#2162 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

<p>

Also something to remember: Mike Smith has had ONE good year. Many goalies have had one good year. This year, his stats are not even remotely NHL level, with 3.43 gaa and .863 save %. In short, I don't think Mike Smith is a good available goalie to be using as an alternative to Luongo, who has consistently put up some of the best numbers in the NHL for years.

And Sampy: You can't buy a player out then re-sign him for a year.

Before CS started last night and almost pitched a shutout, he had stats that looked real similar. "Not even remotely NHL level" is a hell of a stretch when you consider the fact that one decent start in such a small sample size can absolve you over night.
If his numbers stay that way in twice as many games, it obviously changes things.
Not saying "bring Smith to Vancouver", or anything like that, though.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#2163 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

My sources are telling me (Q3):

To NYI- Luongo, Kesler

To VAN- Tavares, DiPietro

This is one of those ones that were supposed to freak out and say "you idiot, add kassian and 3 1st round picks". Looking at garth snow's history it really isnt out of the realm of possibility though haha

if we did get them to agree on it, you still got 2 guys to convince to waive go to a tavaresless islanders though

#2164 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Getting Luongo would be the exact opposite of blowing it up, and trading one prospect of the 3 or 4 great ones they have wouldn't be a huge loss.

Exactly what I was thinking

Props to canuckbuddy for the sig

#2165 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I love Schroeder's game.......I think he's here for good. He's able to add an offensive threat to the third line without sacrificing the defensive aspect to a bottom 6 C role. Does Booth now become expendable? Does Higgy? Does Lappy? Does Raymond? IMO, these guys are all guys Washington wouldn't mind having for depth. Can Vancouver survive giving up a good forward without getting one back?

Sedin Sedin Burr
_____ Kes Hansen
________Schroeder Kassian
________Malhotra _________

Could they afford to do.......

Lu, Booth

for

Holtby/Neuvirth, Forsberg and a pick?

Sedin Sedin Burr
? Kes Hansen
Raymond Schroeder Kassian
Higgins Malhotra Lappy

I don't see any immediate help in your proposal other than a necessary Backup for CS. Sending Booth and moving Hanson up has potential. I like that it gives Kass a role on the 3rd. The CAP hit might be to big for the Caps to handle. Higgins might work better but I like his game. Alberts is another piece that some teams might like. Big, stay at home, with some decent hitting and affordable.

Never thought I would say it but I am starting to think MG could keep Lou. Season almost 1/4 over. He might get better value during the summer after contract buyouts and UFAs leave.

#2166 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Sedin Sedin Burr
? Kes Hansen
Raymond Schroeder Kassian
Higgins Malhotra Lappy

I find that lineup a bit soft but that's just me. I think this team needs all three of Volpatti, Weise and Lapierre softening up the opposition's Dcore with big hits on the forecheck over a 7-game series to be successful in the West.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#2167 doobie

doobie

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Neuvirth Mojo for Lu and Raymond is the offer... Would you guys accept?

#2168 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

No.

Brouwer or Laich should be the target in a trade with Washington. Another thing that we don't need is another young goalie who has played pretty good and who people might fall in love with here if he plays a few good games. We need an Andrew Raycroft type for CS. Give him some room to breathe, for once.

#2169 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Lp
Posted Image

#2170 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Not a chance. Value isn't even close. I'm also not sold that we need to take back a goalie in a Lu deal. We can probably fish one for cheap somewhere else. And no room for Mojo once Kesler comes back.

Brouwer + Wilson + Orlov for Luongo

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2171 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Brouwer + Wilson + Orlov for Luongo

WAS will not give up that much, come on.

#2172 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

WAS will not give up that much, come on.

they wont take 1 roster player from their lineup to get an elite goalie who gives them a chance to go far in thr playoffs?

Wilson is a huge risk, and orlov hasnt proven much. id prefer a 1st round pick over orlov myself

#2173 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

they wont take 1 roster player from their lineup to get an elite goalie who gives them a chance to go far in thr playoffs?

