The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

That's great and all but I think Lu needs to start to panic a bit and go to a place he may not want to go to.

I think there is a deal out there for us but Lu doesn't want to go there.

Eventually something is going to have to give.

I'm sure if one of those 3 teams you've mentioned really want Lu and give us a package that'll work for us, Gillis can sell Luongo on playing the rest of his career there. At least lets all hope he can.

Luongo + conditional pick? for Kessel + Scrivens / Rimer

would it be reasonable? Proabably two allstars involved, and approximately the same amount of cap space

would you be happy? Other than Kessel being UFA in 2015, we could use the extra zip in the Offense, could also be a great right winger with Kesler and maybe makes booth expendable next year.

would toronto be happy? Luongo with Carlyle's style of game would be a great mix. So maybe

would MG do it? Probably, top 6 forward and a young promising prospect. Pretty much Gillis' asking price

I'm not trying to speculate just merely curious

Funny but just watching the game now and was thinking the exact same thing.

Then you look at their roster and outside of the big names, who the heck would we want? We could bring home Cookie. He's exactly the type of player we could use.

Their prospect pool doesn't appear to be that great either.

Well the saga continues, and the landscape changes nightly. I am quite certain that all the interested parties know what it will take to get a deal done with their specific team.

We just have to wait until someone blinks. When it happens you can almost be sure that we don't hear a rumour beforehand and it will happen quickly. It will be a single phone call from the other GM saying "OK, I am good with your price"

Right now it looks like Florida and Washington are as close as anyone to hitting the panic button with the two worst goals against in the league. I don't count Philly because they can't take Luongo until the summer unless they can get rid of Bryzgalov.

I don't think our situation is as dire as folks are making it out to be. We have two major injuries to our top 6 and are still hovering at the .500 mark. We are a better team with Luongo than with any immediate return we are going to get for him (at best a #4 Right shooting D or a 3rd liner) plus some package of picks/prospects.

Luongo + conditional pick? for Kessel + Scrivens / Rimer

would it be reasonable? Proabably two allstars involved, and approximately the same amount of cap space

would you be happy? Other than Kessel being UFA in 2015, we could use the extra zip in the Offense, could also be a great right winger with Kesler and maybe makes booth expendable next year.

would toronto be happy? Luongo with Carlyle's style of game would be a great mix. So maybe

would MG do it? Probably, top 6 forward and a young promising prospect. Pretty much Gillis' asking price

I'm not trying to speculate just merely curious

I don't want kessel. I disagree though oldnews. I think he would do great here if he played with the twins. Playing with those 2 is a real treat and brings the A game out of everybody. But that's why I'm hella optimistic on kassian. I think they're going to keep him motivated and consistent. For his development alone I don't really want to bring in a star for the first line. The more Kass plays with them the better player he will be in the end. They could turn him into one of the most coveted players in the league with a good 4 years of playing together and showing him how to be elite.

On that note I don't think we should get kessel. I don't see the same success playing with kesler as he would with the twins. It would be a waste of 5.4 mill. We could just drop another contract and get a top 2nd line center for 6.5-7 and put kesler on the third checking. Can you say instant cup lol

Another terrible performance by Florida goaltending. I wonder if Tallon is ok with tanking the season. You'd think he'd want to build off of last season. With the condensed schedule and the Panther off to a terrible start, time is ticking.

Well the saga continues, and the landscape changes nightly. I am quite certain that all the interested parties know what it will take to get a deal done with their specific team.

We just have to wait until someone blinks. When it happens you can almost be sure that we don't hear a rumour beforehand and it will happen quickly. It will be a single phone call from the other GM saying "OK, I am good with your price"

Right now it looks like Florida and Washington are as close as anyone to hitting the panic button with the two worst goals against in the league. I don't count Philly because they can't take Luongo until the summer unless they can get rid of Bryzgalov.

I don't think our situation is as dire as folks are making it out to be. We have two major injuries to our top 6 and are still hovering at the .500 mark. We are a better team with Luongo than with any immediate return we are going to get for him (at best a #4 Right shooting D or a 3rd liner) plus some package of picks/prospects.

Things have happened, Dynamics have changed, moving parts have moved. I think it is time to re-assess the (rumoured/speculated) market.

Chicago:

If it was ever a possibility (Which from our perspective I don't think it was) This one has been put far back on the backburner for now, Chicago is off to a great start and there is no reason to make changes, but once again I don't think they were ever a serious contender from our perspective, they wouldn't give up what it would take to happen and rightly so.

Edmonton:

Pretty much status-quo, again never highly considered as it would take something great for us to move him to a division rival, something they would never give up, Still isn't really a serious possibility.

Florida:

This is the one team that has remained in the same situation the entire time, still very much in the thick of things, not willing to give up what we want, but the goaltending hasn't picked up and hasn't filled there need for help in net like they had hoped, still not willing to give up Bjugstad. not sure where the situation with Weiss remains (if they are willing to move him now or not) but the Huberdeau/Mueller/Kovalev line has been very good for them in the absence of Weiss and Versteeg. If we were to make a deal with them is seems apparent we would have to take salary back, which MG doesn't seem willing to do right now. FLA is very much in the running IMO, but the stars aren't aligned yet.

NY Islanders:

Never really seemed like a big contender, as it never made sense for them to trade future assets when they aren't in "win now" mode, and I can't see them taking on 2 life long deals, don't see how they can afford it. Also they aren't playing that bad, beat Pittsburgh 4-1 tonight and Nabokov has been giving them solid goaltending for the time being. Seems the same as before, Isles aren't really a possibility right now.

Philadelphia:

Goaltending doesn't seem great, but it is the same old story. With Bryz there, they can't make a move for Luongo, so unless we want to take on Bryz, or unless he starts letting in 10 goals a game and they get really desperate (enough to take on both contracts) Philly isn't a serious contender till the summer, although if Bryz doesn't pick it up, they may very well be a major contender in the summer.

San Jose:

Any possibility as slim as it may have been of San Jose being a potential fit for a trade, that chance has completely evaporated for the time being, all the players we would want have been playing great for them and Niemi has been just fine, I never thought it was a serious possibility anyways, but it certainly isn't now.

Toronto:

Toronto is still right there, goaltending hasn't improved, but what are they going to give? Gardiner has never really been in the cards and Kadri and Bozak (as much as we want them, or don't want them) aren't in play right now it seems as both have been major pieces for Toronto and as there top 2 centers, it would probably create a bigger hole than it fills overall. Aslong as Riemer and Scrivens continue to play like Riemer and Scrivens, you have to think they are one of the top dogs in the hunt, but the issue is the return, so they aren't the top dog anymnore.

Tampa Bay:

Never really thought this was an immediate possibility either, as they paid that price for Lindback and were going to give him a long long look before looking elsewhere, but Lindback has played pretty well so far, and provided quality goaltending for a 1st time starter, I conclude that Tampa is not in the running.

Washington:

Ahh the Caps, you have to think they are the main contender now. There defense (& Offense) have struggled but there goaltending hasn't been of any help. if they hope for a cup they have to look elsewhere, Nuevirth and Holtby aren't going to get them a cup, if they can even bring the caps in the playoffs. Luongo could really help turn there season around and could provide the goaltending to push confidence through the entire line-up. They also have pieces that are nice from our perspective and realistically I think if Washington wanted Luongo, they could provide the return that could satisfy both sides.

If I had the rate them (only the realistic teams that have a shot at the deal right now)

1. Washington

2. Florida

3. Toronto

Aside from that, none of the other teams are in a position to make this deal happen.

Archived