The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

LOL LU is MILES BETTER than Mike Smith, the guy had one good season... Lu is consistently a winner. Did u see his numbers when he first got here and in Florida?? Forget the team infront, Lu is Elite! Always has been always will be.

If he gets dealt it will come back to haunt us, it will be the biggest mistake in Canucks history, trumping the Neely deal.

What's your point? I never said that Gustavsson turned out to be good, did I? At the time, he was thought-of as an intriguing player. That's the reality.

Does the name Eric Walsky ring a bell? A lot of people were pretty excited when the Canucks signed him a few years ago, during all the rage of signing the undrafted collegiate free agent.

I agree with most of this. The last paragraph is too dramatic, but I do think it'll be a mistake to trade Roberto.

"Miles better" than Mike Smith - probably not. If you're Toronto, do you give up a significant package for Luongo (who's 3 years older than Smith), or do you sign Smith and keep all of your youth? Pretty easy decision.

Are you kidding. Tell me you are joking. Whats the holdup?

They have been going through the process with Jim Jamieson, one that would change the landscape. They have had much bigger things to deal with, but when it becomes time to address that they surely will, he is there MVP.

I'm sure a team like the Hawks would be interested in him. Smith would go there well before Toronto.

The holdup is that Mike Smith wants to cash in. And, to cash in, he'll have to go someplace other than Phoenix (like, say, Toronto).

As for Chicago - Corey Crawford has had an excellent start to the year. He was very good a couple of years ago. He outplayed Luongo in our playoff series back in 2011. I don't think Chicago is in the market for a goaltender, especially a UFA who will want a big contract like Smith.

Not sure about that. Detroit is treading water. Phoenix knows that they're probably not going to be able to sign Smith, anyway, and Buffalo, for whatever reason, is not winning. Buffalo has Enroth that they might be willing to hand the reigns to, if someone were to make them a strong offer for Miller and they were out of playoff contention.

Not the point. If you can instead sign a UFA like Smith, you obviously don't have to part ways with any of those guys.

Just because they've done a good job at prospect accumulation doesn't mean that they should or would do any favours for the Vancouver Canucks because they may be "able" to part ways with a high-end prospect or two.

Crawford actually didn't outplay Luongo, Luongo outplayed Crawford. And yes lets base everything off 1 playoff series. Holtby is looking great for the Caps too.

The thing Chicago has lacked and been desperate for is a #1 goalie, look at the contract they threw at Huet. Look at them being a contender for Roberto, that in itself tells the picture.

If Smith came available they would make every attempt to secure him.

LOL LU is MILES BETTER than Mike Smith, the guy had one good season... Lu is consistently a winner. Did u see his numbers when he first got here and in Florida?? Forget the team infront, Lu is Elite! Always has been always will be.

If he gets dealt it will come back to haunt us, it will be the biggest mistake in Canucks history, trumping the Neely deal.

Thanks for your insight, teams around the league probably laugh at us for trying to run our franchise goalie out of town. Lu's hardest critics are in his own "fan base." You don't know what you've got til its gone. Mark my words it will be a huge mistake if he gets dealt, not to mention we are ready to win NOW and Schneider would fetch a better return.

I believe Luongo was pulled twice in that series. Crawford was the better and more consistent goaltender. He was the one that looked like the veteran. Those games perhaps were past your bedtime, so here are Crawford's numbers from that series, FYI: 2.21 GAA, .927 SVP, 1 SO. 1 goal away from eliminating the President's Trophy winners as the 8th seed.

RE: the "#1 goalie". People said the same thing with Antti Niemi, and then they won a Cup with him. Corey Crawford has all the tools to be a very good NHL goaltender. I can't see Chicago being seriously interested in adding someone else unless he were to get injured.

Archived