The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Maybe it's contingent on FLA being able to find a place to dump Upshall.. for example PHX where they have cap space, and he's had success before. Also, with the new 'Burke' rule they don't need to trade ALL of the salary, so for instance:

To PHX: Scottie Upshall, cond. 4th round pick 2013

To FLA: $800,000 per year of the contract

PHX gets a free pick, but takes an overpaid player who may or may not be able to play the 3rd line there and then, all of the sudden FLA can make a move with VAN.

Schneider/his agent is maybe as sick as most of the rest of us with MG's constant bull.... How there are so many teams interested and how he needs to wait for the right deal............If you get interest, surely you make things happen.

MG doesn't seem to know how to get something "worthwhile" done. Move him away from his "projects" and "futures" and he seems to struggle.

Part of the reason as I see it is he seems to look on the team as his "family" and finds it hard to part with anyone of worth for fear of screwing up.

This Luongo mess is one he created. In my and most others mind on here Luongo should never even have been on offer. He is the stud on this farm and MG/AV have complicated this goalie situation till it is ridiculous. Trade Schneider and settle the team down, for goodness sake.

Realistically i believe Luongo will end up here until the trade deadline, he's being very well showcased just like Hodgson had been prior to last years deadline. I believe Gillis has put out specific packages to 5-6 teams and will hope that one of those teams meets that price, just like he put out 7 players that he would trade for Hodgson prior to having him traded.

I believe the asking price is a prospect, current impact top 6 forward and a first round pick. its a very steep price and thats why a deal hasn't been done to date. Florida, Toronto, Washington, NYI, and Columbus are the teams in the mix.

This is what I believe each team would need to give up. Not listing the first round pick as its equal to all teams:

Florida - Weiss and Bjugstad

Toronto - JVR and Kadri

Columbus - Dubinsky and Boone

Washington - Laich and Khusnetsov

NYI - Okposo and Strome

Huge price tag for each team. The most likely in my opinion are the Islanders....but only after they decide to buyout Dipietro. This decision can be made by the deadline with official buyout in the summer.

Something to chew on for you.

If Calgary continues to be out of the playoff running come the trade deadline, they've got that Miikka Kiprusoff guy who's got 1 year left on his deal with a cap hit of $5.3M but a cash outlay of $1.5M. Think teams like Florida, NYI, etc., would be interested in that? Probably a little more than a guy who's signed until 2022, no?

Then there's Detroit, who's not looking like a very strong team. Jimmy Howard is a UFA. He's popular in Detroit, and they might be crafty enough an organization to flip him at the deadline for something, and then go on to re-sign him in July.

Then there's Buffalo, who's got Ryan Miller with one year left on his deal. Same deal in Anaheim with J. Hiller.

Then there are the following UFA's: Backstrom, Khabibulin, and Mike Smith.

Finally, there's John Bernier still hanging around LA, and Ben Bishop/Robin Lehner hanging around Ottawa, who would probably all be a more ideal fit for one of the teams that are in the early stages of a significant rebuild (CBJ, NYI) than a guy like Bobby Lou.

Point? Gillis, by standing pat, is running the risk that some/all of these goaltenders become actively in play around the deadline. And what happens to the price of something if there's a sudden influx of people wanting to sell? Right - it drops.

Other than his slow starts I don't think Lou has ever taken a lot of flack in Van. Most 2nd half seasons he was in the top 3 NHL goalies. Comparing the two goalies I simply like Schneider's style more than Lou's. Over the long run his game should stand up better than Lou's. I could be 100% wrong as well.

My over riding thought with a Lou trade is what Van get's back. MG has repeatedly said a top 6, a prospect and a pic. It is a hard deal to put together as different teams don't always rank their players with the same value to their different orgs. As much as I want value in a Lou deal the term of his contract is a negative. If Gillis waits until Kesler and Booth are back and then re-evaluates his team the Canucks could be pushing the trade deadline. It could very well happen.

