The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[On going discussion] Tanev's Contract

Ilya Mikheyev

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you think Tanev is worth? His contract is up this year.

I think it would be interesting to see CDC's consensus vs. what Mike Gillis ends up doing. Obviously you can change your vote throughout the year until he has signed and then we can see how close CDC was to predicting it.

Tanev's stat lines last year:

NHL reg. season: 38 games - 2 goals, 5 assists, + 4.

NHL post season: 5 games - 0 goals, 0 assists, 0

2011-2012:

NHL reg. season: 25 games, 0 goals, 2 assists, +10

NHL post-season: 5 games, 0 points, +0

AHL reg. season: 34 games, 0 goals, 14 assists, +6

Unless he starts producing offense, he's going to be in the $1M to $1.5M range. He's a reliable 3rd pair defenseman who doesn't really offer much more than that. He's not a shutdown guy, he's not a point producer, he's not a physical threat, etc.

Being an RFA, he'll probably get a bridge deal and the opportunity to prove he's worth more.

Unless he starts producing offense, he's going to be in the $1M to $1.5M range. He's a reliable 3rd pair defenseman who doesn't really offer much more than that. He's not a shutdown guy, he's not a point producer, he's not a physical threat, etc.

Being an RFA, he'll probably get a bridge deal and the opportunity to prove he's worth more.

Ya, you're all in the ball park. Young D-men generally get more than young forwards with similar talent (Subban, Del Zotto, Carlsson as recent examples), I'll say a max of 1.8m for Tanev, but knowing MG he'll keep it down to 1.3-1.5 on a 3 year deal.

I like the idea of the topic, though I'm not sure how much debate something so cut and dry will create.

Ya, you're all in the ball park. Young D-men generally get more than young forwards with similar talent (Subban, Del Zotto, Carlsson as recent examples), I'll say a max of 1.8m for Tanev, but knowing MG he'll keep it down to 1.3-1.5 on a 3 year deal.

I like the idea of the topic, though I'm not sure how much debate something so cut and dry will create.

1 million. He's a solid player, but he'll take less. He doesn't have much negotiating power. Tanev is reliable, but doesn't really hit, can't shoot, and doesn't put up points. His strengths are being in the right place and a good first pass.

I love him as a good 3rd pair player. But a guy like Fayne got 1.3 million. Tanev is not on that level yet. He'll get less.

Archived