Wilson is a huge risk, and orlov hasnt proven much. id prefer a 1st round pick over orlov myself

Tom Wilson is a "huge risk" - why? In what way? And if he's such a risk, why do you want the Canucks to take him? You're suffering from the classic Canuck fan bias of making proposals that involve "elite" Canucks going one way, and crappy, risky, fodder that the Canucks will reluctantly accept because they're nice guys (Smashian did the same thing with Derick Brassard) coming back, even though the scale is actually heavily tipped towards Vancouver's favour.

Luongo may be "elite" today, but, like it or not, his contract adversely affects his value in a huge way. The guy's about 2 months shy of the age of 34. He's under contract at a heavy cap hit until 2022. That makes for an extremely risky acquisition.

Here's a question: who would you trade Jannik Hansen, Brendan Gaunce, and Chris Tanev for? That's basically what you're asking Washington to give up (and flattering to Tanev, realistically).

Edited by King of the ES, 08 February 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#2174 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Here's a question: who would you trade Jannik Hansen, Brendan Gaunce, and Chris Tanev for? That's basically what you're asking Washington to give up (and flattering to Tanev, realistically).

In a heartbeat. For a top ten (arguably top 5) goalie? I would have no problem giving that up - especially when that is one of my main needs.

Edited by Lonny_Bohonos_14, 08 February 2013 - 03:17 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2175 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

personal knowledge says otherwise !

please tell us all about this vast knowledge you have accumulated playing all those years in the NHL....oh wait

#2176 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Before CS started last night and almost pitched a shutout, he had stats that looked real similar. "Not even remotely NHL level" is a hell of a stretch when you consider the fact that one decent start in such a small sample size can absolve you over night.
If his numbers stay that way in twice as many games, it obviously changes things.
Not saying "bring Smith to Vancouver", or anything like that, though.

You're absolutely right... the sample size for this season is far too small, and it is entirely possible (and likely) that Smith will end the year with much better stats. But my point was also related the fact Smith has only had one good year and I would be somewhat surprised if he replicated the same level of success this season... especially considering he's off to a poor start. To compare him to Luongo is an apples and oranges scenario at this point in both of their careers. To me, the jury is entirely still out on Smith. To be honest, imo, Schneider hasn't 100% convinced me either... though his performance over the past two seasons has been excellent and I love the guy's attitude, it is still a bit of a risk on behalf of MG to make him the #1 quite yet.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#2177 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Be cool to pick up johansson I must admit.

#2178 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,067 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I don't see any immediate help in your proposal other than a necessary Backup for CS. Sending Booth and moving Hanson up has potential. I like that it gives Kass a role on the 3rd. The CAP hit might be to big for the Caps to handle. Higgins might work better but I like his game. Alberts is another piece that some teams might like. Big, stay at home, with some decent hitting and affordable.

Never thought I would say it but I am starting to think MG could keep Lou. Season almost 1/4 over. He might get better value during the summer after contract buyouts and UFAs leave.

I didn't really mean it as a proposal as much as a study of whether the Nucks and Caps really are good trading partners at this point. I can't see Washington giving up a significant roster player, as this point, when they actually need to add more depth.

My fear with not moving him this season is that with the cap going down, MG kind of paints himself into a position where everyone knows he has to make a trade before the season starts

#2179 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Does the Tim Thomas trade not show a loophole in the CBA that teams could take advantage of if they were to acquire luongo.....if luongo had say four of five more years left he could play for whatever team wanted him and then when it gets to the lower end of his contract ie 3mil a year and lower actual pay, he could just tell his team he is taking time off from the game to be with family and said team could then suspend him and trade him to a team who at the time needs to hit cap floor for a low draft pick if he plays ,with both teams knowing he isn't going to play. Kinda makes his contract more digestible

Edited by CrippledCanuck, 08 February 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#2180 Sbriggs

Sbriggs

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

never

#2181 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,067 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

In a heartbeat. For a top ten (arguably top 5) goalie? I would have no problem giving that up - especially when that is one of my main needs.

I tend to agree........the highway to the Cup is littered with teams who thought they could get by with an average goalie. Top 10 goalies are worth much much more than skaters are.

