Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3019 replies to this topic

#181 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

http://blogs.thescor...-of-your-plans/

Things aren't so rosy in the US capital.

Caps’ Perreault denies report he asked for trade

Washington forward Mathieu Perreault has responded to a story in La Presse, refuting the claim he asked for a trade out of the nation’s capital.
“All I want is a little bit more ice time and I talked to Adm Oates and George [McPhee] today about it,”Perreault told the Washington Times. “All I want is to play. I wanna be here. I don’t wanna go anywhere.

“If you guys read the article in French it doesn’t say that I asked for a trade. Never.”

Nothing in it for the Perrault comments. Johansen probably has little chance of being moved as well. Oates wants to get the team winning first I'm sure, then making sure he gives rookies ice time.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#182 Die-hard-nuck

Die-hard-nuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

trade him for a bag of pucks

I take it that the bag of pucks are for the rest of the Canucks, to help them score more goals good thinking.

#183 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Can Luongo get a 1st round pick? Will the trade be similar to that of Hossa and Kovachuk (Sp?)

I am guessing MG will want

-prospect
-current forward
-draft pick (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 24 January 2013 - 11:55 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#184 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Can Luongo get a 1st round pick? Will the trade be similar to that of Hossa and Kovachuk (Sp?)

-prospect
-current forward

I'm thinking MG would want a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th offensive player(preferably a center), and a draft pick, possibly a second or a third pick or two. Adding a prospect may occur; however, that would not be his main concern, as far as the Luongo trade is concerned.

Now, there can be more variables, when it comes to adding players, along with Luongo, such as Raymond or Ballard. If Vancouver decides to trade Ballard, along with Luongo, then Vancouver would want a defenceman back.
Posted Image

#185 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,572 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

^^ I would imagine we will send Ebbett to Chicago and sign Tambellini. Schroeder has shown he's a step above Ebbett, and our depth on wing could use a little help. (Weise on the second line...)

Tambellini is a great ultility guy to have. He filled in great a couple seasons ago, and brings much more to the table then Ebbett.

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head there, both JS and Tamby are better than ebbett, and both give us good depth at different positions (JS at C, Tamby at W, obviously)

That would be my hope, Tamby could really help, I would be very comfortable putting him on JS's line if we want to keep Burrows in the C spot with CH and JH, he has a good shot and so his skills would be much more compatible with Schroeder's playmaking ability than what Weise brings.

Hopefully the management thinks the same way.

Oh I've heard oh Kuznetsov, I just don't value Russian hockey players. With their on and off ice antics only caring about money and running away from their team when things get rough. Not my kind of player

Not all Russians are that way.

Would Washington actually consider trading Forsberg or is he untouchable?

Not untouchable, but not avaliable IMO.

A couple more losses for WSH and they'll be desperate.

Get Perreault and Johansson! :P

Luongo + Malhotra

for

Perreault and Johansson + Erskine

No to putting Manny in the deal (Manny > Perreault) and we don't need Erskine, we have similar players in Alberts and Vandermeer, it's just adding more depth to any already deep area.

Take out Erskine and Manny, then add in Nuevirth (so we get a useful goalie to backup Cory), Ebbett (to replace Perreault) Perhaps more but that should be the base of the deal IMO.

zackass.png

#186 Die-hard-nuck

Die-hard-nuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I hope a deal gets done soon, it's always exciting when a player like Luongo is being traded put you don't know where he is going and who the Canucks will get for him. If they don't get an elite player or players for him I sure do hope a bag of pucks do come with those players or player.

#187 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I know a friend of a friend who has a sister that lives next door to a guy who is the second cousin of a guy who knows a friend that once said hi to MG. That friend told me MG's asking price is too high.

When you're trying to trade the second best goalie on your team who has a higher cap hit for about 7 years longer than the younger, better goalie on your team, the pending trade is public knowledge and comes at a time where next year's cap is about go down, its tough to trade him for all the good players on another team. MG's leverage in this deal is very, very low.

