The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

1. I'm right about Wang & I doubt he puts the team on the block, but if he does then MAYBE there's an opportunity, but that isn't the case at the moment.

2. There's a difference between cap hit & salary. Luongo would add about 4 million over Nabby and on a lot longer term..

3. Using those other teams is a straw man fallacy.. We're talking about the Islanders.

That's an extremely irrelevant stat. Take most goalies stats when their team is playing their last games. Most likely it means they are getting eliminated from the playoffs. How can a team get eliminated from the playoffs and have a goalie with stellar stats o.o

When a team gets eliminated it's obviously going to reflect on the goalies statistics

I think the serious offers start coming in between games 10 to 15. Lui is playing what game #8 tonight. I suspect a little bit of show casing going on by MG. The issue has never been Lui's regular season play. Those arguing for the status quo are ignoring the reality that Van does not have a serious CUP contending forward lineup. Gillis has to deal Lui to get it or write off the short season.

Making the right deal for Lui has the potential of keeping Van a competitive org for years to come. I suspect that Gillis has had frank talks with both Lui and Schneider. No way that Schneider is that naive that he did not discuss his future with the Canucks in a frank manner. Anyone suggesting that Gillis would blindside Schneider have a very short term view. Schneider is the goal tending future of the Canucks and a SO of the Av's doesn't change that.

A Top 6, a Prospect and a Pic = ca ching for the Canucks.

Making the right deal for Lui has the potential of keeping Van a competitive org for years to come. I suspect that Gillis has had frank talks with both Lui and Schneider. No way that Schneider is that naive that he did not discuss his future with the Canucks in a frank manner. Anyone suggesting that Gillis would blindside Schneider have a very short term view. Schneider is the goal tending future of the Canucks and a SO of the Av's doesn't change that.

A Top 6, a Prospect and a Pic = ca ching for the Canucks.

That's an extremely irrelevant stat. Take most goalies stats when their team is playing their last games. Most likely it means they are getting eliminated from the playoffs. How can a team get eliminated from the playoffs and have a goalie with stellar stats o.o

When a team gets eliminated it's obviously going to reflect on the goalies statistics

I'm sure those words sounded good when you typed them, but they are not based on reality. If they were, how can you explain this?:

Here are the stats of other goaltenders from this past playoffs, for the series in which they were eliminated -

Craig Anderson - 2.00 GAA, .933 Save%

Tim Thomas - 2.14 GAA, .923 Save%

Braden Holtby - 1.90 GAA, .929 Save%

Mike Smith - 2.46 GAA, .936 Save%

Pekka Rinne - 2.32 GAA, .912 Save%

Henrik Lundqvist - 2.18 GAA, .918 Save%

Martin Brodeur - 2.36 GAA, .900 Save%

Cory Schneider - 1.31 GAA, .960 Save%

Antti Niemi - 2.45 GAA, .914 Save%

It is not a normal occurrence for a supposedly excellent starting goaltender to absolutely lay an egg in multiple games. GAA's nearing 3 and save percentages under .900 should be simply not acceptable, even if your team is out-matched.

For an example of a sub-par performance in a losing series, we have Ilya Bryzgalov with a 3.02 GAA and .902 save% in last year's series against the Devils. That is still significantly better than how Luongo finished in the four years prior, but still, obviously the Flyers are not happy with it. After just one year of that, people are even speculating that they'd consider buying him out! Imagine if he had even worse statistics, for 4 years straight?!?

So your reasoning is flat-out wrong. Luongo's stats to finish each year are extremely relevant.

I personally would have gone with Schneider against Chicago for a number of reasons.  I'm not going to take a position that starting Luo is a mistake or a betrayal of Schneider - I don't have anywhere near as much information as AV and Gillis, and riding Luo when he's on his game makes sense to the goal of making the playoffs and in trade optics - but I think I'd have taken my chances with Schneider, who I agree is the future starter, and let Luongo's last shutout percolate in the minds of buyers.

Couple of thoughts...

Lou deserves the start tonight....

Cody was showcased before he was traded, making sure he looked as good as possible.

I think the team will rally in front of Lou, which is win/win for the Canucks

MG said exactly what I implied a few pages ago, trades happen when they suit our goal & only then

Most on these pages couldn't manage a Peewee team, yet know exactly how to deal with the Canucks

&

KofBS

How’s your Flames prediction working out, you know where the Nucks were out of the playoffs and the Flames were vastly improved?

Okay, so the $550k difference between Matt Greene's $2.95m and Willie Mitchell's $3.5m is solid outlet passes. I agree. Now imagine if Willie could score 8-12g a year via a 100-mph slapshot. Should he not be worth an extra $1m for the ability to be one of only 20 defensemen who hit double digits in goals?

Gillis lost Salo because he wanted to give Schultz that spot. By that time Salo probably felt slighted and didn't want the one year deal Gillis offered but you stating that you hate Garrison without watching him closely for more than 10 games speaks volumes. Sometimes you have to keep an open mind and let things play out.

If Garrison goes on to score 8-10g a season and solid defence in 20mins/game icetime over the next few 4-5 seasons, will you admit you were wrong? Or will you be adamant that he was still a bad signing?

I still disagree with you. The initial reason I disagreed with was because you are saying those stats are solely based on Luongo and not the fact the defense and the team collectively play like $##& in front of him and screen him, deflect simple shots with their stick ...cough cough hamhuis n bieksa:.. or flat out give up odd man rushes... break aways etc...

I don't base my judgment of players on stats. I watch the games... Luongo wasn't great in the playoffs when he first got here. Since 2010 I can't place any blame on him for our defensive and offensive shortcomins

Okay, so the $550k difference between Matt Greene's $2.95m and Willie Mitchell's $3.5m is solid outlet passes. I agree. Now imagine if Willie could score 8-12g a year via a 100-mph slapshot. Should he not be worth an extra $1m for the ability to be one of only 20 defensemen who hit double digits in goals?

tumblr_lvv4jvx4xj1qemoij.png

What is this, opposite-land?

The first 3 playoff series Luongo played for us were freakin' fantastic. They were the 3 of the best series a Vancouver Canucks goaltender has ever had statistically...

...BTW - the best goaltending stats in a series the Vancouver Canucks have ever had was in 2011-12, from Cory Schneider.

Archived