3019 replies to this topic

#1651 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

That's interesting King - but I smell a King paraphrase here - do you have a reference for this 'apology'?
In any event, I don't see Washington as a contender like some people here. I actually see being a lot like the Leafs - too many of their 'best' players are significantly underachieving - probably over-rated - if I were them I probably wouldn't be looking to add one or two players, I'd be looking to move players instead.

Anyway, regarding Vancouver's goaltending situation, keep dreaming, but Schneider is going nowhere.

Vancouver isn’t trading Cory Schneider, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Last week, Gillis said he hasn’t “been thinking about, thought of, or considered” trading Schneider.

They've referred to Gillis' apology on the Team earlier today, and Pierre McGuire just talked about it again. He called up McPhee to apologize for the hype that was created, because he knows that McPhee is presently in a tough enough spot already. Classy move, actually.

"Keep dreaming" - I don't care who gets traded. Damage has already been done, IMO. Should've been taken care of earlier. I still have the odds on Lu being moved v. Schneider @ 60/40.

#1652 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

The reality is that Bryz is a pretty good goalie - and they have him. Luongo's better, yes, but by so much that it would justify giving up franchise cornerstones like Couturier? I think not. It would be a real panic move for Philly to do this. Can't see it happening. If Bryz is traded somewhere else, OK, game on. But unless/until that happens, not a buyer, IMO.

Seriously, does being concerned with a lack of production make me a "hater"? I don't understand this. Jordan Schroeder was not exactly lighting up the AHL. To any reasonable and objective fan, that is worthy of mentioning. I don't know how or why you think this makes me "hate" him, because I'm just looking at the cold, hard numbers that are in front of me. 9 goals and 19 points in 30 games in the AHL after already playing 2 full seasons down there is not exactly encouraging, is it? Especially when you're 5'3" and you're really expected to generate goals.

No KIng it doesn't make you a "hater" - and before you get too carried away, I never used that word, or anything close - nor have I ever called you a "troll" - or even complained about a single post you have made on these boards. I think you have me mistaken with another poster here? I've actually taken issue with people who call you a troll - I am about the last person here who can't handle the fact that you don't agree with the majority of yes-people, nor do I think you should be censored because you for the most part, express your contrary opinion in a relatively respectful, reasonable way. I simply disagree with you and state as much. I asked you what changed your opinion of Schroeder (his game) - a fair question.

Edited by oldnews, 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#1653 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

while I do think MG is keeping the team in the loop, I am a little concerned about how this is starting to look to the rest of the league........especially UFA's he might want to take a run at in the summer. On the surface, it's looks like MG is not handling this well, or treating his goalies very well.

That said, I also think this is a bit of trend with owners and GM's flexing their muscles after the lockout........they have most of the power and it seems like more and more are using it with players.

I am not particularly worried about the optics of how this looks to fans or players. Just as Dave Nonis was credited with Lou coming to Van, Gillis's tenure might be judged onwhat he gets back for Lou going. I think the goalie situation is being handled the way it has to. The hot hand plays but I will caveat that by saying that Lou's timing has been great. CS took some hits with a club that wasn't up to speed and Lou got a shot that put him in for a stretch. Both these goalies are capable and CS will get back in. Meanwhile with each win Lou confirms his status and probably increases his own options on where he ends up (NTC). Good for him. IMHO Lou has to be dealt (next week) simply because Van's top 6 is not CUP quality. Also IMO Lou has not done anything that changes my assessment and the reasons for moving him. Gillis has the opportunity to move an asset that gives Van a shot at a CUP and also potentially gain younger assets that transition the Canucks past the eventual loss of the Twins, Bieksa, and Burrows. If feelings get hurt in the process it is unfortunate but the team comes first.

I don't understand what you mean by GM's flexing their muscles and using their power? Their role is what it always has been, give the coaches the best players available to win a CUP. At the end of the day GM's and coaches are all judged by how successfull they are achieving CUP wins.

#1654 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

They've referred to Gillis' apology on the Team earlier today, and Pierre McGuire just talked about it again. He called up McPhee to apologize for the hype that was created, because he knows that McPhee is presently in a tough enough spot already. Classy move, actually.

"Keep dreaming" - I don't care who gets traded. Damage has already been done, IMO. Should've been taken care of earlier. I still have the odds on Lu being moved v. Schneider @ 60/40.