Look back to what Columbus got for Rick Nash last year, the best player on the team. The Canucks are going to get less than that and the longer this goes on, the less they will get as Lu's value for this season will be that much less.

Unless the Canucks are willing to eat some of the cap hit, the best they get is a second line player and a second round draft pick.

#188 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,619 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

I know a friend of a friend who has a sister that lives next door to a guy who is the second cousin of a guy who knows a friend that once said hi to MG. That friend told me MG's asking price is too high.

When you're trying to trade the second best goalie on your team who has a higher cap hit for about 7 years longer than the younger, better goalie on your team, the pending trade is public knowledge and comes at a time where next year's cap is about go down, its tough to trade him for all the good players on another team. MG's leverage in this deal is very, very low.

Look back to what Columbus got for Rick Nash last year, the best player on the team. The Canucks are going to get less than that and the longer this goes on, the less they will get as Lu's value for this season will be that much less.

Unless the Canucks are willing to eat some of the cap hit, the best they get is a second line player and a second round draft pick.

Rick Nash got that return (which is still decent) because Columbus's GM is Scott Howson. Vancouver's GM is Mike Gillis, who is a lot smarter than Howson and will more than likely trade Luongo for a better return than what Howson got for Nash.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#189 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

No to putting Manny in the deal (Manny > Perreault) and we don't need Erskine, we have similar players in Alberts and Vandermeer, it's just adding more depth to any already deep area.

Take out Erskine and Manny, then add in Nuevirth (so we get a useful goalie to backup Cory), Ebbett (to replace Perreault) Perhaps more but that should be the base of the deal IMO.

What's your obsession with Manny? He doesn't really provide anything outside of leadership and being a "swell" guy. He's not being paid 2.5M to be a nice guy. Also Manny is nowhere near better than Perrault.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#190 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

The Nash deal was also made in summer, when they didn't know whether there'd be hockey.

Luongo proposals are at the beginning of a 48 game sprint- season..MG's patience will prob prove a blessing. Also, can't compare the importance of a key fwd vs a starting'tender. Lastly, NTC's almost always leave Clb grasping at short straws. Noone wants to go to such a place.

#191 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Rick Nash got that return (which is still decent) because Columbus's GM is Scott Howson. Vancouver's GM is Mike Gillis, who is a lot smarter than Howson and will more than likely trade Luongo for a better return than what Howson got for Nash.

You never know. MG traded Hodgson for Kassian.

In fact, that trade infuriated Gary Roberts, who was working on conditioning with Hodgson at that time.
Posted Image

#192 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Exactly. Plus there are several recent examples of teams that have ponied up to get what appeared to be devalued assets. Just look at the LA Kings. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter both have ridiculous long term contracts, plus there were character issues and rumours of their heavy drinking and partying ways in Philly. But that didn't stop the Kings from paying Simmonds, Schenn and a 2nd rounder to the Flyers for Richards while sending Jack Johnson and a conditional 1st to Columbus for Carter (who'd done nothing with the CBJ for half a season). Also look at the value the Flyers placed on Bryzgalov, who's basically the same age as Lui.

I think the patience that Gillis is showing will pay off and people will be surprised at how much we'll be able to get for Lui.

Edited by MJDDawg, 25 January 2013 - 12:27 AM.

j6sut.gif

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#193 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head there, both JS and Tamby are better than ebbett, and both give us good depth at different positions (JS at C, Tamby at W, obviously)

That would be my hope, Tamby could really help, I would be very comfortable putting him on JS's line if we want to keep Burrows in the C spot with CH and JH, he has a good shot and so his skills would be much more compatible with Schroeder's playmaking ability than what Weise brings.

Hopefully the management thinks the same way.

Not all Russians are that way.

Not untouchable, but not avaliable IMO.

:picard: Ok i get it, you like Manny, but even you know that statement is not true.

For one, Perreault is 7 years young, still has visions in both of his eyes, can play in all 3 zones and not to mention 1,4m cheaper.

Malhotra can take faceoffs and dump the puck.

