tallon gets it, it's the Panthers empty pockets that don't get it.

Although the team may run at a loss, the corporation that owns the team and runs the arena has been fairly profitable.

Interestingly, the picture that Forbes paints is at odds with that presented by Broward County. Broward County was primarily responsible for the construction of the Panthers’ arena, and as a result gets to look at the books of the organization. According to the county auditor, the organization made $117.4 million in profit between 1998 and 2012.

LINK: http://www.defending...s-money-revenue

Now, with increased revenue sharing, the losses on the HRR side will be offset further, making them even more profitable.

Of course, increased ticket sales, merchandise, and playoff revenue due to acquiring a franchise goaltender with a long history in the area could increase profits even further.
Posted Image

#970 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Here's a better idea.

Waive Raymond, Manlhotra, and Ebett and keep Schneider and Luongo.

4 million cap for Schneider is nothing when we pay these 3 plugs 5 and a half million.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#971 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Here is Thomas Drance's (Canucks Army) article on the Lu saga. Good Read.
http://canucksarmy.c...trade-an-update
Gagner and Paajarvi would be a very tempting return from Edmonton despite the divisional rival.
IMO it's been Florida the entire time due to Lu's NTC. Gillis is trying to get Talllon to increase his offer.
If trading Lu means no return and Schneider can get a big return, IMO Gillis should keep Lu. Every playoff series lost was to a better healthier team. Experience counts for a lot. I'm happy with Lu in net but I do think Schneider is the better goalie and should only be traded if a star player is coming back.

Edited by sampy, 31 January 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#972 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

after last night's choke to LA it looks as though Lu is past his "best before" date so that means his price is going down!! Has he actually recorded a win this season? Don't think so. I am very surprised he is suited up if Gillis is serious about trading/dumping him!! Injuries to Lu could very well be a double edged sword to this team!!!

He was the reason we even got a point in a game we should have lost. He also has 0.938 SV and 1.61GAA so far but feel free to say he choked and we're going to "dump" him.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

#973 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I've been banned for the last little bit, but needed to quickly thank oldnews - who else - for providing some comedy in my absence.

Dale Wiese and Kevin Connauton for Cal Clutterbuck? Really? :lol: One of the funnier proposals that I've seen in recent memory, and that's coming from a guy who already suggested Coburn, Couturier, and Simmonds for Luongo.

Edited by King of the ES, 31 January 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#974 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Here's a better idea.

4 million cap for Schneider is nothing when we pay these 3 plugs 5 and a half million.

Waive a player you could trade for futures, all pending UFAs, and a guy who signed a two way contract. Brilliant. A much better idea.

Edited by oldnews, 31 January 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#975 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Don't want Lu to go anywhere. Keep him I say, KEEP HIM. :rolleyes: <_< -_- :lol: :) ::D

I know reality says this will likely not happen, I am not dumb.

The media has done a great job of turning people into rapid clueless and ungrateful fans. Sorry, not trying to say you are all clueless, but you know who you are. :emot-parrot:
Posted Image
Sig pic by -Vintage Canuck- Thank You!!!!

Love the Canucks!

Keep Loungo in Vancouver :towel:
http://www.ipetition...o-in-vancouver/

#976 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I've been banned for the last little bit, but needed to quickly thank oldnews - who else - for providing some comedy in my absence.

Dale Wiese and Kevin Connauton for Cal Clutterbuck? Really? :lol: One of the funnier proposals that I've seen in recent memory, and that's coming from a guy who already suggested Coburn, Couturier, and Simmonds for Luongo.

So...now that you're back, you'll be reclaiming the "comedy" aspect of the thread...is that what you're saying?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#977 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Welcome back King - and here I thought you were simply hiding, speechless. I'm sure we've all missed you. What could you possibly have been banned for?
Glad you found the Weise and Connauton proposal funny - it was there solely to bait you and Smashian into exactly what you've just provided. Thanks.
I can see you haven't missed a beat - with the exception of your selective memory - as your signature move you've misquoted my proposal, but who cares?
Have fun in the Multiple Warning signs thread haha! ::D

#978 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Although the team may run at a loss, the corporation that owns the team and runs the arena has been fairly profitable.

Now, with increased revenue sharing, the losses on the HRR side will be offset further, making them even more profitable.

Of course, increased ticket sales, merchandise, and playoff revenue due to acquiring a franchise goaltender with a long history in the area could increase profits even further.

Don't you think those numbers would be substantially lower if they spent another 20 to 30 million dollars on their payroll every year? Sure, they might "technically" be able to afford Luongo, but do they want to?

#979 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

So...now that you're back, you'll be reclaiming the "comedy" aspect of the thread...is that what you're saying?

He left so much behind that I think he was the king even in his absence.

#980 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

For those that don't know, Cox was saying Canucks are not getting anything for Lu.

He's not the only one.

