#1051 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I warn you to change opinion.

As I will hate to see you crushed emotionally when Luongo is the one who is traded.

You "warn" me? Cute.

#1052 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Lu's not going to be getting traded if he continues to obviously outplay Schneider. And I would argue that it does make sense for the team to move him. This team has looked very mediocre. Colorado, last night, may well have been the worst-iced team in NHL history, and Vancouver did not show up for the first 10 minutes of the game. Had it not been for sheer luck from Lu's knob and subsequent luck by Colorado shooting the rebound from that sequence square at Lu's back (who was far out of position), that game may have been much different.

Keeping Lu will also not do anything positive for Schneider's confidence, regardless of how mentally strong you all think he is. He's still human. And he's still not yet a starting NHL goaltender.

...yes, that's the point.

That precisely tells you that the interest just isn't there. Some teams might be interested - if, as Gillis suggested, we take back some of their cap crap in return. What does that tell you? The market has spoken. And I don't see how the price goes anywhere but down - but please, feel free to share the ways in which you think Lu's value will rise. 34 years old. Big money, big term. GM is in a known conundrum.

Check you record player. Same tune keeps playing.

#1053 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Didn't look very defensive when he "cleared" the puck right up the middle to Joe Thornton, leading to San Jose's opening goal and the floodgates being burst open. I believe he had a similar blatant error against either the Ducks or the Flames; clearing failure leading to an opposing goal.

Even the most optimistic of Jason Garrison fans can't seriously think that he's been anything better than shaky. With regards to his "goal", that will be saved by a PeeWee goalie 90% of the time. Varlamov was sleeping (like 90% of the audience, in his defense).

Meanwhile, in Tampa Bay...

Wow, aren't you the one who argues that stats are the be all, end all and goals going of Hodgson's ass and in is just as good of a goal because the bottom line is the bottom line (production)? I'm really not one to freak out over two goals against, so get back to me at the later this year.

People said the same crap about Hamhuis until they started to notice the little things and I believe I've seen Hamhuis gift wrap passes that lead to goals before as well (not just his epic fail there in game #5 OT vs LA). Heck, Edler does it from time to time as well and don't get me started on the $6.5m Phaneuf and his plethora of gaffes...

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1054 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

You "warn" me? Cute.

Sorry warn wasn't the right word, too controlling.

I advise is the right word.

I advise you too view it from a more objective stand point that way it will be easier for you to understand the trade once it happens.

zackass.png

#1055 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

In the playoffs, there won't be the goaltender merry-go-round that we see going on right now. So I'm not sure how someone sitting on our bench will add more value than whatever we could get back from a Luongo deal.

Keep being Chicken Little.

You were adamant that Lou would be losing his value sitting on the bench at this point of the season after having a slow start. Completely wrong.

A deal will get done, when the time is right for the proper return, which will help solidify the Canucks roster and improve their chances of playoff success.

It's going to work out just fine for fans of the team. We aren't all nervous nellies. You are no different than the hack reporters that need to find turbulence in every situation to justify your own existence.

Edited by theminister, 31 January 2013 - 06:30 PM.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#1056 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

So why is it that you can pronounce that my player evaluations are incorrect, using a 7-game sample, but suddenly when the exact same parameters are spun upon you - with Garrison, for example - it's "failed logic"?

Do you see the double standard yet?

I think theminister was correct when he labelled you a prognosticator, because all you seem to focus on is the current trend. Yes, Garrison is struggling and Hank hasn't scored yet - neither has Kessel (who is an actual scorer, not a set up man), or Phaneuf who is currently a -7. What I also pointed out is players who have not performed well in their hockey career, two in particular that you seem to glorify as being worth more than Luongo - namely: Dubnyk and Paajarvi.

Dubnyk in his professional playing career has consistently had a GAA above 2.7, often above 3.00 - this is not a goaltender who is greater than Luongo. Paajarvi spent last season in the AHL, after making a roster spot the year before, now he is on Edmonton's 4th line ... hardly a guy with his value increasing. Smashian also mentioned Brassard, a guy you seem to value highly who has yet to perform at the NHL level.

So in short, stop using fluff and distortion to try and distract me and other posters from the opinions and criticisms you tend to ignore, and acknowledge the point of their argument.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1057 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Wow, aren't you the one who argues that stats are the be all, end all and goals going of Hodgson's ass and in is just as good of a goal because the bottom line is the bottom line (production)? I'm really not one to freak out over two goals against, so get back to me at the later this year.

People said the same crap about Hamhuis until they started to notice the little things and I believe I've seen Hamhuis gift wrap passes that lead to goals before as well (not just his epic fail there in game #5 OT vs LA). Heck, Edler does it from time to time as well and don't get me started on the $6.5m Phaneuf and his plethora of gaffes...

