The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Well, that's debatable, which I'd hope is what oldnews is saying. He'd be one of our better ones, I agree (ahead of guys like Rodin, Sweatt, Archibald, etc.), but I don't think he'd be the top of my list. He's doing well in any event, so good for him.

To put him in perspective with Luongo, once Toronto dropped Lombardi and Connelly, they pretty much signalled they wouldn't be trading any of the centers on their NHL roster away in a deal. They could move Connelly still, but otherwise they'd be leaving a hole in their lineup, so I think Kadri's out of the picture.

Beyond that, what do you think of the other suggestions, like the discussion Bookie and I were having earlier (see below)?

[in reply to Miller's last post]

Yup, if Mitchell hadn't had the worry over his concussion, we likely would have brought him back. We at least would have offered much closer to what LA did, but as it was we offered less as a trial contract to see how he'd do. There was a rush by all teams to get some players under contract using both term and dollars as incentive prior to the new CBA, and you can bet if we'd missed out on Schultz and Garrison there would be people here just as hard on Gillis - if not harder - even if we did bring back Salo.

It's the same thing with Luongo vs Schneider (which we should get back to), too many people are ready to look at what could have been, counting things as mistakes that aren't, and there will certainly be threads either way that don't approve of what Gillis did before, during and after this is all said and done.

I dont know if detroit is sold on howard, are they willing to resign him to a hefty pay raise and believe in him? Thats debateable, not sure if detroit is a cup contender they took a huge hit loosing rafalski, lidstrom, stuart and even holmstrom. Although they do have some younger players that can been given a chance, they are an aging team. Id take howard back in a Luo trade as he would be a reliable backup who could step in for schneider if he got injured for the remainder of this year.

NYI- Well they have made some horrible mistakes in dealing out long term contracts, but Luongo is proven where Dipietro is so injury prone. I cant see them buying him out, and unless he can show some consistancy of being healthy he is untradeable, and Im sorry i do not know his current health status, my guess is hes injured though.

As for the Devils, I dont see them being interested in Luo until brodeur is gone, and they have had some financial hardtimes lately. They dont have a ton of depth that would probably interest MG in a trade either. Henrique is untouchable, Clarkson is probably gonna get a raise, although I do like him I think the devils would be crazy to trade him.

Philly- I think Bryzgalov can play good in goal for them, they just need to get some chemistry going and play better defense, sounds like a team i know.... they have alot of young forwards that would be great to dream about or possible have on our team though.

Washington- I think they are on the edge of being interested in Luongo. They have younger goalies who have shown flashes they can be good. But they havent posted solid season after season stats like Luo, and with Ovie and others not getting any younger they could have some interest in him, but not sure how much they would be willing to offer up in a trade for him.

Florida- I think MG is gonna try and trade Luo back home where he wants to be, but Tallon isnt going to overpay. they also have Markstrom, but I was surprised this summer when they re-signed clemmenson, as I would think a tandem of theodore and markstrom this year would give them a look to see if he was ready to be close to an everyday goalie in the nhl. Florida has numerous players i would have interest in, not the big names like Bjugstad, Gudbranson, huberdeau. I like: Petrovic, Shore, mid to higher level prospects. I just dont see Tallon over paying for Luongo unless he and the owners feel like Markstrom isnt capable of being #1 for atleast 3-4 years or his knees worry them about his durability, A lesser extent of Dipietro, but another knee injury and he could be in the same situation as Dipietro.

I just want to see Luo go to a team where he can be a #1 and we try to get the best return as possible. We arent going to get a top 6 forward, top end prospect with potential to be top 4 dman or top 6 forward and a 1st round pick, Well I dont see that happening anyway.

Id like to see Schneider get his shot to be #1 sooner than later, as his patience may run out if Luo sticks around and plays quite a bit, they are both professionals, but they both would like to be the go to guy. Not involved in a every day press being asked are you ok with being on the bench, etc

Detroit: would they give up assets to trade for Luongo or re-sign Howard at around $4M, even if they aren't convinced? I don't think he'd get to the $5M mark, but I'd have to think Detroit would be happier with that route than to send away what we'd want in return, and Howard isn't one of the pieces we'd want back.

We agree on NYI and NJD.

