25 replies to this topic

#1 Chivas

Chivas

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Anyone who has played hockey can instantly see the value of Kassian on the first line. Never-mind all his offensive skills, Kassian gives opposing players pause to taking liberties with the Sedin's. The other part of the equation, Burrows move instantly improves the second line, especially when Kesler and Booth come back. The second line of Booth, Kesler, and Higgins wasn't very good last year, mostly because Kesler would seldom pass the puck. Burrows won't let Kesler get away with that act.

#2 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Agreed, but he is young and inexperienced so hopefully he can keep it up. If he does we will have two very solid lines, especially with the chemistry Burrows and Kesler have shown in the past.

#3 Vancouver's comeback

Vancouver's comeback

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

POPULAR

Kassian is the perfect compliment for the twins, and lets us revive the Raymond - Kesler - Burrows line that carried us through the Chicago series two years ago. A third line of Higgins - Schroeder - Booth, a sort of American Express Jr. could be done, as Schroeder has more of a propensity to pass than Kesler does, which could help, and while not physical, is positionally solid enough to play a 3rd line role.
#BOSTONSTRONG
Hit first, ask questions second
Posted Image

#4 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

I noticed sometimes 3 flames would go back just to defend him leaving everyone pretty open. Hopefully he keeps this up all season.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

All aboard!
Posted Image

#6 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

the problem i see with kassian and what everyother player besides burrows has done with the sedins yes he knows to go to the net and he will get the puck and a chance to score. hes big so he can help the cycle but his passing is sub par.... sedins went from needing someone infront of the net and they got that with carter and carter got all the tap in front of the net goals but the sedins never scored many goals until they had burrows who didnt only go to the front of the net but also set them up for goals aswell. i feel like kassian can get alot of goals but it could cause sedins to get less chances and we could see their numbers go back to being mainly assists again. and whens hes on the PP he never slides up into the high slot to open up for a shot like burrows and kessler do he just parks himself infront of the goalie wich is good for point shots but sedins PP run threw them and not the point

#7 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Kassian is the perfect compliment for the twins, and lets us revive the Raymond - Kesler - Burrows line that carried us through the Chicago series two years ago. A third line of Higgins - Schroeder - Booth, a sort of American Express Jr. could be done, as Schroeder has more of a propensity to pass than Kesler does, which could help, and while not physical, is positionally solid enough to play a 3rd line role.

so u have hansen back down on the 4th?

#8 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

the problem i see with kassian and what everyother player besides burrows has done with the sedins yes he knows to go to the net and he will get the puck and a chance to score. hes big so he can help the cycle but his passing is sub par.... sedins went from needing someone infront of the net and they got that with carter and carter got all the tap in front of the net goals but the sedins never scored many goals until they had burrows who didnt only go to the front of the net but also set them up for goals aswell. i feel like kassian can get alot of goals but it could cause sedins to get less chances and we could see their numbers go back to being mainly assists again. and whens hes on the PP he never slides up into the high slot to open up for a shot like burrows and kessler do he just parks himself infront of the goalie wich is good for point shots but sedins PP run threw them and not the point

His passing is sub par?? Realllly? Have you been watching him play the last half a season and start of this one? He sees the ice very well and makes a lot of nice crisp cross seam passes, he is a great passer, that is clearly evident... his passing isn't sub par with the sedins, he just hasn't yet learned how to best position himself or use them yet, same as on the PP with them, it has been one game, they will now have video sessions and discuss with him and the sedins how he can be more effective on the PP instead of a simple park job in front of the net.

He will learn, he is young, he has great mentors... Burrows became as effective as he was because he soaked up and learned everything he could from those two swedes. It wasn't one game and all of a sudden he knew exactly where to position himself etc.

I like this idea for the 3rd line, shredder has booths speed but would possibly do a great job of feeding booth, as well booth isn't really one to pass the puck all that much. Would be interesting to see. Hopefully Mayray continues to play well as well so that second line could really roll.

We shall see.

#9 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

so u have hansen back down on the 4th?

Maybe the odd man out, same as lappy, they have both earned that 3rd line spot if not better, but on a team this deep they have to perform to stay there.

#10 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

His passing is sub par?? Realllly? Have you been watching him play the last half a season and start of this one? He sees the ice very well and makes a lot of nice crisp cross seam passes, he is a great passer, that is clearly evident... his passing isn't sub par with the sedins, he just hasn't yet learned how to best position himself or use them yet, same as on the PP with them, it has been one game, they will now have video sessions and discuss with him and the sedins how he can be more effective on the PP instead of a simple park job in front of the net.

We shall see.

