The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT Canucks 3 Flames 2

Strawberries

Raymond was a bright spot and Kas is able to play with two of the League's best scorers.

Ballard is showing the last half of last year again and is a great mentor for Tanev.

One goal away from winless in 3 and this was a f Lames game,that team that can't and won't make the playoffs.

Let's hope there was some confidence built and the positives can be built upon.

Kassian has always come up in the NHL impressive, but disappears around the 8-10 game mark. They key for him is consistency. It was Buffalo's major concern with Kassian. Consistency.

Edler is playing on the wrong side, so I'd cut him some slack as well. AV needs to flip Edler and Garrison.

• Schroeder looked very good, in a way reminds me of Cammalleri, he has great speed and he is great at anticipating and making good plays and passes, and he will need to if he wants to stick at this level and he has that, he won some draws, was good on the forecheck, solid defensively and wasn't man handled down low, I like the way he is able to slow down the play and make a solid pass. definetely better than Ebbett, hopefully he gets put with better players, I think his playmaking skill could be put to better use. With all the criticisim it was a good 1st game for him IMO, can't wait to see more.

• Kassian was obviously a complete beast, no surprise to me, I knew he was capable of this. easily our best player thus-far this year, glad to see some of the haters jumping on the bandwagon.

• Ballard and Tanev, I thought they were very good, make great plays, and covered up for each other well, it is a shame we will probably have to move Ballard because I think with Tanev he is a very useful defensemen who can play important minutes very well.

• Schneider was solid, made the big saves when we needed it, I knew he would bounce back, great to see now he will only continue this now that he has his confidence IMO.

• Hamhuis was great, Bieksa was alright IMO, I think he was better than you guys think.

• Garrison was solid down low, Edler was a bit shaky.

• Sedins don't look like they have any rust, I thought they have been good every game, looking good once again.

Solid effort from the guys, now that we have confidence we just got build off this moving forward.

Raymond was a bright spot and Kas is able to play with two of the League's best scorers.

Ballard is showing the last half of last year again and is a great mentor for Tanev.

One goal away from winless in 3 and this was a f Lames game,that team that can't and won't make the playoffs.

Let's hope there was some confidence built and the positives can be built upon.

Random thoughts:

• Bieksa was brutal.

• Kassian was a beast all game. Strong on the boards and goes to the net. It looks like teams are collapsing more to defend him, opening up the points a bit.

• Schneids looked a little nervous early on (remember how he almost lost the puck in his crease) but got stronger as the game went on. Looked like the Cory we saw last year by the time over-time came around.

• Edler was OK, but if I see him make another freaking drop pass, I think I might murder a puppy.

• Schroeder looked out of sync early on but looked more and more comfortable as the game went on.

• Raymond still has jets and it's amazing how much he can back skaters up when he's flying.

• Ballard I thought had a very strong game...maybe our best defenceman along with Hamhuis tonight.

• Sedins look out of sync and slow but I expect that to change so not worried about them.

• Tanev was remarkably composed and was very steady.

But this night was about Kassian. Really reminded me of a young Bertuzzi in so many ways. Hopefully he can bring that more often.

The one thing I noticed about Kassian is that, despite his luck of getting 2 rebounds in the slot right on his stick for his goal (yes, it was lucky...), he was actually in a DIRTY SPOT for once. When's the last time we see a Canuck consistently go in this area? I hope Kassian builds on this and gets in the dirty areas more often. Burrows does it somewhat but he's not a power forward and not the same size as Kassian.

I think if the Canucks can play Kassian in the dirty spots with the Sedins and with his size imposing there, the canucks will have a whole new dimension to their offence that teams never took into account with our past teams.

The one thing I noticed about Kassian is that, despite his luck of getting 2 rebounds in the slot right on his stick for his goal (yes, it was lucky...), he was actually in a DIRTY SPOT for once. When's the last time we see a Canuck consistently go in this area? I hope Kassian builds on this and gets in the dirty areas more often. Burrows does it somewhat but he's not a power forward and not the same size as Kassian.

I think if the Canucks can play Kassian in the dirty spots with the Sedins and with his size is imposing there, the canucks will have a whole new dimension to their offence that teams never took into account with our past teams.

I don't think it was lucky at all.

He powered his way to the net into a quality spot, was hard on the puck getting off the shot that was blocked then staying with it and putting a nice shot by Kipper.

Also noticed he was too much for Calgary's best & biggest defenders downlow, & he made some great passes and great plays.

If he continues to use his size like this he will be a much bigger part of our team alot quicker than anyone thought, the guy has been amazing so far, hopefully it continues.

I'm not trying to bad mouth him at all, he's been among our best players so far this year and I'm insanely glad he's working out so far. Our team definitely would love a power forward. I have to disagree that he wasn't lucky though... the first rebound at least, the Calgary defender literally gloved him the puck RIGHT onto his stick in the slot. I mean, come on :P

But yeah, let's hope Kassian keeps the ball rolling. He's a crowd favourite already and our team could really benefit from him if he finds consistency.

PS: Eh the first rebound wasn't the slot one I was thinking of (that was the second), but it was still in the side circle with a prime scoring chance. And yeah, the Calgary D-man still gloved him a puck in a prime scoring spot... kinda lucky

I'm not trying to bad mouth him at all, he's been among our best players so far this year and I'm insanely glad he's working out so far. Our team definitely would love a power forward. I have to disagree that he wasn't lucky though... the first rebound at least, the Calgary defender literally gloved him the puck RIGHT onto his stick in the slot. I mean, come on :P

But yeah, let's hope Kassian keeps the ball rolling. He's a crowd favourite already and our team could really benefit from him if he finds consistency.

PS: Eh the first rebound wasn't the slot one I was thinking of (that was the second), but it was still in the side circle with a prime scoring chance. And yeah, the Calgary D-man still gloved him a puck in a prime scoring spot... kinda lucky

Schneider just has shootouts on lockdown. Even if Lu starts a game that goes to a shootout, Schneids should go in cold. I love Lu and want to see him in a Canucks jersey forever, but Schneids seriously has 1 on 0 locked. My coach would put me in cold when I played Midget AA if we had a shootout, even if our other G played the game. It was just obvious I was better 1 on 0. And we'd win. :lol:

Archived