The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I might be the only one but i think this is good what is going on with our goalies. This puts Schneider to the test. How does he handle the pressure of having his job slightly taken over? He looks great technically, we know that, but i feel that this puts him to the test mentally. I dont think he's sitting around pouting like king says, its pretty obvious he's being a team player and will continue to do so. Every player has little ups and downs in his career. Schneids is still playing good but i guess you could consider this as a mini down and it will be good to see how he handles it.

im not worried about it at all, i think he's going to be one of the best goalies in the league for a long time. Im just pointing out that this will help build character and a mentally tough and focused goalie.

The controversy is BS. Remember these guys play for the vancouver canucks, not the other way around. If by some chance King is right and schneider turns into a whiner after a half of a halfseason, then i really dont want him here.

I think Schneider was mad by the reporters asking. Not by the fact that Lu is starting.

The reporters are obviously something he will have to get comfortable with but man I was on his side on that one, those damn reports probably asked the same damn question 3 times just with a different spin every time It's so annoying when they do that. Hearing the exact same comments on the exact same situation everyday is getting boring.

He played three games ... how do u judge based on three games... I'm sure Roberto has had better three game stretches

Stop referring to stats alone. I can say I've watched every playoff game Roberto has played at least one time. He isn't the problem.

That series against the Blues in 2008-09 was the last time Luongo played a stretch of 3 playoff games with stats as good as what Cory just put up.

Shortly thereafter, he played his first series against the Blackhawks. The rest is history.

By the way, I have watched the games too. Anybody who doesn't have a problem with Luongo's play in any of the games in the Blackhawk series, or any of the games in the Bruins series, is...well... ...in need of shock therapy?

I think Schneider was mad by the reporters asking. Not by the fact that Lu is starting.

The reporters are obviously something he will have to get comfortable with but man I was on his side on that one, those damn reports probably asked the same damn question 3 times just with a different spin every time It's so annoying when they do that. Hearing the exact same comments on the exact same situation everyday is getting boring.

Yeah, how crazy it is for me to think that Calgary might have what it takes to do well in a shortened season. After all, they missed the playoffs by a whole 5 points last year, 3 in 2011. They made some decent additions in the off-season, they have some exciting young talent, and they've added a new coach.

Nobody thought we were going anywhere when AV arrived in '06, and we went on to win the division. The guy who really hasn't been good for Calgary thus far is Kiprusoff. If he can regain form, they are finally showing an ability to score goals, so I wouldn't write them off quite yet.

Is it really so hard for you to admit that Cory Schneider is not happy?

You think he's mad at the reporters? :lol: They're just doing their job, which CS is smart enough to know. CS is pissed off because of the circus that is going on around him. This isn't what he signed up for when he decided to throw this organization a bone by signing before he was eligible to receive RFA offers, which really was not in his best interests.

Contrary to your belief/wish, nobody is happy with a rotate-the-goalie setup. Schneider turns 27 years old in a month. He signed here because he was told that the team was his. Luongo has said that he did not expect to be back in August. CS is pissed off for good reason. Mike Gillis has not adequately dealt with this situation, and it has turned into a sideshow and a debacle (who predicted that, BTW?).

Nice start to his era in this city, isn't it?

You make some decent points later, but I didn't want to quote the whole post just for this.

As Smashian points out, until the Isles have dealt with DiPietro a trade to get Luongo is highly unlikely since they won't carry both. We aren't even sure if Luongo would be interested in going back there.

Obviously, they can't keep losing and expect to keep both their fans and their young stars around. At some point they have to address goaltending if it's the only thing holding them back. Right now, it isn't - and Nabby being older could fade as the season wears on as oldnews points out as well - so I don't see them interested unless it becomes a trade deadline deal and they've decided they will remove DiPietro from the equation in the offseason.

I see the Devils have come back up again. They might be interested in the offseason, but I doubt they do so for this year unless something happens that changes their outlook. A deal for a top young goalie certainly gives them pause though.

In any event both teams are probably looking for up and coming goalies rather than someone who is already established but only has so many years left. Luongo would provide an excellent window for at least a few more years (and maybe even more) but unless that team is ready to make a serious push in the next few years I don't think Luongo is the target.

For Washington, that push is to compete against Pittsburgh, Boston New York (Rangers), etc. but they have options they hope can do the job. For the Leafs and Panthers that means playoffs and building from there where they aren't sure of their goalies currently. For the Islanders, they worry about next year, well, next year. The Devils do too since the still have Brodeur for now.

I know Schneider isn't happy, isn't obvious I'm not disputing that. Unlike you I can admit these things.

But he is 27, he's not 5. He can handle this. Would you be annoyed having to answer the exact same question 3 times in a row? I know I would.

No one is happy with the way the media is handling this, but the only time this is a circus is when the doors open for the media to walk in. That's it. They are both friends and understand the situation, they aren't complaining about it and are taking it all in stride as it is what's best for the organization in which they are contracted too and love. That's why management has confidence that it isn't as big of a situation media makes it to be.

It really all comes down to the media. They can handle the situation just fine, the media just tries to make it more than it is.

Archived