#121 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

The good, the bad, the ugly...

Kassian - Can we all agree that this kid has the makings of an incredible power forward? That goal was all him, and straight up hard work. He knows right where to go, and when to go there. Hits, fights, shootouts, good hands,....the Bertuzzi comparisons are starting to have some weight to them. I know its early still, but in my opinion, we know exactly what we had in Hodgson, solid playmaking center, nothing flashy, get his line mates involved, solid defence. With Kass, we already knew he was a physical beast, but there seems to be a much higher ceiling to his potential.

Tanev - He has been our best defender so far in my opinion. He is so incredibly calm under pressure and never seems to make a bad decision. How old is this kid again?

Bieksa - Almost single handedly cost us this game. Got caught up ice on both goals. He was the worst Canucks on the ice bar none, except for maybe...

Edler - What the hell is wrong with him? Really bad decisions with the puck, horrible passes up the middle. Garrison and him do not look in sync at all.

Schneider - A great bounce back game, and a statement made. He looked like a completely different person out there. Making if look effortless, well, except him playing the puck. Did anyone else yell at the screen everytime he left the net? Anyway, so good positionally, and so strong to the posts. And how great is he in the shootout?

Raymond - Our best forward not named Kassian. He has obviously worked on his core strength in the off season. Those stop start turns at full speed he would have been on his ass last year. But he was excellent breaking in and controlling the puck in the offensive zone. A couple of really great passes to set up team mates for shots. And that drag to snap shot picking the top corner was actually shockingly good. And he was going to the net, a lot. Here's hoping MayRay can continue his play.

Burrows - Maybe one of the most under rated players in the entire league. How smart is this guy. Can play left, right, and center? Not only did he hold it down, he played very well. :Great vision, tight passes...maybe him and Kesler need to switch spots when Kes comes back?

Schroeder - Did not look out of place at all, and his speed definitely translates to the NHL. Looked really good in his own end, was involved in play, solid passes, and didnt get caught out of position. Ok, yeah he got his first welcome to the big league bump, and got schooled on the holding sell. Looked very good on the PP, future PPQB? Which leads me to ...

AV- After all the crap that he has to deal with from the fans, how smart does he look with how he set up the lines? And even after Shroeder took the penalty, AV stayed with him and even rewarded him with time on the PP. I have no idea why he would put Daniel in the shootout, I guess to try to put the game in the hands of your best players, but they have no game when it comes to one on one.

Sedins - I really dont have much to say about them, as they were almost invisible. Obviously they will start to click as they always do, but this team needs that to happen sooner than later. Especially with Kes and Booth out indefinitely.

#122 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Random thoughts:
  • Bieksa was brutal.
  • Kassian was a beast all game. Strong on the boards and goes to the net. It looks like teams are collapsing more to defend him, opening up the points a bit.
  • Schneids looked a little nervous early on (remember how he almost lost the puck in his crease) but got stronger as the game went on. Looked like the Cory we saw last year by the time over-time came around.
  • Edler was OK, but if I see him make another freaking drop pass, I think I might murder a puppy.
  • Schroeder looked out of sync early on but looked more and more comfortable as the game went on.
  • Raymond still has jets and it's amazing how much he can back skaters up when he's flying.
  • Ballard I thought had a very strong game...maybe our best defenceman along with Hamhuis tonight.
  • Sedins look out of sync and slow but I expect that to change so not worried about them.
  • Tanev was remarkably composed and was very steady.
But this night was about Kassian. Really reminded me of a young Bertuzzi in so many ways. Hopefully he can bring that more often.

Edited by MJDDawg, 24 January 2013 - 12:15 AM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#123 Tell Kelly I said hi

Tell Kelly I said hi

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

I thought Weise was going to score when he had all day to shoot late in the 3rd. If only his skill could match his newly-found confidence...
Posted Image

#124 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,882 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Yikes another 2-goal lead given up to a NW div opponent :(

Guess it's going to take awhile for us to get our defensive lockdown game in order. That's the aspect of the game that takes the most team work and timing so naturally it's the last thing that'll fall into place after a sustained absense from the game.

Schneider didn't look 100% confident but he made some good saves and got better as the game went along
Loved Schroeder with his linemates. Hope he gets more chances to play
Loved Kassian's game
Sedins still looking like they're adjusting to what he brings to that line.
I like Kassian on the top line but I miss Burrows - he's less prominent now
Awesome plays by Hamhuis
Not so much by Bieksa, Garrison, and Edler

Good win. Hope we can get a few in regulation now
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#125 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Heck of a wrister, too. Only question is who would play center. Either Kesler or Schroeder would have to move to the wing.

Speaking of wingers and centers, was anyone else surprised and impressed by Burrows playing center? I thought he made some really smart plays, had some great passes to set up his linemates, which usually isn't his role.

