The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To Everyone Who Hates Raymond

Youth_Movement

I like Raymond. I like how, even though he was having issues scoring he still played well defensively.

The guy has always tried. He wasn't always successful, but he put in the effort. He might have been a bit more successful at body-checking if he was a few inches taller and 40 pounds heavier, but he used his speed to forecheck, and I thought he did well.

Getting a goal this early in the season may well give him back some of the confidence he has lost in the lost two seasons.

This being said, I don't see a future here for Raymond. The team is fairly well stacked (current injury issues aside) for top-9 wingers. Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Kassian, Higgins, Hansen plus whatever might show up in the assumed Luongo trade will all get more time than Raymond.

I wish him well, so he can get a decent contract with his next team, whether that is as a UFA or if he is traded.

regards,

G.

I think everyone was teased by his really good season, and dissapointed when he failed to follow it up in a similar fashion. Then his back injury changed everything. By now I think most of us realize that there are a lot of moronic/heartless fans here. I'm sure the players understand this and dont let it destroy their confidence. When an idiot gives me greif about something they know ver little about, I dont pay them any mind. Hoping these professional athletes do the same.

I think everyone was teased by his really good season, and dissapointed when he failed to follow it up in a similar fashion. Then his back injury changed everything. By now I think most of us realize that there are a lot of moronic/heartless fans here. I'm sure the players understand this and dont let it destroy their confidence. When an idiot gives me greif about something they know ver little about, I dont pay them any mind. Hoping these professional athletes do the same.

This was funny ...from http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/01/24/and-boom-goes-the-dynamite-flames-at-canucks-january-23rd-3-2-canucks-shootout/

"- Mason “Ice Man” Raymond once again showed why his agent argued that Raymond should be paid based purely on his performances against Calgary. Mason Raymond has, for reasons unbeknownst to me, chosen the Calgary Flames as the one team he decides to be Pavel Bure against. Well, Pavel Bure minus the moves. And the illegal elbows. And the passing. OK, Raymond plays really well against Calgary is all I am saying. The craziest part about Raymond’s game tonight? He went into the SLOT. And then he SCORED. Raymond, slot, scored. I think we need to tattoo that on his face so he sees it in the mirror every night. Granted, it was on the powerplay, so the slot was open, BUT I DON’T CARE. Even on the powerplay Raymond tries to avoid the slot because he’s pretty sure the outer faceoff circle is trying to catch him with his head down…."

hahaha...btw I am a Raymond Fan myself

Seriously?

The puck did not "squirt" out to him, it was a pass from Daniel. Raymond got himself into a scoring position in anticipation of a pass and once he had the puck, pivoted and put a shot into the top corner of the net. The fact that he wasn't able to walk into it shows that the shot had good velocity.

It's funny that people still go on about how Raymond "sucked before the back injury", but they forget that he spent most of the previous season trying to bounce back from a broken hand.

Last night Gary Valk made a good point about how Raymond was a player who benefitted from the long layoff, due to the lockout. What we're seeing is a completely healthy Mason Raymond. He's passing and shooting with more confidence than he has for the last few seasons, while still maintaining the defensive ability that kept him in the lineup, even when his offense was suffering.

There's a reason the Canucks re-signed him, even though the majority of Canuck fans and media thought he should be let go.

I agree with you op. I don't think it's just that Raymond has got the time to heal and come back to play. Raymond used to play awkwardly even before he was injured after his 25 goal season. I just think that that particular season, he was actually given a chance to have the puck. After that, Kesler seems to want to be the leader on that line and not pass the puck to his team mates much and one of them which includes Raymond and perhaps Booth. But Kesler and Booth are buddies from before. I think Kesler's over confidence might be bringing Raymond down, i'm not sure. After Kesler's departure to injury, Raymond seems to be more positive and open-minded and trying different things.

I like Kesler, but i think he needs to have a change in attitude and stop his diving and arrogance at times.

Even though Raymond's SO attempt wasn't that great.. I think it was a lot better than Edler's or Daniel's..

I don't post much on here due to the negative posts i quite frequently see on here. But kudos for saying it out OP. There really shouldn't be any whipping boy. But we get frustrated because we want our own players to perform better, and not suck. It's like supporting them in a different way. Just don't give up on them easily.

Raymond has a better wrist shot than Kesler.

This was last year, when he was still getting back to form.

If Raymond is capable of that kind of shot while not even being completely healed and 100% fit, who knows what he's capable of?

Kesler has a quick release and can pack some velocity, but accuracy-wise it's nowhere near as close as where Raymond can place that disc.

Don't think I'm suddenly homering Raymond after the Cgy goal. I always knew he had a good shot. I honestly believe Raymond is the closest thing to a sniper that we have since Naslund.

Archived