The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

A few good games doesn't change the fact that he's about 8 weeks away from being 34, he's signed until 2022, and the Canucks are in a very weak bargaining position.

Nothing at all has changed. You don't actually think that a guy like Dave Nonis is going to make a serious investment decision like this on the basis of 1 or 2 games, do you?

IMO the Canucks desperately need a player like Gardiner. They are horrible at bringing the puck up the ice wether it be on the PP or 5 on 5. Canucks DO NOT have a fast smooth skating that can carry the puck up the ice. Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard etc are decent at it but not exceptional. Look at how successful the PP was when Ehrhoff was here and he has lots of flaws, their PP was 1st in the league and hasn't been close since. Watching the PP last night was brutal, they couldnt even break the blueline on a 5 on 3. The drop pass is ridiculously predictable, they have no one that can successfully break the line consistently. A true offensive dman is a glaring weakness in the Canucks system.

Gardiner >>>> Kadri

Lu, Sauve, 3rd

For

Gardiner and Bozak/Frattin

I totally agree. In fact, I would still pull the trigger if we had to add a 1st rounder (although, I'd also want one of their goalies coming back to play back-up).

I think the one thing this team could use more than anything is a pure sniper, who can create offense out of nothing, and put the puck in the net even if he is being defended perfectly. It would give us a new look, especially in the playoffs. It seems all the other team has to do is take away the time and space for Sedins to make tic-tac-toe plays, take the slot away from Kesler, and BOOM! - we got nothin.

Your back to back President's trophy team is a Moneyball, regular season team. It does not translate into great playoff performance. Hopefully having mixed it up a bit by having Kassian. On te top line, some more toughness, a healthy Kesler and Booth will do wonders.

For a those 2 players, in the same offer. They would be considered scraps. And I'm one who is heavily on the bandwagon of all of the players in question.

Deal makes no sense for Winnipeg. I doubt they would even do Kane for all of that (Taking out Schneider)

The Canucks biggest problem on the PP is breaking the blue line. It's obvious and talked about a lot.

The Canucks best year on the PP was when they had Ehrhoff carrying the puck up. They have struggled this year and last. The drop pass worked for a while but now is very predictable.

The Canucks have a glaring weakness in that role in the system.

I like a lot of other teams forward prospects but if the Canucks are trading with the Leafs, one of their offensive dmen need to be targeted.

They do not need anymore secondary forward or rental players in a trade.

The basis for this post - that 'most goalies come into their prime in their early 30's' - is flat-out FALSE.

A while back, I researched a bunch of NHL starting goaltenders from the past, and the majority of them had their stats majorly fall off at around 34 - the age Luongo is right now. The only goalie in recent years to hit his prime years in his early-to-mid-30's was Tim Thomas - who didn't start playing in the NHL until he was around 30.

Relatively few elite goaltenders can continue to provide top-notch goaltending into their mid-to-late 30's. One of the benefits of giving Luongo these starts is that it gives evidence that he may, in fact, be one of those goalies. There may have been trepidation after his stats noticeably dipped last year. Add in a shortened season, and Luongo's penchant for slow starts, and these past few games may have increased interest among suitors who previously had doubts.

Archived