#194 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

What's your obsession with Manny? He doesn't really provide anything outside of leadership and being a "swell" guy. He's not being paid 2.5M to be a nice guy. Also Manny is nowhere near better than Perrault.

I know right? i feel like im talking to a wall when talking to Malhotra supporters.

#195 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

:picard: Ok i get it, you like Manny, but even you know that statement is not true.

For one, Perreault is 7 years young, still has visions in both of his eyes, can play in all 3 zones and not to mention 1,4m cheaper.

Dude, I don't think you can play in the NHL at 7. :bigblush:

Posted Image

#196 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,672 posts

Florida will be the ones to cave IMO. They have all the pieces to get a deal done. Tallon is just being frugal right now.

All you have to ask is, who needs Luongo the most? And the answer is Florida. Not just because of his playing ability, but also because they need to sell hockey in Florida. What better way to do that then bring in a big name player. Not to mention a former fan favorite.

I see it coming down to Weiss and Bjugstad. And maybe a salary dump coming our way in the form of Upshall; who can simply be bought out, or used as a fourth liner.

Edited by DeNiro, 25 January 2013 - 12:30 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#197 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

IF we compare to two other big name players Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovanchuk (Sp?) it should be a very similar package

For Hossa the package was
Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Prospect Angelo Esposito, and 1st round pick for Hossa and Dupuis

For Kovalchuk the package was

Johnny Oduya, Nicolas Bergfors, patrick Cormier, and 1st round pick for Kovalchuk and Anssi Salmela

Of Course goalie are not the same as forward but likely as likely package......

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

#198 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Dude, I don't think you can play in the NHL at 7. :bigblush:

woops haha :P i meant YOUNGER.

#199 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Florida will be the ones to cave IMO. They have all the pieces to get a deal done. Tallon is just being frugal right now.

All you have to ask is, who needs Luongo the most? And the answer is Florida. Not just because of his playing ability, but also because they need to sell hockey in Florida. What better way to do that then bring in a big name player. Not to mention a former fan favorite.

I see it coming down to Weiss and Bjugstad. And maybe a salary dump coming our way in the form of Upshall; who can simply be bought out, or used as a fourth liner.

I would be very happy with that. And Upshall could easily contribute this year as well.

j6sut.gif

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#200 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

woops haha :P i meant YOUNGER.

Haha, Sorry I had to do it.

Posted Image

#201 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

IF we compare to two other big name players Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovanchuk (Sp?) it should be a very similar package

For Hossa the package was
Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Prospect Angelo Esposito, and 1st round pick for Hossa and Dupuis

For Kovalchuk the package was

Johnny Oduya, Nicolas Bergfors, patrick Cormier, and 1st round pick for Kovalchuk and Anssi Salmela

Of Course goalie are not the same as forward but likely as likely package......

You have to take their contract status's into account as well. They were both traded at the trade deadline and were pending UFA's. That takes away alot of value compared to having a player locked in for 10 more years.

Luongo should fetch more than those packages.

Posted Image

#202 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,572 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Hmmmm...

Seems like a legit source...

zackass.png

#203 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

I know right? i feel like im talking to a wall when talking to Malhotra supporters.

Malhotra lovers: "Bu-bu-but he does stuff in the communitay (eric cartman voice)"

me: "Fair enough, but why not just donate 2.5M to BC's children hospital instead of paying someone to do stuff in the community?"

Malhotra lovers: ""BUT MAAAAAAEEEEEEEEHHMMMMMMM (eric cartman voice)"

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#204 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

I would be very happy with that. And Upshall could easily contribute this year as well.

Agreed this would be a sweet package. With Huberdeau's showing, they may bite.

#205 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,572 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

For a 4th line role? Manny is absolutely better than Perreault.

Faceoffs, defensive play and Penalty killing are paramount in the playoffs. Who would you rather have in that role? The choice seems obvious to me. The leadership and character only adds to more to what he brings on the ice.

I like Perreault too but on our team in that role Manny is more valuable barring injuries.

