Higgins Lapierre Weise/Volpatti

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Ballard Garrison
Orlov

Schneider
Holtby

Ballard gets bought out, then resigned for less

Malhotra and Raymond 4.5 million off the books.

A thing of beauty

Terrible trade. And where are you getting all this extra cap to keep the players next year?

Lu would also be good for Washington's work ethic as he is well known as being one of the hardest workers on his team.

#2132 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

VAN
Ovechkin

WAS
Luongo

Fair value.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 08 February 2013 - 01:14 AM.

#2133 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

VAN
Ovechkin

WAS
Luongo

Fair value.

How many times does it have to be said?? Luongo for Ovechkin straight up WILL NOT WORK.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#2134 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

Off topic a bit, but it's funny how quickly a player's value can change. 3 years ago, I would have cheered if we traded Lu, Kes, and picks/prospects for Ovi. Today, I don't think I'd support any trade that brought Ovi here. His play has declined under 3 different coaches. He didn't exactly tear it up in the KHL, he doesn't elevate his teammates, and his massive cap hit would prevent most GMs from rounding out their other lines.

We laughed at DP's contract, and people mock us for Lu's, but Ovi's could be the contract that burns the worst.

#2135 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

Ovi is a big mouth, cry baby, greedy, lazy Hockey player that happens to be Russian.

The word is he has a drug and alcohol addiction which is also fun to deal with.

Edited by Noheart, 08 February 2013 - 02:36 AM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#2136 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

WSH owner is worth 1 Billion, which is on the lower end of NHL owners, maybe he is saying no to Luongo's contract and therefor they have made no inquiries about him

if you're worth 1 billion then 5.3 million a year on a goalie is pocket change

#2137 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Not sure why McPhee seems so committed to these crappy goalies? He doesn't have to g out and get Luongo, but any self respecting GM would go out and do something to upgrade that position.
Bernier is not the answer, he is less experienced than both WSH goalies in terms of playoff experience and less experienced than neuvirth in regular season action.

Way to go McPhee, stand idly by and watch your core of veterans lose a season due to pathetic goaltending

How do you know that Bernier is not the answer?

To answer your question, sometimes you do need to take a step back and realize that there's been roughly 10 games played. Holtby has been very good in the NHL besides the 5 games that he's played this year. Small sample size, yes, but good enough to take notice. He was unreal in last year's playoffs. And he's 23.

If I'm Washington, I'm a lot more concerned about Ovechkin than I am about my goaltending. More evidence continues to mount that he's just not the same guy that was signed to that outrageous contract, which is a potential franchise killer.

#2138 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

WSH owner is worth 1 Billion, which is on the lower end of NHL owners, maybe he is saying no to Luongo's contract and therefor they have made no inquiries about him

I don't think that it's for a lack of wealth, but look at how Washington's current lifetime contracts are going. Backstom & Ovechkin combine for $16.2M of cap, and they've combined for 4 goals so far. Ovechkin's becoming less and less of a force seemingly by the day, and Backstrom could well be damaged goods via concussions. Could be that they're just scared off by the risks associated with the lifetime contract.

#2139 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

How do you know that Bernier is not the answer?

To answer your question, sometimes you do need to take a step back and realize that there's been roughly 10 games played. Holtby has been very good in the NHL besides the 5 games that he's played this year. Small sample size, yes, but good enough to take notice. He was unreal in last year's playoffs. And he's 23.

If I'm Washington, I'm a lot more concerned about Ovechkin than I am about my goaltending. More evidence continues to mount that he's just not the same guy that was signed to that outrageous contract, which is a potential franchise killer.

It seems you and the Leaf fan base are the only ones pumping up Berniers tires.. good i hope he ends up there its the last place i want to see Lou or Schneids end up at. The Canucks are playing great and both goal tenders are feeding off each other. The team looks like they are having more fun playing hockey than i have seen in a long time. Couldnt care about Washington or Ovie or Backstrom.

