3019 replies to this topic

#1861 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I never said Schneider was playing bad. IMO he will be the better goalie but Lu is playing lights out right now. He is the only reason the Canucks got points against Chicago and Edmonton.

I would say we had a bit of luck against the hawks too, hit the post twice, Hossa hit the side of the net with a wide open net. Hammer or someone deflects the puck through Lus pads but the whistle blows, maybe it didnt completely cross the line but it was darn close..so a lot of Luck for sure. And that game against Oilers we out shot them 40 to 25 so I would not say he was the only reason why we got points in that game either. I do respect how you feel about Lu and I really dont want to argue with you or try to change your views. So I m not gonna continue with this, honestly all i care about is this team and whats best for it to win the cup and whats best for it for the future.

#1862 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

I am 100% convinced he uses CDC as one of his sources.
#CONFIRMED

Perhaps he, King of ES and Canucks 101 all have a secret panel where they swap stories from "#SOURCES"

#CONFIRMED

zackass.png

#1863 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

CBJ
Schneider
Raymond
1st

VAN
Umberger
Murray

This is more appealing to Columbus because they acquire a young goaltender who will comlement and stabilize their team for years to come. Luongo is more appealing to the Cancuks because he's elite and on a mission to prove you personally, how wrong you are and has been signed long-term and complements and stabilizes this team and that, for years to come.

Both teams win big.

Umberger won't leave Columbus, has a NTC and loves the city, hes not gunna leave.

#DECLINED

zackass.png

#1864 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Florida has said no thanks, Toronto has said no thanks, Washington has said why are you on my turf.

Nonis said last night they are still interested.

Florida is interested they just need salary coming back.

And Washington isn't in the running yet but if they continue to struggle they will be in at some point.

zackass.png

#1865 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

The Canucks should not only keep Lu, they should sign him for another 10 years.

Right now if Schneider played for TO, he'd be third on the team in GAA and SP, behind Reimer and Scrivens

#1866 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Nonis said last night they are still interested.

Florida is interested they just need salary coming back.

And Washington isn't in the running yet but if they continue to struggle they will be in at some point.

Then lets agree to take Upshall back with some other pieces and get this deal done already.

To Vancouver: Stephen Weiss, Scottie Upshall, Vincent Trochek, Scott Clemmensen

To Florida: Roberto Luongo

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1867 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

Then lets agree to take Upshall back with some other pieces and get this deal done already.

Change Trocheck to Petrovic and maybe add a conditional 2nd. (Depending on Weiss)

Luongo and Upshall bad contract cancel out.

zackass.png

#1868 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

Taking on Upshall's contract in the new CBA would be idiotic.

#1869 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

We have to, to make a deal with FLA.

Just take him on now and buy him out later. Plus it would add another prospect to the deal rather than just Weiss as a rental.

zackass.png

#1870 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

We have to, to make a deal with FLA.

Just take him on now and buy him out later. Plus it would add another prospect to the deal rather than just Weiss as a rental.

In which case the Canucks would have a 1.167 burden with the salary cap going down.. until 2017.

Or a 3.5 burden until 2015 if they decided to keep him.

Not good cap management.

GMMG referred to this earlier anyway, stating he didn't want a player he'd have to turn around and buy out.

Edit: And no, you don't know if the Canucks have to, in order to make a deal with FLA.

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 06 February 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#1871 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

In which case the Canucks would have a 1.167 burden with the salary cap going down.. until 2017.

Or a 3.5 burden until 2015 if they decided to keep him.

Not good cap management.

GMMG referred to this earlier anyway, stating he didn't want a player he'd have to turn around and buy out.

Edit: And no, you don't know if the Canucks have to, in order to make a deal with FLA.

Yeah actually I do, they can't afford to re-sign Weiss, how on earth could they take on Luongo's massive deal if that's the case?

I guess we can scratch Florida off the list then.

zackass.png

#1872 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Change Trocheck to Petrovic and maybe add a conditional 2nd. (Depending on Weiss)

Luongo and Upshall bad contract cancel out.

That seems fair. After the World Juniors I figured Trochek would be a good prospect to get in the Luongo trade. Ah well, I'd like Petrovic too.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#1873 N4ZZY

N4ZZY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Vancouver would have to take salary back from Florida, if any deal is going to be made.

#1874 N4ZZY

N4ZZY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

The Canucks should not only keep Lu, they should sign him for another 10 years.

Right now if Schneider played for TO, he'd be third on the team in GAA and SP, behind Reimer and Scrivens

Well, his GAA would drop, and SP would rise if he's given the chance to play.