Ferraro was on the radio this morning basically saying that it doesn't make sense for Florida to be interested either, because of Markstrom and because they don't have the kind of money that they risk exposing themselves to in an early buyout situation.

Again, not a question of Lu's ability, entirely an issue of contract and limited buyers.

#981 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Here's a better idea.

And have at least $4 dollars in talent on the bench every game of the playoffs?! Not disagreeing that Raymond, Malhotra and Ebbett should all go, but keeping Schneider and Luongo into the playoffs makes no sense...

#982 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Welcome back King - and here I thought you were simply hiding, speechless. I'm sure we've all missed you. What could you possibly have been banned for?

Thanks. I was banned for "antagonizing Canucks fans". I'm a fan myself, so this is a bit strange to me, but I guess sometimes my responses/sentiment can be a bit too bearish on some of the aspects of this team, so I will need to watch out for that.

Indeed, I don't want to lose posting privileges again.

#983 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Thanks. I was banned for "antagonizing Canucks fans". I'm a fan myself, so this is a bit strange to me, but I guess sometimes my responses/sentiment can be a bit too bearish on some of the aspects of this team, so I will need to watch out for that.

Yes. Multiple warnings do equal bans.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#984 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Don't you think those numbers would be substantially lower if they spent another 20 to 30 million dollars on their payroll every year? Sure, they might "technically" be able to afford Luongo, but do they want to?

Where the hell are you getting "20 to 30 million" from? I'm simply suggesting they spend 5 more to upgrade their goaltending from Theodore to Luongo. Not to mention losing one other 3 million-dollar-ish contract (Kopecky, Bergenheim, Upshall) in the process.

If the Panthers really didn't want to spend anything more than absolutely necessary, then why did they trade for Brian Campbell? Playoffs do wonderful things for revenue. Not just directly either, as fan interest as a whole grows.
Posted Image

#985 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks. I was banned for "antagonizing Canucks fans". I'm a Leafs fan myself, so this is a bit strange to me, but I guess sometimes my responses/sentiment can be a bit too bulltish on some of the aspects of this team, so I will need to watch out for that.

Given your penchant for misquoting me, I've taken the liberty of editing your post.

#986 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

MG is far better off doing exactly what he has claimed all along...IF a deal that improves the Canucks comes along then and ONLY then will he consider asking Lou about a trade.
Other GM's know exactly what the Canucks need & want and they also know MG can't afford to give Lou away without losing credibility; that would affect deals in the future.
I can even see a scenario whereby Lou doesn't even move next summer, if other teams deem they do not need Lou for MG's asking price.
The only hitch could be a deteriorating relationship between our goalies or with AV. As I see it, Cory & Lou are as professional as I've ever seen pro athletes. The Canucks have risen together; they have battled and endured the biased opinions about our team. All this leads to a tight dressing room.
Sports writers are prostitutes that will write anything to make a buck, never letting the obvious truth get in the way of their bizarre conclusions.
Hopes and dreams of fans & writers never cease to amaze and are an amusing read, just go back and read comments following the Cody trade.
It shows that running a business is something most have a hard time comprehending.
Kudos MG, I truly believe you are the right guy for the job and trust you want the cup as much as any fan and are willing to do the right moves to get us there....
if that means 2 starters in net so be it, maybe it's a new model that other may copy and sports writers will praise once the obvious has slapped them enough to wake them from their collective trance.
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#987 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

And have at least $4 dollars in talent on the bench every game of the playoffs?! Not disagreeing that Raymond, Malhotra and Ebbett should all go, but keeping Schneider and Luongo into the playoffs makes no sense...

If Luongo continues to play the way he's playing, he won't be traded, Schneider will.

#988 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

If Luongo continues to play the way he's playing, he won't be traded, Schneider will.

Your wish may in fact come true - with each day that Luongo stays with this team, you'd have to think that the odds of Schneider being traded increase incrementally.

Just an awful situation, really. There's no way that Schneider's happy about this. And now, if either of the two are traded during the year, and the Canucks don't win the Stanley Cup, bring on the onslaught of "see, I told you we should've traded Luongo/Schneider!"

This is why you don't let issues like this fester.

#989 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Unless, of course, CS returns to the form we all know he'll return to, in which case we'll have two goalies who play really well; one who's really expensive and older, and one who's less expensive and younger.
Either way, Lou gets traded. He costs more, and over the course of a season, whether Lou is hot and CS is not at present, their numbers will be so close that it won't make any sense to trade the cheaper option.

It's funny, now that he isn't stinking up the joint early in the season like he usually does his army of dode slarvers are busy slarving his dode yet again with mantras of "trade Schneider, he'll bring a better return".

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#990 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Luongo's regular season play has never been an issue.

If Canuck's management are content to just rack up the Presidents Trophies, then ya, maybe they keep Luongo.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.