The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The unappreciated Tanev

needtogetswole

Tanev is the blueline version of Alex Burrows.

Undrafted - overlooked - but loaded with the right kind of intangibles. They even slightly resemble each other.

Good enough to break into the NHL on sheerly outstanding defensive play alone - not the biggest, fastest or particularly physical player - just effective.

Burrows first full season in the NHL was a 9 point season.

Tanev may not be scoring...yet... and I personally could care less about big hits.

His decision making is a step ahead, his positioning is precise, his stick work is excellent - he simply gets the puck out of his own end and onto teammates sticks. What's not to like?

Extremely under-rated.

I think he and Ballard are in for a solid year.

This is how Gillis is a good GM. Tanev came out of nowhere, we got Lapierre and Higgins for pretty much no one. Hes very good at "stealing" players. We also stole david booth, just wait until hes healthy, this board will forget he .... Dun dun dun..... GAME HUNTS!

He plays defence, period. The Canucks don't have a ton of D-men like that, so it's nice to have him. He has quite a bit of potential to move up the rankings as well, but I'm happy with him on the bottom pairing for now--I think he does an excellent job at his position given to him.

I'm sure once he puts on some more weight and keeps working on his shot it will get a lot better in the next few years.

Him and Hamhuis would be a good shutdown pairing. But I don't like a pairing of Ballard-Bieksa or Edler-Bieksa lol...

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Garrison

Ballard-Bieksa

what i like to remember about tanev is that he really has not filled out his frame yet. he may never be a huge hitter or have a big shot but both are bound to improve as he becomes a man.

To put it in perspective:

Edler 6'3'' 215lbs

Garrison 6'2'' 220lbs

Hamhuis 6'1'' 209lbs

Bieksa 6'0'' 206lbs

Ballard 5'11'' 200lbs

Tanev 6'2'' 191lbs

I think he is guaranteed to break 200lbs and could possible hit +210lbs.

I am excited to see what that extra power will add to his game!

*player weights and heights taken from their wiki pages.

Nice to see a thread like this. Especially with no one yelling "OMG he sucks because he has zero points!"

Not much more to add to what people have already said.

Tanev is reliable. Can't ask much more of a 5/6 defensemen. Eventually with more experience and once he fills out he will be even better which is a very good sign for the Canucks. He is already very positionally sound.

I'm sure once he puts on some more weight and keeps working on his shot it will get a lot better in the next few years.

Him and Hamhuis would be a good shutdown pairing. But I don't like a pairing of Ballard-Bieksa or Edler-Bieksa lol...

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Garrison

Ballard-Bieksa

Archived