128 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Brian Kilmeade, Fox News Host, Suggests Only 'Corrupt' Scientists Believe In Climate Change

A Fox News host notorious for his skepticism made a controversial suggestion about climate scientists during an on-air debate this week.
Fox's Brian Kilmeade became testy during his radio show Tuesday when a caller argued that almost all scientists believe climate change is a real phenomenon, according to Raw Story.
The caller, named "John," was referring to the portion of President Barack Obama's inauguration address in which he said, "We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations."
John called climate change, the "most important thing we need to be concerned about," to which Kilmeade replied sarcastically, "This morning it snowed, only because there was pollution in China."
When John protested that 98 percent of climatologists say climate change is real, Kilmeade shot back: "You mean the corrupt ones? You mean the corrupt ones who admit they skew their findings?”
A study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2010 surveyed 1,372 climate researchers and found that "97–98 [percent] of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field support the tenets of [anthropogenic climate change] outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change."
Nearly a dozen of the world's most prominent national science academies have acknowledged that the world's climate is changing as a result of increasing atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases, mostly from the burning of fossil fuels.
Kilmeade, however, has remained a staunch skeptic.
In October, he called global warming a scam in an interview with Dr. Alex Berezow.
Kilmeade isn't the first Fox News personality to dispute the scientific consensus behind climate change. In May, Fox News contributor Deroy Murdock said there were "hundreds of thousands" of scientists still debating the issue.
While Murdock's claim does not seem to be backed up by fact, a study conducted by The Yale Project on Climate Change Communication found that while 70 percent of Americans believe the world is warming, only about half accept its human origin, NPR reports.

And this is what's wrong with America. So...the world is warming...ok..now...if you can accept that...why on earth can you NOT accept that the warming is of human origin? Where the hell does Fixed Noise FIND these idiots they put on the air?

http://mediamatters.org/video/2013/01/22/foxs-brian-kilmeade-suggests-only-corrupt-clima/192344
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#2 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

This is whats right about America. People have freedom of speech to debate what they beleive in.
Posted Image

#3 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

POPULAR

This is whats right about America. People have freedom of speech to debate what they beleive in.

First of all...you don't "believe" in climate change, you observe it. It's real, it's taking place, and no matter how much Fox News kicks and screams, some day EVERYONE is going to come to the stark realization that humans are destroying this planet's ecosystem. Stupidity is what's wrong with America, not the freedom of speech to debate what they believe in. Thanks for missing the point.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#4 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Climate change is a naturally reoccurring phenomenon.
Mankind isn't the cause of it, though he is definitely helping it.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#5 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

There is legitimate criticism of anthropogenic climate change, furthermore of climate models that act as a predicator of future climate. That being said, I don't see why one would attack climatologists like this. There aren't many scientists in fields like this one who go out of their way to try and use their science as an instrument of policy change. This tends to come from political movements (namely asinine social movements like the green movement) riding the coattails of scientist findings.

#6 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

There is legitimate criticism of anthropogenic climate change, furthermore of climate models that act as a predicator of future climate. That being said, I don't see why one would attack climatologists like this. There aren't many scientists in fields like this one who go out of their way to try and use their science as an instrument of policy change. This tends to come from political movements (namely asinine social movements like the green movement) riding the coattails of scientist findings.

Right...well I certainly will not claim that humans are the root cause of the accelerated global warming but as Heretic stated it really cannot be denied that humans are indeed exacerbating it.
Posted Image

#7 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hahahaha, 'believe' in.

Next they'll be debating about gravity!

#8 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Fox News has huge amounts of money, and suggesting climate change doesn't exist is influential on a lot of uneducated & vulnerable Americans. Murdoch should have to apologize to people who are already highly effected (climate refugees).