The beauty of sport is that there will always be winners and losers. The losers will always try to become winners. That is where Lou will come in!

Something to chew on for you.

If Calgary continues to be out of the playoff running come the trade deadline, they've got that Miikka Kiprusoff guy who's got 1 year left on his deal with a cap hit of $5.3M but a cash outlay of $1.5M. Think teams like Florida, NYI, etc., would be interested in that? Probably a little more than a guy who's signed until 2022, no?

Then there's Detroit, who's not looking like a very strong team. Jimmy Howard is a UFA. He's popular in Detroit, and they might be crafty enough an organization to flip him at the deadline for something, and then go on to re-sign him in July.

Then there's Buffalo, who's got Ryan Miller with one year left on his deal. Same deal in Anaheim with J. Hiller.

Then there are the following UFA's: Backstrom, Khabibulin, and Mike Smith.

Finally, there's John Bernier still hanging around LA, and Ben Bishop/Robin Lehner hanging around Ottawa, who would probably all be a more ideal fit for one of the teams that are in the early stages of a significant rebuild (CBJ, NYI) than a guy like Bobby Lou.

Point? Gillis, by standing pat, is running the risk that some/all of these goaltenders become actively in play around the deadline. And what happens to the price of something if there's a sudden influx of people wanting to sell? Right - it drops.

Realistically i believe Luongo will end up here until the trade deadline, he's being very well showcased just like Hodgson had been prior to last years deadline. I believe Gillis has put out specific packages to 5-6 teams and will hope that one of those teams meets that price, just like he put out 7 players that he would trade for Hodgson prior to having him traded.

I believe the asking price is a prospect, current impact top 6 forward and a first round pick. its a very steep price and thats why a deal hasn't been done to date. Florida, Toronto, Washington, NYI, and Columbus are the teams in the mix.

This is what I believe each team would need to give up. Not listing the first round pick as its equal to all teams:

Florida - Weiss and Bjugstad

Toronto - JVR and Kadri

Columbus - Dubinsky and Boone

Washington - Laich and Khusnetsov

NYI - Okposo and Strome

Huge price tag for each team. The most likely in my opinion are the Islanders....but only after they decide to buyout Dipietro. This decision can be made by the deadline with official buyout in the summer.

I just don't think it's as urgent as you're making it out to be.

AV and MG have both said they would ice the players that give them the best chance to win. That doesn't mean win that night. That means win today and tomorrow. In order to do that, they need the league to remember how good Lou is. The further away from the LA series the better in terms of return. The more Lou keeps winning, the more potential trade partners are going to realize that he is better than their current best, the more willing they will be to part with so called "untouchable" players.

It just never makes any sense to unload an asset in haste. Especially when showcasing that asset adds to its long term value.

If his trade value is aas low as some are saying, there is no harm in waiting, as the return just isn't going to be that much better even if you maximize your return. I happen to think the piece that's going to come back will be shockingly good.

Now, I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'm not.

This is coming from someone who has wanted Lou gone for years.

The tandem has done nothing but pay off thus far for the Canucks.

Knowing that the team has the option of playing the hotter of Luo and Schneids is pretty damn good winnng percentage potential.

For the goaltenders it's not merely downside either. Schneider has been able to develop knowing that Luongo is there - there is a plus side to developing behind Luongo - it's not simply that case of being held back. An opening night struggle like the Canucks faced and yet the pressure was not there for Schnneider to play through it. He had a few days to recompose and looked much better since. Neither goalie has had to play through a difficult stretch for some time now.

Luongo has actually started to look as if Cory is rubbing off on him - he's calmer, more composed, more efficient in his movement, playing deeper in his net...

I don't think the shelf life has expired quite yet.

Gillis and AV are still maximizing value - and imo were correct to wait this out - there will be a point at which it no longer makes any sense to hold out, but I think they'll identify that and do what needs to be done at that point, but thus far, there has simply been no reason to make haste.

Archived