Philly: they aren't shy about big moves, but it would take two of them to get it done - buying out Bryz (or finding somewhere to dump him) then trading for Luongo. It remains to be seen if Bryz can do the trick for them, but I see them giving him a shot at least until the deadline.

Washington: good point about whether they want to give up anything to try and improve their goaltending, which they may already think is good enough. They probably have other areas to address but it's likely they're just getting used to Oates and his systems.

Florida: it's where Luongo wants to go, they have pieces we want, but can we get them? Will they be desperate enough to concede or will they entice us with an alternate package? They're a money strapped franchise that could benefit from the revenue of playoff games and want to build off last year, so it seems like they'd be interested the way they've played. I'd be worred about Markstom myself (his knees as you mention) as he may not quite get to the goalie he's projected to be.

I think we're fine until that return comes, but it's not likely to stay that way if Gillis has to carry this into next year for some reason.

So...

Luongo:

5GP - 2W - 0L - 2OTL - 1.46GAA - .944Sv%

Schneider:

4GP - 2W - 2L - 0OLT - 3.13GAA - .897Sv%

Anyone has anything to say?

King of the ES do you believe Luongo is distracting Schneider from performing? Maybe the Avery rule should be applied against Luongo?

Smurf47? How about the technicality of goaltending? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Care to explain? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judging from the support Lu's getting in the barn, I would say most posters on this board don't go out often and illusion superceeds reality.

Vigneault's last question was regarding goaltending. His answer "coin toss, let you know Sunday" as he exits and terminates question period even though another question was in the process of being asked. I believe this was the right course of action. If you shut them up, they'll cease to ask eventually.

Finally this situation is starting to clear with Luongo taking back his rightful position and Schneider having to fight for icetime, as it ought to be, not unlike any other player on the Canucks.

Finally.

So...

Luongo:

5GP - 2W - 0L - 2OTL - 1.46GAA - .944Sv%

Schneider:

4GP - 2W - 2L - 0OLT - 3.13GAA - .897Sv%

Anyone has anything to say?

King of the ES do you believe Luongo is distracting Schneider from performing? Maybe the Avery rule should be applied against Luongo?

Smurf47? How about the technicality of goaltending? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Care to explain? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judging from the support Lu's getting in the barn, I would say most posters on this board don't go out often and illusion superceeds reality.

Vigneault's last question was regarding goaltending. His answer "coin toss, let you know Sunday" as he exits and terminates question period even though another question was in the process of being asked. I believe this was the right course of action. If you shut them up, they'll cease to ask eventually.

Finally this situation is starting to clear with Luongo taking back his rightful position and Schneider having to fight for icetime, as it ought to be, not unlike any other player on the Canucks.

Finally.

Luongo was expectional tonight.

But it shouldn't change the situation other than that teams better open up their eyes and realize he isn't going for nothing.

My original proposal of: Frattin + Finn + 1st should seem like highway robbery for Toronto now.

But he is still the one that should be moved, and I love Lu but 1 game doesn't change everything.

My memory doesn't serve me too well, I apologize, please help recap the last 4 (years) playoff performances by Lu, thanks. Also I m sure you were watching when they were showing Lus reg season and playoff numbers against the Hawks? I m sure they must have made some sense to you? I mean there must have been some doubt in Lu abilities even in the most diehard Lu fans when seeing FACTS on the screen...

Firstly, i wanna say that if you believe that Lu is the best thing for this team and that's your honest opinion than that is very respectable, however if you like most of Lu fans just want him here cause he was a superstar coming into town and you are attached to him now than..there's no real point of this discussion lol :)

However I m just gonna add one bit and let you use your own logic, u know that puck that went through Lus pads but didn't count cause the whistle had blown? well if that goal had counted, just picture what would have happened to Lu...

Firstly, i wanna say that if you believe that Lu is the best thing for this team and that's your honest opinion than that is very respectable, however if you like most of Lu fans just want him here cause he was a superstar coming into town and you are attached to him now than..there's no real point of this discussion lol :)

However I m just gonna add one bit and let you use your own logic, u know that puck that went through Lus pads but didn't count cause the whistle had blown? well if that goal had counted, just picture what would have happened to Lu...

Archived