31 replies to this topic

#1 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Just when you thought Republicans could not get any more wacky, this happens.

So a woman who has been sexually assaulted and becomes pregnant - so she gets an abortion... and then is charged criminally for "tampering with evidence" under law proposed by New Mexico state Rep. Cathrynn Brown ®.

But hey this is all about punishing the perp and protecting women and has nothing to do with abortion, right?

Fortunately this bill is unlikely to pass. And Republicans wonder why they have problems attracting women voters...

Here is the proposed bill:
http://www.nmlegis.g...ouse/HB0206.pdf

New Mexico Bill Would Criminalize Abortions After Rape As 'Tampering With Evidence'

A Republican lawmaker in New Mexico introduced a bill on Wednesday that would legally require victims of rape to carry their pregnancies to term in order to use the fetus as evidence for a sexual assault trial.

House Bill 206, introduced by state Rep. Cathrynn Brown ®, would charge a rape victim who ended her pregnancy with a third-degree felony for "tampering with evidence."

“Tampering with evidence shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion, of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime," the bill says.

Third-degree felonies in New Mexico carry a sentence of up to three years in prison.

Pat Davis of ProgressNow New Mexico, a progressive nonprofit opposing the bill, called it "blatantly unconstitutional" on Thursday.

“The bill turns victims of rape and incest into felons and forces them to become incubators of evidence for the state,” he said. “According to Republican philosophy, victims who are ‘legitimately raped’ will now have to carry the fetus to term in order to prove their case.“

The bill is unlikely to pass, as Democrats have a majority in both chambers of New Mexico's state legislature.

UPDATE: 12:25 p.m. -- Brown said in a statement Thursday that she introduced the bill with the goal of punishing the person who commits incest or rape and then procures or facilitates an abortion to destroy the evidence of the crime.

“New Mexico needs to strengthen its laws to deter sex offenders,” said Brown. “By adding this law in New Mexico, we can help to protect women across our state.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/new-mexico-abortion-bill_n_2541894.html
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#2 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

To laugh or to cry?

#3 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Perhaps if Cathrynn Brown were in the same shoes as a rape victim she'd have a much different perspective.

I would like to say the stupidity of this bill (along with the creator of it) takes the cake but I'm sure we have yet to see even more evidence of Republican ignorance and inanity that will trump even this. :(

This woman's ignorance is astounding.......DNA can be obtained from fetal tissue after an abortion has been performed. Stupid is as stupid does.

Protect women? :picard: No, let's victimize them even more.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 24 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#4 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

I was going to get worried there, then I realised this Republican doesn't have good odds in his state of getting this passed in a Democratic held House and Senate. It looks more like a ploy for attention (thus funds) from certain political action committees.

#5 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

To laugh or to cry?

Or perhaps...
Posted Image

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#6 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,938 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

So, if a man gets raped he can't take a shower?

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#7 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

So, if a man gets raped he can't take a shower?

That's the best place for it though :ph34r:
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#8 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Well she is a lawyer, so what can you expect, eh???

House District 55 ® – Cathrynn Brown (i)
Posted ImageNAME: Cathrynn N. Brown
POLITICAL PARTY: Republican
RESIDENCE: Carlsbad
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Reed College; Juris Doctor in Law, University of Idaho.
FAMILY: Husband, Michael Brown; five children

POLITICAL/GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE: State Representative, District 55, 2011-present; Chairwoman, Rules Committee, Republican Party of New Mexico, 2008-11; Executive Committee, Republican Party of New Mexico, 2007-present; State Central Committee, 2005-present; Chairwoman, Republican Party of Eddy County, 2005-08....

#9 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

.......DNA can be obtained from fetal tissue after an abortion has been performed. Stupid is as stupid does.

First thing I thought too
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#10 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

I was going to get worried there, then I realised this Republican doesn't have good odds in his state of getting this passed in a Democratic held House and Senate. It looks more like a ploy for attention (thus funds) from certain political action committees.

Maybe if they reigned those in it might take away some of the incentive for the crazies to ply their trade.

But what fun would that be right?

#11 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Maybe if they reigned those in it might take away some of the incentive for the crazies to ply their trade.

But what fun would that be right?

It would certainly shake the landscape a bit.

Personally, I'd just be happy with a flat out revolt against US politicians, but removing those private funds would help too. ;)

Edited by zaibatsu, 24 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#12 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

First thing I thought too

Which is why the goal of the legislation is transparently obvious - just another wack-a-doodle Republican.

