55 replies to this topic

#31 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

I for one could not think of a city I would want a team in more then Seattle. Close enough to visit for games but the cross border rivalry coupled with the proximity should make for a true battle of the west.

#32 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

I've been hearing rumblings that the NHL wants to expand to 32, the two extra teams being Quebec and another in Ontario. That should make it an even eight teams for each conference then.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#33 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

our conference looks like a joke in the realignment. all the gary bettman towns are there!! at least move winnipeg to our conference and relocate one of these teams(la, san jose, phoenix, anaheim, colorado, dallas) to seattle or saskatoon

Edited by infinitecarnage, 16 February 2013 - 07:43 AM.

Posted Image

#34 MyNameIsTom

MyNameIsTom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Ontario having three teams is as stupid as Florida having two. This realignment stinks unless they either eliminate two teams (28 teams total, 7 in each conference) or add two teams (32 total, 8 in each conference).

Personally, I think Quebec and Seattle having teams would be awesome. Another Ontario team when Quebec is wanting one? And when Seattle is set to build a new arena for the possible return of the Sonics? C'mon, NHL. 3 Ontario teams is such a waste, and it further complicates the Eastern situation. The East has too many teams as it is, which is why cities like Nashville, Columbus, Detroit (which is only 4 hours away from Toronto in a car) and Chicago are in the Western conference.

And Dallas in the Pacific division? When Denver, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver are all closer to the actual Pacific (Vancouver being ON the Pacific)!

It's clear the NHL needs to rework the conferences and divisions, but adding a 3rd Ontario team when the league is already so dense in the East makes no sense. Especially with the developments in Seattle and Phoenix.

#35 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Ontario having three teams is as stupid as Florida having two. This realignment stinks unless they either eliminate two teams (28 teams total, 7 in each conference) or add two teams (32 total, 8 in each conference).

Personally, I think Quebec and Seattle having teams would be awesome. Another Ontario team when Quebec is wanting one? And when Seattle is set to build a new arena for the possible return of the Sonics? C'mon, NHL. 3 Ontario teams is such a waste, and it further complicates the Eastern situation. The East has too many teams as it is, which is why cities like Nashville, Columbus, Detroit (which is only 4 hours away from Toronto in a car) and Chicago are in the Western conference.

And Dallas in the Pacific division? When Denver, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver are all closer to the actual Pacific (Vancouver being ON the Pacific)!

It's clear the NHL needs to rework the conferences and divisions, but adding a 3rd Ontario team when the league is already so dense in the East makes no sense. Especially with the developments in Seattle and Phoenix.

No kidding, anyone who is against a realignment clearly hasn't thought it through.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#36 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Seattle, what will they name their team?

The grunge?
The beachcombers?

Posted Image

#37 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Seattle, what will they name their team?

The grunge?
The beachcombers?

The Seattle Sea Men?

:bigblush:

Hey, I found a topic on what to name a Seattle team:

http://forum.canucks...-names-in-here/

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 17 February 2013 - 02:14 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#38 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,000 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

@DarrenDreger
Progress on realignment discussions and planning, but don't expect announcement until end of next week or the week following. #TSN

307mg00.jpg

#39 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

So why was my thread about realignment locked because it was a "duplicate thread" whereas this one isn't?

I guess because I said the Canucks division was weak? Wow pretty sad CDC MODERATORS.

#40 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

looks like this is starting back up. Still have the issue of 2 conf. with 7 teams, but now both of the "western" have the 7 team conferences.

http://sports.yahoo....19141--nhl.html

#41 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Realignment would mean 4 divisions

The NHL is proposing a new realignment plan which would feature playoff wild-card spots plus see the league go from six divisions to four.

The plan was detailed in an NHL memo sent to all 30 clubs Tuesday, which a team source leaked to ESPN.com.

The new plan calls for divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs as the NHL currently has. The division winner with the most regular-season points will play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

The plan still needs approval from the NHL Players' Association plus the NHL's Board of Governors. The NHLPA and NHL have been working on these changes for the past three weeks.

If approved by all parties, the plan would go into effect for next season.

The Eastern Conference would feature the Atlantic and Central divisions while the Western Conference would have the Mid-West and Pacific Divisions.

The Pacific Division would feature Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

The Mid-West: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg.

The Central: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

The Atlantic: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington.

Elliotte Friedman of CBC's Hockey Night In Canada was first to report about these four new groupings over the weekend.

The playoff format as detailed in the league memo Tuesday calls for the top three teams in each division to earn postseason berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild cards, the top two records in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

The schedule matrix would see each team play teams in the other conference both home and away.

The NHL's 30 owners voted yes to a new realignment plan in December 2011 which was based on a four-conference format but also saw Detroit and Columbus still in the West.

The change from the December 2011 configurations sees Detroit and Columbus go East plus Colorado leave the Pacific and join the Mid-West teams.

The NHLPA blocked the December 2011 plan, citing travel concerns for its players plus playoff inequity of having the top four teams in each conference make the playoffs under that format, unfair for the two eight-team conferences.

The changes proposed by the NHL in this realignment format come as a result of those concerns from the NHLPA, the two sides negotiating for the past three weeks on finding a better solution for realignment.