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 24 January 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#9 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Zzzzzzzzz. Fox news this fox news that. Eff america this eff america that. Canadians (let alone uninformed cdcers) lecturing about what is wrong with America has grown tiresome for me.
Posted Image

#10 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Zzzzzzzzz. Fox news this fox news that. Eff america this eff america that. Canadians (let alone uninformed cdcers) lecturing about what is wrong with America has grown tiresome for me.

I'm an AMERICAN, Dude.
Posted Image

#11 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Climate change is a naturally reoccurring phenomenon.
Mankind isn't the cause of it, though he is definitely helping it.

You don't know that at all. That is just what you choose to believe.

I tend to agree, but I'm not putting it out there as gospel.

Climate change is definitely happening. No bones about it. The cause of which is what is up for debate, but judging by the overwhelming number of studies and reports that point to us as the catalyst I would have to lean towards us being the culprit.

Yes, people and corporations use the topic to make money and manipulate consumers, but that doesn't mean that it's a lie.

I hate it when people try to argue that scientists are conspiring as if there's only 6 frick'n scientists in the world.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#12 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

My "source" was the article I posted in the opening. I don't know what I'm talking about? Really? I observe first hand American stupidity on a daily basis and I AM THE ONE who doesn't know what he's talking about? You want to sit there and tell me that you DO deny that humans are exacerbating the acceleration of this cycle of climate change?
Posted Image

#13 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hahahaha, 'believe' in.

Next they'll be debating about gravity!

It's just a theory man. Evolution too. Sex creating babies has been proven, however not in cases of rape. The body has a was of shutting that down.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#14 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

It's just a theory man. Evolution too. Sex creating babies has been proven, however not in cases of rape. The body has a was of shutting that down.

I sincerely hope this is a joke. If it is, great satire...if it isn't...WTF?
Posted Image

#15 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

You don't know that at all. That is just what you choose to believe.

I tend to agree, but I'm not putting it out there as gospel.

Climate change is definitely happening. No bones about it. The cause of which is what is up for debate, but judging by the overwhelming number of studies and reports that point to us as the catalyst I would have to lean towards us being the culprit.

Yes, people and corporations use the topic to make money and manipulate consumers, but that doesn't mean that it's a lie.

I hate it when people try to argue that scientists are conspiring as if there's only 6 frick'n scientists in the world.

You don't know that I don't know that at all.

Look...we've had many discussions on CDC about climate change...yes...I should have said "I believe as other scientists have theorized that climate change is a naturally reoccurring phenomenon and that mankind has contributed to the current one"...

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#16 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Yes, lol. Sarcasm all the way.

Heretic:

I know that there is about a 98.5% chance that you are not a scientist, because of your extreme belief in the bible. Not in a higher power, but in the bible. Big difference.

If you're not a pretty damn high up scientist, then you shouldn't say for sure.

You're not a scientist... are you? You don't seem objective enough to me.

I guess it's weird of me to make these points seeing as I agree, but speaking in absolutes is not the way people with real info speak unless it is patently provable.

I'm being nit picky, aren't I? I was up late with pukey kids, sorry.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#17 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

You do know about the rape quote by what's his republican face, right? He wasn't being sarcastic.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#18 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Whether or not we're causing it through emmissions, the government is doing nothing to curb emmissions. On the contrary, there are plans for more and more huge pipelines to get even more of that stuff out of the ground.

The US report on climate change isn't about what to do to slow it down or reverse it. It's to take note of it's inevitable impact on us. And mainly the new economic opportunities that arise from it. The opening of the arctic ocean to development and shipping lanes is a good first step to added economic prosperity.

Couple concerns:

The melting of the polar ice caps. How bad will the flooding be?

Adding more fresh water to the world's oceans. How much will that worsen the extreme weather we've being seeing lately.

And lastly, what steps will some countries take to curb / reverse climate change, despite the lack of action the US will take? 'Eco-terrorism' will be a concern in coming decades.

So hopefully new economic opportunities are enough to offset all these costs.
Posted Image

#19 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yes, lol. Sarcasm all the way.

