The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Kassian-Cody Conundrum

goneforever

Good read. I think a lot of people really overlook the types of games Kassian and Hodgson play. Kassian is a bruiser, that is capable of decimating someone, and sniping geno's when he needs to. Cody is more of a finesse sort of player, and definitely plays the opposite end of the spectrum from Zack. I have always liked Zack and I am loving his start to the year. Expect more out of him playing with the Sedins.

I'm not cool with all the hate for Hodgson. We needed a power forward, Buffalo needed a center. Everyone's a winner! And we're supporting our expansion bros in their battle against Toronto and Boston. Hodgson is doing the Canucks' work out east, he's already beaten the Leafs once this season. The supposed bitterness between him and the management/coaching is just a cover story. We sent him over there to mess with our enemies, he's in deep cover. Don't worry about it.

Star Wars analogy: when we traded Hodgson I was all like, "you were supposed to be the chosen one!" but then he became the villain instead. Well, we know how that ends, right? Hodgson is gonna throw Jeremy Jacobs down an elevator shaft at the Garden.

I like Kassian, but he's played 2 goddamn games this season, and has not matched up yet with the best players.

He could just as easily regress for the rest of season, or he could just be slightly better than last season.

Everyone please hold back the mvp parade and just enjoy watching the ZACK ATTACK

One of the issues with trading for a different kind of player is that since they aren't really replacing each other, you can't really compare their performance directly.

Kassian's probably not going to center a top line, and Cody's never going to let his concussive fists go to town on Ben Eager's head.

With that in mind, and admitting that points are going be important, I think one way to compare them might be ice time. Not comparing Cody's ice time with Buffalo to Zack's with the Canucks, but comparing Zack's ice time with the Canucks (and the conditions under which he's on the ice) to Cody's ice time with the Canucks before the trade. It's not a perfect comparison, especially when you consider Cody was being showcased for part of the year, but I think it's one of the best tools we've got for comparing them.

Basically, if Zack is getting more ice time than Cody did, and is put out in more difficult situations then he's showing that he is more valuable to the Canucks than Cody was. Conversely, if he ends up spending the season in Keith Ballard's special seat in the press box, then he'll have proven himself less valuable than Cody.

The same is true for Cody in Buffalo.

The way I look at it, a team does well in a trade if they get more use out of the player they acquire than they had been getting from the one they gave up; regardless of how that player does on the other team.

Archived