The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

My understanding of the new CBA (and as Gilman presented it on an interview)... is that if you retain salary, you have to retain the same proportion of cap space on that contract. The two are linked.

Hence, us being worse off by doing that. Why keep cap space on the books for a player we don't have anymore... that is worse than simply waiving him. This is only useful in the case of a Redden type contract where no one would pick him up on waivers. You can bet your last dollar that Luongo would have a dozen teams put in a claim for him on waivers and he wouldn't get past Columbus.

If you read the article you quoted, it even explains why the Canucks wouldn't do that in the Luongo example.

I wish you could retain EITHER cap OR salary as I think that would really help the trade market. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

Schneider/his agent is maybe as sick as most of the rest of us with MG's constant bull.... How there are so many teams interested and how he needs to wait for the right deal............If you get interest, surely you make things happen.

MG doesn't seem to know how to get something "worthwhile" done. Move him away from his "projects" and "futures" and he seems to struggle.

Part of the reason as I see it is he seems to look on the team as his "family" and finds it hard to part with anyone of worth for fear of screwing up.

This Luongo mess is one he created. In my and most others mind on here Luongo should never even have been on offer. He is the stud on this farm and MG/AV have complicated this goalie situation till it is ridiculous. Trade Schneider and settle the team down, for goodness sake.

My understanding of the new CBA (and as Gilman presented it on an interview)... is that if you retain salary, you have to retain the same proportion of cap space on that contract. The two are linked.

Hence, us being worse off by doing that. Why keep cap space on the books for a player we don't have anymore... that is worse than simply waiving him. This is only useful in the case of a Redden type contract where no one would pick him up on waivers. You can bet your last dollar that Luongo would have a dozen teams put in a claim for him on waivers and he wouldn't get past Columbus.

If you read the article you quoted, it even explains why the Canucks wouldn't do that in the Luongo example.

I wish you could retain EITHER cap OR salary as I think that would really help the trade market. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

The way this whole situation pans out is going to be the telling point onf MG as our GM.

If the wait is worthwhile and we get a solid return from whichever goalie and we win a cup, i could give a rats ass. preferebly this does get resolved sooner than later so the media can move on, maybe the media should just get banned if they are gonna ask retorical stupid redundant questions to pisss the team and players off.

If he waits too long, gets a lack luster return, the traded goalie goes on to have success(vezina, jennings, stanley cup/ conn smythe) and our return yields nothing. And we done get back to the cup finals. Then MG will get fired

So for MG this is the biggest move for him to make, if Sundin had signed that 2 year contract and made it impossible to resign the sedins and they signed elsewhere then i think MG would be fired already.

So lets see what you can do MG, I have liked some of your moves, but definitely not all. Also, havent been a fan of the way our coach handles the team when it comes down to the wire, so I hope if we fail to go far this year I hope MG looks in a new direction aswell.

Its his job to do that, it doesnt matter AV could win 900 games as our coach, who cares, all we want is a stanley cup winner and that parade downtown, by any means necessary

The way this whole situation pans out is going to be the telling point onf MG as our GM.

If the wait is worthwhile and we get a solid return from whichever goalie and we win a cup, i could give a rats ass. preferebly this does get resolved sooner than later so the media can move on, maybe the media should just get banned if they are gonna ask retorical stupid redundant questions to pisss the team and players off.

If he waits too long, gets a lack luster return, the traded goalie goes on to have success(vezina, jennings, stanley cup/ conn smythe) and our return yields nothing. And we done get back to the cup finals. Then MG will get fired

So for MG this is the biggest move for him to make, if Sundin had signed that 2 year contract and made it impossible to resign the sedins and they signed elsewhere then i think MG would be fired already.

So lets see what you can do MG, I have liked some of your moves, but definitely not all. Also, havent been a fan of the way our coach handles the team when it comes down to the wire, so I hope if we fail to go far this year I hope MG looks in a new direction aswell.

Its his job to do that, it doesnt matter AV could win 900 games as our coach, who cares, all we want is a stanley cup winner and that parade downtown, by any means necessary

Schneider/his agent is maybe as sick as most of the rest of us with MG's constant bull.... How there are so many teams interested and how he needs to wait for the right deal............If you get interest, surely you make things happen.

MG doesn't seem to know how to get something "worthwhile" done. Move him away from his "projects" and "futures" and he seems to struggle.

Part of the reason as I see it is he seems to look on the team as his "family" and finds it hard to part with anyone of worth for fear of screwing up.

This Luongo mess is one he created. In my and most others mind on here Luongo should never even have been on offer. He is the stud on this farm and MG/AV have complicated this goalie situation till it is ridiculous. Trade Schneider and settle the team down, for goodness sake.

Hey Smashian, Team 1040 just read a tweet or email something like, "Dear Leafs Fans, I now have more goals than Kessel this season. Signed, Chris Tanev."

Reference to Luongo to TO for a package that included Kessel; I wouldn't give TO Tanev for Kessel straight up.

The media is a joke, would be nice to just watch hockey without all their god damn drama. Such a piss off. Wasnt like this years ago, it was about the hockey, now its so much media build up and emphasis and talk on tv everything gets blown out of proportion and scrutinized to death, which isnt good for our team

You'd think reporters could find something to write about other than the non-story of Scheids & Lou!

The Goalie market is somewhat different in terms of how GM's perceive their value. You've got guys like Ken Holland that say they'd rather not spend on a goalie, you have GM's that don't want to spend on a top flight goalie because the rest of their team stinks. You have GM's that can't get the green light from Owners, others don't want to be the one that give the appearance of overpaying.

This leaves "timing" as the factor that will resolve the issue. Right now every team has a so called chance at making the playoffs, it is yet to be seen which teams will make the playoffs and still further down the road to see which teams might be able to go an extra round if they have a better situation in net.

One could argue that having both of our guys is better than a costly deadline deal.

Maybe Lou said I will waive my no trade but if I earn #1 minutes you give them to me.

Then we have the matter of comprehension, as far as mine goes I've heard over and over GMMG saying "only if it makes sense", I've heard Lou say whatever is best for the team and Schneids echo the same over and over.

When is the last time you've seen such raw emotion as the Canucks displayed last night with Tanev's GWG?

Is this really the mark of a team with huge dressing room issues?

We are like a bunch of little kids, desperately searching every little corner of the house to find what Mom & Dad bought us for X-mas.

I'd gamble on a deadline or draft floor deal this is when teams are selling hope to their fans.

The media is a joke, would be nice to just watch hockey without all their god damn drama. Such a piss off. Wasnt like this years ago, it was about the hockey, now its so much media build up and emphasis and talk on tv everything gets blown out of proportion and scrutinized to death, which isnt good for our team

Archived