Heretic:

I know that there is about a 98.5% chance that you are not a scientist, because of your extreme belief in the bible. Not in a higher power, but in the bible. Big difference.

If you're not a pretty damn high up scientist, then you shouldn't say for sure.

You're not a scientist... are you? You don't seem objective enough to me.

I guess it's weird of me to make these points seeing as I agree, but speaking in absolutes is not the way people with real info speak unless it is patently provable.

I'm being nit picky, aren't I? I was up late with pukey kids, sorry.

No, I'm not a scientist. The probability is next to zero that you are one - why? Why would a scientist waste his time talking on a hockey forum?

When I was a kid - I wanted to be a scientist. Had chemistry sets, telescope and the Tom Swift novels were my favourite books.

Yes, I'm a Christian, been one for over 6 years now - but it was my objectivity that led me there (see it took my 43 years to get there - but that's another story).

You say not to talk in absolutes - but you infer that because I believe in God that I can't be objective?
So...are you saying that if you are a Christian then you can't be objective nor scientific?
That sounds like an absolute to me. :)

I'm going to be 50 this year Posted Image and I haven't lived in a cave all these years.
I have read a lot, experienced a lot, and seen a lot in this world.

So please be objective and don't stereotype me just because I believe in something that you don't.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being defensive or lashing out.

Posted Image

#20 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Whether or not we're causing it through emmissions, the government is doing nothing to curb emmissions. On the contrary, there are plans for more and more huge pipelines to get even more of that stuff out of the ground.

The US report on climate change isn't about what to do to slow it down or reverse it. It's to take note of it's inevitable impact on us. And mainly the new economic opportunities that arise from it. The opening of the arctic ocean to development and shipping lanes is a good first step to added economic prosperity.

Couple concerns:

The melting of the polar ice caps. How bad will the flooding be?

Adding more fresh water to the world's oceans. How much will that worsen the extreme weather we've being seeing lately.

And lastly, what steps will some countries take to curb / reverse climate change, despite the lack of action the US will take? 'Eco-terrorism' will be a concern in coming decades.

So hopefully new economic opportunities are enough to offset all these costs.

I don't understand your first point.
Are you saying more pipelines = more emissions?
The stuff is going to come out of the ground anyways.
Pipelines produce less emissions then other transportation methods do they not?

Almost a quarter of all CO2 emissions is coming from China, with the US at 18% or so...and Europe, with all it's green initiatives is third @ 14% of the total CO2 emissions for the world.

I disagree that governments aren't doing anything - I think they are - maybe not as fast as some would like - but they're not doing nothing.

Canadian government started a process back in 2008 to "cut our greenhouse gas emissions an absolute 20% by 2020".

Back in 2010, President Barack Obama announced that the Federal Government will reduce its greenhouse gas (GHG) pollution by 28 percent by 2020.

Posted Image

#21 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I don't understand your first point.
Are you saying more pipelines = more emissions?
The stuff is going to come out of the ground anyways.
Pipelines produce less emissions then other transportation methods do they not?

Almost a quarter of all CO2 emissions is coming from China, with the US at 18% or so...and Europe, with all it's green initiatives is third @ 14% of the total CO2 emissions for the world.

I disagree that governments aren't doing anything - I think they are - maybe not as fast as some would like - but they're not doing nothing.

Canadian government started a process back in 2008 to "cut our greenhouse gas emissions an absolute 20% by 2020".

Back in 2010, President Barack Obama announced that the Federal Government will reduce its greenhouse gas (GHG) pollution by 28 percent by 2020.

Yeah how's that going?

#22 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Yeah how's that going?

Nice and slow?

