The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fox News Host Claims only "Corrupt Scientists" Believe in Climate Change

Well yeah and that's the problem man...it isn't the populace that doesn't want to make contingency plans...it's the government and all their red herring nonsense like gun control and whatever else they can put forth to try and distract us from the real issues, like the energy crisis, etc. They don't want to spend money on energy solutions...oh no...they'd rather keep us dependent on foreign oil so they can keep getting paid. I ****ing HATE this country's government, man. Both parties. Everyone is so damn slimy it's disgusting.

Right. Agreed.

So, what to do? Throw our hands up and do nothing but get on the treadmill they provide for us?

Or do the citizens start taking the initiative based on their expectation of the potential results of global warming? Do they give up their six figure salary to move to a smaller community and put their money where their mouth is?

We can continue to believe in the myth of exponential growth to our peril. It's a personal choice.

First of all...you don't "believe" in climate change, you observe it. It's real, it's taking place, and no matter how much Fox News kicks and screams, some day EVERYONE is going to come to the stark realization that humans are destroying this planet's ecosystem. Stupidity is what's wrong with America, not the freedom of speech to debate what they believe in. Thanks for missing the point.

We'd first have to educate a good number of them on global warming and show them exactly what we are potentially dealing with here...however...we'd have to do it in a way that the average American would get the gist of it...you know...dumb it down...make it simple as possible, but no simpler...Sadly I think the vast majority are going to choose option A....just because it's the easiest solution...to do nothing.

I can only speak for my peer group here in BC but many are becoming more educated about tools that are important to survival that were never taught to us, like craft making, nutrition and food production. This is being done on a grassroots level with zero help from our governments. I'm not sure where in the US you are but I would recommend you find like minded people to help share info with and start making your own plans. Emergency preparedness is, I'll say it again, a personal choice.

So I guess the next question is, what are you doing to prepare?

Everyone continues to argue about the cause but spend no time talking about how we are to adapt to the situation, man-made or not, if we are going to survive other than in small pockets.

If it's a natural occurrence, check out what happened last time. Are we ready for that?

Whether it's man-made or not may be the least important issue of the two if this speeds up much at all.

I can only speak for my peer group here in BC but many are becoming more educated about tools that are important to survival that were never taught to us, like craft making, nutrition and food production. This is being done on a grassroots level with zero help from our governments. I'm not sure where in the US you are but I would recommend you find like minded people to help share info with and start making your own plans. Emergency preparedness is, I'll say it again, a personal choice.

So I guess the next question is, what are you doing to prepare?

The cause is very much relevant, because you can't deal with the problem effectively unless you know what's causing it.

If it were due to say the sun increasing in brightness, to mitigate it you can only rely on adaptation and geo-engineering, which has its cost and problems. Furthermore you don't know how quickly you'll have to implement these changes, because the sun is unpredictable given our current understanding. How do you prepare for the unknown?

Since we know almost certainly it is due to human emissions, we have additional tools such as carbon sequestration or transitioning away from a carbon based economy. More importantly, we can give reasonable estimations how quickly and how much will it warm, which is very important information when it comes to cost benefit analysis.

The analogy is that you can't treat a patient unless you know what the problem is. You can't fix a company if you don't know why it is losing money.

Everyone continues to argue about the cause but spend no time talking about how we are to adapt to the situation, man-made or not, if we are going to survive other than in small pockets.

If it's a natural occurrence, check out what happened last time. Are we ready for that?

Whether it's man-made or not may be the least important issue of the two if this speeds up much at all.

Spend time arguing over social politics while the enemy is at the gates. :picard:

I think we start by raising the dialectic. The world doesn't need everyone to agree to come up with contingency plans. Personally, the US is not the be all, end all of the discussion. The stats you provide are completely US centric. Europe and Asia have some smart people too.

I think we start, as Canadians, studying how we can relocate, feed, house and water our citizens in smaller population centres away from the major cities. Designing modes of living, albeit more subsistence based, that are more adapted to a hostile environment should be our primary goal. This planning doesn't need to be expensive.

Why is that? If you can anticipate the effects, and have no bearing on the causes or antidotes, then you can make contingency plans. The analogy doesn't really work being that you can, on a personal level, make corollary plans that cover both root causes.

I, personally, would be heading north. Possibly towards the coast.

Food source, fresh water, shelter, and seclusion are the things I would look for.

I think typical agriculture would be difficult to depend on, so wild meat and wild plants would be best.

Fish is probably the easiest meat to get without a rifle, and whether I had one or not ammo would be limited, so it would be only used out of necessity.

I think the key would be to live as close to how the natives lived before we got here, rather than trying to lean on modern inventions and stocks.

Archived