The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's happening with realignment?

Ray Canuck

I've been wondering that myself.

I know the NHLPA turned down the proposal that was tabled last January....all I have read is a potential switch of Detroit and Winnipeg for next season, then maybe a full realignment the following one.

Apparently, Tom Gaglardi (owner of the Stars) was on Dan Russell last night and indicated that he expected realignment to go through this coming summer, pretty much the way we saw it, but that there may be some changes to the playoffs to be settled on first. Or something like that.

I didn't actually hear the interview, I only got the abridged version after the interview was over.

From Russell's Twitter...

Dallas owner T Gagliardi tells CKNW that he expects NHL realignment to take place next year. And every team to play once in every building!

Seattle has their NBA team so the NHL will come quickly to Seattle. Just in time as far as I'm concerned as the way the Oilers look Van has to scram to another division! Rather they play in the Pacific anyways for the same time zone and a rival only half an hour away.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest info:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22010/rest-easy-winnipeg-realignment-is-coming

"If all goes well between the NHLPA and NHL -- the two sides are slated to meet again next week -- the NHL could have a realignment framework for the 30 owners to vote on the week of Feb. 25. Similarly, the NHLPA would run the realignment plan past its executive board (30 player reps) for approval.

Several team executives and governors contacted by ESPN.com Tuesday were in the dark about what the league was determining for realignment. And just what exactly the league and union have been working on the past two weeks, neither NHL nor NHLPA officials would divulge Tuesday. But it’s believed the framework is a slight variation from the December 2011 realignment format. And when I say variation, I believe there are a couple of teams that have been switched around from the original December 2011 format."

Conference A

Anaheim

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Phoenix

San Jose

Vancouver

Conference B

Chicago

Columbus

Dallas

Detroit

Minnesota

Nashville

St. Louis

Winnipeg

Conference C

Boston

Buffalo

Florida

Montreal

Ottawa

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Conference D

Carolina

New Jersey

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

They're making this so difficult :picard:

Winnipeg goes into the Central, Nashville goes to the Southeast. Start with that, atleast it solves the major issue of Winnipeg.

If they want to make more dramatic changes after that, they can go ahead and get to work, at least the biggest problem will have been dealt with.

Conference A

Anaheim

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Phoenix

San Jose

Vancouver

Conference B

Chicago

Columbus

Dallas

Detroit

Minnesota

Nashville

St. Louis

Winnipeg

Conference C

Boston

Buffalo

Florida

Montreal

Ottawa

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Conference D

Carolina

New Jersey

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

They're making this so difficult :picard:

Winnipeg goes into the Central, Nashville goes to the Southeast. Start with that, atleast it solves the major issue of Winnipeg.

If they want to make more dramatic changes after that, they can go ahead and get to work, at least the biggest problem will have been dealt with.

Archived