The NHLPA wants to further address it with its players before consenting to it.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#42 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

It doesn't work because 2 conferences have less teams than the other 2. It's an unfair advantage since your odds of making it to the playoffs are 4/7 vs 4/8. They should have 3 conferences with 10 teams in each and the top 5 from each conference make the playoffs. The 16th team to make it will be the team with the most points from either conference after those 15 teams.

Edited by Doug The Thug Glatt, 26 February 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#43 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

I have a feeling this may be a precursor to a relocation, and I'm not talking about Phoenix.

If one team moves from the east to the west, then both sides have 15 teams. With the divisional crossover, there wouldn't be anything for people to call 'unfair' anymore.

Hello Seattle Panthers.
Posted Image

#44 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

It doesn't work because 2 conferences have less teams than the other 2. It's an unfair advantage since your odds of making it to the playoffs are 4/7 vs 4/8. They should have 3 conferences with 10 teams in each and the top 5 from each conference make the playoffs. The 16th team to make it will be the team with the most points from either conference after those 15 teams.

Well, there's definitely always going to be some inequity when there's a difference in numbers (possibly addressed later with expansion teams?) But the unfairness you talked about was basically the PA's problem with the original 4-from each conference plan, which is why they made alterations to the playoff format. Under this proposal, only the top 3 teams from each division get guaranteed playoff spots. The other 2 spots in each conference are given to the 2 teams with the best seasonal record, giving all teams an equal shot at earning those extra spots. So, you could have a weaker division with only 3 teams in the playoffs and a stronger division with 5 teams.

To me, it sounds more fair and like it should make for more exciting playoffs.

Edited by poetica, 26 February 2013 - 12:31 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#45 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

They also have to get rid of the loser point and make it like basketball. That way teams with more wins don't get knocked out of the playoffs by teams with 10 loser points.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#46 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I imagined the easiest realignment by far would be to simply keep the same divisions, but move teams around:

Move the Jets to the Northwest Conference, and then shuffle the Wild to Central. Nashville goes East to the Southeast conference (Nashville certainly is a lot closer to Washington or Raleigh than just about any two Northwest Division teams are two each other).

#47 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Last I heard there was discussion regarding a couple of wild card spots to help make up for uneven conferences.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#48 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Why is the league worrying about re-alignment when they should be doing something about the product. Referee's, Goalie equipment etc. As someone already said swap Columbus with Winnipeg until expansion and be done with it.

#49 d.joh91

d.joh91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I nearly lost it when I heard the reasoning for the Lightning and Panthers being in the Central Division was because of the fans from OTHER divisional teams living in Florida... :lol:

Edited by d.joh91, 27 February 2013 - 01:17 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Markus Näslund

Forever a Canuck

#50 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,936 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

And it looks like the NHLPA has approved he recently proposed realignment and playoff structure.

TSNBobMcKenzie
"After discussions with Executive Board, NHLPA has given consent to realignment, to be re-evaluated following 2014-15 season.” - Fehr

DarrenDreger
With PA consent, NHL must decide whether to have a board meeting or do vote via fax. Either way process should be done within a week. #TSN

Edited by elvis15, 07 March 2013 - 04:29 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#51 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

And it looks like the NHLPA has approved he recently proposed realignment and playoff structure.

well then... not a fan of the lopsided conferences, but i won't knock until i see it for a year.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#52 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,651 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Seriously, why all the realignment hoopla now? Just switch Jets with Predators. BAM! Problem solved, at least a bandaid until PHX/QC and expansion are settled.

Why all the extra trouble for this coming season, with uneven divisions, wild cards, etc.

I for one wish Detroit stayed in the Central. Then you could have an 8 and 7 division in the West and East.

#53 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,936 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

well then... not a fan of the lopsided conferences, but i won't knock until i see it for a year.

There were always going to be divisions with more and divisions with less. Before it was the West with two divisions with 8.

Seriously, why all the realignment hoopla now? Just switch Jets with Predators. BAM! Problem solved, at least a bandaid until PHX/QC and expansion are settled.

Why all the extra trouble for this coming season, with uneven divisions, wild cards, etc.

I for one wish Detroit stayed in the Central. Then you could have an 8 and 7 division in the West and East.

Expansion and/or contraction aren't in the near future, and Detroit has long been lobbying to switch to the East. A good portion of their games end up getting aired at 10pm, so what do you think that does to their fanbase, especially the younger fans? Then there's having Nashville switch conferences only to potentially switch back.

There wasn't really a good solution to this one but I think they've done what they can. The only thing I'm not quite on board with is how they've added the Florida teams in with the Northeastern teams but kept the central Eastern teams grouped together, but they're trying to maintain some key rivalries.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#54 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

Atlantic Division LOL tough division

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#55 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

I can't wait for this! No longer will I have to deal with the "forced rivalry" of the Wild/Nucks and have an ACTUAL rivalry again with the 'Hawks and Blues.

#56 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

There should be a handicap awarded the other 2 larger conferences in the draft...ie maybe a better shot at the Number 1 overall.To be fair...and I would like to see a mileage travelled concession..somehow factored into scheduling...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.