The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

^^^This. As sad as I am to see Luo leave, his stock is rising right now. Let's face it, the Canucks are not playing very well. Luo is proving, yet again, that he is good enough to keep a team in the playoff race, regardless of how they are playing. For a team that is rebuilding, they won't need him. However, for teams like the Capitals, they need him.

Gone are the days where Ovechkin could dominate the game by himself. Right now, the Caps cannot win unless they have a goaltender they can rely on. There are some teams in a similar situation, by the Caps are by far going to be the team most willing to give up exactly what Gillis is looking for.

So, just in the overall picture, something I was wondering about - the Capitals beat reporters were very quick to come out and say that no Luongo trades had been discussed. Did they offer any other reason why G&G were in the building today?

Holtby allows us to run 2 young goalies that have proven to be sublime in the playoffs.

Gillis is betting Schneider will make Holtby better.

This is the perfect situation where the argument about only have one capable goalie will be null and void after this trade.

Luongo

Raymond

Schroeder

1st

Laich

Brouwer

Holtby

Orlov

Why do we do this? Why does it make us better?

Well we get much bigger all of a sudden, lot's of people are suggesting Marcus Johannson, just can't do it. Laich wants a cup too badly and him and Brouwer on the third line would be legendary. Two people in their prime with as much playoff experience as any of our players.

Their size and ability to score would simply be too much.

We would finally have the size of 4 of our top 9 forwards to balance out the opposition.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Burrows

Hansen Laich Brouwer

Higgins Lapierre Volpatti

No plugs, no gaps, have Weise and Manny ready to come help when injuries happen.

Orlov makes the deal possible for us to do.

Yep.

Or it's part of a 2-game trip and this one was just a masquerade to pump up the market, just as his comment about "a potential deal" probably was.

DeNiro brought up a good point - if GMDT thinks WSH might be interested, his division rival will be hard to score against for the next 7+ seasons. Therefore, he might want to get on with it.

Anyway, GMMG & LG are clearly clever guys & this probably was a well-calculated trip.

The SE Division has to discount their players in any trade simply because they are in the SE Division! :) Seriously! Their stats are pumped up by a unbalanced sched that let's them play one another far to much. The goal tending is the only thing close to bonafide as they get so much practise.

Lou comes out of Edmonton with another win and Gillis's phone keeps on ringing. I expect a deal by the time the road trip to Minnie and Nashville is done. While I respect Oates ability the Caps GM is under pressure from an activist owner. Something sereiously wrong in Washington as that team goes through the motions. I thought Semin was a big part of that but apparently not that big. They fired two coaches before Oates (sorry Hunter quit). Something is rotten so Gillis had better be carefull which carcus he picks up.

This has the potential to be the ultimate diasaster. Holding onto Lu is blocking up the whole organization. Is almost good that Lack is hurt or this would be even worse because he would be NHL ready and Cannata is AHL ready, but with Lu still here it backs everything up.

I believe Lu wants to leave for family reasons and Cory wants to play here, but at some point even Cory will get fed up with this and quietly ask to be traded.

It sure sounds like Washington is a team that needs to be 'shaken up'. As Boudrias pointed out, with so many coaches departing, it may be a player personel problem. If this is the case, they may be looking for a multiplayer trade. We don't really have any 2nd line players to trade (Booth is still injured, don't know if they would consider Raymond a 2nd liner). We do have +++ tweeners, some D (Ballard, Tanav) and Luongo (Schnieder for some). I don't know if any of these (other than the goalies) would appeal to Wash. Perhaps a 3rd team will be involved.

I dunno, by definition, "Elite" means a select few. To me Roy, Hasek and Brodeur are the only goalies in the past 30 years that can be labelled elite. They played til the agesof 38, 43 and 40(still going) and had no real decline in numbers.

Luongo is probably incredibly motivated to shed his rep as a big game choker, if he can stay off his face like he did last night, he might have a chance.

Archived