It amazes me how quickly people forget that the Hamhius-Bieksa combo was mediocre for their first 20 games together until they got some chemistry. After that the were the statistically best duo in the league for +/- the rest of the year.

I expect a similar progression with Garrison this year. It'll be mid-season until we see his mid-season form. Funny that.

#1058 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Maybe the "stupid reporters" aren't so stupid after all. Ferraro, again, said today that Schneider's agent, who he was a former teammate of, is certainly not at all happy about this. This is not what they signed up for in June. Schneider turns 27 in March. 27! Lu was 27 when he arrived as a Canuck, and by then he was already a very well-established, perceived elite NHL goaltender.

Schneider, meanwhile, has played in 72 NHL games.

I was talking about the stupid reporters asking Schneider the same question 3 times in a row today after practice.

And obviously his Agent isn't happy it is his agent, Agent's are biased to there client and they should be.

I don't put a ton of stock into what Ray Ferraro says anymore, I used to really like his insight and I do on somethings, but after hearing him bash Schroeder, Kassian and Raymond the way he as, only to see them come out and play very well off the top.

I don't mind his insight with on ice matters like analyzing games, but when it comes to speculation and being an insider, he is far from the first guy I put my trust into.

Schneids and his agent knows this is only a temporary thing, Luongo won't be here forever.

In the playoffs, there won't be the goaltender merry-go-round that we see going on right now. So I'm not sure how someone sitting on our bench will add more value than whatever we could get back from a Luongo deal.

We have to get into the playoff though, and in this shortened season our playoff spot is anything but confirmed (As I would expect you to know since you predicted us to miss the playoffs after 2 games)

Add Bozak and a 5th round pick doesn't add anything, adding Upshall and Petrovic doesn't add anything, the pieces in play right now don't really add anything worthwhile, like this trade has too.

Luongo helps us more than whatever we could get right now.

zackass.png

#1059 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Then why sign him to a 6 year, $4.6M per deal?

Wasn't Aaron Rome a pretty reliable defenseman?

Yeah, why sign this guy for $4.25m/year?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/135

Niklas Grossman at $3.5m for a guy that has 3g in his last 350gp. Why would Philly do that? Why would Boston pay $3.4m/year for a 29 year old Boychuk? Keep in mind these guys were on the open market when they signed.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1060 Beefcake

Beefcake

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Our best chance to win the Stanley Cup is having both Lui and Cory on the team.

Edited by Beefcake, 31 January 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#1061 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Our best chance to win the Stanley Cup is having both Lui and Cory on our team.

not if Kesler is going to be out for months

#1062 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

No doubt, no doubt Bozak and Scrivens would be better than Luongo in 2010-2011:

#1063 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

You were adamant that Lou would be losing his value sitting on the bench at this point of the season after having a slow start. Completely wrong.

Completely wrong? How? He's still on our team. If he gets traded tonight (or ever) for a package consisting of Braydon Coburn, Sean Couturier, and Wayne Simmonds - oldnews' proposal - or a package consisting of Teddy Purcell, Keith Aulie, and TB's 1st - Gollumpus/Smashian's proposal - I will very happily say that I was wrong. I don't expect that I'll need to do that.

My thoughts on this whole ordeal really haven't changed. Luongo shutting out a jaw-droppingly bad Avalanche team doesn't make me think that GMs around the league are suddenly going to realize what an amazing opportunity they have to acquire him.

To me, Gillis is the guy that's holding a stock that's falling, and all he can do is sit back, hope, and pray that the market will somehow turn around - which typically doesn't happen. I think he's played this wrong and I'd still heavily favor trading Schneider first, especially in light of what has happened to start this season.

#1064 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,531 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Keep being Chicken Little.

A deal will get done, when the time is right for the proper return, which will help solidify the Canucks roster and improve their chances of playoff success.

It's going to work out just fine for fans of the team. We aren't all nervous nellies. You are no different than the hack reporters that need to find turbulence in every situation to justify your own existence.

Luongo having his 3rd start in a row tomorrow, and so far having good stats, could this be a bit of a showcase early on to up his stock to a number of teams interested? His stock is pretty steady at this point having already avoided the usual slow start, but there's always ways to have it improve further.

Having said that, they're even in paying time to this point (basically) so if Schneider gets two of the starts next week - one is away to Minnesota - they'll still be splitting the time in the net. They'll use Luongo while they have him, and they aren't going to put him in if it means a lesser chance of winning, but I'd have expected Schneider to get one of the starts this week.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1065 laxgoalie

laxgoalie

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Honestly when the wings won the cup in 2008, they had two number one goalies in Osgood and Hasek. BUT you have to remember that during that playoff run Osgood took the reins and played 19 games to Haseks 4. So yes you are right, I don't see the value in sitting Luongo or Schneider, when we could have a top 6 forward, or roster piece that could help us out more.