#2140 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

ppl is WSH would go crazy for Luongo- they have never ever had a goaltender as good as him in their franchise history and don't say Kolzig, he had like a handful of good years

I actually Followed ollie the goalie from his midget days in Abbotsford. He was better than Lou on many levels playing for an inferior team that struggled defensively. Ollie was way better than Lou fundamentally..you have your opinion but its not based on facts.

#2141 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Kolzig was not a better goalie and there is no facts that could prove other wise
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#2142 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Kolzig was not a better goalie and there is no facts that could prove other wise

There's really no facts either way.

Luongo has played for a better team, but both goalies got their team into the SCF. Kolzig won a Vezina, Luongo has not. Kolzig had a better playoff SVP in a different era, Luongo has a better reg. season SVP.

It's up to opinion, but Kolzig played 700+ games with WSH so I don't think the idea that they've never had a 'super star goalie' is valid.

#2143 Quint

Quint

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

My sources are telling me (Q3):

To NYI- Luongo, Kesler

To VAN- Tavares, DiPietro

#2144 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

To NYI- Luongo, Kesler

The great whites in this forum are gonna have fun with you.

#2145 Rusty_Element

Rusty_Element

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Ovi is a big mouth, cry baby, greedy, lazy Hockey player that happens to be Russian.

The word is he has a drug and alcohol addiction which is also fun to deal with.

Is that true? Who is starting rumours like that? If it's true, that's really sad and would explain his declining play. Man, he was destined to be a great a few seasons ago.

#2146 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Washington obviously needs some depth in their lineup, and I don't think they can give any significant roster player back. I'm not sure Van has that to offer......Booth maybe? I, like many, thought that Was might be the perfect trading partner, but now I'm not so sure.......can the Nucks afford to give up Lu and a good roster player and not get back a significant roster player in return?

#2147 Rusty_Element

Rusty_Element

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

To NYI- Luongo, Kesler

I'm no great "cap counting" hockey buff outside of the fact I love the Canucks. This seems like a pretty legitimate trade both ways. We'd be missing Kesler but bringing in some youth never hurts. Especially an elite player like Tavares.

#2148 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

To NYI- Luongo, Kesler

Canucks would need a 1st to go with that deal.

#2149 Quint

Quint

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

The great whites in this forum are gonna have fun with you.

That my friend, is some good material! Well played.

#2150 Quint

Quint

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Canucks would need a 1st to go with that deal.

I am going to say that you are correct. That would make it a way more acceptable trade.

#2151 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

I am going to say that you are correct. That would make it a way more acceptable trade.

the orginal deal was essentially Kes and Lu for Tavares, as I can't see the Nucks taking on Dipietro without buying him out

#2152 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

personal knowledge says otherwise !

#2153 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

I hate to say it but Kolzig and Luongo have pretty similar resumes

Kolzig is highly underrated. carried the caps to the SCF with nothing.

If he was on say, Detroit or Dallas and not competing against Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Belfour

he may have won more hardware than he did.

Kolzig might have been underrated out west as we didn't see that much of him. At his peak he was the best or close to best in the NHL.

With 38 games left for most teams McPhee has to move soon to turn things around. Obviously the Caps have other problems other than goaltending. The question is whether they move some of their talent to get a tender who gets them to playoffs but no further. Hunter left for a reason. I suspect he saw required changes in that roster that management did not want to make. All sorts of ugly could come out of Washington.

#2154 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

#Caps' McPhee says start is his "responsibility." Also added he won't be rash. "We're not gonna blow it up."

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2155 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

With FLA trading Ellerby, I can't seem them being a trading partner for Luongo this year. They won't give up Gudbranson.

Islanders I also think while they had assets, are also out after getting Thomas.

It leaves only Washington (if they are even interested in making a move or just fire the GM/coach), and Toronto (Nonis wants the price to drop) with an outside chance to Tampa Bay and Philly (off season only).

To me it seems teams around Vancouver are making subtle changes and filling holes, but no major shifts where Lui could be dealt this year.

