Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

The Kassian-Cody Conundrum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#32 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Kassian's only the man until his next mediocre game. Then the Cody fan boys come out.

I still contend Cody is the better player, currently, but I never did suggest that Zack couldn't be a very good player for us.
Posted Image

#33 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I like Kassian, but he's played 2 goddamn games this season, and has not matched up yet with the best players.
He could just as easily regress for the rest of season, or he could just be slightly better than last season.

Everyone please hold back the mvp parade and just enjoy watching the ZACK ATTACK

#34 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Kassian's only the man until his next mediocre game. Then the Cody fan boys come out.

I still contend Cody is the better player, currently, but I never did suggest that Zack couldn't be a very good player for us.

That's exactly what will happen, I mean, this is Vancouver where having two top goalies is cause for unrelenting hand-wringing.

One or two bad games and Kassian might be tossed under the bandwagon and the pining for Cody will begin.

#35 DCR

DCR

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

One of the issues with trading for a different kind of player is that since they aren't really replacing each other, you can't really compare their performance directly.

Kassian's probably not going to center a top line, and Cody's never going to let his concussive fists go to town on Ben Eager's head.

With that in mind, and admitting that points are going be important, I think one way to compare them might be ice time. Not comparing Cody's ice time with Buffalo to Zack's with the Canucks, but comparing Zack's ice time with the Canucks (and the conditions under which he's on the ice) to Cody's ice time with the Canucks before the trade. It's not a perfect comparison, especially when you consider Cody was being showcased for part of the year, but I think it's one of the best tools we've got for comparing them.

Basically, if Zack is getting more ice time than Cody did, and is put out in more difficult situations then he's showing that he is more valuable to the Canucks than Cody was. Conversely, if he ends up spending the season in Keith Ballard's special seat in the press box, then he'll have proven himself less valuable than Cody.

The same is true for Cody in Buffalo.

The way I look at it, a team does well in a trade if they get more use out of the player they acquire than they had been getting from the one they gave up; regardless of how that player does on the other team.

#36 cabinessence

cabinessence

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Kassian is more of a poer forward but Hodgson maybe has a better all around game.

Posted Imagecabinessence, on 06 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I have a feeling they will score on the power play...cue bass solo!!
I called it!! I called it!!! Cue more bass solos!!!!!

#37 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Canucks will retire his jersey while he's still playing for the team.

League wide retirement of his number.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#38 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

This is my post-game post on PuckBuddys called The Kassian-Cody Conundrum.

It's about whether the trade of Cody Hodgson for Zack Kassian and two other players was a good one. After last night's squeaker win, Kassian is now DA MAN! But for how long?

Is that you, Jason Botchford? Who's the stud? Who's the dud?

#39 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Kassian's looking good so far.

Comparing the two isn't going to yield accurate results. Neither have been in the NHL long. Especially Kass.

At least so far the trade doesn't seem to be a loss.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#40 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I miss Cody, he would have helped out our team right now so much. But glad Schroeder's here. But Kassian has been playing great with the Sedins and that's nice to see. But he's always had consistency problems.
Posted Image

#41 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Apparently Cody is like 4/14 for faceoffs lol.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#42 The Analyst

The Analyst

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Who was better in their prime, Todd Bertuzzi or Paul Kariya?
gabriel_macht_live.gif

#43 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Well, Kariya led his team to game 7 of Stanley Cup Finals so...

Edited by Dasein, 24 January 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#44 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

really... everyone is a superstar when you play with the twins.
Posted Image

#45 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Just a feeling, but I can easily see Kassian fading as the season grinds on. Consistancy is going to be a problem for this guy.

#46 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Bertuzzi...... just on the fact that of what he did for the canucks... west coast express line
Posted Image

#47 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

We need toughness on the team, and Kass is tough. End of topic.

#48 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Hodgson scored for Buffalo - 3 goals in 3 games.

Face it, they're both fantastic young players with bright futures ahead of them. Hodgson is far more skilled than Kassian, but Kassian is far more physical. We have enough skill on this team so it makes sense for us to pick Kassian.
Posted Image

#49 Watsuko

Watsuko

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Cody is a cerebral player, reaaly jinks and sees the game well. Zack is physically opposing and gets er done overpowering the opposition

#50 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hodgson scored for Buffalo - 3 goals in 3 games.

Face it, they're both fantastic young players with bright futures ahead of them. Hodgson is far more skilled than Kassian, but Kassian is far more physical. We have enough skill on this team so it makes sense for us to pick Kassian.

Did you see the goals scored by both teams tonight though?

Cody was directly responsible for Jeff Skinner's two goals - one he got beat to the net, and the other Skinner stripped him of the puck and scored a wrap around. Not to mention, he gave the puck away with the net empty which led to Eric Staal icing the game 6-3. He was on the ice for 5 of Carolina's 6 goals... He was lucky enough to be on the #1 line where Vanek and Pominville connected for a couple so that his +/- didn't take too much of a hit.