Table ES 1 – Canadian GHG Emissions and Government Measures (Mt CO2e)
2005 2010 2015 2020
Emissions – Assuming No Government Measures
(2011) 740 718 784 850
Emissions – with Existing Government measures
(2012 update)* 740 692 700 720
* Includes the contribution of LULUCF in 2015 and 2020.
Last year, Canada’s GHG emissions were projected to be 850 Mt in 2020 under a
scenario assuming no government measures to reduce emissions. Taking into account
existing measures of federal, provincial and territorial governments, it was projected
that emissions would be 785 Mt in 2020. This reduction of 65 Mt represented one
quarter of the reductions needed to meet Canada’s target of 607 Mt. This year, GHG
emissions are now projected to be 720 Mt in 2020, as a result of all the developments
outlined in this report. The gap between the initial projected business-as-usual GHG
emissions in 2020 (850 Mt) and the 607 Mt target now has been closed by 130 Mt – one
half of the way to meeting Canada’s target. Upcoming federal policies, in particular
oil and gas regulations, along with further provincial measures, will further contribute
to the additional 113 Mt required for Canada to meet its commitments under the
Copenhagen Accord.

Doesn't cut and paste nice, see page 4 of:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/Publications/253AE6E6-5E73-4AFC-81B7-9CF440D5D2C5%5C793-Canada's-Emissions-Trends-2012_e_01.pdf

Posted Image

#23 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Whether you believe in climate change or not, no one can argue that we don't abuse our planet. We should fix that first.

#24 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Whether you believe in climate change or not, no one can argue that we don't abuse our planet. We should fix that first.

I agree...but we can't even stop abusing each other - how are we going to stop abusing something so big as our planet?

Posted Image

#25 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I agree...but we can't even stop abusing each other - how are we going to stop abusing something so big as our planet?

We can't and it won't happen. There are too many morons having babies

#26 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

You do know about the rape quote by what's his republican face, right? He wasn't being sarcastic.

^This. Just start to google 'legitimate' and you'll see the first suggestion to come up is 'legitimate rape' - that'll get you more information than you ever wanted about idiocy in government.

Apparently despite being American the OP doesn't actually hear about all the stupid things people on FOX News say. I do, but the only reason I do is because Jon Stewart is kind enough to compile it all for me in a hilarious half hour.

That's all FOX News is good for. We know they're going to say stupid things, and yet we still care when they do it. Unless you're hoping to reach some Tea Party members on CDC to get them to watch real news, this falls under the 'yawn' category.

Edited by elvis15, 24 January 2013 - 11:14 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#27 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,954 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Just to add perspective:

Ah, George ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#28 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Just to add perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arbpu1xKAow

Ah, George ..

LOL - that one and the "Saving the planet" one has that and more:

Edited by hockeyville88, 24 January 2013 - 06:11 PM.
Profanity in video

Posted Image

#29 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

No, I'm not a scientist. The probability is next to zero that you are one - why? Why would a scientist waste his time talking on a hockey forum?
Because he likes hockey, lol silly.
When I was a kid - I wanted to be a scientist. Had chemistry sets, telescope and the Tom Swift novels were my favourite books.

Yes, I'm a Christian, been one for over 6 years now - but it was my objectivity that led me there (see it took my 43 years to get there - but that's another story).

You say not to talk in absolutes - but you infer that because I believe in God that I can't be objective?
So...are you saying that if you are a Christian then you can't be objective nor scientific?
That sounds like an absolute to me. :)
I think you're word twisting. I said that most scientists aren't Christian, and also that you don't seem objective enough to be a scientist, so you draw your conclusions where you may, but that is far from absolute.
I'm going to be 50 this year Posted Image and I haven't lived in a cave all these years.
I have read a lot, experienced a lot, and seen a lot in this world.

So please be objective and don't stereotype me just because I believe in something that you don't.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being defensive or lashing out.
You were, but I led you there.

MirandaKerr.jpg

#30 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I have posted this a few times in other threads. I think it deserves a repost in this thread. Here is Creationist Scientist and US Congressman Paul Broun (who was on the Science Committee):

He isn't much worse than ex-chairman of the science committee Ralph Hall who said "we can't control what God controls".
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.