Interesting - had not heard that - and yes, I agree it's a classy move to apologize for merely attending a game. The media naturally took it and ran with speculation, but for all anyone knows, the Canucks may be interested in Holtby or Neuvirth as a backup. I agree with you that McPhee is in a tight spot - and he already has a few massive long term contracts to contend with - I've never seen Washington as the most likely destination, but you never know.

#1655 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I simply disagree with you and state as much. I asked you what changed your opinion of Schroeder (his game) - a fair question.

Fair, yes, but I just don't feel as if my opinion has changed. I liked the pick when it happened. His size doesn't concern me at all.

#1656 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

The media naturally took it and ran with speculation, but for all anyone knows, the Canucks may be interested in Holtby or Neuvirth as a backup.

I certainly hope not.

If Schneider's the guy, we need to coddle him like we coddled Luongo back when he was acquired. A guy like Holtby, Neuvirth, or even Reimer can get a start, get a shutout, and then the "hmmm, this guy needs more games!" crowd enters the foray. With Lu, we had Raycroft, LaBarbera, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting. Clear backups. That's what Schneider should get.

#1657 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,569 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Gillis did call McPhee after his appearance in Washington to talk about the stir it caused:

Craig Custance@CraigCustance
Mike Gillis reached out to George McPhee today, said wasn't his intention to create Luongo distraction in DC. McPhee appreciated the call.
McPhee on call today from Gillis: "That's a first-class thing to do."

Seems pretty reasonable of Gillis to do that, should quell a lot of the rumours (and probably a lot of the expectations that a deal is going to be soon because of it).

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1658 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I certainly hope not.

If Schneider's the guy, we need to coddle him like we coddled Luongo back when he was acquired. A guy like Holtby, Neuvirth, or even Reimer can get a start, get a shutout, and then the "hmmm, this guy needs more games!" crowd enters the foray. With Lu, we had Raycroft, LaBarbera, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting. Clear backups. That's what Schneider should get.

I don't know. I think Schneider could handle a quality sidekick, and I don't mind the idea of a young ELC goaltender who can play, and may even grow to push for a starting job, or even need to be eventually moved as Luongo is now - for a decent return. A 'clear' backup doesn't have that upside or potential growth in value, and may not be as viable should (knock on wood) our starter sustain an injury. I think the reality is that Holtby, Neuvirth and Reimer aren't quite ready to be starters anyhow, or their teams wouldn't be looking elsewhere... I just don't think having a quality sidekick is as much of a threatening distraction to Schneider as you see it.

#1659 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Haha - Gillis is crafty - he managed to open the phone lines with McPhee nevertheless... :bigblush:

#1660 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

That's interesting King - but I smell a King paraphrase here - do you have a reference for this 'apology'?

tsn.ca
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#1661 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

I think the reality is that Holtby, Neuvirth and Reimer aren't quite ready to be starters anyhow, or their teams wouldn't be looking elsewhere... I just don't think having a quality sidekick is as much of a threatening distraction to Schneider as you see it.

They may not quite be ready, but you better believe that they're hungry. And if they're not getting starts, they'll be upset. I don't like that dynamic. I'd rather have the horse like Luongo/Schneider playing the vast, vast majority of games, with a clear backup filling in and just not being a liability. Dan Ellis expressed desire to come here, which would've been great. Count him as another cost of inaction.

#1662 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

You guys get this all sorted out yet?

See a lot of new pages had to jump with a comment

Looks promising
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#1663 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

You guys get this all sorted out yet?

See a lot of new pages had to jump with a comment

Looks promising

sorry to disappoint Noheart. not sure we're any closer to a deal (or being 'reasonable' haha)

#1664 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

They may not quite be ready, but you better believe that they're hungry. And if they're not getting starts, they'll be upset. I don't like that dynamic. I'd rather have the horse like Luongo/Schneider playing the vast, vast majority of games, with a clear backup filling in and just not being a liability. Dan Ellis expressed desire to come here, which would've been great. Count him as another cost of inaction.

Ellis has played 4 games and is playing very well - he might have caused controversy too :bigblush:

#1665 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Gillis did call McPhee after his appearance in Washington to talk about the stir it caused:

Seems pretty reasonable of Gillis to do that, should quell a lot of the rumours (and probably a lot of the expectations that a deal is going to be soon because of it).

This reminds me

Stop making little comments on everything you quote in the news thread.

I bet you're all, look at this sweet loophole!

If I post a tweet I'll comment on it like Mark Spector does in his website.

I don't care what you think of the tweet, post the tweet and get the hell out.