#2182 firestorm238

firestorm238

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Does the Tim Thomas trade not show a loophole in the CBA that teams could take advantage of if they were to acquire luongo.....if luongo had say four of five more years left he could play for whatever team wanted him and then when it gets to the lower end of his contract ie 3mil a year and lower actual pay, he could just tell his team he is taking time off from the game to be with family and said team could then suspend him and trade him to a team who at the time needs to hit cap floor for a low draft pick if he plays with, both teams knowing he isn't going to play. Kinda makes his contract more digestible

I've thought of that... only thing is Luongo wouldn't get paid when his contract is suspended.

#2183 Saskatchewan Canucks Fan

Saskatchewan Canucks Fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Is that true? Who is starting rumours like that? If it's true, that's really sad and would explain his declining play. Man, he was destined to be a great a few seasons ago.

I do not know where the guy you were asking heard this rumour. But I have heard rumors from a few people, who know a guy who is in the Capitals system. He says that Ovi drinks A LOT. Like easily between 26 and 40 ounces a day. However, I do not know the guy who is saying this personally. So I will say that it is nothing more than a rumour that you can take however you want. Just sharing my expierence with this rumour. I also heard a "rumour" before Subban signed that he thought he had been dealt to the Canucks. This was from a different person than the OVI rumour and obviously was not true. So just a little warning about rumours that you hear from a guy who knows a guy lol

anfqiq.jpg
                                By -Vintage Canuck-

#2184 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I've thought of that... only thing is Luongo wouldn't get paid when his contract is suspended.

Could be his way of retiring before his contract is up without teams getting penalized. The way his contracts structured its not exactly confirmed but is understood he probably isn't going to play out his contract. I just don't think he would play for the relative peanuts he is making in the last few years

#2185 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Tom Wilson is a "huge risk" - why? In what way? And if he's such a risk, why do you want the Canucks to take him? You're suffering from the classic Canuck fan bias of making proposals that involve "elite" Canucks going one way, and crappy, risky, fodder that the Canucks will reluctantly accept because they're nice guys (Smashian did the same thing with Derick Brassard) coming back, even though the scale is actually heavily tipped towards Vancouver's favour.

Luongo may be "elite" today, but, like it or not, his contract adversely affects his value in a huge way. The guy's about 2 months shy of the age of 34. He's under contract at a heavy cap hit until 2022. That makes for an extremely risky acquisition.

He is a risk because he hasnt played a single game in the nhl, and he may or may not be ready to play in a year or 2.

Also we have Kassian and he has scoring ability and hes on the 3rd line now. What happens when kesler and booth come back where does AV play his big power forward then?

So yes tom Wilson is a risk, as are any drafted player in the 1st round yet to play a game. Does he have upside yes, Do i like what he can do yes, Do i feel we have a player like that yes. Would i prefer us get a goal scoring sniper as a prospect with speed to go along with kassian our big power forward yes.

You know im not gonna get into an argument, cause i know you get some kind of high off controversy on this forum. Im not gonna engage in back and forth ranting.

Im stated my opinion to say Tom Wilson is a risk at this point. Just like you have no problem saying your opinion on several topics on here. Surpised your interested in Tom Wilson considering didnt you make a thread that wasnt the greatest towards Kassian, are they not similar?

Dont bother replying unless you wanna see what you wrote, I wont engage in an argument with you on here, nor do others want to hear it

thanks for your input, you said your piece, I said mine, have a nice day

#2186 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

please tell us all about this vast knowledge you have accumulated playing all those years in the NHL....oh wait

Actually I was a friend of the familly...does that help you at all?

#2187 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

I don't know too much about Petrovic...high end talent?

Sort of like Gudbranson.

Big, physical, defensive, bruising, good skating, decent shot/offense. Probably an allround - defense first/punishing #3/4 guy.

