Where is samjam when you need him?

#1532 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,802 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Anyone who thinks MG is going to pull the trigger on any deal involving one of our goaltenders before Ryan Kesler and David Booth comes back is out to lunch on this situation.

Gillis hasn't even had the chance to evaluate his full and complete roster to assess which positions need to be addressed in return for a goaltender... And knowing how meticulous Gillis is, don't expect us to make any moves before we have a chance to see how good our team is in front of both Roberto and Cory...

If our team looks dominant, and I mean 2011 dominant, I can easily see Gillis standing pat and going into the playoffs with two elite goaltenders. The only difference is, Schneider is on par with Luongo this time, and if Luongo falters, AV won't hesitate to put Schneider in - say games like games 4 or 6 vs Boston.

This is the best case scenario I can see for us in this shortened season - if we are a dominant elite team upon Kesler and Booth's return, stand pat with two elite goaltenders, and add a couple depth pieces using draft picks if the opportunity presents itself.

Would you stand pat if someone came to you with a significant offer? Particularly one with a team like Washington that could offer a good goalie on a cheap contract in return?

I agree he's not going to rush, but if the right deal comes along he won't wait. And some teams may not be willing to hang around while he sees what Kesler and Booth do coming back into the lineup. There's definitely the element of being as competitive as possible and wanting to make sure he improves the team (and knows what needs improving) but there's also the element of he has to make a goalie deal at some point. How long does he hold off if he gets a deal he's comfortable with.

To be fair your compliment was reasonably back handed.

Fair enough. Serenity now, serenity now...

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1533 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Alright let me try

To Vancouver: Evgeny Kuznetsov, Mike Green, Braden Holtby/Michal Neuvirth

To Washington: Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond, 2013 2nd

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Volpatti - Malhotra - Lapierre

Hamhuis - Green
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Bieksa

Schneider
Holtby/Neuvirth

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1534 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

To be fair your compliment was reasonably back handed.

I think the people up there in elvis 'class' call that passive-aggressive or something.

#1535 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Brizi is horrible, why are you even arguing?

He needs to defend his thesis that no one would, could or does want Luongo.

#1536 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Putting two and two together anybody should be able to see that missing their own teams game on friday night to fly to Washington clearly shows there is something going on. Its funny that you refuse to aknowledge that, but a reporter who simply asks the gm "hey are you interested in Luongo" and gets the reply No, you believe. Because Gm's have to be honest to the media? Do they like telling them inside information??

I'm not saying that there's nothing to it. I'm merely pointing out credible members of the Washington media deny it. I'm very confident that if those same members instead said something like "we're hearing that there are serious discussions going on right now between VAN and WAS about Luongo", not a single person here would be questioning their credibility. Funny how that works, isn't it?

What's interesting to me is that they only mentioned Luongo, and not Schneider. Honestly, to me, it's looking more and more like Cory is the one that may well be on his way out.

#1537 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Looks like Ed is getting in on the best case scenarios too:

No, I think that's Ed being obviously and patently sarcastic.

#1538 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera

I'm told rumors of #Caps interest in Roberto Luongo are completely unfounded. There hasn't been a single discussion about acquiring him.

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
#Caps have not have single conversation about Roberto Luongo with#Canucks. Any trade speculation is unfounded.

Thats cause they're interested in Schneider...

#1539 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm not saying that there's nothing to it. I'm merely pointing out credible members of the Washington media deny it. I'm very confident that if those same members instead said something like "we're hearing that there are serious discussions going on right now between VAN and WAS about Luongo", not a single person here would be questioning their credibility. Funny how that works, isn't it?

What's interesting to me is that they only mentioned Luongo, and not Schneider. Honestly, to me, it's looking more and more like Cory is the one that may well be on his way out.

I don't agree with what you see when reading between the lines, but if you hypothetically were correct, wouldn't it be great that Gillis didn't sell so low, but waited to this point where Schneider's value is marquis. :bigblush:

#1540 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Anyone who thinks MG is going to pull the trigger on any deal involving one of our goaltenders before Ryan Kesler and David Booth comes back is out to lunch on this situation.

