The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Lol that's what I was thinking when he replied.. Can't remember who said it but the grasping at straws analogy makes more sense every day.

Coming back with Gustafson actually argues against his opinion of what about all these other goalies? That is exactly why they would want an elite goalie signed long term. Unless they are happy with the revolving door of goalie going in, casket coming out?

Gustavsson was highly thought-of at the time, that is a fact. He was supposedly dominating some sort of league in Sweden. He hasn't worked out. What's funny about this sort of discussion is that if the Canucks go on to sign this big guy from Yale, he'll be projected to be the next Lucic on these boards.

And what other goalies are there? Who have been the major UFA goaltenders of recent history that have passed on the Maple Leafs? Speaking of straw men...

Gustavsson was highly thought-of at the time, that is a fact. He was supposedly dominating some sort of league in Sweden. He hasn't worked out. What's funny about this sort of discussion is that if the Canucks go on to sign this big guy from Yale, he'll be projected to be the next Lucic on these boards.

And what other goalies are there? Who have been the major UFA goaltenders of recent history that have passed on the Maple Leafs? Speaking of straw men...

In which case the Canucks would have a 1.167 burden with the salary cap going down.. until 2017.

Or a 3.5 burden until 2015 if they decided to keep him.

Not good cap management.

GMMG referred to this earlier anyway, stating he didn't want a player he'd have to turn around and buy out.

Edit: And no, you don't know if the Canucks have to, in order to make a deal with FLA.

Remember when GMMG said there was a potential deal in place but that he didn't want to have to turn around and buy out a player?

I don't know if that was the order, but he's said both of those things.

Maybe it's contingent on FLA being able to find a place to dump Upshall.. for example PHX where they have cap space, and he's had success before. Also, with the new 'Burke' rule they don't need to trade ALL of the salary, so for instance:

To PHX: Scottie Upshall, cond. 4th round pick 2013

To FLA: $800,000 per year of the contract

PHX gets a free pick, but takes an overpaid player who may or may not be able to play the 3rd line there and then, all of the sudden FLA can make a move with VAN.

Cap dumps happen (see:Ehrhoff to Van, Lombardi from Toronto)

Anyway, there was a rumour that FLA couldn't afford Weiss, but Tallon has said "why would I move him? i'm trying to sign him". So, who really knows?

LOL LU is MILES BETTER than Mike Smith, the guy had one good season... Lu is consistently a winner. Did u see his numbers when he first got here and in Florida?? Forget the team infront, Lu is Elite! Always has been always will be.

If he gets dealt it will come back to haunt us, it will be the biggest mistake in Canucks history, trumping the Neely deal.

Another Lou scenario would be that Kesler and Booth come back and Van gets a 2nd line that consistantly scores. It takes the top 6 pressure off MG's immediate needs. A producing 2nd line is practically the last weakness in this roster. One could quibble about the 3C as well but Schroeder as earned a decent shot at sticking. If it were to play out this way MG might very well wait until the trade deadline or even thru until summer. It might not make either goalie very happy but a CUP would be a nice bonus!

After a 48 game schedule and the possibility of buying out two contracts there might be a better market come summer. I have stood by my next week trade prediction of Lou for 5 weeks now so I will ride that thru.

Archived