I think Lu's having as good a year, because there's no pressure on him. More pressure on Schneider now, because he was designated as the No. 1 goalie. Schneids needs to start the game in Minny. Either way, I don't see Lu playing a good game against Minnesota. It's one team that's had his number for a number of years now. If he plays poorly, and the team loses, it'll be Schneider's turn, and I think for one, that he'll run with the opportunity.

#1875 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

Lu and Raymond for Dub and their 1st. sign Antoine Laganière we are set down the middle, on D and, in net. Also that pick and Laganiere should replenish our prospect pool.

And then we're left with another potential goalie controversy, in Schneider v. Dubnyk. Great idea.

#1876 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

And then we're left with another potential goalie controversy, in Schneider v. Dubnyk. Great idea.

Dub the forward from jackets

#1877 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Well, his GAA would drop, and SP would rise if he's given the chance to play.

I think Lu's having as good a year, because there's no pressure on him. More pressure on Schneider now, because he was designated as the No. 1 goalie. Schneids needs to start the game in Minny. Either way, I don't see Lu playing a good game against Minnesota. It's one team that's had his number for a number of years now. If he plays poorly, and the team loses, it'll be Schneider's turn, and I think for one, that he'll run with the opportunity.

He better...

If Luongo plays Minny and wins, continue with Luongo.
If Luongo plays Minny and loses, go with Schneider.
If Schneider plays Minny and wins, continue with Schneider.
If Schneider plays Minny and loses, go with Luongo.

#1878 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Yeah actually I do, they can't afford to re-sign Weiss, how on earth could they take on Luongo's massive deal if that's the case?

I guess we can scratch Florida off the list then.

Remember when GMMG said there was a potential deal in place but that he didn't want to have to turn around and buy out a player?

I don't know if that was the order, but he's said both of those things.

Maybe it's contingent on FLA being able to find a place to dump Upshall.. for example PHX where they have cap space, and he's had success before. Also, with the new 'Burke' rule they don't need to trade ALL of the salary, so for instance:

To PHX: Scottie Upshall, cond. 4th round pick 2013
To FLA: $800,000 per year of the contract

PHX gets a free pick, but takes an overpaid player who may or may not be able to play the 3rd line there and then, all of the sudden FLA can make a move with VAN.

Cap dumps happen (see:Ehrhoff to Van, Lombardi from Toronto)

Anyway, there was a rumour that FLA couldn't afford Weiss, but Tallon has said "why would I move him? i'm trying to sign him". So, who really knows?

#1879 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I would say we had a bit of luck against the hawks too, hit the post twice, Hossa hit the side of the net with a wide open net. Hammer or someone deflects the puck through Lus pads but the whistle blows, maybe it didnt completely cross the line but it was darn close..so a lot of Luck for sure. And that game against Oilers we out shot them 40 to 25 so I would not say he was the only reason why we got points in that game either. I do respect how you feel about Lu and I really dont want to argue with you or try to change your views. So I m not gonna continue with this, honestly all i care about is this team and whats best for it to win the cup and whats best for it for the future.

Other than his slow starts I don't think Lou has ever taken a lot of flack in Van. Most 2nd half seasons he was in the top 3 NHL goalies. Comparing the two goalies I simply like Schneider's style more than Lou's. Over the long run his game should stand up better than Lou's. I could be 100% wrong as well.

My over riding thought with a Lou trade is what Van get's back. MG has repeatedly said a top 6, a prospect and a pic. It is a hard deal to put together as different teams don't always rank their players with the same value to their different orgs. As much as I want value in a Lou deal the term of his contract is a negative. If Gillis waits until Kesler and Booth are back and then re-evaluates his team the Canucks could be pushing the trade deadline. It could very well happen.

The beauty of sport is that there will always be winners and losers. The losers will always try to become winners. That is where Lou will come in!

#1880 Truckin

Truckin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Isnt it Scottie Upshall that cant stand Kesler? Something about beef from the minors,may have the wrong guy.

#1881 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Isnt it Scottie Upshall that cant stand Kesler? Something about beef from the minors,may have the wrong guy.

nope your thinking of umberger
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#1882 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Not to mention Upshall himself.........let's just say he's not good in the locker room and leave it at that.

#1883 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Maybe it's contingent on FLA being able to find a place to dump Upshall.. for example PHX where they have cap space, and he's had success before. Also, with the new 'Burke' rule they don't need to trade ALL of the salary, so for instance:

To PHX: Scottie Upshall, cond. 4th round pick 2013
To FLA: $800,000 per year of the contract

PHX gets a free pick, but takes an overpaid player who may or may not be able to play the 3rd line there and then, all of the sudden FLA can make a move with VAN.

