The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

If we wanted Luongo we might just have to give up Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan Allen - top 3 power forward and 4th overall pick with top 4 potential.... (and Auld for Krajicek). Yeah whatever, Luos older, but so am I, so I know that what that really means is better.

Anyhoo, perhaps we toss in a piece to get Forsberg and one o dem RFA youngster tenders included.

I'm pretty stubborn Smashian - that's what I want and I agree with Gillis when he sets the bar high.

Otherwise we can talk Alzner. :bigblush: After all, we's the club that's not in troubles - we doin good, an gettin Kes back, so who's in the position a strenth here?

No thanks to those young Caps C's though - not upgrades.

Luongo's value then was far far greater than what it is now.

Luongo was Cory's age, and had already had a Vezina nomination and was a top 3 goaltender in the league. His value then was much higher than what Cory's is now, and since Corys value now is higher than Luongo's now.. Well you get the picture.

So, just in the overall picture, something I was wondering about - the Capitals beat reporters were very quick to come out and say that no Luongo trades had been discussed. Did they offer any other reason why G&G were in the building today? Because, coupled with the reports that the two are attnending another Eastern Conf. game tomorrow, during a season where we never play any of these teams, things just seem ... weird. Is there any plausible reason why they are out there attending games?

So, just in the overall picture, something I was wondering about - the Capitals beat reporters were very quick to come out and say that no Luongo trades had been discussed. Did they offer any other reason why G&G were in the building today? Because, coupled with the reports that the two are attnending another Eastern Conf. game tomorrow, during a season where we never play any of these teams, things just seem ... weird. Is there any plausible reason why they are out there attending games?

There certainly wasn't any worry about post season performance when he was in Florida, but that's overrated as an overall rating of his capabilities IMO. He also didn't have a gold medal at that point though either. The main issue might be contract versus anything else, which can be a distraction, but Luongo's still a highly rated goalie, just with less life span.

No other reason that I heard, but it's clearly not random or just simply that one or both of them have ties to either team and wanted to see the game. It's a long way to fly just for that.

Nothing may come of it, but they weren't there by chance. Also, it might not be strictly about Luongo.

Maybe we could get both Mojo and Orlov? It seems like a stretch but really that could be better for them than giving up Brouwer or Forsberg, especially considering Mojo is in the dog house.

To Vancouver: Marcus Johansson, Dimtry Orlov

To Washington: Roberto Luongo, Kevin Connaution, 4th

Seems fair, Mojo for Luongo is one half (That favors Lu in value)

Orlov for Connaution + 4th is the other half (That favors Orlov)

Orlov is obviously much better than Connaution, but both bring the same aspects. And atleast Connaution would give them another offensive D in return, and would allow them to keep there there early round picks for this deep upcoming draft.

Why would they move Bryz lol? I guess this is another convergence for you and Smashian.

But your question "why Couturier"? is very intriguing. Schroeder in your opinion is now a future 2C? Wow - that's quite a shift King, from your warning signs that Schroeder and Kassian were fast tracking to bustville. Has the tide turned back? What made you change your mind about Schroeder? Is it his assist? Say hypothetically, the Canucks acquired Couturier and didn't send Schroeder to Philly in the deal - you see Schroeder as the 2C and Couturier as 3?

Unfortunately, we're in a position where we need to get rid of 1 goaltender before the start of next season, with this knowledge bringing down the value of each goaltender with each passing day that we keep both. It's a game of chicken and I simply don't see how the bids will increase as we hold on to both guys.

The team that gets more desperate as time passes is us, not the other side, which continues to lower our bargaining position.

See, I think this situation has really made a decision harder for MG.

I am a Lu lover so maybe I am slightly blinded by my bias. But I have a real hard time trading Lu now, and I was pretty convinced and almost prepared to lose him.

But do you reaaally trade a goalie that is putting up Vezina nominee numbers? I just don't buy it.

At this point if he is not traded for a roster player, top end prospect AND a 1st round draft pick I will be sorely disappointed.

See, I think this situation has really made a decision harder for MG.

I am a Lu lover so maybe I am slightly blinded by my bias. But I have a real hard time trading Lu now, and I was pretty convinced and almost prepared to lose him.

But do you reaaally trade a goalie that is putting up Vezina nominee numbers? I just don't buy it.

At this point if he is not traded for a roster player, top end prospect AND a 1st round draft pick I will be sorely disappointed.

Archived