Gillis hasn't even had the chance to evaluate his full and complete roster to assess which positions need to be addressed in return for a goaltender... And knowing how meticulous Gillis is, don't expect us to make any moves before we have a chance to see how good our team is in front of both Roberto and Cory...

If our team looks dominant, and I mean 2011 dominant, I can easily see Gillis standing pat and going into the playoffs with two elite goaltenders. The only difference is, Schneider is on par with Luongo this time, and if Luongo falters, AV won't hesitate to put Schneider in - say games like games 4 or 6 vs Boston.

This is the best case scenario I can see for us in this shortened season - if we are a dominant elite team upon Kesler and Booth's return, stand pat with two elite goaltenders, and add a couple depth pieces using draft picks if the opportunity presents itself.

"Out to lunch"?

Gillis knows full well what Booth and Kesler are capable of.

He also knows that they are not capable of anything right now or any time soon.

Kesler looks overweight in that Tim Horton's video; definitely not game-shape and Booth is 2-3 weeks after Kesler.

Regardless, MG and LG are not in Washington to wait fo Kesler and Booth.

They know what they need, want, and are capable of getting out of the Luongo trade.

They're there together to close the final deal and work out the contracts, cap issues, salary-sharing or whatever it is called, etc.

They will only not trade Luongo if they cannot get back what they want.

"Out to lunch", who?

#1541 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I don't agree with what you see when reading between the lines, but if you hypothetically were correct, wouldn't it be great that Gillis didn't sell so low, but waited to this point where Schneider's value is marquis. :bigblush:

It would be better, yes, but Schneider's value still would've been higher at the deadline of 2012 or earlier.

Anyway, count me in as one that hopes it's Schneider that's actually moved.

#1542 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,197 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

please enlighten us

#1543 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

It would be better, yes, but Schneider's value still would've been higher at the deadline of 2012 or earlier.

Anyway, count me in as one that hopes it's Schneider that's actually moved.

Schneider's value would have been higher when he was an RFA who could have been offersheeted?
I don't think so.
His value has never been higher than it is now. Not only is he signed to a favourable contract, but he's more and more proven as an NHL goaltender.
Hundreds of posts complaining about how Gillis handled this / dropped the ball by not moving Schneider were shortsighted.

Edited by oldnews, 03 February 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#1544 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

dp

Edited by oldnews, 03 February 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#1545 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

See, this is why I don't ignore you completely, a reasonable post - one which I'd think many of us here would agree on! Orlov is more enticing to me than Gardiner, and I'd be interested in a secondary prospect like Galiev even and a pick but we'd have to see just how desperate they are.

Can we get our hands on Tom Wilson too, please? Having him and Kassian would solve any "top-nine toughness" questions for the next decade and a half.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1546 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Gillis heading to Winnipeg next, for Panthers@Jets -Per Ed Willis, The Province.

Interesting.

Bidding war between WAS & FLA?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1547 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,802 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Can we get our hands on Tom Wilson too, please? Having him and Kassian would solve any "top-nine toughness" questions for the next decade and a half.

He seems like he's developing nicely, although I'm not as sure of his offensive skill level (at least what it'll be in the NHL). I'd like to see a little more of him, but he could be an interesting piece. Galiev is tall as well, but more skill and less physical, another one I'd like to see more of.

Edited by elvis15, 03 February 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#1548 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

I still think the deal will be based around MoJo. I really like him, he's still on his ELC, very young and loads of potential. Solidifies our 3rd line and the C positition for years to come.

#1549 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I still think the deal will be based around MoJo. I really like him, he's still on his ELC, very young and loads of potential. Solidifies our 3rd line and the C positition for years to come.

Who is MoJo?
Posted Image

#1550 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,802 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Gillis heading to Winnipeg next, for Panthers@Jets -Per Ed Willis, The Province.

Interesting.

Bidding war between WAS & FLA?

I didn't see that particular Willes tweet, but the ones I did see to that effect I read much differently, more that they were suggesting Gillis do so to create leverage.