Unless they altered the rule in the new CBA, all trades require a tangible asset going back both ways even if it is just a conditional 7th. Salary could be retained from a player moved but there must be a piece on the other side of the ledger as well.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#1884 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Sometimes the ledger simply has "Future Considerations"?

#1885 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Sometimes the ledger simply has "Future Considerations"?

Yes but it cannot be any agreement to trade a player back - or any agreement or restriction concerning future transactions involving a player in the trade. NHL By-Laws prohibit any form of Loan of a player to another NHL team.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#1886 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Not sure how this deal makes any sense. If you re-sign Weiss, you've just taken on about 10million in cap hit when the team needs to shed cap. If you don't re-sign Weiss, it's not much of a deal. Imo Weiss alone is too much salary and there is nothing less interesting than a rental - I'd be willing to take Uphall if there are a couple young assets involved as well - but would prefer Goc. At least with Upshall you get a solid two way guy who adds a lot when healthy. The Canucks shed nearly 2 million immediately, and are closer to managing next year's cap... not a worst case scenario. Upshall, Petrovic, and a center prospect conditional upon what the Canucks add in...(perhaps Shore straight up without a second Van piece, or...?)

#1887 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Schneider/his agent is maybe as sick as most of the rest of us with MG's constant bull.... How there are so many teams interested and how he needs to wait for the right deal............If you get interest, surely you make things happen.

MG doesn't seem to know how to get something "worthwhile" done. Move him away from his "projects" and "futures" and he seems to struggle.

Part of the reason as I see it is he seems to look on the team as his "family" and finds it hard to part with anyone of worth for fear of screwing up.

This Luongo mess is one he created. In my and most others mind on here Luongo should never even have been on offer. He is the stud on this farm and MG/AV have complicated this goalie situation till it is ridiculous. Trade Schneider and settle the team down, for goodness sake.

We are 5-2-2, riding a 3 game win streak, and our 2nd line still hasn't returned. How is this a problem for the Vancouver Canucks?

#1888 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

We are 5-2-2, riding a 3 game win streak, and our 2nd line still hasn't returned. How is this a problem for the Vancouver Canucks?

Yeah - the Canucks are leading the division, 4th in the Conference without the second line, and Luongo is in top form. What a disaster! Sounds like a best case scenario under the circumstances.

#1889 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Realistically i believe Luongo will end up here until the trade deadline, he's being very well showcased just like Hodgson had been prior to last years deadline. I believe Gillis has put out specific packages to 5-6 teams and will hope that one of those teams meets that price, just like he put out 7 players that he would trade for Hodgson prior to having him traded.

I believe the asking price is a prospect, current impact top 6 forward and a first round pick. its a very steep price and thats why a deal hasn't been done to date. Florida, Toronto, Washington, NYI, and Columbus are the teams in the mix.

This is what I believe each team would need to give up. Not listing the first round pick as its equal to all teams:

Florida - Weiss and Bjugstad
Toronto - JVR and Kadri
Columbus - Dubinsky and Boone
Washington - Laich and Khusnetsov
NYI - Okposo and Strome

Huge price tag for each team. The most likely in my opinion are the Islanders....but only after they decide to buyout Dipietro. This decision can be made by the deadline with official buyout in the summer.

#1890 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Realistically i believe Luongo will end up here until the trade deadline, he's being very well showcased just like Hodgson had been prior to last years deadline.

Something to chew on for you.

If Calgary continues to be out of the playoff running come the trade deadline, they've got that Miikka Kiprusoff guy who's got 1 year left on his deal with a cap hit of $5.3M but a cash outlay of $1.5M. Think teams like Florida, NYI, etc., would be interested in that? Probably a little more than a guy who's signed until 2022, no?

Then there's Detroit, who's not looking like a very strong team. Jimmy Howard is a UFA. He's popular in Detroit, and they might be crafty enough an organization to flip him at the deadline for something, and then go on to re-sign him in July.

Then there's Buffalo, who's got Ryan Miller with one year left on his deal. Same deal in Anaheim with J. Hiller.

Then there are the following UFA's: Backstrom, Khabibulin, and Mike Smith.

Finally, there's John Bernier still hanging around LA, and Ben Bishop/Robin Lehner hanging around Ottawa, who would probably all be a more ideal fit for one of the teams that are in the early stages of a significant rebuild (CBJ, NYI) than a guy like Bobby Lou.

Point? Gillis, by standing pat, is running the risk that some/all of these goaltenders become actively in play around the deadline. And what happens to the price of something if there's a sudden influx of people wanting to sell? Right - it drops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.