55 replies to this topic

#31 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

what do you mean under-appreciated. He is playing with Ballard, that in itself means he is picking up more slack, I think the Canucks know what they have in Tanev on the 3rd pairing. The kid is so cool under pressure.

#32 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

I'm sure once he puts on some more weight and keeps working on his shot it will get a lot better in the next few years.

Him and Hamhuis would be a good shutdown pairing. But I don't like a pairing of Ballard-Bieksa or Edler-Bieksa lol...

Hamhuis-Tanev
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Bieksa

WOuld be good.. But Bieksa is much better off with Hamhuis. We can't have two defensemen who love jumping into the rush on the same pairing. That'd mean it'd always be 5 guys going up all the time and what happens if we don't score? Right now, the way that it is with the pairings, it's fine. Ballard and Tanev have great chemistry and I don't see it changing unless we run into injury problems

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#33 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

He is easily becoming one of my favorite players in a short amount of time. He's not flashy and plays responsibly, taking away lanes, crisp passes, etc. Exactly how I like to see a defenseman play.

Edited by DRCN SLYR, 25 January 2013 - 09:09 AM.

Posted Image

#34 The Nuckist

The Nuckist

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

what i like to remember about tanev is that he really has not filled out his frame yet. he may never be a huge hitter or have a big shot but both are bound to improve as he becomes a man.
To put it in perspective:
Edler 6'3'' 215lbs
Garrison 6'2'' 220lbs
Hamhuis 6'1'' 209lbs
Bieksa 6'0'' 206lbs
Ballard 5'11'' 200lbs

Tanev 6'2'' 191lbs

I think he is guaranteed to break 200lbs and could possible hit +210lbs.
I am excited to see what that extra power will add to his game!

*player weights and heights taken from their wiki pages.
"There are a lot of selfless players on our roster ... I think, to a man, if you asked the guys, they would rather win a game 1-0 than lose a game and get a hat trick. That's the type of guys we have in our room and that's the type of player you need to be successful."
-- Kevin Bieksa

#35 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

pretty sure everybody appreciates chris tanev.... especially our goalies

#36 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

We already know how good he is, but at the same time he doesn't do anything great.
He doesn't throw big hits, and isn't great offensively he's just there.

I would agree with the many comments of this type. I do appreciate Tanev and it is great to have him as a low-cap hit 3rd pairing guy who was undrafted -- a real bonus. He can eat up minutes without giving up scoring chances.

But it would be great if he can take the next step -- adding enough weight and strength to add a physical component to his game and generating a better shot. He is heavier and better offensively this year than last year and he is young enough that we can expect some further improvement.

#37 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Tanev has been hyped A LOT.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#38 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Tanev is looking pretty solid. He keeps his game simple and rarely is out of position. Good active stick.

He does need to work on his shot though as it is lighter than my 16 year old daughters' backhand.
Posted Image

#39 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Nice to see a thread like this. Especially with no one yelling "OMG he sucks because he has zero points!"

Not much more to add to what people have already said.

Tanev is reliable. Can't ask much more of a 5/6 defensemen. Eventually with more experience and once he fills out he will be even better which is a very good sign for the Canucks. He is already very positionally sound.

#40 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,181 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'm sure once he puts on some more weight and keeps working on his shot it will get a lot better in the next few years.

Him and Hamhuis would be a good shutdown pairing. But I don't like a pairing of Ballard-Bieksa or Edler-Bieksa lol...

Hamhuis-Tanev
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Bieksa

I'm not even worried about his shot or weight at the moment. The fact that he is so calm and defensively reliable and flawless, that is the most important part of his game. The other stuff can be worked on.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#41 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

You don't hear his name a lot as he doesn't screw up defensively or light it up offensively.

Almost always, whenever he is mentioned, it is about his smart play and composure.

So, I would agree he isn't a big topic but would disagree that he he is unappreciated.

#42 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Tanev has been hyped A LOT.

By whom?

Ask a fan of any other team if they know who Tanev is, I bet 9 out of 10 don't know.
Posted Image

#43 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

By whom?

Ask a fan of any other team if they know who Tanev is, I bet 9 out of 10 don't know.

Local broadcasters do...praised a lot during the Calgary game.

But you're right, not likely a lot out of he local market yet.

#44 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

By whom?

The OP was talking about CDC...

I agree that he's unknown out of Van though.

#45 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Words like "praise" or "positivity" "or "success" don't make me think "CDC". Ooops.

#46 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,414 posts

Local broadcasters do...praised a lot during the Calgary game.

But you're right, not likely a lot out of the local market yet.

I'm about to ask my only friend down here who is a hockey fan, he follows the Sabers and didn't like the Kassian trade.
Posted Image

#47 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,414 posts

Words like "praise" or "positivity" "or "success" don't make me think "CDC". Ooops.

Bwahahah!
Posted Image

#48 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

I guess our fans are so used to dogging every player that when someone says something nice about a player we call them overhyped.

And my Sabers fan friend doesn't know who he is and asked me why I was asking.

Edited by DRCN SLYR, 25 January 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Posted Image

#49 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I guess our fans are so used to dogging every player that when someone says something nice about a player we call them overhyped.

And my Sabers fan friend doesn't know who he is and asked me why I was asking.

I said HYPED not OVERHYPED. There's a difference bud.

#50 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

He's been unreal so far this year. Barely made any mistakes at all. I think he's going to be a great #2 defenseman one day.

#51 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Someone on 1040 called him our best defenceman....at least this far into the season. And I'd have to agree.

As far as pure defense, he IS the best. He just does not panic, and he knows when to fire it hard and when to use a soft touch just to bump the puck to a team mate. He knows how to steer off and contain even bigger forwards. His techniques of defending in hockey are comparable to Schneider's grasp on the techniques in goal.

I'd like to see what he could do with a top 4 partner. Right now he plays with Ballard, who I think is somewhat ruined by AV's personal dislike of him for some reason. Keith is scared to death of leading a rush up the ice, even though this used to be more his style and could help the team, because he knows if the puck ends up going the other way and into the net he'll be benched. So he's playing nervous and he is just lucky that Tanev is his partner and able to cover up his bad plays. Its painful watching Ballard trying his hardest to play defensive like Tanev, because the coach doesn't trust him to be offensive minded. Instead they could compliment each other, like Hamhuis does with Bieksa.

I hope MG realizes what he has and does not wait for the Summer and then low-ball him. Some other team might just realize the gem we have and snatch him away. He will hopefully get re-signed before the year is out.

#52 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

He's just so composed at such a young age. He like never makes mistakes. At the age of 23, he is able to make a guy like Ballard not a defensive liability.

He doesn't throw hits, but I don't recall him ever getting manhandled.

If he can play more minutes, he could be a serious shutdown d-man for us for the next 10 years. All at a low cap hit because he's small, doesn't hit, and doesn't provide any offense.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#53 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

He's quietly efficient, and doesn't get a ton of attention because he doesn't hit or produce offense. But he's reasonably young, has poise beyond his years, and still has room to grow into his respectable frame.

If he's able to pack on more muscle he could really be something. He's still got a lot of room to improve.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#54 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

He keeps it simple, no flashy plays, no major hits. I don't care I love Tanev, he's a strong reliable D-man for a young defender

#55 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

I'd say he's finally getting his due here in Vancouver and amongst some other knowledgeable hockey fans, but ask most fans of other teams and they've barely heard of him.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#56 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Watched Tanev play all year at Chicago, easily the best defenceman on the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.