The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fox News Host Claims only "Corrupt Scientists" Believe in Climate Change

Brian Kilmeade, Fox News Host, Suggests Only 'Corrupt' Scientists Believe In Climate Change

A Fox News host notorious for his skepticism made a controversial suggestion about climate scientists during an on-air debate this week.

Fox's Brian Kilmeade became testy during his radio show Tuesday when a caller argued that almost all scientists believe climate change is a real phenomenon, according to Raw Story.

The caller, named "John," was referring to the portion of President Barack Obama's inauguration address in which he said, "We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations."

John called climate change, the "most important thing we need to be concerned about," to which Kilmeade replied sarcastically, "This morning it snowed, only because there was pollution in China."

When John protested that 98 percent of climatologists say climate change is real, Kilmeade shot back: "You mean the corrupt ones? You mean the corrupt ones who admit they skew their findings?”

A study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2010 surveyed 1,372 climate researchers and found that "97–98 [percent] of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field support the tenets of [anthropogenic climate change] outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change."

Nearly a dozen of the world's most prominent national science academies have acknowledged that the world's climate is changing as a result of increasing atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases, mostly from the burning of fossil fuels.

Kilmeade, however, has remained a staunch skeptic.

In October, he called global warming a scam in an interview with Dr. Alex Berezow.

Kilmeade isn't the first Fox News personality to dispute the scientific consensus behind climate change. In May, Fox News contributor Deroy Murdock said there were "hundreds of thousands" of scientists still debating the issue.

While Murdock's claim does not seem to be backed up by fact, a study conducted by The Yale Project on Climate Change Communication found that while 70 percent of Americans believe the world is warming, only about half accept its human origin, NPR reports.

And this is what's wrong with America. So...the world is warming...ok..now...if you can accept that...why on earth can you NOT accept that the warming is of human origin? Where the hell does Fixed Noise FIND these idiots they put on the air?

http://mediamatters.org/video/2013/01/22/foxs-brian-kilmeade-suggests-only-corrupt-clima/192344

There is legitimate criticism of anthropogenic climate change, furthermore of climate models that act as a predicator of future climate. That being said, I don't see why one would attack climatologists like this. There aren't many scientists in fields like this one who go out of their way to try and use their science as an instrument of policy change. This tends to come from political movements (namely asinine social movements like the green movement) riding the coattails of scientist findings.

There is legitimate criticism of anthropogenic climate change, furthermore of climate models that act as a predicator of future climate. That being said, I don't see why one would attack climatologists like this. There aren't many scientists in fields like this one who go out of their way to try and use their science as an instrument of policy change. This tends to come from political movements (namely asinine social movements like the green movement) riding the coattails of scientist findings.

You don't know that at all. That is just what you choose to believe.

I tend to agree, but I'm not putting it out there as gospel.

Climate change is definitely happening. No bones about it. The cause of which is what is up for debate, but judging by the overwhelming number of studies and reports that point to us as the catalyst I would have to lean towards us being the culprit.

Yes, people and corporations use the topic to make money and manipulate consumers, but that doesn't mean that it's a lie.

I hate it when people try to argue that scientists are conspiring as if there's only 6 frick'n scientists in the world.

Whether or not we're causing it through emmissions, the government is doing nothing to curb emmissions. On the contrary, there are plans for more and more huge pipelines to get even more of that stuff out of the ground.

The US report on climate change isn't about what to do to slow it down or reverse it. It's to take note of it's inevitable impact on us. And mainly the new economic opportunities that arise from it. The opening of the arctic ocean to development and shipping lanes is a good first step to added economic prosperity.

Couple concerns:

The melting of the polar ice caps. How bad will the flooding be?

Adding more fresh water to the world's oceans. How much will that worsen the extreme weather we've being seeing lately.

And lastly, what steps will some countries take to curb / reverse climate change, despite the lack of action the US will take? 'Eco-terrorism' will be a concern in coming decades.

So hopefully new economic opportunities are enough to offset all these costs.

Yes, lol. Sarcasm all the way.

Heretic:

I know that there is about a 98.5% chance that you are not a scientist, because of your extreme belief in the bible. Not in a higher power, but in the bible. Big difference.

If you're not a pretty damn high up scientist, then you shouldn't say for sure.

You're not a scientist... are you? You don't seem objective enough to me.

I guess it's weird of me to make these points seeing as I agree, but speaking in absolutes is not the way people with real info speak unless it is patently provable.

I'm being nit picky, aren't I? I was up late with pukey kids, sorry.

Whether or not we're causing it through emmissions, the government is doing nothing to curb emmissions. On the contrary, there are plans for more and more huge pipelines to get even more of that stuff out of the ground.

The US report on climate change isn't about what to do to slow it down or reverse it. It's to take note of it's inevitable impact on us. And mainly the new economic opportunities that arise from it. The opening of the arctic ocean to development and shipping lanes is a good first step to added economic prosperity.

Couple concerns:

The melting of the polar ice caps. How bad will the flooding be?

Adding more fresh water to the world's oceans. How much will that worsen the extreme weather we've being seeing lately.

And lastly, what steps will some countries take to curb / reverse climate change, despite the lack of action the US will take? 'Eco-terrorism' will be a concern in coming decades.

So hopefully new economic opportunities are enough to offset all these costs.

Archived