I also think you guys aren't giving Manny a fair chance, he hasn't done much yet but it's only 3 games in and like everyone else he is still shaking off rust, in a month or two he will be alot better even if he is only playing in that role.

Edit: And his salary isn't really a factor in anything right now as we can afford it and still have room, and he is a pending UFA who will be re-signed for far less once the cap drops.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 25 January 2013 - 12:42 AM.

zackass.png

#206 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Weiss is injuried right now......but I believe he and booth have some chemistry so that might be good

#207 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

Weiss is injuried right now......but I believe he and booth have some chemistry so that might be good

Yep, he has a lower body injury, aka a groin pull. Tallon said he's day to day, so it's nothing serious. He was part of the morning skate today.

I definitely think Florida would be willing to offer him upif he doesn't plan on re-signing. Bjugstad would be the main thing holding up a deal though I would think. Florida would likely be more willing to offer up a D prospect like Petrovic.

However, with the rise of Huberdeau, and the steady play of Drew Shore in the American league, they may be set down the middle. Meaning Bjugstad may just be expendable after all.

Shore just played his first couple games for the Panthers a couple days ago too. Sounds like he played decent. Maybe this will give Tallon an indication of who's expendable.

Edited by DeNiro, 25 January 2013 - 01:04 AM.

Posted Image

#208 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

For a 4th line role? Manny is absolutely better than Perreault.

Faceoffs, defensive play and Penalty killing are paramount in the playoffs. Who would you rather have in that role? The choice seems obvious to me. The leadership and character only adds to more to what he brings on the ice.

I like Perreault too but on our team in that role Manny is more valuable barring injuries.

I also think you guys aren't giving Manny a fair chance, he hasn't done much yet but it's only 3 games in and like everyone else he is still shaking off rust, in a month or two he will be alot better even if he is only playing in that role.

Edit: And his salary isn't really a factor in anything right now as we can afford it and still have room, and he is a pending UFA who will be re-signed for far less once the cap drops.

We seemed to do fine without Malhotra's leadership faceoff and pking skills on our cup run 2 years ago so there goes that argument.

Our 4th line that year was Glass - Tambellini - Oreskovich. we got farther to the playoffs with that than with Malhotra last year so lol. It sounds to me like you're overrating Malhotra's importance to this team alittle bit.

and It isnt just 3 games, its a continuation of his play last year.

#209 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Yep, he has a lower body injury, aka a groin pull. Tallon said he's day to day, so it's nothing serious. He was part of the morning skate today.

I definitely think Florida would be willing to offer him upif he doesn't plan on re-signing. Bjugstad would be the main thing holding up a deal though I would think. Florida would likely be more willing to offer up a D prospect like Petrovic.

However, with the rise of Huberdeau, and the steady play of Drew Shore in the American league, they may be set down the middle. Meaning Bjugstad may just be expendable after all.

I think he would good with Booth and Kesler but unforunately not very physical.......but I think he will be good......hope he can wing...and Bjustag would really solidfy our future and prospect pool with a true top 6 forward....MG would be a genuis if he can pull this off........I wonder if Tallon will do the same

#210 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

-prospect
-current forward

Top prospect, Roster player and draft pick seems to be the consensus asking price . Ian Mac reiterated it during the intermission last night.

Gotta agree. If it's not Philly, it's Florida IMO. The biggest question people have is "Why are they looking at Luongo, goaltending isn't their problem". Well exactly. Why are they looking at a $40M+ contract (when they have a limited budget) and arguably don't have goaltending problems? Cause it's not just about goaltending for them in that market. They are selling seats for $7/game this season. They just built a costly 'Club Red' lounge in their arena and they don't have a recognizable face for their franchise.

I also see it coming down to asking price. Gillis wants a quality centre, to me that much is clear. Other than Huberdeau (untouchable IMO), it really only leaves Bjugstad and Weiss. And the former is a UFA in 5 months - so I'm guessing its a problem of Bjugstad.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.