The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Fantasy Hockey problem?

Primus099

Thanks Joe,

I have looked through my own and some others rosters and have only found a few stars awarded only to Luongo? So,picking Lou on a good night gets an advantage. Have other stars been awarded and I just can't see them?

Yeah there was a little issue with that but its temporarily fixed until I can fully update the new changes (which are getting close).

Just a heads up to everyone right now that you might have seen Luongo as one of the skaters with 0 Goals, Powerplay goals, shootout goals etc. This is for three games in total. The data we got back from the NHL site was inaccurate and they had Luongo as their 19th skater out there as well as in the net. I had fixed this on our end but it could be possible that this can happen again. It happened three times now.

Just keep an eye out for that and let me know if you see one of your goalies trying to score goals.

probably too late to make a big change now. but many pools have penalties counting as positive points rather than negative like ours is.

if we had positive points for penalties that may give a reason to pick some of the other players instead of only centreman and goal scorers that one has to pick under the current format.

well, just about ready to give up on this thing. maybe the guy working it should to.

for some reason roster not showing for sundays game.

is it really that hard to set this pool up? As players of this pool we still dont know whether the scoring is correct - we seem to make bigger than expected leaps up or down in the standings. we dont know if the game will wrk or not, like today.

We still have players to select that are in utica.

I play the cbc pool, it works great.

i play the dominion hockey pool, it works.

I play the hat trick challenge on nhl.com, it works every day.

probably too late to make a big change now. but many pools have penalties counting as positive points rather than negative like ours is.

if we had positive points for penalties that may give a reason to pick some of the other players instead of only centreman and goal scorers that one has to pick under the current format.

Could not agree more #14rules!

No points for hits

No points for blocked shots

No points for shootout goals

Theese are mentioned in the points for and against scoring chart but never ever awarded.

So it is alway's the same picks over and over.

Enough lip service from JoeMoe

Canucks Fantasy Pool = BORING!

Can you give me your username so I can take a further look into it? I will check it out.

Nevermind, I figured out the issue. I am working on it now. The rosters are being saved so you won't lose points for today. What is happening is the stats are not updating right now which can be fixed. I am looking into it now.

Joe, every facet of this game needs to be looked at, in some kind of orderly fashion, and every facet needs to be made to work.

The scoring needs to reflect the rules of the game and scoring parameters that are presented in the rules for instance - see bigbee65's post of today.

I would think, if this pool is going to be presented on tv, during the games, as it was today, that having something that worked would look a lot better than what we have.

so you "pushed some major changes" . yet we have no way of knowing what they were.

Did you fix bigbees issue?

Joe, what, in your view, now works on this game, and what bugs remain to be fixed?

It seems there is no monitoring of this game - else why did you have to ask for a username, when no users were working?

I would think there would be a couple of "test" teams that you would use, and verify them manualy every game, to know that your data base was scoring properly.

Again, this pool is now being advertised on tv during the game - I would think the people responsible for those ads would expect better than what we have.

Joe, every facet of this game needs to be looked at, in some kind of orderly fashion, and every facet needs to be made to work.

The scoring needs to reflect the rules of the game and scoring parameters that are presented in the rules for instance - see bigbee65's post of today.

I would think, if this pool is going to be presented on tv, during the games, as it was today, that having something that worked would look a lot better than what we have.

I totally agree with you and so do the Canucks team. That is why there has been a lot more focus on it lately trying to make things run better. The fantasy hockey pool has issues and thats why I am spending a lot of time on it for the past little while. I have fixed a ton of stuff and found some other issues with the pool too on the way and have fixed those as well.

I decided to jump on the forums to communicate with everyone to get as much of the issues fixed and also to take suggestions for how to make the pool more enjoyable.

Could not agree more #14rules!

No points for hits

No points for blocked shots

No points for shootout goals

Theese are mentioned in the points for and against scoring chart but never ever awarded.

So it is alway's the same picks over and over.

Enough lip service from JoeMoe

Canucks Fantasy Pool = BORING!