Yes, and a very reasonable target imo. Florida has a couple of bottlenecks where their young talent is concerned. When you look at players like Huberdeau and Bjugstad (or even Grimaldi) coming down the pipe, and a few solid veterans already in place in addition to the young Matthias, it makes it possible imo to move a B/B+ prospect like Shore, who could be an ideal for the Canucks in a number of senses - he is right at that NHL ready point, can add a different type of young two-way potential 3rd line center to the mix, and depth on the roster at that crucial position, while also being on an affordable ELC. He is a solid young prospect despite being ranked 5th on the Panthers prospect pool at center alone.
Likewise where Petrovic is concerned - he is coming in behind a wave of bluechips including Kulikov, Gudbranson and Ellerby (with another couple young players with NHL potential in Robak and Matheson) - he is probably a year or two away from NHL ready, which is a good time line where the Canucks blueline is concerned imo, he has very compelling and distinct qualities that the Canucks could really use - and he is not going to impact the Canucks cap reality in the immediate future, but is close enough to be pretty much ideal.
I personally am far from dead set on a guy like Bjugstad, particularly after drafting Gaunce. Imo Shore is a potential tweener - and some of the most valuable players on championship teams imo are the third and fourth liners that consist of players who border on second line quality...
There are no doubt some people who'd be disappointed in a return like Petrovic, Shore and a pick or mid range roster player, but I'd be pleased with that, I think it would have to be considered very reasonable from Florida's perspective, and doesn't put Tallon on a hot seat for moving one of his (handful of) bluechips. Florida can still add a piece to compensate when they move one of their current tenders, and when you look at the reality of their bottleneck of young playes commanding NHL positions, I think it makes a lot of sense all around.

Good post.

Since Bjugstad, and the other big ones seem off the board, there are still some solid guys avaliable.

That Shore/Petrovic combination is sorta comparable to my Frattin/Finn combination, although I would take Petrovic over Finn and Frattin over Shore. (Sorta the best of both)

But good post. Wouldn't mind those two, I really like Petrovic.

Lou
Weise
2nd (I include this only because history shows our scouting staff has no idea how to use them properly anyway)

for

Shore
Petrovic
Goc
Upshall (could be considered negative value)
Clemmensen

I wouldn't do that honestly.

The 2nd is pretty valuable to us, we have few quality picks normally and now that this draft is slated to be a deeper one perhaps we will get a quality player with the 2nd.

If Upshall is in the deal, take out the 2nd (And Weise preferably, but the 2nd foremost.)

zackass.png

#2188 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I guess I'm just not sure why the Canucks would be interested in either Goc or Upshall. We shouldn't care about what sort of precarious position the Panthers are in; that's their problem, not ours.

We would need Upshall to make the deal work, or else the whole thing would go up in shreds.

Like you though, I don't see Goc as a major need, he isn't a big upgrade on Manny or Lappy IMO. Though I am not really a fan of Mattias (nothing against him either) I would almost rather him, I think Goc is a bit better player, but with him not being a need, the younger, more physical guy with the upside might better.

Teams may start looking at Fasth of Anaheim before looking at Luo. He has been just as phenomenal this season as Luo and could be a better bargain for teams not wanting to give up a piece of their core or top prospects.

This is something I have been thinking/worrying about too.

He has looked stellar and was the SEL goaltender of the year 2 straight years.

The more he plays, and the better he plays, maybe teams will be interested. Or maybe Anaheim would put Hiller up if they believe in Fasth.

Who knows. Hopefully niether scenario materializes till Lu has been moved though.

The only potential downside is whether or not the team can retain him under next year's salary cap.

Compliance Buy-out B)

zackass.png

#2189 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Brouwer
Laich
Holtby

Luongo
Raymond
Schroeder
2nd

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Hansen
Brouwer Laich Kassian
Higgins Lapierre Weise/Volpatti

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Ballard Garrison

Schneider
Holtby

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#2190 Italia2006

Italia2006

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Based on what I read from people on here and hear from the media, the only way a deal will go down this year in my opinion would be a 3 way deal.
I highly doubt the Capitals will give us all the pieces we need. The same as the Maple Leafs.
A 3 way deal would make sense. If we get pieces such as for example a Kadri type player, he would not fit our type of team we're trying to build, we could use him and get a guy like an O'rielly (just an example).
Another example of that would be a team like the Ducks. If they feel they can only sign one of Getzlaf or Perry, they could be a part of the 3 way deal.
With Gillis, you never know what he has up his sleeves. It sounds like nothing is going on but something big could be happening right now. I have a easier time believing McPhee saying he'll not do anything big or drastic. He doesn't have the balls to pull off big trades. Look at his track record. The only way he would have the balls to do it is if his owner told him his job is on the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.