Schroeder undoubtedly. Schroeder actually passes the puck. Kesler could still take faceoffs, and bring the physical element. If you play with the Sedins you have to be able to pass the puck as well as shoot. Burrows never fails to surprise me, is there anything he cant do?

I just have one more thing to ask for, and I know its a lot to ask, but can we have a 2nd line of Perry, Burrows, Kesler? Please?

#126 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Tanev is looking like a young future Norris candidate! He and Ballard might be the top pairing at the moment. ::D

#127 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Tanev is looking like a young future Norris candidate! He and Ballard might be the top pairing at the moment. ::D

He needs to work on his shots though, he's got one of the worst shot in the leauge lol.

#128 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

He needs to work on his shots though, he's got one of the worst shot in the leauge lol.

He needs to go back to the hockey store and ask if his shot comes in mens.

#129 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

If he continues to play D like he has been, he can never take another shot and I would be totally fine with it.

#130 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

going to be a lot of kassian jerseys soon

Good thing I got my Kassian jersey before it was cool. B)
Haha.

Posted Image

#131 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

I know eh? lol his 'slapshot' traveled like 5mph.

#132 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Get Weise off that line, he's average and quite frankly not good enough

Great game by Ballard, Kassian, Sedins, Schneids, Tanev

Bieksa and Garrison were pretty bad though

#133 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,576 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Always nice to see young talent succeed, besides the obvious guy, I was quite content with Schroeders' performance as well.
Posted Image

#134 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

not a bad game, nice to get our first w of the season.

Cccccccccc-CoWho?????? :lol:

#135 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Kassian has always come up in the NHL impressive, but disappears around the 8-10 game mark. They key for him is consistency. It was Buffalo's major concern with Kassian. Consistency.

Edler is playing on the wrong side, so I'd cut him some slack as well. AV needs to flip Edler and Garrison.

#136 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Kassian has always come up in the NHL impressive, but disappears around the 8-10 game mark. They key for him is consistency. It was Buffalo's major concern with Kassian. Consistency.

Edler is playing on the wrong side, so I'd cut him some slack as well. AV needs to flip Edler and Garrison.

He didn't get the same coaching and support as he will here. Sedin's are terrific mentors, as is Burrows, and many others on this veteran team. Did you see the youtube of the team's reaction to his goal...he is becoming not only a fan favorite but a team favorite, don't underestimate the power of confidence.

But agree, consistency has been what is missing- but he has talent, is willing to work hard, has team support, and is gaining confidence. As long as he continues to work hard at his game (which the team will instill in him), he can be a great as he wants to be.

He has a higher ceiling that Bertuzzi guys, this kid could be another Neely.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 24 January 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#137 Tell Kelly I said hi

Tell Kelly I said hi

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

That whiff on his attempted one timer was hilarious and sad at the same time. He could be our next Willie Mitchell though, so no complaints from me.
Posted Image

#138 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

I wish we could morph Tanev and Connauton together. :ph34r:

SYvE9NH.gif

#139 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

That whiff on his attempted one timer was hilarious and sad at the same time. He could be our next Willie Mitchell though, so no complaints from me.

lol, yea he's one of my faves.

#140 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

I said it before the game and he delivered, Mason Raymond is a Flame killer. Great game from Kass and Shroeder looked awesome out there. Nice to see the team not fold after giving up that game-tying goal.

aXmDa9t.gif

#141 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Raymond was a bright spot and Kas is able to play with two of the League's best scorers.
Ballard is showing the last half of last year again and is a great mentor for Tanev.
One goal away from winless in 3 and this was a f Lames game,that team that can't and won't make the playoffs.
Let's hope there was some confidence built and the positives can be built upon.

#142 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Kassian was just a puppy with Buffalo. He is still very young.
Posted Image

#143 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,940 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Kassian is going to be a difference maker in the playoffs if he keeps this up.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#144 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Kassian was just a puppy with Buffalo. He is still very young.

That's why people need to realize that it's too early to compare him to Cam Neely or other greats. It's been two games. Power Forwards don't usually breakout until their late 20's. Too much overreaction from these boards. People need to calm down.

Kassian also performed well for the first dozen games in the AHL, then disappeared off the map. If people are going to start throwing expectations on the kid, they are just setting themselves up.