But what I don't agree on was your assessment on Garrison. He's played 7 games, on a new team, in a new system, with new team mates, and without any pre-season games to get adjusted. You won't be able to tell if he's a bust, or a good signing, until part way through the season, when he's properly settled in the Canucks system, etc. So far he has been shaky, but you have to give the guy time.
Posted Image Posted Image

#1066 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,056 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

You're right, I should know better than to hope for a reasonable discussion instead of you and King going right back to bickering about nothing.

Have at 'er then, if it gets bad enough, I'll put you on ignore right along with King - it'll make this thread easier to read.

My sincere sympathies elvis - your life would be so much easier if I'd simply stop posting responses to King - the last few pages ought to be ample evidence of that. By all means put me on ignore - I'd prefer that to your tedious, self-righteous protests and attempts to appropriate virtually every thread on CDC.

#1067 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Completely wrong? How? He's still on our team. If he gets traded tonight (or ever) for a package consisting of Braydon Coburn, Sean Couturier, and Wayne Simmonds - oldnews' proposal - or a package consisting of Teddy Purcell, Keith Aulie, and TB's 1st - Gollumpus/Smashian's proposal - I will very happily say that I was wrong. I don't expect that I'll need to do that.

My thoughts on this whole ordeal really haven't changed. Luongo shutting out a jaw-droppingly bad Avalanche team doesn't make me think that GMs around the league are suddenly going to realize what an amazing opportunity they have to acquire him.

To me, Gillis is the guy that's holding a stock that's falling, and all he can do is sit back, hope, and pray that the market will somehow turn around - which typically doesn't happen. I think he's played this wrong and I'd still heavily favor trading Schneider first, especially in light of what has happened to start this season.

Stop adding me in this proposal, as it was never mine and I never said it was a fair deal. And I have told you this many times, atleast 3-5 times before. So just stop.

My proposal's have been:

Luongo for Kadri, Bozak, 2nd

Luongo for Frattin, Finn, 1st

Both of which are fair or close to it value wise

zackass.png

#1068 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

You are completely wrong about how it would play out early in the season. Your prediction was wrong. Flat out.

As for Lou's trade value, you have never known what his market value was, and you still don't know, regardless of the early season play of each player. None of us do but most of us only speculate rather than claim as you do.

You can say that MG played this poorly but you're, again, predicting how a story will finish before it does. What's worse, you are incapable of holding your hands up and admitting it.

Face it, most here are tired of your act and can see right through it as the act that it is.

Edited by theminister, 31 January 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#1069 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Just wait for a team like florida to hit the panic button which they are very close to doing with the way they started this season goaltending has been a huge issue for them

washington is another team not in rough shape goal wise seems like neuvrith has grabbed the number 1 and is running with it and so far is clearly the better goaltender we will see how long that lasts

toronto still a player in all of this their goaltending so far hasn't been the reason they have lost games

wild card being phildelphia although the only way that happens during the season is if they loan bryzgalov to the khl like chicago did with huet i don't see that happening at all

#1070 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Meanwhile, in Tampa Bay...

I missed this little quip but, yes, now take Lecavalier (their Kesler) and Malone (Booth) out of the lineup and their production will have undoubtedly gone down.

Lecavalier and Malone both have higher G/60 than both St. Louis and Stamkos when they're on the ice 5-on-4. 5-on-5 Malone has a higher G/60 than Stamkos and Lecavalier a slightly higher G/60 than St. Louis 5-on-5. This means there are two units that Salo can capitalize with, unlike here with the eggs all in one basket set up we currently have.

Kesler and Booth's absence is having an effect on our secondary D pair's scoring from the back end and our primary scoring from the twins (who get the opposition's 100% defensive focus). Hell, Tampa's 3rd line is almost on par with the twins' offensive production so far.

#1071 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

What I also pointed out is players who have not performed well in their hockey career, two in particular that you seem to glorify as being worth more than Luongo - namely: Dubnyk and Paajarvi.

Dubnyk in his professional playing career has consistently had a GAA above 2.7, often above 3.00 - this is not a goaltender who is greater than Luongo. Paajarvi spent last season in the AHL, after making a roster spot the year before, now he is on Edmonton's 4th line ... hardly a guy with his value increasing. Smashian also mentioned Brassard, a guy you seem to value highly who has yet to perform at the NHL level.