I am down for switching things up next year. I was going to suggest this to get changed for next season as some of the point multipliers and deductions don't feel right. And I agree it gets a little boring when there is no real strategy involved for picking the rosters with the way the point system is setup right now.

I think penalty minutes should get deducted but fights should get rewarded. What do you think?

Also I just noticed that you are right about the hits not getting rewarded. That should be there according to the score card. I will try to get that added and updated tonight.

I will make sure that blocked shots are added for next year.

If there are any other suggestions for how the point system should work for next season let me know and I will consider all options. Also I did do a major update last night which fixed a lot of things. We should see more accurate stats being tallied from now on and less jumping around in the leaderboards. However, that hits calculation is going to move some people around so just be prepared for that.

so you "pushed some major changes" . yet we have no way of knowing what they were.

Did you fix bigbees issue?

Joe, what, in your view, now works on this game, and what bugs remain to be fixed?

It seems there is no monitoring of this game - else why did you have to ask for a username, when no users were working?

I would think there would be a couple of "test" teams that you would use, and verify them manualy every game, to know that your data base was scoring properly.

Again, this pool is now being advertised on tv during the game - I would think the people responsible for those ads would expect better than what we have.

Specific updates include the following:

Visible Changes

- Shootout goals are recorded

- Shutouts are recorded

Behind the scenes changes

- Faster performance

- Changed how the games are recorded and updated (this kind of effects the visible side as well)

- Rewrote the core functions that handle the stats updating

- Made the code more flexible to work with

Thats just an update to show what I have been working on. Just so you know the stats were updated for november so all shutouts and shootout goals won't be recorded for October. I have to talk to the Canucks team about how to handle that first so I will update you guys tomorrow about that.

Bugs that need to be fixed:

- Hits need to be recorded (Priority)

- Players for selecting rosters should show who is dressed or not for more accurate picking

If I am missing anything let me know. I am going to head out now but will jump back on the forums later tonight.

I asked for a username because I like to check accounts that are 100% not working properly. It helps when searching the database. But when I looked into it I found out quickly that it was everyone and found out the problem which was fixed shortly.

So far that I know its just me testing this thing. I am right now developer, designer, manager, tech support and tester. I don't know if anyone else is testing this thing but the Canucks Team will have more people testing it and updating it in the future. Possibly in the month of January but I can't say for sure. Thats not my call.

I have been looking deep into this application and finding all the errors that people have mentioned having and finding new ones myself. Keep in mind that half of the code was not built by me and the application is now (Since the major update) almost 100% completely rewritten by me and still needs things added. It is close to say that this would be a 2.0 version to last years build. It is getting closer to a stable application. I am doing my best to make it so.

Well, again thanks for your efforts so far. And thanks for updating us here.

I wonder how many people play the pool on a regular basis? As very few of them look here for info. It would be nice if your messages were posted on the hockey pool homepage somehow.

I am glad to hear that the "canucks" are interested in getting this pool on track.

Again, thanks for our efforts and I hope you continue to delve into the game and fix all the bugs.

I will keep a eye out fo more problems and post them here.

The one suggestion I have is the roster itself. The way I see it you have 2 choices:

1/ monitor the team, and offer only the current guys on the team, including those in the press box. Update the team right up to game time, removing any last minute scratches, adding callups etc.

2/ offer everyone that has played this year, even if they are injured, or sent down to the minors. this requires us fans to pay attention to the team. Remove a player only if he is traded out of the organization

Thanks again for your post #116.

hopefully no one is blaming you for the condition of the game.

our frustration is the same bugs have existed for years, and we couldn even find anyone to fwd the bugs to, let alone find anyone to fix them.

So, we seem to have progress.

Well hey Joe good on on you for getting on our concerns,sincerely.You are dealing with a mess that was created a few years ago when a perfectly good format was replaced with this current version of CFH.I believe in your first couple of posts to #14rules was that your doing this pro-bono.If that is correct you deserve some patience from the fans who play this pool.So gl and ty for your hard work!

bigbee65

Archived