Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Which media outlet will report the Luongo trade first?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 bear2

bear2

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

Which media outlet do you think will, or should be obligated to, report the Luongo trade first? Team 1040? TSN? Bob Mackin? David Pratt? Farhan Lalji?

Is Mike Gillis obligated to scoop Team 1040 first since they have the Canucks radio rights? Or could Mike Gillis scoop TSN and Dreger or Mackenzie first BEFORE first scooping to Team 1040?

Imagine this scenario.

Someone who works at Vancouver Airport, or even just someone who happens to be at Vancouver airport at just the right time, or a Taxi or bus driver at the airport, sees Luongo at the Airport when the rest of the team is NOT at the airport (at the rink or off for the day).

That individual who sees Luongo at Vancouver airport calls LIVE ON AIR to Team 1040 or to Dave Pratt, and reports he / she saw Luongo at the Airport WITHOUT any teammates, live on air, and muses that Luongo is off to another city (trade has been agreed to with another team).

Should that media outlet pursue the story ON AIR at that point or laugh the fan off?

I'm sure media outlets have discussed how to handle this scenario, it could happen.

I'd imagine Team 1040 is seriously pissed Mike Gillis gave Cam Cole that trade rumour instead of going directly to Scott Rintoul first

#2 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Dreger will.

#3 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

POPULAR

Which media outlet do you think will, or should be obligated to, report the Luongo trade first? Team 1040? TSN? Bob Mackin? David Pratt? Farhan Lalji?

Is Mike Gillis obligated to scoop Team 1040 first since they have the Canucks radio rights? Or could Mike Gillis scoop TSN and Dreger or Mackenzie first BEFORE first scooping to Team 1040?

Imagine this scenario.

Someone who works at Vancouver Airport, or even just someone who happens to be at Vancouver airport at just the right time, or a Taxi or bus driver at the airport, sees Luongo at the Airport when the rest of the team is NOT at the airport (at the rink or off for the day).

That individual who sees Luongo at Vancouver airport calls LIVE ON AIR to Team 1040 or to Dave Pratt, and reports he / she saw Luongo at the Airport WITHOUT any teammates, live on air, and muses that Luongo is off to another city (trade has been agreed to with another team).

Should that media outlet pursue the story ON AIR at that point or laugh the fan off?

I'm sure media outlets have discussed how to handle this scenario, it could happen.

I'd imagine Team 1040 is seriously pissed Mike Gillis gave Cam Cole that trade rumour instead of going directly to Scott Rintoul first

Guys, let's put our heads together. Nobody goes home until we resolve this pressing query.

#4 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

What if he doesn't get traded? Who will report that?
Posted Image

#5 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Depends also where he gets traded. If it's TO, Dreger and Bobby Mac will be all over this before anyone else.

#6 Beeekz

Beeekz

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

I don't think we need to worry about who's going to report it first... Need to see if GMMG is true to his word about a potential deal in place. For all we know, we're keeping Lou and this has all been part of some sick millionaires entertainment.

#7 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,398 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Twitter?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#8 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Most likely, Bobby Mac.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#9 One one two

One one two

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Samjam.

Pretty redundant topic, though -- I don't see why it matters.

5ExRXNw.png?1

#10 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

My money is on Mike Gillis and Roberto Luongo breaking the story through social media network.

One thing for sure, if Pratt breaks the story, he will have plagiarized the story from another writer/journalist and put his name to it as if it were his own. Don't let Pratt sit next to you in the exam room.

#11 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Twitter?

Yeah i think so Gillis did it with the Edler deal, just to stick it to the media.

#12 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Samjam.

Pretty redundant topic, though -- I don't see why it matters.

Exactly, it's already been reported, he was just way early.
Posted Image

#13 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Dace Nonis

#14 laxgoalie

laxgoalie

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Eklund...

Just kidding. Honestly I think it will probably be Bob Mckenzie
Posted Image Posted Image

#15 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,262 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Probably Dreger.

307mg00.jpg

#16 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I don't think we need to worry about who's going to report it first... Need to see if GMMG is true to his word about a potential deal in place. For all we know, we're keeping Lou and this has all been part of some sick millionaires entertainment.

"...true to his word?..."

I guess you didn't see the intermission interview with Cam Cole. He clarified that it was taken a bit out of context while he paraphrased Gillis on some of the challenges of trading. In other words, before he "quoted" Mike, he should have used the words "for example" so that it read "For example, we have a deal in place but it is dependant upon the other team doing something with one of their players. This is why it's not so simple in putting a deal together." If he had worded it like that, Team 1040 would have had nothing to beat into submission all day Tuesday and Wednesday. Cam also noted that, if it was an honest to goodness true statement, he would have lead the story off with that gem instead of it being buried in paragraph 27.

It's no wonder this whole situation is out of control. Social media on steroids and the general inability for the masses to comprehend things at face value.

There is no deal in place. It doesn't mean there won't be one, it just means you have to stop wishing it would get here like Christmas morning.
Posted Image

#17 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

No one, because there will be nothing to report.

Edited by BUREV, 24 January 2013 - 09:09 AM.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#18 cabinessence

cabinessence

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

There was a lot of talk going on on various media outlets. Didn't see the GMan last night on TV but had some comments as well:

Posted Imagecabinessence, on 06 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I have a feeling they will score on the power play...cue bass solo!!
I called it!! I called it!!! Cue more bass solos!!!!!

#19 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

I will

#20 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

The Mike Gillis Times.

#21 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Luongo has been traded?

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#22 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

CNN and CNBC will make the announcment first and Fox will say something completely different came out of Florida. After months of negotiations and several recounts, Luongo will start for us in the playoffs and Schnieder will be traded.

#23 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

CNN and CNBC will make the announcment first and Fox will say something completely different came out of Florida. After months of negotiations and several recounts, Luongo will start for us in the playoffs and Schnieder will be traded.

You forgot the absentee ballots, and Schneider being the chair of the committee to determine that he loses the starting job to Luongo
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#24 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

You forgot the absentee ballots, and Schneider being the chair of the committee to determine that he loses the starting job to Luongo

and to be technical, Luongo's brother is in charge of ruling over counting the ballots.

#25 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,613 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

In unrelated news, we're on to version 5 of the Luongo trade discussion thread.

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Welcome to the boards, OP, but make sure you have a look around and see all the great things already in full swing on the different sub-forums.

Except for Cultimultural Noise, that place is full of looneys.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#26 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

and to be technical, Luongo's brother is in charge of ruling over counting the ballots.

hahahahaha or is Luongo's Brother in charge of the swing vote?

In unrelated news, we're on to version 5 of the Luongo trade discussion thread.

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Welcome to the boards, OP, but make sure you have a look around and see all the great things already in full swing on the different sub-forums.

Except for Cultimultural Noise, that place is full of looneys.

www.twitter.com
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#27 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

dregs and bob as always
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#28 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Sportsnet is my guess, Rogers being a main sponsor....
then again twitter seems the outlet of choice for all non media reporters
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#29 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Imagine this scenario.

As mentioned on the sportsnet interview during the game, the trade rumour Cam Cole was talking about, was fleshed out by the media out of context. Gillis was explaining what has happened with some of the offers before with Cam Cole, and the media put their usual spin on it, and assumed that Gillis was pointing to a current offer that was close to being completed.

Ideally the news should come out to the media outlets who they trust the most, and who are the biggest for hockey (ie. tsn) at roughly the same time. Unless they wanna boost one guy's career and pass it to them first with a one hour head start :P

#30 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,789 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Strombone1
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.