I have never, ever said that Dubnyk is better or more valuable than Luongo. What I said is that a reasonable argument can be made for the Oilers to want to try and continue developing Dubnyk, who has shown signs of potential. From Edmonton's perspective, they can either try and continue developing Dubnyk, which costs them nothing, or they can make a move for Luongo, who would cost them a guy like Paajarvi or Gagner (or Nail Yakupov or RNH, as a few delusional fans on this site might suggest) and also "cost" them Dubnyk's development.

RE: Paajarvi - yes. He's not looking good right now at all. I'm not sure what's gone wrong. He is still very young, but he doesn't seem to be heading in the right direction. Keep in mind that my comments on Paajarvi were prior to even this AHL season starting. He is underperforming in what is an obviously critical year for him. Big red flag.

RE: Brassard. All I said was that CBJ wouldn't trade us him for Mason Raymond. That was Smashian's proposal. Smashian went the route of proposing the trade, telling everyone how amazing Raymond is, how horrible Brassard is, and that CBJ would be insane to not do this (typical for proposals on this site). Though he also doesn't appear to be heading in the right direction, currently, there would still likely be a good amount of interest around the NHL to "reclaim" a guy like Brassard. He has had NHL success. Check his 08-09 season. Highly productive.

#1072 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

We have to get into the playoff though, and in this shortened season our playoff spot is anything but confirmed (As I would expect you to know since you predicted us to miss the playoffs after 2 games)

I made sure to make that prediction prior to the season starting, actually.

Add Bozak and a 5th round pick doesn't add anything, adding Upshall and Petrovic doesn't add anything, the pieces in play right now don't really add anything worthwhile, like this trade has too.

Luongo helps us more than whatever we could get right now.

Is that right? How strange! Doesn't everybody want him, though? Shouldn't there be a bidding war? What's the hold up?

:bigblush:

Edited by King of the ES, 31 January 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#1073 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, why sign this guy for $4.25m/year?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/135

Niklas Grossman at $3.5m for a guy that has 3g in his last 350gp. Why would Philly do that? Why would Boston pay $3.4m/year for a 29 year old Boychuk? Keep in mind these guys were on the open market when they signed.

Other teams making mistakes don't justify our own.

There's nothing forcing these GMs to make these signings; it is a (mostly, besides the cap/floor) free market. Sometimes it takes a wise GM to step aside and let other people sign all the star UFAs.

#1074 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

No doubt, no doubt Bozak and Scrivens would be better than Luongo in 2010-2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkIwC2sT09I

:lol:

Schneider had a panic attack. Luongo finished the game for him. You're referencing a one-time, extremely low probability event for your point on the merits of keeping both goalies for the playoffs?

Please remind me - how many goals did we score against Boston, again? Over a full 7 games?

#1075 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I don't think luongo is going to use his NTC after saying to the media and the organization that he wanted to be traded. If Luongo was indifferent on staying / leaving he wouldn't of said anything to the media.

Again. When has Luongo asked for a trade?

#1076 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,056 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Proves my point that if guys on the Leafs get off to a bad start, they're horrible and will suck forever, but if guys on the Canucks do, it's just a small sample size.

The lack of objectivity on your part is quite frankly embarrassing.

Phaneuf is their captain however, and the sample size is season after season.

Garrison on the other hand is doing just fine in his small sample size - he's 8th on the team in relative corsi, he's tops at +4, he has a goal in 7 games which projects to 7 over a shortened season (12 over a full season), he's in the top 5 in quality of competition he is facing...fairly obvious he's the same player MG thought he was signing when he gave him an extremely reasonable 4.6 per.
I see your warning signs and raise you a panic button lol.

#1077 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

There's nothing forcing these GMs to make these signings; it is a (mostly, besides the cap/floor) free market. Sometimes it takes a wise GM to step aside and let other people sign all the star UFAs.

There is a Garrison thread in Canucks Talk where you can discuss his value i will just add this to the conversation

Detroit and Philadelphia were two teams ready to give Garrison more money than the Canucks he would of been paid easily 5-6 million open market

#1078 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

You are completely wrong about how it would play out early in the season. Your prediction was wrong. Flat out.

And what prediction is this?

#1079 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Just wait for a team like florida to hit the panic button which they are very close to doing with the way they started this season goaltending has been a huge issue for them

Sorry, Lu isn't a "panic" acquisition. He's signed until 2022, in case you've forgotten.

Not exactly a Martin Rucinsky/Geoff Sanderson situation.

#1080 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

The point is, smarter hockey minds than you don't think these are mistakes (otherwise you'd be sitting with your feet up in some NHL GM's office with a cigar in your mouth and some "dumb" current GM would be on here typing posts instead). If it weren't for Willie Mitchell's multiple concussons, he would've also been on one of those 4-5year/$14-$17.5m contracts. Was that also a mistake by Dean Lombardi (2 years, plus two year extension)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.