Invalid opinions belong in here.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#1666 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

This reminds me

Just wondering - are you saying ours are the opinions of invalids, or invalid opinions? :bigblush:

#1667 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

The vacuum of information spawns empty postings, that is all. They just need more training so they can eventually get paid to do it. Newspapers turn vacuous subjects into quite interesting reads sometimes - it's called journalism.

There isn't much that changes in the world day to day, but sure a frack of a lot is written about it

Edited by canucksnihilist, 04 February 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#1668 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,569 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

This reminds me

:blink: :picard:

Says the poster who felt it necessary to put this in the news thread, complete with added lines for emphasis:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Trades and signings are now legally permitted in the NHL.

@strombone1: @TSNBobMcKenzie ��

@strombone1: Guys I've just been dealt...........

POCKET ACES! #latenightpoker

Or this one:

@strombone1: Can't wait!!! "@NHL: #Canucks fans, are you ready to see Cory Schneider as No. 1 in net? #hockeyisback"

Clearly extremely relevant Luongo news.

So what did you think about Kuzma's post (or did you find Willes' post? I still haven't)? Was it a suggestion or a factual report that Gillis was actually planning to be there? I'd guess the poster I'd quoted thought it was real and it probably doesn't qualify as news as a result, but I didn't want people to get the wrong impression about it as i certainly read it another way as I mentioned to clarify.

Do you have an opinion on the discussion we've been having about Luongo for the last few pages while you've been away?

Edited by elvis15, 04 February 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#1669 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

This reminds me

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1670 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Do you know what would be awesome? A CDC boxing match! Rent out Rogers arena one night in the off season and challenge other CDCers to a boxing match. Everyone can cheer on their favorite poster. And afterwards we can hold a candle light vigil for Cody Hodgson.

#1671 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,569 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Do you know what would be awesome? A CDC boxing match! Rent out Rogers arena one night in the off season and challenge other CDCers to a boxing match. Everyone can cheer on their favorite poster. And afterwards we can hold a candle light vigil for Cody Hodgson.

Haha! But that's a bit of an event for some people, some rugby teams put on an organized fight night each year for fun. Perhaps it'll get to the point Luongo and Schneider have to duke it out?

Posted Image

EDIT: or maybe not - from Kuzma:

benkuzma
Schneider on the #Canucks' crease conundrum: "It would be extremely selfish to put our needs ahead of our teammates and make it harder on them than it alread is. Nothing changes between us an how we interact and play our games."

Schneids not getting too caught up in it from the sounds of things.

Edited by elvis15, 04 February 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#1672 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

I can confirm King's quote of George McFee. It was fairly easy to google the article. He did say that he couldn't take on Luongo's contract.

At first glance, one might say that he's just playing it close to the vest, but from what I read, he was pretty vehement. It would have been easy to say that he hasn't had any discussions with Gillis regarding his goaltender and leave it at that.

On the flip side, it begs the question: What were Gillis and Gilman doing at that game?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1673 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

This Week In Goalie Controversies

Vancouver Canucks: Cory Schneider vs. Roberto Luongo

In this corner: Schneider was handed the starter’s job last season after the Canucks got tired of Roberto Luongo’s playoff inconsistency. Once Luongo was traded, Schneider was expected to have the job all to himself. Instead, he’s been splitting time with …
And in this corner: Roberto Luongo, who despite all expectations, is still on the team.
The battle so far: Schneider was awful in a season-opening loss to the Ducks, but has played well since. But it’s been Luongo who’s taken over recently, starting three straight games last week and sporting a 1.46 GAA and .944 save percentage. He looks like his old self.
And the winner is: This keeps getting called a “goaltending controversy,” but that seems like the wrong term. You could call it that if either guy was complaining about splitting time, but both are being frustratingly professional. That leaves the Canucks as a good team that has two good goaltenders, which isn’t really all that controversial. In fact, let’s take this in a different direction …

Twitter: Roberto Luongo vs. Paul Bissonnette

In this corner: Roberto “@strombone1” Luongo.
And in this corner: Paul “@BizNasty2point0” Bissonnette, who is technically not a goalie but let’s just go with this.
The battle so far: Which player will emerge as the NHL’s consensus best follow, earning the right to automatically get a brief mention in every lazy “pro athletes on Twitter” article?
And the winner is: It’s not even close. We all agree it’s Luongo by a mile at this point, right? OK, just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page on this one. Back to the goalies.

#1674 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Or B Burke and (was it) MacTavish? No, it was Kevin Lowe...

