The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT Canucks 3 Flames 2

Strawberries

The good, the bad, the ugly...

Kassian - Can we all agree that this kid has the makings of an incredible power forward? That goal was all him, and straight up hard work. He knows right where to go, and when to go there. Hits, fights, shootouts, good hands,....the Bertuzzi comparisons are starting to have some weight to them. I know its early still, but in my opinion, we know exactly what we had in Hodgson, solid playmaking center, nothing flashy, get his line mates involved, solid defence. With Kass, we already knew he was a physical beast, but there seems to be a much higher ceiling to his potential.

Tanev - He has been our best defender so far in my opinion. He is so incredibly calm under pressure and never seems to make a bad decision. How old is this kid again?

Bieksa - Almost single handedly cost us this game. Got caught up ice on both goals. He was the worst Canucks on the ice bar none, except for maybe...

Edler - What the hell is wrong with him? Really bad decisions with the puck, horrible passes up the middle. Garrison and him do not look in sync at all.

Schneider - A great bounce back game, and a statement made. He looked like a completely different person out there. Making if look effortless, well, except him playing the puck. Did anyone else yell at the screen everytime he left the net? Anyway, so good positionally, and so strong to the posts. And how great is he in the shootout?

Raymond - Our best forward not named Kassian. He has obviously worked on his core strength in the off season. Those stop start turns at full speed he would have been on his ass last year. But he was excellent breaking in and controlling the puck in the offensive zone. A couple of really great passes to set up team mates for shots. And that drag to snap shot picking the top corner was actually shockingly good. And he was going to the net, a lot. Here's hoping MayRay can continue his play.

Burrows - Maybe one of the most under rated players in the entire league. How smart is this guy. Can play left, right, and center? Not only did he hold it down, he played very well. :Great vision, tight passes...maybe him and Kesler need to switch spots when Kes comes back?

Schroeder - Did not look out of place at all, and his speed definitely translates to the NHL. Looked really good in his own end, was involved in play, solid passes, and didnt get caught out of position. Ok, yeah he got his first welcome to the big league bump, and got schooled on the holding sell. Looked very good on the PP, future PPQB? Which leads me to ...

AV- After all the crap that he has to deal with from the fans, how smart does he look with how he set up the lines? And even after Shroeder took the penalty, AV stayed with him and even rewarded him with time on the PP. I have no idea why he would put Daniel in the shootout, I guess to try to put the game in the hands of your best players, but they have no game when it comes to one on one.

Sedins - I really dont have much to say about them, as they were almost invisible. Obviously they will start to click as they always do, but this team needs that to happen sooner than later. Especially with Kes and Booth out indefinitely.

Random thoughts:

• Bieksa was brutal.

• Kassian was a beast all game. Strong on the boards and goes to the net. It looks like teams are collapsing more to defend him, opening up the points a bit.

• Schneids looked a little nervous early on (remember how he almost lost the puck in his crease) but got stronger as the game went on. Looked like the Cory we saw last year by the time over-time came around.

• Edler was OK, but if I see him make another freaking drop pass, I think I might murder a puppy.

• Schroeder looked out of sync early on but looked more and more comfortable as the game went on.

• Raymond still has jets and it's amazing how much he can back skaters up when he's flying.

• Ballard I thought had a very strong game...maybe our best defenceman along with Hamhuis tonight.

• Sedins look out of sync and slow but I expect that to change so not worried about them.

• Tanev was remarkably composed and was very steady.

But this night was about Kassian. Really reminded me of a young Bertuzzi in so many ways. Hopefully he can bring that more often.

Yikes another 2-goal lead given up to a NW div opponent :(

Guess it's going to take awhile for us to get our defensive lockdown game in order. That's the aspect of the game that takes the most team work and timing so naturally it's the last thing that'll fall into place after a sustained absense from the game.

Schneider didn't look 100% confident but he made some good saves and got better as the game went along

Loved Schroeder with his linemates. Hope he gets more chances to play

Loved Kassian's game

Sedins still looking like they're adjusting to what he brings to that line.

I like Kassian on the top line but I miss Burrows - he's less prominent now

Awesome plays by Hamhuis

Not so much by Bieksa, Garrison, and Edler

Good win. Hope we can get a few in regulation now

Heck of a wrister, too. Only question is who would play center. Either Kesler or Schroeder would have to move to the wing.

Speaking of wingers and centers, was anyone else surprised and impressed by Burrows playing center? I thought he made some really smart plays, had some great passes to set up his linemates, which usually isn't his role.

Kassian has always come up in the NHL impressive, but disappears around the 8-10 game mark. They key for him is consistency. It was Buffalo's major concern with Kassian. Consistency.

Edler is playing on the wrong side, so I'd cut him some slack as well. AV needs to flip Edler and Garrison.

Archived