Well said. He was an excellent passer last season, and has continued this year. Can't wait to see what he can do with the twins given the time to build some chemistry.

zWXdYPq.png'

Put Gino in the ROH

#11 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'd rather see

Sedin Sedin Kass - no explanation needed
Burr Kes Hansen - Speed, Grit, Offense, Shutdown all in one package. Probably my fav incarnation the the second line
Ray Schroeder Booth - Speed, skill, offense while being defensively responsible. Booth gets a good set up man
Higgins Lappy Volpatti/Weise - Grit, speed, size, some offense

Manny, sadly, has lost his spot on this club. HIs faceoffs are still valuable, but I'd rather see Schroeder in the lineup

Edited by stawns, 24 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#12 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Whaaaa? I think his passing is one of his most honed skills, certainly most under rated. I would go as far to say that he sees the ice as well as, or better than, Hodgson. He made some fantastic plays last night.........a tape to tape pass, though players, from the goal line to the point is not the play of a sub par passer

#13 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

No, please, go on
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#14 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Volpatti

Looks fine to me, soon as we get a forward in the Lu deal we are even more set. ::D

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#15 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I saw some serious chemistry between the Sedin twins and Kass last night. I can only hope this gets better but honestly at times it looked like they were starting to click and that must make other teams a little scurd. ::D

Go Canucks Go! :canucks:
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#16 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

I noticed sometimes 3 flames would go back just to defend him leaving everyone pretty open. Hopefully he keeps this up all season.

This, as well the OP, QFT. That's really the thing with these big guys. Their strength is making problems for the defense, while also forcing the opposition to respect our skilled guys, or face a beatdown and/or get grinded by our big guys.

Look at buffalo do the same now to defend Ryan Miller. It's just logical, and Gillis is taking the right steps by getting Kassian, Gaunce, Jensen. We'll still get our skilled guys, even if they're small like Schroeder. We should focus on either big semi-skilled guys or VERY skilled guys (doesnt matter if small, medium or large). What I think we should avoid are all those medium, 5'11-6'1 run-of-the-mill semi-skilled/semi-tough guys.

#17 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I think we should all wait 20-30 games before we claim another victim due to over-hyping him. Yes, he's been good. But one of the biggest problems he had in Buffalo was consistency.

Sig too big. 

#18 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Anyone who knows anything about hockey can tell that Kassian has got plenty of talent. The knock on him is consistency. For this reason alone, playing with the Sedins is even more important. Try having an off game playing with those two. You are pretty much guarenteed at least 2 - 3 scoring chances per game.

#19 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,089 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Looks fine to me, soon as we get a forward in the Lu deal we are even more set. ::D

Only change I would make would be Raymond on the 3rd and Higgins on the 4th.

307mg00.jpg

#20 StraightFlush

StraightFlush

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

For real? Raymond over higgins on the 3rd? Puff puff pass guy

#21 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Honestly didn't even read it. It's been two games, he's been pumped but consistency is his problem. Let's see at 20 games in how he's done.
Posted Image

#22 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

Much better.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 24 January 2013 - 06:18 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#23 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'd rather see

Burr Kes Hansen - Speed, Grit, Offense, Shutdown all in one package. Probably my fav incarnation the the second line
Ray Schroeder Booth - Speed, skill, offense while being defensively responsible. Booth gets a good set up man
Higgins Lappy Volpatti/Weise - Grit, speed, size, some offense

Manny, sadly, has lost his spot on this club. HIs faceoffs are still valuable, but I'd rather see Schroeder in the lineup

I like your lineup, and I'd like to see us try it, except I think Manny will slot in ahead of Volpatti or Weise. His faceoffs are still far too valuable.

He is clicking at over 70% right now... That's ridiculous and highly sought after. If we take Manny out, we have no one who is strong on the faceoffs except Kesler. And on the PK, we have no one to take draws on the left side if Manny's out.

Manny still has a spot on this team because of his faceoff abilities.

Edited by Dasein, 24 January 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#24 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

For real? Raymond over higgins on the 3rd? Puff puff pass guy

Or maybe you should wake up and smell the coffee, guy. This ain't 2011-2012 no more.

Raymond is flying out there - playing well defensively, creating chances offensively, and he scored a goal scorer's goal last game. Raymond was returning from a broken back last season... I think people overlook this fact way too often and way too much. A broken back means he couldn't train properly - and now that he had an extended training period, Raymond's already looking a lot better.

Right now, Raymond over Higgins on the 3rd everyday all day.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#25 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

this is very true
Posted Image

#26 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Kass is looking good so far. Ask again in 20 games.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.