I'd rather see Old News and King of ES personally... Cant wait to see the advanced stats and perception of diminished value (or is that capacity) before that one? :rolleyes:

My money's on King; if only cuz his name is better suited to fight nights!

Wonder if Gollumpus would be a sleeper with a big whump???

Back on topic; Does Eric Fehr, former 1st rounder, 212lb good ol Canadian kid from Winkler have any secondary interest for us in a transaction?

Haha! But that's a bit of an event for some people, some rugby teams put on an organized fight night each year for fun. Perhaps it'll get to the point Luongo and Schneider have to duke it out?

Posted Image

EDIT: or maybe not - from Kuzma:

Schneids not getting too caught up in it from the sounds of things.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 04 February 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#1675 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Just so long as there's a 50+ division...

I predict me and Tearloch in the final. 'Coaster, Heretic and Smither's Joe are going down!
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1676 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

I am not particularly worried about the optics of how this looks to fans or players. Just as Dave Nonis was credited with Lou coming to Van, Gillis's tenure might be judged onwhat he gets back for Lou going. I think the goalie situation is being handled the way it has to. The hot hand plays but I will caveat that by saying that Lou's timing has been great. CS took some hits with a club that wasn't up to speed and Lou got a shot that put him in for a stretch. Both these goalies are capable and CS will get back in. Meanwhile with each win Lou confirms his status and probably increases his own options on where he ends up (NTC). Good for him. IMHO Lou has to be dealt (next week) simply because Van's top 6 is not CUP quality. Also IMO Lou has not done anything that changes my assessment and the reasons for moving him. Gillis has the opportunity to move an asset that gives Van a shot at a CUP and also potentially gain younger assets that transition the Canucks past the eventual loss of the Twins, Bieksa, and Burrows. If feelings get hurt in the process it is unfortunate but the team comes first.

I don't understand what you mean by GM's flexing their muscles and using their power? Their role is what it always has been, give the coaches the best players available to win a CUP. At the end of the day GM's and coaches are all judged by how successfull they are achieving CUP wins.

GM's and owners.........Bergevin and Pk, Col and O'Reilly, Lu/Schneids and MG (not as much obviously)...........the GM's and owners are letting players know it's their game and they have the lion's share of the power.......imo anyway

#1677 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

I can confirm King's quote of George McFee. It was fairly easy to google the article. He did say that he couldn't take on Luongo's contract.

At first glance, one might say that he's just playing it close to the vest, but from what I read, he was pretty vehement. It would have been easy to say that he hasn't had any discussions with Gillis regarding his goaltender and leave it at that.

On the flip side, it begs the question: What were Gillis and Gilman doing at that game?

exactly.........I also have to believe that it's do or die for McPhee this season. He's made players the fall guy, coaches the fall guy......his head is on the block this season. I have to think he's kicking a lot of tires regarding goalies. Maybe it's Leonis who's saying no to Lu?

#1678 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,703 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

How about secondary transactions; Green who might be redundant with John Carlson about the joint?

Can't see a fit because of salary, but Backstrom is a dandy talent who is struggling more than Ovi... If they want out of one of their big contracts and to make room for MoJo? But they don't need what salary we need to shed...

Do they?

#1679 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Go to the tsn site and watch canucks oilers ice chips. Man its getting harder to trade Luongo each day haha the most calm and cool Lu I've ever seen. The way he's handling the media and this whole situation has got to be boosting his value on character points alone. I still think he will be the one gone in the end and he will be missed for sure. Cory is going to be a rockstar though, and our goaltending wont skip a beat.

Kinda reminds me of when you got 2 girls on the go and the one is super cool but out of nowhere has these crazy meltdowns and the other is really hot but you dont know much about her... Do you drop the new hot one because you think the other girl has figured her s**t out? or do you say ive seen enough of this crazy woman and see what the young'ns got?

#1680 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

:blink: :picard:

Says the poster who felt it necessary to put this in the news thread, complete with added lines for emphasis:

Or this one:

Clearly extremely relevant Luongo news.

So what did you think about Kuzma's post (or did you find Willes' post? I still haven't)? Was it a suggestion or a factual report that Gillis was actually planning to be there? I'd guess the poster I'd quoted thought it was real and it probably doesn't qualify as news as a result, but I didn't want people to get the wrong impression about it as i certainly read it another way as I mentioned to clarify.

Do you have an opinion on the discussion we've been having about Luongo for the last few pages while you've been away?

More relevant than your lame footnotes

I don't even care if he gets traded anymore

Edited by Noheart, 04 February 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.