The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

You're blaming the media for a Mike Gillis creation. Mike Gillis chose to not trade Schneider, ever, and he's now also chosen to not trade Luongo. All that the media is doing is their job, which is reporting on stories - and this is a story, like it or not. People want to know what's going on, which is the very business that the media are in.

So, come on, it's time to place blame where its deserved, and that is squarely on the shoulders of Mike Gillis. I don't know why anybody is surprised that this has turned into the distraction that it has.

Soon enough, we'll be seeing "Team Lu" and "Team Cory" shirts being sold in Vancouver. It's Conan v. Leno, Sanchez v. Tebow, etc. This is what has happened.

You're blaming the media for a Mike Gillis creation. Mike Gillis chose to not trade Schneider, ever, and he's now also chosen to not trade Luongo. All that the media is doing is their job, which is reporting on stories - and this is a story, like it or not. People want to know what's going on, which is the very business that the media are in.

So, come on, it's time to place blame where its deserved, and that is squarely on the shoulders of Mike Gillis. I don't know why anybody is surprised that this has turned into the distraction that it has.

Soon enough, we'll be seeing "Team Lu" and "Team Cory" shirts being sold in Vancouver. It's Conan v. Leno, Sanchez v. Tebow, etc. This is what has happened.

What did Mike Gillis create, The only place this time this is a major issue is when the doors open for the media to come in. This isn't a major issue between the 2, yeah things could be better, could be better for any player in any circumstance but there isn't a major issue between the two, this isn't a story to them, it's business they show up, work hard, and help the team win, they aren't focused on it.

nothing has happened yet and you have bought into the media goalie controversy Gillis said numerous times that he would keep both goalies until the off-season there is no reason to trade 2 number 1 goalies unless it will help the team this season so nice try there is no controversy just the one created by the media

MG let this situation fester, for years, and here we are now. Please, stop blaming the media. This should not be a surprise anybody. They're doing their job, nothing more. If you haven't noticed, this is a big ordeal across the country.

And when you say that there isn't a major issue between the two, are you talking about Lu & Schneider? If so, I agree. They really don't have a reason to be mad at eachother. But they do have a reason to be mad at the Vancouver organization, for turning this into what it is by not dealing with this situation. Both guys are in a very awkward spot, Lu wants to move on somewhere else, Schneider was told that the team was his. Nobody is happy.

we all know its best for this to be resolved. Neither goalie is going to want to hear the same question repeated and asked 3 different times worded differently on every game day, post game and interview they do.

i would think it could push schneider to say he wants a trade, then MG would have a problem if all along his plan was to keep cory.

I think regardless of tonights result, the team must start schneider, he needs to get into games, its been almost a week since he started.

As for when or what we get in return, unfortunately we may have to take a lesser package than we want for Luongo, but the sooner this gets resolved the better, because neither goalie wants to be asked daily over the goaie situation, and we need to gain assets back at some point to re stock the prospects or draft picks.

I just hope this gets resolved sooner than later, hate to see either of them have to go but its just a matter of time until a trade happens. And for those to think us keeping both for the whole year is beneficial, i know its a shortened season but if MG thinks schneider is the guy he has to assume schneider cam play 60+ games a year in a full year. So he is going to have to play alot in any schedule. Price, Rinne, Kipper, Lundquist, all play around 70 games a year, im sure schneider could play 35-40 of the 48 game season

Some ppl on here need to stop bashing eachother so much, not one of us knows when or if there will be a trade, where he goes and what the return is. It just needs to be resolved hopefully sooner than later

Fact # 1 = Lu is the best goaltender the Nucks have ever had and ever will have, # 1-A After last playoff's benching he wants a trade, # 1-B He wants to go to either of 2 teams TO or FL.

Fact # 2 = Schneider has been named as the Nucks # 1, # 2-A his performance has been pretty good, # 2-B he will sit out for the third straight game, # 2-C he;s not a happy camper which was quite evident last media scrum.

Gillis created this whole mess + the big elephant in the room is Lu's contract...

Fact # 1 = Lu is the best goaltender the Nucks have ever had and ever will have, # 1-A After last playoff's benching he wants a trade, # 1-B He wants to go to either of 2 teams TO or FL.

Fact # 2 = Schneider has been named as the Nucks # 1, # 2-A his performance has been pretty good, # 2-B he will sit out for the third straight game, # 2-C he;s not a happy camper which was quite evident last media scrum.

Gillis created this whole mess + the big elephant in the room is Lu's contract...

oh it will be ever so closely scrutinized after every shift, or shot saved. If thats schneider in net and whatever the return for luo is.

You can never predict the outcome especially if we do get prospect or 2 that may not contribute right away.

I just see how MG and AV are handling this whole thing, and to me it feels like they arent really giving schneider a very fair shot to grab hold of the net and run with it, give him the confidence to put him back in net if he gets pulled the game before. We all know that shows confidence in your netminder.

Its too bad this has gotten to this point, we could have traded schneider and kept luo for another couple years and groomed lack into the next schneider. then Luo would be older but his salary would be less for a team looking for a higher cap hit.

I just feel bad for both goalies, yes they make a lot of money. But this is a sport and they should be treated with respect, theyve both earned it, and should be told who is the #1 goalie, and serious try to make the best trade possible and move the #1a goalie if thats what you wanna call him

The difference - which is big - is that we would at least know who our #1 goaltender is, and it would not be a topic of debate/discussion every day. Had Lu been traded in the summer, CS would be our guy, and we'd likely have some standard NHL journeyman as our backup.

Yeah and everytime Lu put on a good performance. The topic would be: "Did we trade the right guy"

Everytime whoever we got in return struggled: "We traded Luongo for crap"

Everytime Schneider lets in a bad goal or has a tough game: "We traded the wrong guy"

Once this trade is made it will be Kassian vs Cody 2.0 with the heat turned way up. Mark my words.

Archived