30 replies to this topic

#1 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Is it me or are media overhyping this team cause of the Parise and Suter signings? Up front they're not bad, there's some depth there now that they never had before, nothing scary though, but on defence after Suter, there's not a whole lot, and Backstrom is inconsistent. I don't see this team as a major contender at all, but they will be a lower tier playoff team who won't get anywhere. Thoughts?
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

On paper.. Maybe.

But they are playing well right now, I think Parise's addition has sparked Heatley which will only make them all the more dangerous.

Perhaps on the back-end they lack a bit of depth but there forward group is good, they have great goaltending and if they continue to play like they are I think they make the playoffs and are right there with us in the running for the division.

zackass.png

#3 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

I don't think anyone expects Minnesota to be cup contenders right now, and I haven't heard anyone say that they are. They were a bad team last year, and now they are a bubble playoff team now. A few years down the road, and they might compete, signing Suter and Parise doesn't make them contenders, but give them a solid core to build around for the next decade. With several of young forward prospects with upside coming up including Granlund, Coyle, Phillips, and many more, there's lots to like, D needs fixing up, and goal tending doesn't seem to be a big issue whether they re-sign Backstrom or have Harding take over. There's lots of potential, and it's a team that is going to only go up.

Still better than those teams with no direction, like the leafs team that switch core players every year.

Edited by Rey, 24 January 2013 - 02:52 AM.

#4 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

On paper.. Maybe.

But they are playing well right now, I think Parise's addition has sparked Heatley which will only make them all the more dangerous.

Perhaps on the back-end they lack a bit of depth but there forward group is good, they have great goaltending and if they continue to play like they are I think they make the playoffs and are right there with us in the running for the division.

They're a playoff team, but a healthy Vancouver lineup blows them away IMO. Canucks are deep upfront,on defence and in goal, just a matter of the newer players gelling, and staying afloat while Kesler and Booth are out.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#5 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

They're a playoff team, but a healthy Vancouver lineup blows them away IMO. Canucks are deep upfront,on defence and in goal, just a matter of the newer players gelling, and staying afloat while Kesler and Booth are out.

Can't compare them to the Canucks. Canucks are a team that are contending right now. 2-3 years and the Canucks might have to blow everything up. Minnesota's got their core now, and now it's just all about the developing process now. The hardest part for a young team is to find those core players, and Minnesota was able to acquire them. Just look at how hard it is for Calgary to get rid of Iginla. They are desperate to compete because they still have Iginla and Kipper, that they sign any player and hope for the best to the point that they will have a hell of a time rebuilding.

Edited by Rey, 24 January 2013 - 03:00 AM.

#6 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Bouchard - Granlund - Setoguchi

I think that top 6 can compete with our top 6. Then they also have solid 3rd and 4th lines with Clutterbuck, Cullen, Brodziak, Mitchell, Kenopka, Powe, exc.

So forwards I would say is even (In comparison with us)

Defense we have a clear advantage IMO.

Goaltending is close, I think I would still give the advantage to us as Backstrom has struggled with consistency but if Harding plays the way they he is capable of I think there Tandem is a very solid tandem that isn't really any worse than ours if at all.

If I had to break it down:

Offense: Vancouver = Minnesota
Defense: Vancouver > Minnesota
Goaltending: Vancouver (Slightly) > Minnesota

zackass.png

#7 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Bouchard - Granlund - Setoguchi

I think that top 6 can compete with our top 6. Then they also have solid 3rd and 4th lines with Clutterbuck, Cullen, Brodziak, Mitchell, Kenopka, Powe, exc.

So forwards I would say is even (In comparison with us)

Defense we have a clear advantage IMO.

Goaltending is close, I think I would still give the advantage to us as Backstrom has struggled with consistency but if Harding plays the way they he is capable of I think there Tandem is a very solid tandem that isn't really any worse than ours if at all.

If I had to break it down:

Offense: Vancouver = Minnesota
Defense: Vancouver > Minnesota
Goaltending: Vancouver (Slightly) > Minnesota

They can't compete with a healthy Canucks forward. Their 2nd line is awful. Granlund is still a rookie, Setoguchi is like Raymond, and PM Bouchard hasn't been the same since his injury. It's a real soft, and small forward group.

Remind you that Minnesota tries to play a defensive game, that makes their goaltender look a bit better. That Defense they have, aside from Suter is pretty damn awful. Doesn't help that Marco Scandella is injured. They definitely don't have the typical defensive shut down guys that they had last year in Zanon and Schultz. It'll look better when Scandella is back, and Brodin is recalled, but still - rather inexperienced.