#2156 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Washington obviously needs some depth in their lineup, and I don't think they can give any significant roster player back. I'm not sure Van has that to offer......Booth maybe? I, like many, thought that Was might be the perfect trading partner, but now I'm not so sure.......can the Nucks afford to give up Lu and a good roster player and not get back a significant roster player in return?

Good question.
At the end of all this Van has to have a productive 2nd line. Kesler and Booth will both have question marks around their performance until they prove otherwise, particularly Booth. It appears the Twins need Burrows more than vice versa. If you bump Kassian to the 3rd then what happens to Hanson? As the Canucks round into shape I am more content with the bottom 6. As well as Raymond has been playing I am still concerned that Raymond-Kesler-Booth never really jelled. It might have been Kesler's health but not sure. What top 6 on the Caps makes sense?

Other than the fact that Minnie looked totally unmotivated the Canucks looked real strong last night. Physically they bordered on intimidating. Offensively all 4 lines were getting chances and the d-core were hitting the net more often. When I look at the Hawks for example I see Van stronger in every department other than top 6. Another question would be whether Van has the luxary of letting Schroeder get his feet wet in a short season on a CUP contending team at 3C? He is playing well but does a Lou deal require a big center for the 3rd line? I am inclined to let him play and continue looking for a top 6 winger for the 2nd line.

Edited by Boudrias, 08 February 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#2157 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

<p>

Something to remember - what UFA goalies have lined up to play in Toronto?††Having a hard time remembering the last decent tender to agree to go there...

Also something to remember: Mike Smith has had ONE good year.††Many goalies have had one good year.††This year, his stats are not even remotely NHL level, with 3.43 gaa and .863 save %. In short, I don't think Mike Smith is a good available goalie to be using as an alternative to Luongo, who has consistently put up some of the best numbers in the NHL for years.

And Sampy: You can't buy a player out then re-sign him for a year.

Edited by kloubek, 08 February 2013 - 10:35 AM.

Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#2158 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

#Caps' McPhee says start is his "responsibility." Also added he won't be rash. "We're not gonna blow it up."

Getting Luongo would be the exact opposite of blowing it up, and trading one prospect of the 3 or 4 great ones they have wouldn't be a huge loss.

#2159 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Ellerby move doesn't preclude Luongo from going to Florida - particularly if a blueliner were included in the deal - and a blueliner could still be coming back.

#2160 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Good question.
At the end of all this Van has to have a productive 2nd line. Kesler and Booth will both have question marks around their performance until they prove otherwise, particularly Booth. It appears the Twins need Burrows more than vice versa. If you bump Kassian to the 3rd then what happens to Hanson? As the Canucks round into shape I am more content with the bottom 6. As well as Raymond has been playing I am still concerned that Raymond-Kesler-Booth never really jelled. It might have been Kesler's health but not sure. What top 6 on the Caps makes sense?

Other than the fact that Minnie looked totally unmotivated the Canucks looked real strong last night. Physically they bordered on intimidating. Offensively all 4 lines were getting chances and the d-core were hitting the net more often. When I look at the Hawks for example I see Van stronger in every department other than top 6. Another question would be whether Van has the luxary of letting Schroeder get his feet wet in a short season on a CUP contending team at 3C? He is playing well but does a Lou deal require a big center for the 3rd line? I am inclined to let him play and continue looking for a top 6 winger for the 2nd line.

I love Schroeder's game.......I think he's here for good. He's able to add an offensive threat to the third line without sacrificing the defensive aspect to a bottom 6 C role. Does Booth now become expendable? Does Higgy? Does Lappy? Does Raymond? IMO, these guys are all guys Washington wouldn't mind having for depth. Can Vancouver survive giving up a good forward without getting one back?

Sedin Sedin Burr
_____ Kes Hansen
________Schroeder Kassian
________Malhotra _________

Could they afford to do.......

Lu, Booth

for

Holtby/Neuvirth, Forsberg and a pick?

Sedin Sedin Burr
? Kes Hansen
Raymond Schroeder Kassian
Higgins Malhotra Lappy

Edited by stawns, 08 February 2013 - 10:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.