#13 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,653 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I applaud republican efforts here. The newborn baby must be interrogated to see if it is indeed a rape baby.
Posted Image

#14 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I applaud republican efforts here. The newborn baby must be interrogated to see if it is indeed a rape baby.

Yup, if it doesn't come out deformed and/or mentally challenged, then clearly the woman must have enjoyed it since her body would have prevented the fetus from developing properly if by some act of Satan she did still get pregnant. So the woman must carry to term so they can test the baby's intelligence and physical capabilities, while also obtaining the name and a description of the man that fathered it.

But seriously, logic tells us that if she had an abortion for a pregnancy resulting from rape, that would be evidence enough of the rape itself. They'd certainly have physical evidence to work with (and even draw DNA from in the event it wasn't collected immediately after the rape?) from the aborted fetus.

Edited by elvis15, 24 January 2013 - 05:08 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#15 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

hard to say.

in Brazil abortion is a crime and nobody will change it here, unless the girl is sexually assaulted, or the baby causes some problem to motherīs life. if the babyīs life is in danger the mother has option to continue or abort. in these situations it must be proved by police and medical statements...

in any other case, the girl and the boy go to the jail for 7 years. and during the Military era it was even worse...

and with all respect, Itīs very fair!

want have sexy without kids? USE a CONDOM! itīs not babyīs fault if you donīt want him/her, he/she cannot defend him/herself from you and your ego!

a condom isnīt expensive, in fact is very very cheap. you dummy boy go there, buy as many condoms you want, use it and F$%%Ļ@ with responsability.

want sexy?

donīt want kids?

USE a CONDOM!
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#16 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

hard to say.

in Brazil abortion is a crime and nobody will change it here, unless the girl is sexually assaulted, or the baby causes some problem to mother´s life. if the baby´s life is in danger the mother has option to continue or abort. in these situations it must be proved by police and medical statements...

in any other case, the girl and the boy go to the jail for 7 years. and during the Military era it was even worse...

and with all respect, It´s very fair!

want have sexy without kids? USE a CONDOM! it´s not baby´s fault if you don´t want him/her, he/she cannot defend him/herself from you and your ego!

a condom isn´t expensive, in fact is very very cheap. you dummy boy go there, buy as many condoms you want, use it and F$%%¨@ with responsability.

want sexy?

don´t want kids?

USE a CONDOM!

Lol. Pro lifers are so funny.

Edited by Lockout Casualty, 24 January 2013 - 04:10 PM.

"It is the Parliament that’s supposed to run the country, not just the largest party and the single leader of that party. I guess that’s a criticism that I've had and that we've had and that most Canadians have had for a long, long time.”

- Steven Harper, circa 2004

#17 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Lol. Pro lifers are so funny.

Iīm just saying that itīs easier use a condom instead do and abortion. itīs really hard use a condom instead kill an inocent without option? what about the girl choose better boys instead those sucker that just F$%&* and leave the girl?during the military era in Brazil the authorities used to punish girl and boy by killing them by shooting them, or leaving them to the feared "Jacareacangaīs ditch", many people prefered the death instead going to Jacareacanga...

#18 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

I´m just saying that it´s easier use a condom instead do and abortion. it´s really hard use a condom instead kill an inocent without option? what about the girl choose better boys instead those sucker that just F$%&* and leave the girl?during the military era in Brazil the authorities used to punish girl and boy by killing them by shooting them, or leaving them to the feared "Jacareacanga´s ditch", many people prefered the death instead going to Jacareacanga...

Did you even read the original post in this thread? It doesn't seem so because condoms have nothing to do with the bil as it's about women already pregnant by rape or incest.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 24 January 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#19 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Did you even read the original post in this thread?  It doesn't seem so because condoms have nothing to do with the bil as it's about women already pregnant by rape or incest.

yes I readed the entire post. and to add, "incest" is simply bizarre to me...in this case Iīm in favor of an abortion, New Mexico law is simply bizarre. so you must suffer for the next 9 months for a baby youīre forced to have? no. thatīs traumatising...Republicans seems to live on another type of universe. maybe a "Rebublicanland"?