Edited by Rey, 24 January 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#8 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

They can't compete with a healthy Canucks forward. Their 2nd line is awful. Granlund is still a rookie, Setoguchi is like Raymond, and PM Bouchard hasn't been the same since his injury. It's a real soft, and small forward group.

Remind you that Minnesota tries to play a defensive game, that makes their goaltender look a bit better. That Defense they have, aside from Suter is pretty damn awful.

Rookie? So? Have you seen how Tarasenko has been lighting it up? He is already one of the Blues biggest offensive threats and Granlund is right there, he has been touted as one of if not the best player outside the NHL for awhile, he is better than you think, Bouchard is playing better, the concussion problems have been tough but if he plays like he can he is still a useful player and Seto is better than Raymond, unless you are talking about the Raymond we saw tonight, then maybe it is a closer comparison.

Then a 3rd line of Brodziak - Cullen - Clutterbuck rounds out a solid top 9, they have a good forward group, could put it up against that of any team in the league IMO.

zackass.png

#9 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

Rookie? So? Have you seen how Tarasenko has been lighting it up? He is already one of the Blues biggest offensive threats and Granlund is right there, he has been touted as one of if not the best player outside the NHL for awhile, he is better than you think, Bouchard is playing better, the concussion problems have been tough but if he plays like he can he is still a useful player and Seto is better than Raymond, unless you are talking about the Raymond we saw tonight, then maybe it is a closer comparison.

Then a 3rd line of Brodziak - Cullen - Clutterbuck rounds out a solid top 9, they have a good forward group, could put it up against that of any team in the league IMO.

Tarasenko is on the 3rd line with sheltered minutes. You also can't compare Tarasenko, who's been playing with men for 5 years and has has a mans body. Granlund is still in a kids body. Tarasenko has 20+ pounds on Granlund. Add the fact that Tarasenko is playing against weaker opponents, and has better line mates. Yes, St.Louis Blue's third line is better than The Wild's 2nd line.

Minnesota's bottom six has a LOT of players who lack discipline and that starts with Clutterbuck. Konopka is always in the penalty box for something stupid. Cullen isn't the same player he was in Carolina. His defensive game has vanished. Wild fans want him on the 4th line but he's force to occasionally play on the 2nd line because they have a weak offensive forward core.

Cullen and Setoguchi do not have the offensive skill to play with Granlund. Setoguchi is exactly like Raymond. Uses his speed, but doesn't know how to do anything else. Another incredibility frustrating player to watch.

Edited by Rey, 24 January 2013 - 03:35 AM.

#10 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

They have the most potent 1st line in the Conference on paper, and so far it has looked completely dominant.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#11 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

Koivu between Parise & the Heater is pretty scary, that is one big line to play against.

#12 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,117 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

may they should give zucker and larsson a chance with granlund :D

#13 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Pretty good forward group, but paper-thin on defense.

RIP LB RR PD

#14 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I thought they'd disappoint, but they seem decent so far. Parise has passed my expectations thus far.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#15 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,088 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I thought they'd disappoint, but they seem decent so far. Parise has passed my expectations thus far.

Parise passed my expectations about 5 years ago. However I do think Suter is overrated and is not worth the money he got.
Posted Image

#16 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,846 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

The media is trying to make a story out of nothing by claiming certain teams are totally overhauled by single trades or draft picks. Does Parise help their offense? Yeah, but how much worse can an offense get than LAST?! The Wild was TERRIBLE on offense last year, a long way off from 2nd last (the Kings). But where Minnesota really falls down is their defense and goaltending. They played the most defensive trap game in the league and executed it so poorly that despite the lowest GF, they were 3rd worst in the league for GF-GA, ahead of only the Islanders and Columbus. Does Suter single-handedly fix that? Hell no.

For those thinking those 2 guys are somehow inspiring the rest of the team to play better, remember when halfway through the season Minnesota had the most points in the league? How did that work out? 81 points in an awful division and missed the playoffs. They're too streaky, the exact opposite of what makes the Canucks successful.

#17 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

They are playing well but it is too early to call them overrated.

canucks141.png

#18 LimitedEdition

LimitedEdition

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Can't compare them to the Canucks. Canucks are a team that are contending right now. 2-3 years and the Canucks might have to blow everything up. Minnesota's got their core now, and now it's just all about the developing process now. The hardest part for a young team is to find those core players, and Minnesota was able to acquire them. Just look at how hard it is for Calgary to get rid of Iginla. They are desperate to compete because they still have Iginla and Kipper, that they sign any player and hope for the best to the point that they will have a hell of a time rebuilding.