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma
Gillis/Gilman should also be in Wpg on Tuesday for Panthers. Create goalie bidding war between Wash.-Fla. #leverage

#1551 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Lp
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#1552 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Who is MoJo?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1748

#1553 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Link? I see no such tweet. The only thing close is this one:

I take that as a suggestion that Gillis should go there to try and up his leverage and not a serious report that he's actually going to.

FAIL

Just a little extra on that:

FAIL
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#1554 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,802 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

A couple resulting articles, one from Ed Willes, who has been tweeting sarcastically about how much the Caps would have to pay, and another from Steve Ewen, more about Luongo getting another start:

Admittedly, the circumstances couldn’t be better from Gillis’s perspective. The Caps are built to win now and they’re struggling under rookie head coach Adam Oates. GM George McPhee is starting to feel the heat and his goaltending has been shaky.

The Caps also have three high-end forward prospects in their organization. Evgeni Kuznetsov might be the best player in the world not in the NHL although his desire to play in North America is in question. The Caps also had two first-rounders this summer in Filip Forsberg and Tom Wilson. There’s a dropoff after Kuznetsov, Forsberg and Wilson but there are still intriguing players.

The calibre of the Caps’ top three, in fact, suggests the deal could involve Cory Schneider. It doesn’t figure the McPhee would trade one of their blue-chippers for a 33-year-old goalie whose contract runs to the end of days, that would be Roberto Luongo.

But who knows where this is heading?

Kesler’s presence made Vancouver’s goalie saga a secondary topic for a change. Vigneault confirmed that Roberto Luongo was getting the start against the Edmonton, and joked that it was again based on a coin flip.

Asked if Cory Schneider would accept a back-up role moving forward, Vigneault said: “I think Cory is going to accept Lui is playing tomorrow and then after we’re going to move onto the next game and decide what’s best for the team. It’s on a game-to-game basis and they’re both quality people and they both do what’s best for the team.”

Washington is certainly intriguing, although I readily admitted I didn't see it happening earlier but things can change. And I do hope we don't give King any fodder here for his argument that the Canucks aren't handling this properly and it's a distraction. I don't think it is an issue, but they must be doing something to have explained the game plan to them both.

Edited by elvis15, 03 February 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#1555 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,802 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

FAIL

FAIL

Care to explain? Do you not think Kuzma was being sarcastic/suggestive/hopeful? Did you find the Willes tweet?

Edited by elvis15, 03 February 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#1556 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1748

You mean MaJo?
Posted Image

#1557 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

You mean MaJo?

No I mean MoJo. That's what he's known as. I didn't name him that so don't ask me why.

#1558 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

No I mean MoJo. That's what he's known as. I didn't name him that so don't ask me why.

Marcus Johansson Washington Capitals 22 year old centre.

24th overall 2009 draft born in Sweden.

#1559 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Marcus Johansson Washington Capitals 22 year old centre.

24th overall 2009 draft born in Sweden.

??

#1560 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,674 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Because they're Maple Leafs, and most Canuck fans' inferiority complex won't allow them to admit that anyone on the Maple Leafs are any good.

Thank you King. This one made me laugh so hard it made my day. I love when you and Smashian agree. It usually involves pumping Leafs tires, but it's very entertaining regardless. And if there's anything that cues our Canucks inferiority complex, it is trying to measure up to the Leafs.

[/center]

These Philly rumours need to simmer down unless and until they move Bryzgalov. If that happens, yes, that's a pretty strong signal.

But why Couturier? We don't really need a C. Schroeder looks like he has a future in the NHL as a 2C. Couturier being a 3C would be a waste of his potential. I'd rather target a guy like Simmonds, though I don't think they'd be interested in moving him.

Why would they move Bryz lol? I guess this is another convergence for you and Smashian.
But your question "why Couturier"? is very intriguing. Schroeder in your opinion is now a future 2C? Wow - that's quite a shift King, from your warning signs that Schroeder and Kassian were fast tracking to bustville. Has the tide turned back? What made you change your mind about Schroeder? Is it his assist? Say hypothetically, the Canucks acquired Couturier and didn't send Schroeder to Philly in the deal - you see Schroeder as the 2C and Couturier as 3?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.