Nobody is denying Cody's offensive talent - he definitely has the hands and the hockey IQ of an elite player - he still looks lost defensively and just doesn't have the skating to recover on defense.

At the moment, Hodgson has the better offensive hockey IQ, but Kassian has a better overall game. Cody is not ready yet for the #1 center role that he's playing in Buffalo. He would have benefited greatly playing behind Henrik (who also overcame slow skating to be elite - maybe the best that Hodgson could learn from and shape his game after given the similarities) and Kesler while enjoying some extra minutes when injuries occur like now.

Jordan Schroeder gets that benefit now - to learn from two consumate professionals and be eased into the top 6 role.

Edited by Dasein, 24 January 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#51 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

"He’s also a talented, refined hockey player who was developing a beautiful chemistry with the Sedins that was beginning to produce results."

when did cody play with the sedins?

Edited by cIutch, 24 January 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Posted Image

#52 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Just a feeling, but I can easily see Kassian fading as the season grinds on. Consistancy is going to be a problem for this guy.

lol @ just a feeling , obv hes going to have off games , we all know and the media has pretty much beaten to death that his career will be defined by his consistency

One of the issues with trading for a different kind of player is that since they aren't really replacing each other, you can't really compare their performance directly.

Kassian's probably not going to center a top line, and Cody's never going to let his concussive fists go to town on Ben Eager's head.

With that in mind, and admitting that points are going be important, I think one way to compare them might be ice time. Not comparing Cody's ice time with Buffalo to Zack's with the Canucks, but comparing Zack's ice time with the Canucks (and the conditions under which he's on the ice) to Cody's ice time with the Canucks before the trade. It's not a perfect comparison, especially when you consider Cody was being showcased for part of the year, but I think it's one of the best tools we've got for comparing them.

Basically, if Zack is getting more ice time than Cody did, and is put out in more difficult situations then he's showing that he is more valuable to the Canucks than Cody was. Conversely, if he ends up spending the season in Keith Ballard's special seat in the press box, then he'll have proven himself less valuable than Cody.

The way I look at it, a team does well in a trade if they get more use out of the player they acquire than they had been getting from the one they gave up; regardless of how that player does on the other team.

pretty much , cody said himself it was a good hockey trade

yet his fan boy losers cant get over it

Edited by cIutch, 24 January 2013 - 08:52 PM.

Posted Image

#53 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I think since the Sedins are so consistent and always create scoring chances it will help Zack a lot with his consistency also.

He knows he needs to protect the Sedins too now, so I don't see him going stretches of where he doesn't play physical for a bunch of games like he was criticized for in Buffalo.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#54 cloutier123

cloutier123

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Wow really he was playing with the sedins and it was one game and the trade happen so lets get over it. Like lets trade one goalie so we can get over that.

Yeah because his goal was all because of the Sedin's... -_- Oh and the shoot-out winner was also thanks to the Sedin's.... Buahaha

#55 cloutier123

cloutier123

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hate to be a bummer dude... but how about comparing them based on who is more effective...

#56 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

watching buffalo we still gave up to much for kassian... cody for kassian shouldve been good enough but we had to throw in sulzer and take grags from them ive been watching buffalo games sulzer is a really good D man always in good position never gets caught makes a great first pass out of the zone he wouldve been a nice fit if we decide to buy out ballard ... trade kinda reminds me of us trading to much for luongo at the time alex auld was a 30+ game winner and bertuzzi had scored 25 goals and had over 50 points and somehow we still had to throw in bryan allen and florida was dismantling and did nothing with all 3 players anyways. just sayin folks dont forget about sulzer it wasnt just a cody for zack trade.

#57 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

when did cody play with the sedins?

I'm pretty sure it was a power play with the Sedins, but my searching on the Googlenet has not produced any proof or game information. And I can't find line combos for last season on sites that don't require paid memberships. Searching through some videos I only found this video in which you can see Hodgson on the ice with the Sedins briefly, but, it's not the power play I remember.

At the time there were a lot of hockey writers fantasizing about Hodgson playing with the Sedins for power plays (ex. here and here), because as you may recall Cody's power play was pretty damn good last season and the Sedin's goal production was starting to tank in late January. So, it's possible I completely imagined the whole thing, but, my imagination would have been pretty darn vivid. When it did happen I remembered it was like a wish being granted by AV, but, unfortunately don't remember all the details.

But the crux of what I was saying is that Cody was developing good chemistry with various Canucks teammates right before he was traded away. He was producing goals and drawing lots of penalties from the other teams that were helping the Canucks win games at the time. Kassian is a very different kind of player, so it will be interesting to see how he continues to develop after his impressive start to this season.

#58 wasteofskin

wasteofskin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

he did good
Religious death, I instigate
From what the bible demonstrates
Does it document creation
Of this hopeless infliction
Of a godless heretic
Not a god-fearing lunatic
That's why it's become my obsession
To treat God like an infection

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.