Edited by aeromotacanucks, 24 January 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#20 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

in this case I´m in favor of an abortion, New Mexico law is simply bizarre. so you must suffer for the next 9 months for a baby you´re forced to have? no. that´s traumatising...Republicans seems to live on another type of universe. maybe a "Rebublicanland"?

:lol: I agree, I sometimes believe they are definitely not of this world!

#21 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I´m just saying that it´s easier use a condom instead do and abortion. it´s really hard use a condom instead kill an inocent without option? what about the girl choose better boys instead those sucker that just F$%&* and leave the girl?during the military era in Brazil the authorities used to punish girl and boy by killing them by shooting them, or leaving them to the feared "Jacareacanga´s ditch", many people prefered the death instead going to Jacareacanga...

Now that's not funny. Just sad.

"It is the Parliament that’s supposed to run the country, not just the largest party and the single leader of that party. I guess that’s a criticism that I've had and that we've had and that most Canadians have had for a long, long time.”

- Steven Harper, circa 2004

#22 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

WHERE'S THE FETUS?? WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR??

Posted Image

#23 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

What if the woman has a pregnancy complication? A family history of contraption problems? Do you just put her at further risk? This is a pretty dumb law...
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#24 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,903 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Bull. You telling me they can't find a way to gather evidence from the remains after the abortion takes place? Not to mention the idiocy of criminalizing tampering with evidence for a crime against YOURSELF. That's the same line of thinking as making it illegal to remove grafitti after someone tags your wall.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#25 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,807 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

I don't really think we need to shoot holes in this proposed bill. It's obviously a case of a pro-lifer trying to find a legal loophole with which to promote an anti-abortion agenda...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#26 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I don't really think we need to shoot holes in this proposed bill. It's obviously a case of a pro-lifer trying to find a legal loophole with which to promote an anti-abortion agenda...

The wack-a-doodle evangelical MP Stephen Woodworth approach and even his own party called him on it.

The purpose of Motion No. 312, which we are considering today, is to open to question the validity of subsection 223(1), which asserts that a child becomes a human being only at the moment of complete birth. If the legal definition of when one becomes a human being were to be adjusted so that a fetus is declared to be a legal person at some earlier stage of gestation, then the homicide laws would apply. As a necessary consequence, aborting fetal development anywhere in the potentially new adjusted period would be considered homicide. Thus the ultimate intention of this motion is to restrict abortions in Canada at some fetal development stage.

~The Hon. Gordon O'Connor (Minister of State and Chief Government Whip, Conservative Party of Canada in the House of Commons

#27 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

hard to say.

in Brazil abortion is a crime and nobody will change it here, unless the girl is sexually assaulted, or the baby causes some problem to motherīs life. if the babyīs life is in danger the mother has option to continue or abort. in these situations it must be proved by police and medical statements...

and with all respect, Itīs very fair!

want have sexy without kids? USE a CONDOM! itīs not babyīs fault if you donīt want him/her, he/she cannot defend him/herself from you and your ego!

a condom isnīt expensive, in fact is very very cheap. you dummy boy go there, buy as many condoms you want, use it and F$%%Ļ@ with responsability.

want sexy?

donīt want kids?

USE a CONDOM!

I wish your parents used a condom.
I can just see it now.
The rape victim to be: "oh ok if you're going to rape me can you at least use this condom I carry around for when I get raped?"
Raper guy: "oh yes of course I'm actually quite prepared"

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#28 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I read another story on it and it included the congresswoman's response to the article. I think this is a case of her being epically stupid, rather than evil.

She said her intent was to punish rapists who force their victims to get abortions as a method of destroying evidence. If that isn't already a crime, and this is her intent, then okay, that makes sense.

But she has to be incredibly stupid to not understand the other implications of her proposed law.
Moo

#29 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

So if I get stabbed, a doctor repairing my wounds is tampering with evidence, right?

zuhwS.gif

#30 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I read another story on it and it included the congresswoman's response to the article. I think this is a case of her being epically stupid, rather than evil.

She said her intent was to punish rapists who force their victims to get abortions as a method of destroying evidence. If that isn't already a crime, and this is her intent, then okay, that makes sense.

But she has to be incredibly stupid to not understand the other implications of her proposed law.

IMHO her intent was to restrict abortions since gathering such evidence does not require this sort of legisation.

Remember this woman is an attorney and sits on the state legislature Judiciary Committee. She is not "epically stupid" just another wack-a-doodle Republican.

Her claim makes no sense and is nonsense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.