Edited by Rey, 24 January 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#145 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

• Schroeder looked very good, in a way reminds me of Cammalleri, he has great speed and he is great at anticipating and making good plays and passes, and he will need to if he wants to stick at this level and he has that, he won some draws, was good on the forecheck, solid defensively and wasn't man handled down low, I like the way he is able to slow down the play and make a solid pass. definetely better than Ebbett, hopefully he gets put with better players, I think his playmaking skill could be put to better use. With all the criticisim it was a good 1st game for him IMO, can't wait to see more.
  • Kassian was obviously a complete beast, no surprise to me, I knew he was capable of this. easily our best player thus-far this year, glad to see some of the haters jumping on the bandwagon.
  • Ballard and Tanev, I thought they were very good, make great plays, and covered up for each other well, it is a shame we will probably have to move Ballard because I think with Tanev he is a very useful defensemen who can play important minutes very well.
  • Schneider was solid, made the big saves when we needed it, I knew he would bounce back, great to see now he will only continue this now that he has his confidence IMO.
  • Hamhuis was great, Bieksa was alright IMO, I think he was better than you guys think.
  • Garrison was solid down low, Edler was a bit shaky.
  • Sedins don't look like they have any rust, I thought they have been good every game, looking good once again.
Solid effort from the guys, now that we have confidence we just got build off this moving forward.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 24 January 2013 - 01:18 AM.

zackass.png

#146 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

Raymond was a bright spot and Kas is able to play with two of the League's best scorers.
Ballard is showing the last half of last year again and is a great mentor for Tanev.
One goal away from winless in 3 and this was a f Lames game,that team that can't and won't make the playoffs.
Let's hope there was some confidence built and the positives can be built upon.

After all the JS bashing you have done what did you think?

He was better than Ebbett for sure, your thoughts? (and try to be objective)

zackass.png

#147 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

Did you see the youtube of the team's reaction to his goal...he is becoming not only a fan favorite but a team favorite, don't underestimate the power of confidence.

It's as if, you just figured that out. Every player in the NHL respects a guy that is willing to take to drop the gloves, defend the stars, and be physical. It was the same when Bert was here. It's something the Red Wings and Don Cherry talks a lot about, all the time. Bob Probert was a epitome of the type of Enforcer that fights for his teammates, and everyone loved to see him be success. It's something the Canucks have lacked since Bertuzzi. It's not necessary his skill that they miss, though it's a bonus, it's a enforcer.

Kids still too young though, you wouldn't want him fighting and taking on everyone though. You'd want a guy on the 4th line to do those duties. Besides, once a player gets a good contract, fighting usually gets taken out of their career. Look at Bieksa and Kesler. Better hope a guy like Alexander Mallet is going to be a guy, in the next 2-3 years.

If your going to compare Kassian to any NHL player, It's Lucic. Since draft day, and they still say it now. Kassian has more skilled, but Lucic has the killer instinct. Kassian hasn't been the same physical beast he was in junior, he's matured and more smarter now. Still, has many questions in his game though.

Edited by Rey, 24 January 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#148 Bench_Boss

Bench_Boss

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Random thoughts:

• Bieksa was brutal.
  • Kassian was a beast all game. Strong on the boards and goes to the net. It looks like teams are collapsing more to defend him, opening up the points a bit.
  • Schneids looked a little nervous early on (remember how he almost lost the puck in his crease) but got stronger as the game went on. Looked like the Cory we saw last year by the time over-time came around.
  • Edler was OK, but if I see him make another freaking drop pass, I think I might murder a puppy.
  • Schroeder looked out of sync early on but looked more and more comfortable as the game went on.
  • Raymond still has jets and it's amazing how much he can back skaters up when he's flying.
  • Ballard I thought had a very strong game...maybe our best defenceman along with Hamhuis tonight.
  • Sedins look out of sync and slow but I expect that to change so not worried about them.
  • Tanev was remarkably composed and was very steady.
But this night was about Kassian. Really reminded me of a young Bertuzzi in so many ways. Hopefully he can bring that more often.

:sadno:

#149 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

The one thing I noticed about Kassian is that, despite his luck of getting 2 rebounds in the slot right on his stick for his goal (yes, it was lucky...), he was actually in a DIRTY SPOT for once. When's the last time we see a Canuck consistently go in this area? I hope Kassian builds on this and gets in the dirty areas more often. Burrows does it somewhat but he's not a power forward and not the same size as Kassian.

I think if the Canucks can play Kassian in the dirty spots with the Sedins and with his size imposing there, the canucks will have a whole new dimension to their offence that teams never took into account with our past teams.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 24 January 2013 - 01:32 AM.

#150 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

The one thing I noticed about Kassian is that, despite his luck of getting 2 rebounds in the slot right on his stick for his goal (yes, it was lucky...), he was actually in a DIRTY SPOT for once. When's the last time we see a Canuck consistently go in this area? I hope Kassian builds on this and gets in the dirty areas more often. Burrows does it somewhat but he's not a power forward and not the same size as Kassian.

I think if the Canucks can play Kassian in the dirty spots with the Sedins and with his size is imposing there, the canucks will have a whole new dimension to their offence that teams never took into account with our past teams.

I don't think it was lucky at all.

He powered his way to the net into a quality spot, was hard on the puck getting off the shot that was blocked then staying with it and putting a nice shot by Kipper.

Also noticed he was too much for Calgary's best & biggest defenders downlow, & he made some great passes and great plays.

If he continues to use his size like this he will be a much bigger part of our team alot quicker than anyone thought, the guy has been amazing so far, hopefully it continues.

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.