The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I dont think a luongo deal is as "imminent" as most think. The media puts words in MG's mouth.

This season will determine who gets dealt. Cory is the starter cause they want to see how he fairs with the pressure of a starting goalie. Dont get me wrong all signs point to a pending Lu deal but if Cory doesnt have a good season, it could be him on the block, for a bigger return too.

It always seems to be a shock in the end with situations like this..

I dont think a luongo deal is as "imminent" as most think. The media puts words in MG's mouth.

This season will determine who gets dealt. Cory is the starter cause they want to see how he fairs with the pressure of a starting goalie. Dont get me wrong all signs point to a pending Lu deal but if Cory doesnt have a good season, it could be him on the block, for a bigger return too.

It always seems to be a shock in the end with situations like this..

Lol i know i sound crazy but crazier things have happened. With cory coming up or not, its a shame that we as a fan base hung our best ever goalie out to dry. Richard Brodeur, McLean, even Cloutier was never treated like this...

Luongo hasnt deserved any of the BS thats come his way.

We dont deserve a stanley cup, i bet Lu (if he gets traded) will win one before we do...

And i know not all fans feel the same way but the majority rules, we for the most part are anything but a loyal fan base. All i hear is lu's a sieve, sedins arent playoff performers, Gillis is dumb, AVs a bum, blabla...

I guess most of u dont remember the mid-late 90s...

Lol i know i sound crazy but crazier things have happened. With cory coming up or not, its a shame that we as a fan base hung our best ever goalie out to dry. Richard Brodeur, McLean, even Cloutier was never treated like this...

Luongo hasnt deserved any of the BS thats come his way.

We dont deserve a stanley cup, i bet Lu (if he gets traded) will win one before we do...

And i know not all fans feel the same way but the majority rules, we for the most part are anything but a loyal fan base. All i hear is lu's a sieve, sedins arent playoff performers, Gillis is dumb, AVs a bum, blabla...

I guess most of u dont remember the mid-late 90s...

What about?

Booth & Luongo for Kessel. With a negotiating window or toronto Gives the Canucks a chance to talk with Kessel about resinging.

Toronto takes on a lot of cap but brings in the Goalie they need and a replacement for Kessel both under contract.

or Raymond & Luongo

Then we could get rid of Ballard and Booth/Raymond for cap space next year. Trade Booth/Raymond & buyout Ballard. Ballard isn't all that bad but simply too expensive for his role.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Kesler Kessel

Raymond/Booth Schroeder Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Volpatti/Weise/Malhotra

What about?

Booth & Luongo for Kessel. With a negotiating window or toronto Gives the Canucks a chance to talk with Kessel about resinging.

Toronto takes on a lot of cap but brings in the Goalie they need and a replacement for Kessel both under contract.

or Raymond & Luongo

Then we could get rid of Ballard and Booth/Raymond for cap space next year. Trade Booth/Raymond & buyout Ballard. Ballard isn't all that bad but simply too expensive for his role.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Kesler Kessel

Raymond/Booth Schroeder Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Volpatti/Weise/Malhotra

meh, I don't think so.......grossly, grossly over rated. Good skater, but small, soft and one dimensional. He'd get eaten alive in the West......not to mention, where is he going to play? The d-corp is pretty locked up atm.

This is set t be one of the deepest drafts in a long time........the Leafs are trying to rebuild, they'll keep their picks

Yeah, picking up Kessel we sure would be getting bigger/nastier for spring wars.MAYBE, if TO ate lots of our cap, eg:

Luongo, Booth, Ballard, Sauve- for: Kessel, Biggs, Ashton/Colborne, Komisarek, perhaps a 2nd?

We open up cap, esp for next year. Get more youth/size up front, in prospects. Buy out Komi(does he have another yr?)

TO can try & weasel outa' the horrendous Kessel deal-just move on from it. If Luongo plays well it eases the sting. The other 2 players(US-they must love), offer experience & speed.

Don't even know if I'd find this agreeable-just trying to figure HOW Gillis would accept Phil(w/ his baggage)...

Well, Garrison is an upgrade in the sense of toughness certainly, and as a two way D.But he's Salo's replacement, not our German buddy's. So far our team D looks ordinary with Edler playing his off - side to accomodate Garrison. We are still very weak on the right side! Nor have we replaced Erhoff's ability to put the puck on his stick and carry the puck up ice against pressure.

So we have yet to see any sense of D play as good as our finals year. I suppose (sincerely) having Vandermeer add's that extra element of toughness, should we have occasion to call on depth, and Barker is 225 odd lbs. But Hamhuis and Bieksa had trouble with San Jose's size up in our Top 4 and Edler/Garrison clearly have not gelled yet. Thats on D.

The San Jose game displayed obvious size mis match problem, albeit with Booth, Manny (coaches decision ???) and Kesler out. We'll have to see if AV can put our world beating D back into game form, but there are obvious needs up front which should be addressed as well.

Even at full health with Booth and Kesler back, the way I see it we should be moving a left wing, a left D (Ballard/Garrison/Edler/Bieksa is $19.3 mill per year) and a goalie to make room for a right D, a big right wing, a centre and a back up goalie in no particular order. Not at full strength we're clearly getting our lunch handed to us in size match up problems which might be solved making moves we need to make anyway...

I realize Old News promised everyone here Garrison was superb on the right side knocking one of those off the table.... :rolleyes: , I still say we also would like to that D trade to incorporate a puck rushing D into that equation. And if it was a left side puck rushing D (Leddy, Gardiner) then in fact we need to move two left D to get the perfect mix?

Well that's why we went out and got Barker and Vandermeer.

Our D was good enough to get us to the finals, and replacing Ehrhoff with Garrison is only an upgrade in the toughness department.

I'd say their preety similar players.

Hitting: Torres

Hockey IQ: slight edge to CC

Fighting: Even

Torres is probably one of the most feared forecheckers in the game, he puts the fear of God to defenders when on the forecheck.

Clutterbuck might be the more consistent hitter, but he's not a devastating hitter like Torres. He could turn a game with a single hit (Thornton,Seabrook) Good or bad he's a impactful player.

I thought one of MG's mistakes was not bringing back Torres, he's had a great chemistry with Hansen and Lappiere during our cup run..

Archived