Of course you can compare them to the Canucks. The OP asked if they're a contender right now, not in 2-3 years.

#19 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

This.

/=S=/

#20 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

This. Only time will tell.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

Of course you can compare them to the Canucks. The OP asked if they're a contender right now, not in 2-3 years.

Doesn't that answer the question though? No offense, but if you are serious, and I've seen many dumb things but for me personally, that's stupid post of the year written all over it.

#22 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

Doesn't that answer the question though? No offense, but if you are serious, and I've seen many dumb things but for me personally, that's stupid post of the year written all over it.

http://forum.canucks...g-zack-kassian/
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#23 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

As a Wild fan, I see a team that is still trying to become a team on offense (aside from the first line.)

The defence is still young and learning. Look at how many of their D-men are just recently playing a full season the past 2-3 years. The core of the D is all new/prospects still learning.

Goaltending looks like we have our "for now" goalies with our future still coming up.

So to the subject of this thread... I don't think the Wild are "overrated" as long as it's in the context of being a decent team that could/should make the playoffs depending on how long it takes the rest of the team to become a team. The longer that takes, the less likely the chances of making playoffs (this year.) Are they on contention for a Cup? Doubt it. Could they make a run? Stranger things have happened.

#24 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Parise is over rated.

MIN got an awesome Dman in Suter and a solid 2 way player in Parise, but Parise is way over rated.

The Wild has a lot of talent coming up over the next few years. They will be a very good team sin the next couple of years.

#25 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Their top six is devastating, but even with Suter the blueline is very shaky and the goaltending only average.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#26 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Parise is over rated.

MIN got an awesome Dman in Suter and a solid 2 way player in Parise, but Parise is way over rated.

The Wild has a lot of talent coming up over the next few years. They will be a very good team sin the next couple of years.

Parise is overrated? Are you high? He's had points in each of their 4 games, and two of those were multi-point efforts including 2 goals last game. Without Parise the Devils sure wouldn't have made the playoffs last year.
Posted Image

#27 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

Lacking depth on D.

Hopefully if they make playoffs they dont have many injuries, or it'll be a super quick exit.

#28 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Parise is overrated? Are you high? He's had points in each of their 4 games, and two of those were multi-point efforts including 2 goals last game. Without Parise the Devils sure wouldn't have made the playoffs last year.

To say NJD wound't have made the playoffs without him is a stretch to say the least.

A good player can be over rated. Parise is a good player, Not a $98 mill with $35 mill over 3 years player. He's not a superstar. There was an advanced stat comparison done of Semin vs Parise, They are essentially the same player, Semin even has an edge. This is defensively and offense, all facets of the game.

Edited by WHL rocks, 27 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#29 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Parise scored 69 Pts last year. To say NJD wound't have made the playoffs without him is a stretch to say the least.

A good player can be over rated. Parise is a good player, Not a $98 mill with $35 mill over 3 years player. He's not a superstar. There was an advanced stat comparison done of Semin vs Parise, They are essentially the same player, Semin even has an edge. This is defensively and offense, all facets of the game.

I agree that Parise is overrated. That's nothing on Parise, because I think he's a fantastically talented player with an excellent work ethic, and a solid leader. It's the media that overhypes him.

But, with that being said, you do have to take those slightly overblown intangibles into consideration comparing him with Semin (who I think is top 5 in terms of pure offensive talent), because you can see Parise's leadership and determination demonstrated throughout his career. He's gone deep in tournaments and playoffs at every level as a major leader on the teams.

On-topic...I think Minnesota has been overrated coming into the season. By the end of the season I think they might squeak in the playoffs, but I don't see them being a top team in the West like I've seen suggested so many times.
Posted Image

#30 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Parise scored 69 Pts last year. To say NJD wound't have made the playoffs without him is a stretch to say the least.

Parise is twice the player Semin is...
He puts up similar offensive numbers, but is a great leader and plays an excellent 2-way game as well.
You could actually argue he was a superstar, as he's probably one of the top 20 forwards in the game.
Either way, he is definitely overpaid.

In the end, Minnesota got 2 phenomenal players this offseason, but their defensive depth is absolute garbage. I wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs. I figure they'll be somewhere in the 7-10 spot in the West.

Edited by Jägermeister, 27 January 2013 - 01:31 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.