The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I want Weiss+ a prospect (Bjugistad, or a 1st rounder and Drew Shore) for Luongo + Raymond. I think Florida is really our only trade option right now. Their goal tending has been awful and they are at the bottom of the standings. With the new draft lottery their is a chance they could not even get that good of a draft pick, so why not get Lu. Markstrom isn't the stud that many thought he was going to be. Florida needs goal scoring and that's all Raymond can contribute albeit he's rather streaky with it. Weiss would be a good addition now and I think he would re-sign for less here. The prospect would be nice to, I want to re load a bit so when the Sedins retire their is still something to watch in Vancouver.

I think Schultz certainly sets a precedent though, a contract loophole that players coming out of college may have otherwise been ignorant to. There is also Wheeler, who neglected to sign with Pheonix who drafted him 5th overall in 04, signed with Boston and has yet to play a single game in the minors.

In my mind the decision is simple for young players, go to university, get a degree by staying the 4 years, then go to free agency and sign with whichever team you like, not being confined to serfdom by the team that said your name 4 years earlier.

I'm thinking this could be a worse contract loophole than the NHL/KHL agreement. I could see NCAA prospects being taken later in their respective drafts, meaning longer development plans.

It is a big concern especially since Schultz is having such success.

A couple of downside risks are lost earnings while at college and the ever present threat of injury. The lost wages for 4 years is one thing but a lost career through injury, possibly without significant insurance, is another. The college kids coming in at 22 or 23 will also only get a probable 2 year deal. Real studs like Eberle and RNH are already extending their deals after fast starts.

Well from the start MG wanted and still does 1: help now 2.young gun and 3. high draft pick. maybe modify one of them and take a roster dump if it is an awesome young player, but I don't see anything from what he wants back changing at all.I would take Weiss as him and booth have played together and kess can play wing when back.but again we would want atleast a 2nd and young player like a forward as our d is set for years or a young goalie!!I am not going to put in names as to many have and most deals I see put here will never happen!!

i was wondering the same thing, it seems ridiculous that a 22year old that has never played an NHL game has the same freedom that would take another player 8years of service to get. At the least the team should get some compensation if the player walks like they do if a 1st round pick goes unsigned. ( i assume bjustad would qualify for this) but schultz as a 2nd rounder did not.

If Tallon starts to get really pressured from Management then maybe Bjugstad / Roster Dump / Pick or if Gillis gets pressure to trade Luo then maybe Howden / Roster Player / Pick.

Just a gut feeling, if FLA keeps losing they'll want to make a push for Luo. Not because their Goaltending is the only issue, because they can't score either, but it would shake things up in the dressing room and maybe kick start this team.

It is a big concern especially since Schultz is having such success.

A couple of downside risks are lost earnings while at college and the ever present threat of injury. The lost wages for 4 years is one thing but a lost career through injury, possibly without significant insurance, is another. The college kids coming in at 22 or 23 will also only get a probable 2 year deal. Real studs like Eberle and RNH are already extending their deals after fast starts.

Archived