The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I agree. I think any deal with the Caps would be for a prospect/pick plus someone from the Caps' roster. Brouwer would be good, although I agree with those who say that Washingtone would be reluctant to trade a guy they just picked up.

I could see someone like Fehr or even Jay Beagle being a fit on the bottom six. Add a prospect like Johanssen or Wilson and you have the makings of a deal.

The one negative I see in a deal with the Caps is that we wouldn't be able to address the need for a blue chip prospect at the center position. With Kes now skating and Schroeder playing well, I think the need for immediate help at the position is diminished, but I think the Canucks could really use another prospect at center to go with Gaunce.

for a player to be called a 2nd liner he has to have net at least 50 points imo. Plus Brouwer is kind of a dick with some bad history with the canucks. Come to think of it a lot of players from BC are dicks. Lucic, Ladd, Brouwer...

Maybe we could get both Mojo and Orlov? It seems like a stretch but really that could be better for them than giving up Brouwer or Forsberg, especially considering Mojo is in the dog house.

To Vancouver: Marcus Johansson, Dimtry Orlov

To Washington: Roberto Luongo, Kevin Connaution, 4th

Seems fair, Mojo for Luongo is one half (That favors Lu in value)

Orlov for Connaution + 4th is the other half (That favors Orlov)

Orlov is obviously much better than Connaution, but both bring the same aspects. And atleast Connaution would give them another offensive D in return, and would allow them to keep there there early round picks for this deep upcoming draft.

"Why would they move Bryz" is a question that guys like Smashian and I wisely consider. As usual, you simply do not consider any side but Vancouver's when making proposals - confirmed by your Coburn, Couturier, and Simmonds idea. Bryzgalov is obviously a major roadblock to a deal with Philadelphia. I find it hard to believe that they'd want Luongo so bad that they'd be both willing to buyout Bryz and/or trade him at a deep discount, as well as part ways with whatever further consideration would be required to satisfy Gillis' demands for Luongo. I know it's fun to not think of these hard considerations from the other side's perspective when making proposals as a Canuck fan, but it is not reality.

As for Schroeder - I have always been high on him. You're again assuming that I think he's going to be a bust, because I'm some sort of "troll". I loved the pick when it happened. His production in the AHL was concerning, but, fundamentally, the skills are there. Great hockey sense, can skate, can pass. I like what I see, potential-wise.

Couturier will be a 1C or a 2C, not a 3C. He's too good for that.

I think you are forgetting that Bryz was signed as a UFA. If they traded him for a 5th round pick, they are up one 5th round pick - there is no "deep discount" in moving him. If they could get anything whatsover it would be a wise move. I have never suggested Bryz is a buyout candidate - he's a serviceable NHL goaltender, but perhaps not for a team that actually wants to contend to win a Cup. He'd be a good fit in Toronto. He is the definition of a cap dump. In any event, Schroeder and Ballard aren't scraps and they were part of the "other side" ie. my proposal you refer to as if it was for Luongo alone. Part of the "reality" you have revised and yet feel you have such a tight grasp of.

Unfortunately, Washington is not interested.

This has been confirmed by their local reporters, George McPhee, and even Mike Gillis, who apparently reached out to McPhee and apologized for the stir that he created.

McPhee: "We have not had one conversation about goaltending, and on TV they're talking about what prospect I'm going to give up. Well, I could never take [Luongo's] contract."

That's interesting King - but I smell a King paraphrase here - do you have a reference for this 'apology'?

In any event, I don't see Washington as a contender like some people here. I actually see being a lot like the Leafs - too many of their 'best' players are significantly underachieving - probably over-rated - if I were them I probably wouldn't be looking to add one or two players, I'd be looking to move players instead.

Anyway, regarding Vancouver's goaltending situation, keep dreaming, but Schneider is going nowhere.

Vancouver isn’t trading Cory Schneider, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.

Last week, Gillis said he hasn’t “been thinking about, thought of, or considered” trading Schneider.

The reality is that Bryz is a pretty good goalie - and they have him. Luongo's better, yes, but by so much that it would justify giving up franchise cornerstones like Couturier? I think not. It would be a real panic move for Philly to do this. Can't see it happening. If Bryz is traded somewhere else, OK, game on. But unless/until that happens, not a buyer, IMO.

Seriously, does being concerned with a lack of production make me a "hater"? I don't understand this. Jordan Schroeder was not exactly lighting up the AHL. To any reasonable and objective fan, that is worthy of mentioning. I don't know how or why you think this makes me "hate" him, because I'm just looking at the cold, hard numbers that are in front of me. 9 goals and 19 points in 30 games in the AHL after already playing 2 full seasons down there is not exactly encouraging, is it? Especially when you're 5'3" and you're really expected to generate goals.

while I do think MG is keeping the team in the loop, I am a little concerned about how this is starting to look to the rest of the league........especially UFA's he might want to take a run at in the summer. On the surface, it's looks like MG is not handling this well, or treating his goalies very well.

That said, I also think this is a bit of trend with owners and GM's flexing their muscles after the lockout........they have most of the power and it seems like more and more are using it with players.

They've referred to Gillis' apology on the Team earlier today, and Pierre McGuire just talked about it again. He called up McPhee to apologize for the hype that was created, because he knows that McPhee is presently in a tough enough spot already. Classy move, actually.

"Keep dreaming" - I don't care who gets traded. Damage has already been done, IMO. Should've been taken care of earlier. I still have the odds on Lu being moved v. Schneider @ 60/40.

Gillis did call McPhee after his appearance in Washington to talk about the stir it caused:

Craig Custance@CraigCustance

Mike Gillis reached out to George McPhee today, said wasn't his intention to create Luongo distraction in DC. McPhee appreciated the call.

McPhee on call today from Gillis: "That's a first-class thing to do."

I certainly hope not.

If Schneider's the guy, we need to coddle him like we coddled Luongo back when he was acquired. A guy like Holtby, Neuvirth, or even Reimer can get a start, get a shutout, and then the "hmmm, this guy needs more games!" crowd enters the foray. With Lu, we had Raycroft, LaBarbera, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting. Clear backups. That's what Schneider should get.

Archived